• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Mewtwo

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Some quick pointers:

Be more aggressive when you land your down tilt. You can often follow them up with grabs or more down tilts.

When he Forward B's your shield while you're facing backwards, don't back air out of shield. It has poor knock back in those situations and it can be too slow most of the time. Use a short hop neutral air out of shield instead to create a platform/ground techchase.

Use Down throw a little bit more on platform stages, even at low percentage as they'll create more tech chase opportunities. Also use down throw when you're facing away from the stage (at 2:19) instead of back throw since they'll often DI back into your down throw and you can get a kill combo from that, or they'll DI away from the down throw and you can edgehog and THEN you use back throw to throw them after their laggy recovery.

If they try to recover low while you're on the edge, then you can pursue them with your back airs.

You're throwing out Up Smash a lot, I'm not sure if it is intentional or not, but you typically don't want to use that move until they're at a percentage where they won't punish you for getting hit. Up Tilt under platforms is much more efficient at almost any percentage. Up Smash has more utility on a stage like FoD than even Yoshi's Story. It just gives you that surprise last hit like on Pokemon Stadium, but most of the time people will shield the whole thing even if they're not getting hit immediately out of fear/instinct.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Thank you Taj =) . Advice is very good. Nair out of shield to stop the raptor boost, what types of grabs to use when facing certain ways, is something I wouldn't think of right away for my Mewtwo play style.

The host plays Mewtwo as his main; his name is UnknownPresence. He doesn't post here though. I want to have M2 Dittos with him. It sounds like a fun match up but I don't know.

OrangeMewtwo1337

Smash Cadet
Awesome edgegame, definatly a huge obstacle for those pesky foxes. But yeah like taj said, you really shouldn't throw your up smash up unless it fits perfectly, which really isn't until it will KO them or will lead you to a favorable position. Its punishable if you don't connect it properly, and even if you do, your not left with a whole lot of options compared to your uptilt.

Hpnotiq

Smash Cadet
im not very good at giving advices, but i think u gotta work on your spacing a little, i know its hard for mewtwo, but not impossible

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Meh. you're not bad. more practice is needed is all. to put it plainly you need to be passive agressive playing Mewtwo, esp. against C. Falcon. You just don't exploit openings ruthlessly enough yet. good job winning the second match.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Thanks for your comments guys! I seriously have to work on him more. I did a ditto and it didn't go to good.

@Shadowball2; to be a more passive aggressive playing Mewtwo. Thanks for the philosophy. I actually however started already acting like this in my matches.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Thanks for your comments guys! I seriously have to work on him more. I did a ditto and it didn't go to good.
That's cause Mewtwo counters Mewtwo... O.o

@Shadowball2; to be a more passive aggressive playing Mewtwo. Thanks for the philosophy. I actually however started already acting like this in my matches.
Your welcome. Since Mewtwo doesn't have G&W's priority, you must be tricky lol.

I also main Marth, and sometimes find myself trying to play Mewtwo like Marth... which doesn't work too well. :laugh:

The Phenom

Smash Lord
That's cause Mewtwo counters Mewtwo... O.o

Your welcome. Since Mewtwo doesn't have G&W's priority, you must be tricky lol.

I also main Marth, and sometimes find myself trying to play Mewtwo like Marth... which doesn't work too well. :laugh:
So true about how if we play another of our mains we would play like our main or other mains combined. I tend sometimes to play as Game and Watch when I'm Fox(second main); more cautious which is good.

Mewtwo counters Mewtwo; a real balanced match up, and only will Mewtwo counter itself if the player is better than the other on that specific character.

Ps: I'll get some more vids up soon for critiquing.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Nice M2 actually. I was surprised by some of the tactics you used (a lot of nair and bair pressuring). Your grab game seems solid - or, at the very least, you're getting a lot of grabs, which is awesome. You definitely had some nice down throw tech chases going in the second match. And you were pretty smart with the back throw usage. The majority of your kills were just back throw to edgeguard, and that's the way to do it, for sure. Keep it simple and effective.

Your playstyle (or more specifically, movement pattern) is pretty different from what I'm used to seeing. Just like how you mix up dash dances and rolls. I don't know. I'm used to seeing a lot of wavedancing > dtilt x 10 and then like grab and tech chase/back throw from there.

I guess what I'm saying is to dtilt more. And you should probably charge shadow ball fully whenever you get a kill instead of showing off with wavelanding (because I noticed you did this in the match on Yoshi's).

Top Bottom