• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Link

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been hanging around SWF for quite a while now and making some fairly intelligent posts, if I do say so myself. But I've never had any real proof on my skill. Well, this past monday I finally got some videos of me playing that I liked and I hoped you all could check them out and critique me a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igwjTkhkThI (BOA vs Dark Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxA4yMLeY0 (BOA vs Theseus)

Quick notes:
1) sorry about the pause in match 2 at 1:41, my friend was fervently trying to break out and accidently hit the pause button >.<
2) I usually don't ftilt that much, I think I was just in a fix for them that day.

Well, check 'em out if you have time and gimme some feedback.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
You ho. You're misrepresenting me! I was merely trying to break out of the gay jabs, and my thumb slipped onto the Start button in my panic. So :p

Deva

Smash Lord
You play a pretty good Link. You played extremely well against that jiggly puff. A tip for getting the boomerang to hit jiggs behind the tree in that second match woud be to throw it up and jump over it right before it reaches you. Also nice use of the aerial hookshot. In the first match I would suggest a few more projectiles against Marth. I'm also not sure why the Marth went for so many d-tilts....not very good for comboing. You still played well. It's just you may have lost if the Marth didn't kill himself in that one failed edge guard. Still, good Link. You have exceptional tech skill. Just try a few more projectiles when spacing Marth. Nice use of them with Jiggs though.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Thanks Deva, and good advice about the boomerang trick, I always forget how to do it.

Oh yea, I definitely would've lost that match, I was down at least half a stock throughout that entire match. Fun w/ ledge-teching at about 0:54, that was a cool looking kill. Looking back on the match (for the 100th time), I noticed that my Link was really aggressive in that match, I guess it's becuase most of the other times I played Dark Sonic he beat me and I wanted to try something new. Oh well, I'll have to keep testing both.

Thanks again, man.

Sorry about the misinterpretation, Raistlin. I'll change that as soon as I can.

Pose

Smash Apprentice
You play a beautiful link. =] I love 3:06 in the first match and in the second you played very well against that jiggs. I also love your technical skill. Nice played Link, keep up the great work.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
****ing projectiles. You have single-handedly made me hate t3h Link, BOA. :D

Chinkku397

Smash Rookie
I was only able to watch the first video but nice playing with Link. You did great!!! I would of never thought using the aerial hookshot for recovery when Marth was edge guarding. I thought it wouldn't work.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Yea, it's a bit conditional. I think I got lucky on that part because I used the airdodge both to get closer to the stage and dodge the attack. It usually doesn't work too well, but it's often times unpredictable, so try it out sometime.

You're welcome, Theseus. Now that one more person in the world hates Link, my job is done. T3H b00t ftw!

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I know I have small post counts but I still use link so heres my advice
I only watched the first vid, cause of my slow connection >.<
Like said before:
Spam more missiles against marth
Nice recovery using the aerial

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Thats a good link, you've got a few good moves in your bag of tricks

For the first match
Don't be so agressive, like in the first match, force them to come to you especially if they lack projectiles. Focus on keeping the pressure on with your projectile game.
Tell the marth to focus on combos rather than one hitters, he seemed to back off alot during the match.

for the second match
don't damage yourself with your own bombs without him even being there lol, you taunted and blew yourself up. Great job pinning him there and ripping him to pieces, kudos to you if you planned that. Focus on punishing jiggs alot worse for missing a rest, you just hit him with an uncharged f-smash. Be more agressive on your edgeguarding..you didn't really seem to stop him some of the times he was coming back. When you downthrow jiggs, try to follow it up with an up-tilt rather than an up-air, I seen you do that twice, thats good but try that instead as you can follow up then up-tilt, you can't follow up the up-air well.

Deva

Smash Lord
When you downthrow jiggs, try to follow it up with an up-tilt rather than an up-air, I seen you do that twice, thats good but try that instead as you can follow up then up-tilt, you can't follow up the up-air well.
Following up with an u-air actually does significantly more damage. If at all possible use the u-air, not u-tilt. U-tilt works better at lower percents. You can also use d-throw>u-tilt>u-air, which uses both in a fairly decent combo. However, at slightly higher percents or if you are given the choice between u-tilt and u-air, use the u-air.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
You are a good Link player, much better than I am, I can't really critique you :D btw I put some comment on youtube (BOA vs Theseus)

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
The reason why I'm defensive at edge-guarding is because my friend is Pound-happy. If I go out to edge-guard him: his INSANE-priority-crazy-range-disjointed-hitbox-Pound hits me, turns me around, and now I'M being edge-guarded. And I usually use the utilt --> uair at low percentages. At higher percentages Jiggz DI's out of the utilt and I don't get the uair. So I just dthrow --> uair at around 30% because it's an almost assured hit, high damage combo (as Deva said).

And thanks novice, it's always reassuring to hear I'm a good Link from more people.

Top Bottom