• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Peach?

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
I went to my second local tournament :3 i got seriously close in each set, but never won. But anyways, Please critque my peach on my matches. Tell me what i do wrong, i dont care if its mean, as long as you learn from the mistakes

Teams: Im the Blue Peach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7hOolQXmII&context=C326fea8ADOEgsToPDskLr8hmnW6wdas9hsDXAIZ8D

Singles: I am peach in both fights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bKkDH8HOg&context=C3100439ADOEgsToPDskJD89yJ1u8EcLpbKHvYwO_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ldUkOOIrZI&context=C3200b7aADOEgsToPDskJJUgyIOOnv7SYRWfh6MohL

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I know the person you played in singles. Pyro. =D

I'll edit this for more comments soon, but I'll tell you know that you need to work on your movement in general. In this metagame, I think Peach needs to move a lot faster, and not get stuck in things like you seem to. I'll elaborate later tonight.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Ok, so I'm really late on these, and I'm sorry. Fits of laziness conquered me.

Teams: As Peach, one of your roles is to kind of act as a wall to keep the slower character out, while staying within range to help your teammate if necessary. You seemed to let yourself get separated a lot, and the match became 2 1v1s, which is NOT the same as a teams match. Whoever you team with, make sure you guys work on being synchronized. And don't let them divide you up.

Singles:

A lot of what you seemed to be doing were things from nerves, which I understand, but if you know Pyro at all, he's not that scary. ^^; In any case, that'll go away with the more tournament sets you play.

Against Marth, DI his throw combos down and away, to avoid multiple followups. You were getting fthrow > fthrow > tippered, which you can negate by DI'ing down + away. There was a point when you up B'd out the fthrow chain...that was probably him messing up, don't count on it to work.

Recovering low against Marth is a bad idea, don't ever do it (his dtilt gives you NO height to DI with, and you'll probably die, since it's impossible for her to sweetspot the ledge with her parasol). Mix up between high recovery and mid recovery.

You need to be able to wavedash/dash dance versus Marth (make sure you don't do it too much) to keep him honest, and stay mobile. Once you let Marth lock you down at all, you lose. You seem to move very stiffly. She's awkward to maneuver, yes, and nerves probably played a part. So make sure you keep your techskill fresh.

You already know about the rolling. Rolling in towards him can be a legitimate strat (ONLY as a mixup), but you were doing it too much. Consider your other options out of shield (namely, wavedashing), and mix them in so that you don't get stuck rolling all the time. Also, tech skill.

Try to snipe Marth with dash attacks when he jumps (or as he's landing). These can lead into uairs, and other cool combo moves. Makes sure you practice your combos on Marth (they're somewhat difficult to time/land, so you need to make sure you can do them).

Time your spotdodges, and mix them up so that Marth won't read them. Spot dodging is "good" against him, just do it intelligently. When you use turnips, don't think so much about approaching Marth, but manipulating him, controlling him with the turnips. Look at how he reacts to them, and adjust your play to that. For example, if he likes shielding turnips, you can go for grabs more after throwing turnips.

Toad is bad. Try to use it (at most) once a match. But even that is risky, because punishment is high if you miss.

Edge guarding Marth is tricky. If he recovers low, just grab the ledge, and punish his onstage lag, or use the Marth killer (roll towards the edge, and with your back to it, hold down Z, and angle the lightshield away and down). If he's going low, and your on the ledge, don't give up the ledge until the point where he has to upB, so you don't give him the ledge, while having time to punish him if he lands onstage. Recoveries higher than that, you can throw turnips out to catch, or sometimes go out with an aerial to get him.

And more tech skill.

For Fox: This MU is still foreign to me, but I can tell you that wavedash back > downsmash is your friend. If you can call an approach from him (short hop nair), use that to punish him. You need to stay VERY mobile, while simultaneously stopping Fox's momentum, with jabs/aerials/downsmashes. Make sure you can.

Idle floating will get you upsmashed. Don't stay in one place for any extended period of time.

Make sure you know how to get grabs on Fox. You MUST grab him. It instantly puts you at an advantage, stops his momentum...grabs are too good. Building from that, make sure you can chaingrab Fox. Go into training mode, place a CPU Fox on 30 or so percent, and set him to Evade. Then just chase him down, grab, uthrow, and see if you can chaingrab him to 100. Make sure it's consistent.

