• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Link please.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
I know my Link needs work (lots of work) and so i decided to come to the best place to find help. If anyone's not too busy, could you critique my Link, tell me what I need to improve on, etc. There isn't much choice in partner here since I only have one other person to smash with right now so...here are the videos:

Vs. Falco
Vs. Falco 2
Vs. Doc
Vs. Doc 2

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help out.

Fireflare

Smash Cadet
lol the name of my girlfriend is hillary too:psycho: XD

well i think you should learn some good bomb mindgames like jump over the enemy drop it double jump back bumerangthrow down...or try this: bomb->short hop->throw the bomb to your enemy->wave land to the enemy->strong attack^^and don't use the dash attack so often^^and (i don't think it's very evective) short hop->air dodge away->hookshot^^ hope this helps;)

linkskillsKILLS

Smash Cadet
Try more varied attack methods. It seemed like the falco player new your fighting style. Try to rush in with SHFFL air attacks then switch it up with more heavy projectiles strat to bring his attacks in (remember to sheild grab when he comes in). Work on edge game in general. The falco player got some easy kills because you came up over the edge right where he was waiting, try coming up with a nair, fair or a jump to mix things up and shake some of your predictability.

Lastly try to find some better competition (i.e. tournaments). The harder somone beats you the more obvious it is to find your weaknesses. Plus You will speed up your link quite a bit too which will help your overall play.

Aesir

Smash Master
I have no falco experience with link.

I do however know the ins and outs of link vs doc.

Nair, thats all you really need to do.

In fact all you really need to do in general is full jump nairs more. and mix up your projectiles.

I'll show these matches to skler and he'll probably come in here explaining what you need to do.

but more a less play a lot smarter and don't dash attack so much, it's not that good of a move.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Stop using your dair so much. It's really laggy, and IIRC you didn't even l-cancel it. Don't use it to approach, you'll get punished. In the first vid you probably used it 6-7 times and landed like 1-2. Nair works a lot better usually. And just a lot of stupid mistakes, like in the first vid, rolling from the ledge and getting fsmashed. Bad DI, two of your deaths I'm pretty sure you could have survived if you smash DIed. A lot of missed techs. Poor decisions...Like earlier in the first vid you dsmashed to edgeguard when a spin spike would have been a free kill. You just need more experience to know when to use which attack to get the best result.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I watched the first doc match and all I can say is that the doc SD'd more than you killed him... The spin spike shouldn't be used that much for sure...

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
Watched the Doc Vids (I have no experience with Falcos).

Shffl more, dair less. And shield grab. You could have punished at a few points if you sheild grabbed. Just, shield more in general really. Spin Attack is reall only good at high percentages, or if you know how to spike with it. I saw one hit at like, 16 damage or something. Any decent player would have whooped you there.

Nair is one of Link's best friends, learn when to use it and when to not. Same with the Dair, learn when a good time to use it is. It seems effective (for me at least) to use sometimes as an edge gaurd, or at the end of some combos, but you'll have to judge that yourself.

Basicly just learn the timing on all of the attacks a bit better. Link is laggy unfortunately, so L-Canceling is a must. Link should generally be surviving to about 140+ (From my experience) and I suck at DI. Learn your to tech better, and mix it up.

Somewhere there is a Link video thread Skler made. Watch the vids in there, Skler is amazing, as are all the players he's put up. Just keep practicing, watch videos, and maybe watch the Advanced How to Play on youtube.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
Watched your Falco matches. I really like your style, you move quickly, and you know generally what moves to avoid when facing your friend. You're alert, accurate with your projectiles, and you don't stand still.

Some suggestions: use your n-air more to approach. It has a lot more priority than most think, and you should abuse it whenever you can, esp against a Falco, who becomes immensely easier to kill once he's off the edge.

Edge-guard better: lots of times with Falco off the edge, but you failed to edgeguard successfully. Projectiles are good, but you need to catch him when he's coming back. If he's on the ledge, bait him or chase him; just make sure he gets sent back over the edge.

Spam projectile more: you seem to like going CQC with Falco, which can hurt you in the long run. Falco has Link beat in speed, so use your CQC sparingly, only for combos. Other than that, rely on your projectlies to create openings, and don't be impatient. I saw a lot of dashes, where you could have safely thrown a boomerang, or pulled out a bomb to put Falco on edge. A lot of those dashes turned into Falco combos, in the end.

Tech more: Keep moving, don't just lie there. It gives Falco time to mount another offensive, and keeps you on the defensive. Also, mix up your techs a bit, since your friend seems to know where you'll be teching in advance.

I'd also suggest trying to keep Falco over you, and exploit u-air. Your sword is longer than his d-air, and it lasts longer too.

Other than, your link is actually quite good, imo. Keep it up!

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Spam projectile more: you seem to like going CQC with Falco, which can hurt you in the long run. Falco has Link beat in speed, so use your CQC sparingly, only for combos.
I'm sorry but i'm not familir with CQC.

Thanks for all the tips. My game has improved lots against him. Unfortunately, my controller has taken more of a beating than ever and my joystick likes to stick other than neutral, even when i reset it. Most of me attempted nairs end up being uairs :ohwell: The controller was fine when these videos were taken but oh well. I guess it's time to buy a new controller.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but i'm not familir with CQC.

Thanks for all the tips. My game has improved lots against him. Unfortunately, my controller has taken more of a beating than ever and my joystick likes to stick other than neutral, even when i reset it. Most of me attempted nairs end up being uairs :ohwell: The controller was fine when these videos were taken but oh well. I guess it's time to buy a new controller.
CQC = close quarters combat, which is basically up-close physical melee ^.^;

NeoNXToshiro

Smash Journeyman
Don't use your dash attack into anyone.

Only use it if you're sure to hit them and they're at a moderately high percent, so that they can pop up for you.

If they're at low percent, they'll shieldgrab you every time, or just grab you out of the very low hitstun/knockback.

Try moving around more (faster would help), especially when playing space animals. Use dashdancing, lots of SHFFL nairs.

Good work with the boomerang, use more of it and mix it up with good bomb work.

Also, try to always shorthop when using the bomb or boomerang. Your Link will become faster.

I've noticed that you use the jab combo a lot. Try tapping the A button once to interrupt your opponent with just one swipe. Try to keep the jab to one swipe most of the time.

Not a bad Link overall.

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
I only watched the first vid, nice choice of music btw NBC ftw!!

anyway, looks pretty good, I don't like to judge seeing as I'm not so great myself, but I'd say you're decent beyond decent even. you need to work on edge guarding though, upB wont work everytime especially when an opponent sweetspots the edge, also maybe work on more aerial attacks and SHFFLS, I also noticed that you missed the Dair's K cancel once. maybe try to learn the timing?

Reviarth

Smash Rookie
I have to say you are pretty good, and you make decent use of the dash attack but I warn you not to use it too much it will end up biting you in the *** hard, for example if you constantly dash attack your opponent will learn your pattern and counter attack......hard.
I'm not going to say anything much about the CQC thing because I prefer melee over ranged attack *plays Marth ALOT*.
But yes you should use ranged moves alot more often, Link is a very adept character able to attack well far and close up, take advantage of this trait.
Also your very fast, I was a bit in awe on how fast Link moved through that match.

Overall I say you are a very good Link user that needs a little bit of practice but hey so do all of us.
I suggest giving some of the guides a read, there are very good ones on GameFaqs and even on this site.
Well that was just my two cents on the matter so have a good one and I hope ya get better.

Top Bottom