• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my DK

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
pretty good DK im not a dk player myself but I noticed sometimes you did a short hop when a full jump would've worked, and you missed some of the more important l-cancels like when he sheilded or got hit by it, i have the same problem because it's much easier to practice l-canceling without hitting anything and the timing is a littler harded when you actually hit someone or get shielded

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Say you're coming down from the sky and Bowser keeps hitting you. It's only because you repeatedly keep throwing low priority aerials vs his upB (ohnoes!). The point I'm trying to get at is that you need more brain in your play. Maybe your first priority when you're being juggled is to get to the ground. Bowser is slow. Just think a little more tactically when you play, it goes miles.

Overall you're a good DK, but mindgames will take you to the next level.

ps: Love the forward B spike at the beginning.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
First off, this Pokemon music is freaking annoying. I had to mute my computer.

Well, it is hard to judge because it is obvious that you guys have played each other a lot and so things are different because it changes the mental aspect greatly but...

I really like the f-b spike. It's awesome and actually not a bad idea against Bowser, but not against most others so be careful with it. I wouldn't do it so often against other characters that have good vertical recovery unless they are space animals.

Also, you aren't just a cargo robot. To many people just instantly cargo throw when they grab when it is often better to b-throw. Nice job.

Nice use of semi-charged punches.

Great DI for the most part, you were able to recover high which is great against Bowser. It is not too great against some others though so make sure you know when to go high or low.

You rely to much on n-air, punch, and Hurricane (repeated b-airs) approaches. Use the u-b if they shield a b-air or n-air or grab, especially on Bowser and other bigger characters.

Work on throw combos. You only got like 1 u-air every cargo. I think you got 2 only once. After a certain percent just full jump, u-throw, f-air/punch. Or try some d-throw, tech chase, f-air/punch. Mix it up.

Your edge guarding when not using f-b was horrid. Hang on the edge, drop down, u-b like at the end of vid 2. It is all you'll ever need. Master it and you will get many low % KOs. Maybe a ledge-hop b-air or stand up b-throw off the stage again or simple edge-hog occassionally.

But pretty good overall.

pdk

Smash Lord
over+b is far from dk's best edgeguarding option, you had a lot of chances to grab a ledge and then bair/uair/up+b (you have to double jump off the edge very fast for the bair/uair and timing the jump properly takes some practice, just about anything else you can do out of a ledgehop seems to have so much lag you can't grab back on, alas)

you've got other throws for a reason (if i recall non-cargo dthrow -> dair works decently for example), uair juggles don't always work out

when you're charging your punches you should try to spend as little time in one place as possible, what i like to do is running jump/shorthop then charge one or two swings at a time (try to get it so you aren't charging as you touch the ground), follow up with whatever you would have done (e.g. land an aerial or grab, though stuff like fair obviously is gonna need full jumps) if you weren't planning on charging that time. getting a swing in after you're knocked high above the stage works too and they probably can't punish you for it from that height anyway

for recovering from above the stage don't always try to go straight down, go off to the side and up+b/airdodge

ftilt/dtilt are good for making people keep their distance from you (or edgeguarding if you want to stay on the ground), keep it in mind

Cia

das kwl
I'd say it's a pretty good DK. But if you want to improve him, try watching some videos by BUM. I believe you can find some on youtube. But his DK went 3-0 against PC Chris at an NY Bi-Weekly final round. You'd have to see it to understand how amazing that is.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I'd say it's a pretty good DK. But if you want to improve him, try watching some videos by BUM. I believe you can find some on youtube. But his DK went 3-0 against PC Chris at an NY Bi-Weekly final round. You'd have to see it to understand how amazing that is.
Bum is getting hairier by the day! But you wont find any videos of the legendary ape. Seriously, except for like 1 or 2 old ones with poor quality.

pdk

Smash Lord
i propose we hire some ninjas from the sheik board to record TOP SECRET vids of bum

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I actually heard he has some MLG videos on MLG's website but you have to pay to see MLG VoD videos so... yeah.

And yeah, the only 2 on Youtube are poor quality and are old. I know because they're mine, but when I found them I figured some > none so I uploaded them.

Plus I definitely went 3-0 on Chu's ICs... Not!

phish-it

Smash Champion
VOD is free now, and unfortunately I didn't come across any videos of the monster. But I remember seeing him wreck left and right at the time.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
pretty good DK im not a dk player myself but I noticed sometimes you did a short hop when a full jump would've worked, and you missed some of the more important l-cancels like when he sheilded or got hit by it, i have the same problem because it's much easier to practice l-canceling without hitting anything and the timing is a littler harded when you actually hit someone or get shielded
Yeah, tech skill is an obvious thing to practice for me.
Say you're coming down from the sky and Bowser keeps hitting you. It's only because you repeatedly keep throwing low priority aerials vs his upB (ohnoes!). The point I'm trying to get at is that you need more brain in your play. Maybe your first priority when you're being juggled is to get to the ground. Bowser is slow. Just think a little more tactically when you play, it goes miles.

