• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Mario

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wasssssuuuup maaan!!! I like it that you got sound, but I'll miss those songs.
Anyways, the Mario wasn't bad for just pickin him up, I do have a few tips for ya though. Most important thing I see is too much full jumping. You need to make your moves quick because Jim will catch on to the lag of the FJ and Dash back then forward to punish it. On the same note, keep the Uairs SHFFLed as well. Uthrow is your best friend vs a spacie, unless you wanna For Bthrow when on the edge. Dthrow is alright when at higher damages. When you caped his illusion and he just fell withotu teching(it's ok Jim, Twitch does it too), you're better option than Usmash is probably Dsmash. You wanna get Fox off of the edge so you can cape the Firefox or tilt/smash/fireball/cape the illusion. Your predictions of his movments were good, but sometimes you just weren't fast enough to punish him. This ability can come from incorporating DDing with WDing into movement mindgames, or just knowing which SHFFL to use at what range. Dash attacks are usually a bad idea, especially against an opponent that can CC very well. Speaking of which, you need to include a little more CC yourself. I'm not saying you didn't do it, it's just to counter all of Fox's Nairs and jabs, CCing can really mess him up and even get some grab combos started. One more thing bout SHFFLs, you use the Fair a little more than most Marios. You can use as much as you want and do pretty well, but most Marios find that the windup lag is just too much. Maybe you can try substituting some Dair approaches instead? You moved better in the match on FD, but you were still a little predictable. Try approaching a little higher or lower than usual, or you could even fake an attack and draw him out, then punish.
I hope this wasn't too long or anything, I just wanna help your Mario man. Good to see some Kidz vids again.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Your approaches are mostly Nair Shffls which arent good to do so offen always change your approach DUE to the behaviour of the enemy!
If he Shields coz hes scared you come with a Dair shffl approach to Jab to Grab to UpThrow
--> Never DThrow a Fox, it only works at high % but you'll want a kill before anyway so always UpThrow

Use SHBWD (Short Hop Bair WaveDash Short Hop Bair WaveDash (other direction for spacing matters)
Always move so he cant predict you and cant get you very well. Dash Dance to WaveDash out or something.
FullJump Dair to Nair/Bair/Uair to Uair Shffl maybe a few Bair according to where the character is but you gotta be fast.

More Normal Approaches :

Empty Airials : Dash to the Enemy pretending youre about to do the Nair (he would want to shield grab) but dont do the Nair WaveDash BACK away from him and do the Same again until he tries to grab and with the Lag of the Grab you Grab him or SHFFL him yourself
I would prefer Grab because Mario ***** Fox when he gets him in a Grab.

A good option (when the enemy is going berserker mode, is to run away and do a sudden Grab attempt its a good mindgame. Or a sudden Dair shffl attempt

Jabs :
SideStep to Jab is great because you can easily grab him that way.
--> SideStep is very important when the Enemy is tryin many Grabs
Any SHFFL attack to Jab VERY important!!! Especially Fair, Nair, and Dair Dair is the best option because it has Priority it hits consekutive amount of times and gets below the Shield ;D then Jab and **** him

Full TapA Combo!!! :
Use this when the enemy has more than 50% its very useful because you can trick him!!! He would think youre planning to stop after the 2 one or 1st but then a final blow comes and BAM he got the boot to the Head biatch!!! After that you can come at him and attempt Grab or a SHFFL but I suggest a Grab would be best!!!

Dash Danceing :
Dash Dance when you hit him and he is teching on the ground its dangeous to run into it because he might want to use the A attack and he will be invincible so keep away with DashDance and after hes vulnerable ATTACK HIM!!! With a Grab would be best.

UpTilt,FTilt :
FTilt is good for EG generally but complicated to use as a good mindgame. Also good for Marths and has pretty good range.
UpTilt is GREAT for Combo starters you best do it from an UpThrow you can even do it more and more times it will bring 12% damage or something so its a good move!
Ways to use it :
-When the Enemy is above you trying to try something out the UpTilt is strong and has Priority, space his moves with WaveDash and UpTilt!!!
-WD to UpTilt (i dont recommend this its hard to use in a good way)
-After a Jab/Nair/Uair!/Bair/ FullJump Dair/ normal Dair shffl approach

And watch Green Mario's latest videos and copy some moves and mindgames^^
Be sure to use my advice Im not saying Im good or anything it just happens that I know alot about Marios Smash psychologie and mindgame systems^^
And about the Attacks but that is something you HAVE to know.

Btw, @Dr. PeePee : Im sure you know this already but Uair Shffl combos are most useless against Fox and Falcos because 1. they fly far after the Uair 2. they need lots of % 3. they arent as tall and are fast fallers so it works bad or not at all, but like I said Im sure you know this

To start a Uair Combo (pretty Tall chars. (Marth,Roy,Mario,Doc,Samus,Falcon)) : You need to know what to do on each.
On Fast Fallers that are Tall (Falcon) you can Uair SHFFL but you will need more than 40% and I would definitly recommend to start after givin him an UpTilt or sending him prety high up like just above you so you dont let him get to the ground
On Characters that fall normal (Marth,Doc) : You can start with a single Uair its actually enough you just need to be fast.
But generally I think its better using it after you send them pretty high.
Oh and you only need more tahn 30% or something against these.

READ IT xD I know its much but Trust me you'll regret it if you dont^^ Again, Im not saying Im good I just happen to know alot about Marios attacks and the other Characters

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ah, I get what you're sayin, but I wasn't goin for a Uair combo, just tellin him to keep them SHFFLed is all. Your stuff is right though.

Top Bottom