• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

critique my ness please! (vids) still improving slowly :]

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
its been a while since i got a working gamecube. mine broke a while ago and i havent played for 3 weeks or so. but i can finally play and i got some vids, yay. i also finally have videos of me fighting another character besides bowser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1C1bfbl-J8 (vs G&W)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlyQtLVdDQ (vs G&W)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3DDM-psNQ8 (vs bowser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKuM2BAwYE (vs bowser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMM5hCAWUdM (vs falco)

i still have bad habits i need to kick, i was getting use to kicking them before my gamecube broke, but they came back -_-

critique please! thanks

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I like your progress. You seem to be getting a lot better pretty fast.

I still think you should WD more. A lot in the first vid, you put your shield up and just did a basic jump out of it. This leaves you pretty vulnerable. You should try to WD out of sheild. A lot of those rolls would have been good as wavedashes too.

Also, after you dthrow, I'd reccommend running up to them and DjCing an fair rather than shuffling one earleir, or using a dash attack.

Practice sweetspotting the edge with PKT2. You can hit a bit under the ledge and still grab it due to Ness' large sweetspot range. I think you could have survived your first KO in the second vid.

Lay up on the dash attack, DJC fair more. Sets up for grabs greatly.

Be a bit more careful with PK Fire. You got punished a lot for the lag.

JC ALL of your grabs.

Dont dthrow Falco. He falls too fast and its really hard to follow up with anything. Uthrow instead.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
watching the last one. DjC more, then more mindgames. you're pretty good ;)

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
thank you all for the critiques :]

i dont know how to do yo yo glitch and i cant seem to find a video of it to learn from. ive read it before but i never know if i am doing it right or wrong. i try to JC all of my grabs, but sometimes i mess up. WDing is hard to put into use effectively for me :[ , i get hit right after i WD a lot, but i think thats because the opponent is charging at me or jumping towards me for an attack. my first instinct is usually to roll back, tsk..

is there a way to get the opponent after a dthrow before they tech away? ive dashed + A and djc + a before, but i dont get them as often as i would like. :\

edit: are the opponents i am playing against good for me to play with?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I watched the vid of you vs. Falco since I know that you play the Bowser more often (since both of you know each others playstyle already) Follow what eb360 said. Try to get in grab combos with Ness. His grabs are excellent for combos. Try to use more than 5 moves per match. I hardly ever saw a uair, dair (esp on character easy to meteor smash like falco), bair, or nair. You basically spam fair the entire match, which everyone in the smash community already knows that that is what all that Nesses do. Try to find a unique playstyle as well (with ness it isn't that easy, but you did use pk fire a lot so that could be your defining move or something). Mabye you could make a strategy based off of pk Fire or something. I know I'm kinda shooting high here.

I think the falco is a good opponent for you.

Gotta love those cows. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
For dthrow, do not use it on fastfallers. I used to do that, and I'm trying to break the habit. They can DI away and techroll.

For regular fallers, such as that Bowser and G&W, you should dthrow, and run up to them, follow up with a DjCed fair moving forward. You shouldshock them right before they hit the floor and they should end up on their feet right before you, making a good set up for another grab.

Moo?
Moo...
MOO!

Ness_Superfair

Smash Rookie
Nice Ness vids, I am on your level (slightly better ;p) but yeah I remember when I first started using ness I was horrible with stuff such as wd, djcing, and all that other fun stuff.. but eventually if you just keep practicing and playing it kinda becomes second nature. I saw in your other vid you got a tad better, nice.

I have gotten a lot better with ness since I joined up here at smashboards. Great community and awesome connectibility with other smashers in your area ala GSC! Thanks simna.

I might put my ness vids up here soon too, that is if I get around to actually recording a few matches that id like other "pros" to critique..

chicken go cluck cluck, cow go mooooo!

p.s. I still can't YYG very well either...

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
i watched the falco vid...and i must say that video made me want to die....everytime the camera went out of focus it knocked the wind out of me

oh but the fighting was fun^_^

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I only watched the Falco vid, as the camera blur gave me a headache, but I'll give my thoughts on that match. Like the others said, no dthrow, though vs. Falco I like the forward throw near the edge to set up for gimping recovery. I like that you try to use pk fire for said recovery gimpage, but you need to get out there with it, not stand back and hope the firebird goes into it. Your move variety needs some work, but I'm sure that'll come as you become more comfortable against each match up. Your spacing was spot on for some recoveries, just didn't have the timing to bat some bird. I'm with sage on less fair, more of the others, but the fair definitely is good for stopping falco's horrible recovery. Also, I like throwing pk thunders into people on platforms above me, but that isn't necessarily a requirement. Your bairs were nice a large chunk of the time. If you promise to keep your next videos in focus, I'll watch them all so as to be more helpful.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
I like where you're going (only watched the falco vid). However, one thing that hasn't been brought up here are your air dodges. You had the right idea on both of your deaths to air dodge to the ledge. However, you need to get better at air dodging straight for the ledge as opposed to just above it. That's what got you finished off on both of your lost stocks. Also, if you get your timing down a little bit better on the edge guarding, you'll have that Falco tamed in no time.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
im sorry....i feel the need to explain my last post...

its not that i dont care(i do)....its just that the reason i didnt really give you any constructive feedback on your videos is because i really like to let players progress naturally as much as i can unless i am able to play them myself(and at your stage in the game these other nice fellows are giving useful info), so i rarely give tips other than short and quick little tidbits of info most of the time(rarely ever extensive stuff). I'm just saying that I hope my last post was in no way offensive.

Oh but I will say something if one of these other guys tries to trick and tell you to do something ridiculous like JC your pivot grabs^_^ lol

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
That's why you're not stickying the Ness super guide. I spent nearly an hour wondering why you didn't.

_clinton

Smash Master
You said your looking for a video of the YYG? Simna's PK thunder Guide (one of them I think it's part 2) has a video of it. However just try it on the stages where you can use it well, or at least somewhat well (Green Greens, Yoshi's Isle new, Ice mountain stage, MK II, Flat Zone, Brinstar).

You took down Falco's video.

Well, for some of your matches I noticed you were unable to get to the foes after sending them flying and when you did they were able to fight again, how about sending 8% of PK thunder there way and force them to come to you after they recover? You know to make them bring the fight to you. Thats what I would rather do: fight them with a weapon, when I can't reach them, to avoid such wonderful things such as the Bowser Bomb.

Top Bottom