I feel like this is a lot of babbling, but I hope it helps you. If you have any questions about what I said (if something doesn't make sense, is different from something you know, etc) just ask. You can also visit our main thread with other questions: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242179

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
First off, i'd like to thank you for GOOD ADVICE. I've been getting the world's meanest critique from people im better than. I dont mean to say that in a flashy way, but they dont go to tournaments and dont understand the difference in gameplay. For example one of my friends told me "Don't get 0-death by that marth!" , and that is REALLY broad and explains nothing. Okay, so now to what i was gonna say. My teams skills is not in the LEAST ready for tournament. We weren't ready, at all XD. But i will take the advice you gave me and put it to work. Those f-throws, i had no idea with how to deal with them. I havent really fought a high quality marth before, so i tried a bunch of DI, and i never got it right :p. And your right, Pyro is a very cool guy. My wavedash/dashdance game is alright, im not impressed with it -_- like i mess up randomly,and sometimes im good, so i have to work on that. The toad was a BUNCH of bs on my part. I was thinking "Maybe i'll get him THIS TIME", and then repeated that thought until i died -__- Marth puts so much pressure on you, so it was my way of trying to get him to move back (Which failed, badly.) And i HAVE to start grabbing the ledge. I remember in one game, i went the wrong way to float there because of my shaky nerves, and when i watched it, i facepalmed SOOOO much. I was ashamed >.<. With fox, thats one of my FAVORITE matchups. I dont know why, but fox is in such a nice weightclass, and i like fast paced games. I also need to learn to chain grab fox. I can do it as marth, but not as peach. Thanks for the advice! I can now put this stuff into my notebook of Smash Bros. After that tournament, i started a notebook to write about matchups, and it works really well, i just have to read them before a match or on the way to a tournament, because once im in a tournament set, 8/10 times my mind just goes blank. But, i will boost my confidence and try to attend No Johns in April, and get some friendlies with him >:D

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
That makes me happy, that it helped. =D

Your teams partner should be someone you play with regularly, so that you know them and their mind well, and so they know you.

I used to use Toad a LOT, cause I thought I was smart. But if they react to the Toad hit, I believe they can tech it, and punish you in the lag (so even if you get the read, you can lose). I don't want to say abandon it completely, but I'd say abandon it for now (throw it out in friendlies if you wish, if you really believe in the move, but it's not good. :( )

It's difficult to train yourself to grab the ledge. I feel as though I've just recently started doing that decently. It just takes mental training.

Notebooks are very good. Make sure you keep details like percents in there, and mixups. I've heard that keeping data on "rivals" that you meet in tournament can be good as well, to foster adaptation, and just so you can learn the player vs player aspect of the game. But I'd just start with technical data.

Again, I'm glad you got something from this. It's a nice reply to see. :) And when you go to the next No Johns, tell Pyro I said hi. And ask him about his "amazing Fox." He'll know.

Good luck!

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
It's funny, because i have REALLY good notes, but i never use them, which i need to start doing. Im starting my new section about Sheik :p and one say when i get older, i hope to be one of America's top peach players, not just armada, but someone that people suggest in crew >:D

LMNO

Smash Rookie
You a really good peach player compared to me lol. i haven't been to a tourney yet but i plan on starting this summer. I main peach and the advice mixed with the videos on this thread have been really helpful. i spend hours youtubing and playing with friends but its hard to get better when your playing with people that aren't even as good as you. Do you just practice all the teching by yourself?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
As far as tech skill goes, yes, you learn it and acquire it by yourself. Then, when you're playing friendlies, try to use the new stuff as much as possible (for example, if you've been practicing float cancel nairs, just spam float cancel nairs. These are friendlies, you use them to learn, not win, and by spamming them, you refine your skill, secure your ability to use it in actual matches, and you learn in what situations FC nairs are good, and what situations they aren't good in). Granted, you'll need to play with people on your skill level (or a little bit above you) to learn these situations better.

But yes, all of the technical/movement aspects of your character, you practice in training mode.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
That, and remember to master wavedashing, dashdancing, wavelands , etc (all kinds of movements), then learn the big stuff. Like spacing, mindgames.

Top Bottom