• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Mario, please.

j3ly

Smash Champion
Heres the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gMl7dSXP4

Consists of 3 games, with the stage/char select cut out for ur viewing pleasure. Unfortunately the only games that i lose on my pc are ones where i was baked, and do not give a good scope of me as a player, so are thus not included. Will try to get some losses up asap. :D

Thanks, constructive criticism only if u guys wud be so kind.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Grab is usually a better follow to Fair than D-smash is.

Also, what the hell was your opponent doing? No Fairs? With GAME & WATCH? No D-tilts? Like what the hell? Constantly spamming F-smashes that have no chance of hitting?

j3ly

Smash Champion
i dunno, outta of the 6 games we recorded, he was fairing, dtilting nd jabbing like crazy the first one
*shrugs*

j3ly

Smash Champion
goin off topic here, i appreciate ur concern but rest ASSURED my friend doesn't need your help.

thankyou for your grab advise :) I normally do so against foxes and falcos (any excuse for a cg lol), perhaps I'll try it more often. May as well dthrow -> dsmash haha

j3ly

Smash Champion
dizzard, and re21/drop was the falcon at the end. met on facebook nd their local (kinda), which is awesome cos i have sum1 whos not deathgazer to play with :) however they dont hold a candle to adrian lol

and yes!! i cant wait, its a shame that i have no cube tho :(

edit - actually tamoo pm me fuzzyness no, i wanna get that this afternoon -_-

Tamoo

Smash Master
ah dizzard, fair enough, do know of him

One bit of advice for ur mario to stay on topic is (as much as i know ur gonna hate this lol) ur a bit aggresive. Your always going in and hitting them, rather than letting them hit you

but i feel as though ill never get you to camp haha

pm on ur way

j3ly

Smash Champion
im open to all suggestion, if i knew was camping entailed id get good at it. i can be tooo agressive, notice how dan (rather poorly, however)attacks where he thinks ima be the entire game. didnt work out, but the gist is ther

ty tamao

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Your approach is way too readable. It's invariably dash out then dash back in with an attack.

Which might work against a low quality Game and Watch like that, but against someone who plays a Marth or Falcon or... intelligently at all, that's not going to fly.

Also, you didn't grab a single time that entire first match. Come on now. You're Mario, not Fox, you can't just spam aerials for the win.

You really need a better opponent, who doesn't let you get away with stuff like that.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I think its time to put our matches together on youtube :p

Oh yeah, I still want those vids of me and deathgazer, if possible, got my internet back yesterday so it should be alrite.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i have 1 or 2, my game steps up according to my opp. if he is better than me i read, sometimes very well. but this is dependent on my morale, which can suck sometimes.

tyvm 4 ur advise elf.

j3ly

Smash Champion
haha fine ill put them up and add the link. but at my own horror, that was an extreamly stonned and uninspiring night for me. may sap more advise tho on the plus side

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I thought jely did ok. That was good shield pressure on the Game and Watch (GnW). GnW's shield dies out rather quickly so you may as well take advantage of his inability to shield lots of hits.The n-airs and SHBAWL (shorthopped b-airs wavelanded) seemed to work very well on the GnW. And landing behind his shield to avoid getting grab was also very good. I was also impressed with some of the combos. Especially the first stock of the first match. Your f-airs were spaced pretty nicely as well, and out of GnW's grab range.

The edgeguarding was decent. For the most part it looks like you covered your opponent's recovery options with b-airs very well. Even when the b-airs missed you managed to stage spike him with Up-B. Although the GnW player could have tried countering your approaches with spaced out/retreating f-airs or dashdances, you did good against a GnW who did not. You did not use very many grabs vs. the GnW, and it does not look like you needed to do so since the approach you used was efficient enough. I mean, he almost got 4-stocked in the first match. There's no need to change up an approach if your approach is already working well. So good job.

The Falcon looks like he had his way a little bit. The probably with Falcon is that you have to respect his aerial game by shielding a lot and playing a dodge and roll game out of his approaches. He's so fast and sometimes you don't know when a knee or a grab is coming or when a grab is coming or when anything is coming at all.

If you do manage to grab him at a low percent like you did at 6:37, I would suggest chaingrabbing (CG) him. You could at least get his damage up to 50% that way, plus seceding follow-ups. I noticed you had a light-shield appear immediately after the upthrow once you got the grab. Perhaps, you tried to regrab but you pressed the grab button before your character was through with the upthrow animation. That used to happen to me all of the time. That just takes timing and getting use to.

I would just suggest trying to avoid the knee by trying to shield or roll. Or you can beat it with a nair because Falcon's knee has startup lag. As for being in the air above Falcon, your two safest options are air dodging or d-airing.

Overall, it looks like you had the right idea, I did see you manage to shieldgrab a knee and you attempted to d-air/b-air your way out of the air against Falcon's air game. Falcon just a tough match until he's in Mario's chaingrab/grab combos or he's offstage. And your Mario has the tech skill to win even against great opponents. The jab-->Uptilt combos against the Falcon on the first stock were nice combos as well.

Keep up the good work.

Your approach is way too readable. It's invariably dash out then dash back in with an attack.

Which might work against a low quality Game and Watch like that, but against someone who plays a Marth or Falcon or... intelligently at all, that's not going to fly.

