• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Ganon please

3GOD

Smash Ace
I said "please!" :) I recorded these videos from some friendlies a few days ago. My ganon is still fairly inexperienced. I'd appreciate any feedback since I don't really know that much about him.

3GOD (Ganon) vs. Shai Hulud (CF) - Dreamland 64
This was my first match as ganon after playing marth for a while...this explains some of the flubbed technical thingies (like SD'ing instead of ledgedashing).

3GOD (Ganon) vs. Shai Hulud (CF) - Battlefield
I did pretty bad in this one too...SD'ing at 31% is always lame. I guess I need to work on consistency with the ledgedash still.

3GOD (Ganon) vs. Shai Hulud (Marth) - Yoshi's Story
I was more into my ganon mode by this point - that and Yoshi's Story rocks! :) Edgeguarding a shy guy is too good!

3GOD (Ganon) vs. Shai Hulud (Marth) - Final Destination
A decent match, but I did make a couple of costly mistakes.

3GOD (Ganon) vs. Shai Hulud (Marth) - Pokemon Stadium
This is my best match IMO...I handled my reverse uair edguarding quite well I think. PLEASE watch this one! :)

Alrighty - that's it...I hope to get some good feedback

Blademaster

Smash Cadet
man you ganon is good, but i think than need more till, for edgeguard, and the ledge hoop u air is predictible try use edgehoop land dash grab, it's more unpredictable ^^

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ledgeguarding graaagggghhhhhh

be a little more patient with your ledge game, captain falcon should never recover vs anyone, ganon has it easier than most too

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I like your Ganon. You seem to have a fairly good grip on how he's played. And you play alot like mine. You've got 90% of the technical aspect down, now I think you just need to explore some more of his moves and strategies.

One thing I noticed, was a LOT of fairs. Fair is a great skill, but Ganon does have other aerials :lick: . In certain situations (and only a few) a nair can really help you. Dair is always a good approach too. I think you may have underutilized the bair to a certain extent, but you DID use it well in certain situations.

He also has a decent ground game, which you could probably use a little more often. Taking to the air every single time becomes extremely predictable and punishable. Gerudo Dragon and Wizard's Foot would be great to throw in there every once in a while. And then, of course, you've got your f-tilt and your jab. Not saying you shouldn't use aerials, but I was starting to count up to 10 fairs in a row. Staying unpredictable is a good thing. :p

You could also explore your grab game a bit. I admit, the Captain isn't an easy character to chain throw, but a good down or up throw never hurts your game. Not to mention it leads into tech chasing, which Gannon is great at. In general, I find Ganon's grab game to be very effective, and I think you didn't use it as much as you maybe could have.

And yeah, what Gimpy said. A little patience on getting those reverse vulture kicks to connect more often would really help you.

Keep working on it, you've got a lot of potential, now you just need to unlock it. ;)

...and I totally feel your pain about the ledgehop wavelands, I always mess up on those <_<

3GOD

Smash Ace
I like your Ganon. You seem to have a fairly good grip on how he's played. And you play alot like mine. You've got 90% of the technical aspect down, now I think you just need to explore some more of his moves and strategies.

One thing I noticed, was a LOT of fairs. Fair is a great skill, but Ganon does have other aerials :lick: . In certain situations (and only a few) a nair can really help you. Dair is always a good approach too. I think you may have underutilized the bair to a certain extent, but you DID use it well in certain situations.

He also has a decent ground game, which you could probably use a little more often. Taking to the air every single time becomes extremely predictable and punishable. Gerudo Dragon and Wizard's Foot would be great to throw in there every once in a while. And then, of course, you've got your f-tilt and your jab. Not saying you shouldn't use aerials, but I was starting to count up to 10 fairs in a row. Staying unpredictable is a good thing. :p

You could also explore your grab game a bit. I admit, the Captain isn't an easy character to chain throw, but a good down or up throw never hurts your game. Not to mention it leads into tech chasing, which Gannon is great at. In general, I find Ganon's grab game to be very effective, and I think you didn't use it as much as you maybe could have.

And yeah, what Gimpy said. A little patience on getting those reverse vulture kicks to connect more often would really help you.

Keep working on it, you've got a lot of potential, now you just need to unlock it. ;)

...and I totally feel your pain about the ledgehop wavelands, I always mess up on those <_<
Thanks for the feedback.

I generally avoid the nair with Ganon because (at least with version 1.0) the hitbox really stinks for the second hit. I'm pretty sure I've seen some vids where the second hit has good range, but it does not in my version (and I've checked this with AR). Anyone with a later version of smash that can verify that the hitbox for nair is large for both hits in that version?

I actually try to use bair more than fair, but it depends on the situation/direction I'm facing as to which attack I use. I LOVE bair for SH-bair to double jump bair or whatever. I really don't see many ganons using a lot of bair, but it's my personal favorite aerial attack for ganon.

I've tried a little to do some ground game with ganon, but I find it very ineffective against most of the opponents I play for some reason. My Gerudo dragon almost never connects, but I do like the occasional wizard's foot (though I think I only used one in these matches) for getting someone off stage. I was also trying to implement some f-tilt into these matches, but my spacing was just short a lot of times. Any tips from anyone on improving Ganon's ground game?

As for grabs, keep in mind that I am playing CF and Marth in these matches, so you can't really grab them that easily. I usually rely on shield grabs to get any grabs, but if you shield against CF or Marth, they can easily run in and grab you out of your shield. So I usually roll away or just use a retreating fair as a "shield" of sorts.

Patience is definitely something I still need to work on since it's a major part of every character's game. I have improved tons in this area, but I definitely need to be more patient still.

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
I like the last match, that first stock you got owned though, imo you rolled a bit too much to stay away from marth, but I'll be honest Marth spooks me a bit too. I think your revers uairing in that match was much better than the ones vs cfalcon. (and yeah I hate the ledgedash SD's too man. they suck) I just would have grabbed a little more and utilized the ground game more, as already stated. AND agains the cfalcon coming with an Up b from such a height in the first match is just asking for a skull crusher(fair) but that's just me :p

BTW, I love your friend's name. that's my favorite band :D

Top Bottom