• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my mewtwo.

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
Right off the back in the first vid. I should have seen a D-tilt to D-throw on that Ganon. D-throw to D-tilt works on big characters.You got better later in the first vid. U-throw after 125%. They will die. Smooth out the WD. The Falcon match was yours and you let it slip. Your Mewtwo is good but needs polishing.

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
First and foremost, you really need work on your movement. Movement is in my opinion the most important aspect of mewtwo. You gotta get those perfect wavedashes down cold, period. This will mostly improve your approaches on enemies and also help confuse the player.

Secondly, you need to work on your edgeguard. There were waaaay too many times where ganon and cfalc were basically given a free chance to get back on the stage, and they're the EASIEST to edgeguard! You had the right idea though to down smash sometimes, but you didn't do them at the right time. Basically if they're coming back, charge the dSmash and it should destroy anyone that misses the sweetspot. If they go over your head, then the recovery from dSmash is quick enough to turn around after, grab them, and throw them back off. Bair edgeguard is usually not a good idea, especially if they're near the ledge, because it's really easy to miss them.

Speaking of bair, you used it way too much. Over using the bair will get you sorely punished. Also, don't use the bair against someone who just land right behind. Instead, try to turn around and grab or nair since it hits from all sides. Bair is just way to slow to pull off to punish them.

Last thing I noticed was that when you got people with dtilts, you never followed up with a grab. You should almost always go in for the grab after like 1, 2 or possibly 3 dtilts. It's basically a free grab unless it's luigi or somethin.

Oh yeah, and try to use your charged shadowballs more wisely.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I didn't even notice when you LCT'd at 1:34 in the Falcon match until I watched it back. Good that you're starting to try and implement more tricksies.

Put the other matches up, fo.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
If you can LCT consistently I admire. just saying.
I"m not in the watching Youtube mood rite now.
but wavedashing is the way to go. I know, it's pretty simple x.x

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
i'm going to sound like a huge ******* saying this, and maybe even get flamed due to my near no posts, but i was less than impressed by your play. i've been playing a couple years and this reminds me of when i play my friends that complain items are turned off, its just in slow motion. now don't get me wrong, you've got shuffling down well, and even some good djc, but in general its incredibly easy for me to predict your movements, and i'm not that good. for instance, you always teleport full right or left, when you do it would be very easy for a good player to counter that; also, you shot off your shadow ball when both players were relatively inert, making it easy to dodge for anyone worthwhile. also, as was said before, this isn't dk's bair, its mewtwo's. don't use m2's bair like dk's, it won't work. you can get really good, as discouraging as this sounds, but just work on your tech to begin with, and then work on being more unpredictable. predictability will get you killed. believe me, you'll end up just fine with some work, but you need to get your tech speed way up before you can be competitive. god bless bottom tier.

Fabulous

Smash Cadet
Was this really called for?
I thank you for the critique, it is undoubtedly the most useful and in depth critique I have had so far, and is actually what I was looking for.

all I am saying is that this:

:but i was less than impressed by your play. i've been playing a couple years and this reminds me of when i play my friends that complain items are turned off, its just in slow motion."
Was totally uncalled for and helped the post in no way at all. I didn't create this thread to "impress" people, but to simply collect critique so I improve my play. Might I remind you that mewtwo IS horridly slow, unless that slowness has been overcome with a Ridonkulous amount of tech skill, i.e. taj. I've been playing for more than a year, and withing the last few months started to main as mewtwo.

I am currently working on my:
predictabily and speed of course, LCT, tele-edgehog, and IDJC.
I going to put a new vid up within the next week or so, and I would ask of you to critque that, without the "extraneous" material.

oh, and delx, im almost there.:)

quak

Smash Champion
chills to the max power

don't take anything personaly, ever

...that is unless the distance of their face is less than the distance jab reach

NOW GO LOOK AT MY VIDS! :p

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
i see what you're saying, sorry if i ruffled your feathers a little bit. that wasn't meant to be a putdown at all, just to say you've got some work to do ya know? but yeah, i'm sorry about that, and keep working at it still, for two months of work that's not bad at all.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Fab, one thing I noticed:

You missed way too many opportunities (was watching link vids) to punish because of rolling. Rolling should be a last ditch thing, not general practice, especially as mewtwo's takes so long.

Some general advice, that's all :)

ajc3388

Smash Rookie
you can definitely move a lot faster than you're moving even as mewtwo. When someone here says move faster, it means you can move faster, and any sort of excuse people here know is untrue. You also back throw a lot even at low percents. D-throw or u-throw (on fast fallers) is basically your best chance (notice the word chance) to rack up damage. u-throw to Fair 2x, or d-throw -> d-tilt chains are best. or d-tilt -> djc fair. or djc fair -> d-tilt.

but mainly, your movement needs work. Avoid rolling at all costs in the beginning. play as if you didnt have one, and only WD. This will teach you to WD better and faster. then once your WD is down, incorporate some rolling again.

Top Bottom