Overall you're a good DK, but mindgames will take you to the next level. Thanks.

ps: Love the forward B spike at the beginning.
I noticed that after watching those mathces, too. What was I thinking. I'll try and work on not being a total idiot... and maybe on my mindgames as well.
First off, this Pokemon music is freaking annoying. I had to mute my computer.

Well, it is hard to judge because it is obvious that you guys have played each other a lot and so things are different because it changes the mental aspect greatly but...

I really like the f-b spike. It's awesome and actually not a bad idea against Bowser, but not against most others so be careful with it. I wouldn't do it so often against other characters that have good vertical recovery unless they are space animals.

Also, you aren't just a cargo robot. To many people just instantly cargo throw when they grab when it is often better to b-throw. Nice job.

Nice use of semi-charged punches.

Great DI for the most part, you were able to recover high which is great against Bowser. It is not too great against some others though so make sure you know when to go high or low.

You rely to much on n-air, punch, and Hurricane (repeated b-airs) approaches. Use the u-b if they shield a b-air or n-air or grab, especially on Bowser and other bigger characters.

Work on throw combos. You only got like 1 u-air every cargo. I think you got 2 only once. After a certain percent just full jump, u-throw, f-air/punch. Or try some d-throw, tech chase, f-air/punch. Mix it up.

Your edge guarding when not using f-b was horrid. Hang on the edge, drop down, u-b like at the end of vid 2. It is all you'll ever need. Master it and you will get many low % KOs. Maybe a ledge-hop b-air or stand up b-throw off the stage again or simple edge-hog occassionally.

But pretty good overall.
Yes, I pretty much only side+B Bowser, and sometimes CF and Ganon, or a Fox/Falco for comic relief since the rest of the match is me getting owned hard.
Back throw is too good.
I'm sure those punches wouldn't on many other people, but my friend seems to constantly fall for 'em. And so I, of course, exploit that.
Still gotta work on my smash-DI.
I definitely agree with you there. I should break the habit of NAiring so much, I really should. And Up+B more, which I've been trying to do lately in my matches after whiffed airials.
Ugh, my throw combos suck! I never know when I can do the full jump > Giant Punch either. As for DThrows, I tend to use them quite a bit more on floaties, but I'll definitely try some on Bowser.
Ew. My DK edgeguarding is pure crap, I know. For the Up+B edgeguard, I should hit with the sides/under, correct?
Much thanks.
over+b is far from dk's best edgeguarding option, you had a lot of chances to grab a ledge and then bair/uair/up+b (you have to double jump off the edge very fast for the bair/uair and timing the jump properly takes some practice, just about anything else you can do out of a ledgehop seems to have so much lag you can't grab back on, alas)

you've got other throws for a reason (if i recall non-cargo dthrow -> dair works decently for example), uair juggles don't always work out

when you're charging your punches you should try to spend as little time in one place as possible, what i like to do is running jump/shorthop then charge one or two swings at a time (try to get it so you aren't charging as you touch the ground), follow up with whatever you would have done (e.g. land an aerial or grab, though stuff like fair obviously is gonna need full jumps) if you weren't planning on charging that time. getting a swing in after you're knocked high above the stage works too and they probably can't punish you for it from that height anyway

for recovering from above the stage don't always try to go straight down, go off to the side and up+b/airdodge

ftilt/dtilt are good for making people keep their distance from you (or edgeguarding if you want to stay on the ground), keep it in mind
As previously mentioned, I'll work on my edgeguarding, which is probably on the top of my "Things to work on with DK" list.
Yep, throws need work. I'll try DThrowing Bowser some, and then techchase DAir...
I've been doing more mobile charges as you mention with the Giant Punch, in fact, I did it quite a bit earlier today. Working on doing that without even thinking about it.
Yeah, too predictable, I know. I'll work on my laughable recovering.
DTilt for edgeguarding a Bowser? That seems a bit... ineffective? Will try, though.
Thanks.
VOD is free now, and unfortunately I didn't come across any videos of the monster. But I remember seeing him wreck left and right at the time.
Finding DK vids is tough stuff. I either get CJ owning Ikki (always enjoyable, lol) or a nub named Dan. CJ is god (no spelling error), but I would like some others. Anyone care to share a few links? It;d be much appreciated.
MRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MRRRRRRRRRR
LMFAO.

technomancer

Smash Champion
CJ vs. Canada Mike (dittos) is quite possibly the best DK video of all time!

I like the advice from the rest of the thread, and to get you started I'd say to work on your patience and stay on the safe side with your attacks and approaches.

pdk

Smash Lord
ftilt's probably better for edgeguarding, everyone pretty much uses dtilt as a keepaway move

also practice ledgehopped uair/bair, unlike other chars it's not easy to do safely with dk

Top Bottom