Also, you didn't grab a single time that entire first match. Come on now. You're Mario, not Fox, you can't just spam aerials for the win.

You really need a better opponent, who doesn't let you get away with stuff like that.
Even if Jely's approach was readable, the GnW couldn't find a way around it. Higher level opponents always help a smasher to get better in general. I would suggest finding other opponents to help your Mario game get better faster. Otherwise, just keep training your opponents that you have now to get better so that they'll give you a bigger challenge later on. I don't really know if your Mario adjusts its playstyle against better opponents or not. That would just be something we'd all have to see for ourselves.

unknown522

Some guy
it's hard to critique when you could 4-stock the opponent whenever you want.

I can help the GAW.

Vs falcon, use your u-tilt / u-smash to stop him from blindly running in with approaches. You could've also shield-grabbed your friend a lot if you really wanted, though that's not good advice against bad players. Exploiting weaknesses until they learn is a part of the game though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Your Mario's pretty technical. I would say just work on reading people instead of using the same approaches over and over.

Also, I thought it was pretty silly how the Falcon could moonwalk easily but didn't know how to nair through fireballs. >_>

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's better to nair through them because Mario is vulnerable while he's shooting them. If you jump over, he has time to react to you.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
But they're so low to the ground... I just don't see myself being in a place where I could hit them with the nair, I'd just short hop right over them to get Mario.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea, but you can't moonwalk under them. <_<

In all seriousness, though, SH nairing through fireball spam is the most efficacious option IMO. It cancels the fireball, oftentimes scores you a hit, prepping for a grab, another nair, etc., and it leaves you minimally vulnerable. Full jumping over low fireballs at close range is just asking to get dash dance grabbed.

j3ly

Smash Champion
u can get an almost instant insight of someones intelligence if they are under a platform, and u fire a fireball at them. only a tard would position themselves above mario, with 4 frames of lag to avoid a fireball that can normally be swished away.

and thanks for the comments, the transition from low to high level play (that dude being low lvl) is very difficult, i can no longer use superior techskill to outspam/speed the opponent. The best in sydney came over a cuple days ago, the dude had *zero* tech skill but sweet *** mindgames and a better oostage games then me. dude really taught me a lil something about recovering and predictability

which brings me to.... how the HELLLLLLL do u edgeguard a shiek? never played a good one until then, she seems to be un-edgeguardable. u cant do the nair cause shes invincible during recoverie, and ALL she needs to do too seeminly 100% neutralise the ledge hopped aba is fair while jumping. to take away 1 / 2 low % kills from mario per match is like.... taking shiekd slap away from her.

Tamoo

Smash Master
All you do is take the edge, force her to use her up b, let her land on the stage and then punish the immense lag they have upon landing with a smash or something.
Also, I believe mario can cape her recovery which is quite lols, bullet bill definitely caped my recovery once.

Also, kulla plays shiek, did you expect much tech skill lol?

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol, i expected at least a liiitle. like something flashy in the day. it was just get off edge -> guard. but now i know how to get around being guarded below the stage by fox and shiek :D which is cool, prof gets pretty much 1/2 of his kills on me from bair str8 from edgehog.

lol i need practice in that shiek guard thing, i knew that but it was really hard to do on him. i just realized i never reloaded my invincibility frames, which i def cudda done to avoid being hit by upB. the guy wasnt a scrub atall, prolly a little better than VA imo. he mastered 2 characters nd didnt waste time with others, and he knew exactly how not to to be guarded in that manner :(

ill get it down tho

Tamoo

Smash Master
Better than VA???
Interesting.

Ur quite lucky cos there are no good shieks in the uk at all cept for fuzzy, but if ur ever thinking of going to Europe, your gonna need to know the matchup BADLY.

That and falco, there were soo many in Lyon. Im sure fuzz will give u some practice, and play monty and jet at ph2, that will give you some practice tho i think ur better than them

j3ly

Smash Champion
yeh u said, with deathgazer as my partner falcos are just not an issue atall anymore :p most technical falco in UK = most technical falco (hopefully) in europe, as a region we are very tech-skill orientated. Do you notice the same trend? That being said, my only knowledge of European tech-skill comes from videos, but i never saw a more technical falco apart from Shiz, maybe SW. But then they got the mad mind games so you know

i am kinda happy that there are no shieks in london, but at the same time i desperately need practice. My standard way to deal with them was to CC camp (literally sit as close to the middle of the stage as poss and crouch until approach) and usmash to some filthy combo as cape > needles. this has worked on all shieks apart from fuzzys (Only played 1/2 game with VA but it worked there too), it never came to me that perhaps the pro shieks know exactly how to get around these horribly simple tactics :/

hmph.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Haha Kjab is the most technical player in the WORLD.

Deathgazer is slow compared to him, and kjab is so **** precise its rediculous. From the friendlies that I was seeing in Lyon, he was ripping into lingini. So precise.

I wish there were more shieks, I do really well against Edwin's shiek, just looove to crouch

SoldierRift

Smash Journeyman
Spaming fire balls.
Capt. Falcan failed at the end tho Lol.

You need better opponents. I didn't see that game & watch do 1 wavedash. By the way your wavedashing is hype! OI!

"Im WAR! backwards"

Top Bottom