• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique me again! : d

Shroomed

Smash Master
after watching your videos i decided i can't critique you cuz i have no idea what you're trying to do lol

it looks like ur jus throwing out moves to me

edit: sweet spot and be scared of getting hit w/o jump

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm. Is that bad? Is there other things I should be doing? I guess I do random stuff...

BigWenz

Smash Ace
so far ive just watched the match vs falco. (watching these as i take breaks from studying) and yea u do kinda just throw **** out there lol. although i think u try and come in behind ur pills to quickly. and i couldn tell if u had a real puprose behind ur pilling. also on FD (and im very surprised he gave it to you) get ur chaingrab on. chaingrab for a bit w/upthrow then downthrow downsmash or downthrow fsmash depending on percent. that should send them off stage in a prime position for u 2 get a gimp. i find just backthrowing rarely works nowadays @low percents that is. also try and be more mobile. i know its hard with doc especially against falco wit dem lasers but the more mobile u can be the better.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
your doing what you want to do instead of reacting / doing whats optimal or opponent is giving you 2:32 first match jpobs. look at what your doing. n-air f-tilt n-air for absolutely no reason. your opponent didn't even bait these attacks your just throwing them out instead of spacing yourself for what your opponent might do while they're above you.
also. dash attacking at low percents where its not gonna combo or do anything other than getting you punished.

a good way to start thinking more why you play is to add simple things to your game like wd back, grab or wd back f-smash or wd back any reaction.

you gotta note what your opponent is doing and react in the best way possible. opponent was just doing falco **** without thinking you had a lot of opportunities to bait grabs and combo off of it.

also whats with all the full hops? i saw a lot of opportunitys you could've short hop b-aired outta shield and instead you came down with a full hop n-air which wasn't really smart but worked out occasionally . also suggest experimenting with up-smash out of shield and see how it works for you in different situations.

3:48 tech skill mistake but a big one. its not hard to short hop with doc. your movement is very stagnant and jump reliant. you need to move around your opponent. this includes wavedashing, wave landing, dash dancing etc... there's a temptation to do it just for flash or just to be pushing buttons but thats the wrong reason. do it with a purpose for spacing, baiting grabs, and other stuff. i dont think i really saw you utilize dash dance at all.

edit: double checked something. seriously look how many times your standing still or your control stick is in a neutral position for no reason. you gotta move man.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I picked up full hop nairs from somewhere... lol. It's not hard for me to sh.

LOL at 2:32... Well, it's just that I know falco will approach so... I attack before they come over because Falco is so damn fast I'm afraid I'd get hit first...

Like if I wd to not moving... or was it I jumped in and I just didn't do a thing?

Noted, I will practice upsmash oos... and bair oos...

Also it's hard to move around Falco lazers. I always try to approach Falco first so I could do something to him... gah.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
you gotta pick the time and place. people aren't just gonna stand still and wait for you to do a long *** full hop n-air on top of their head. its unsafe. your not actively thinking what happens if you miss. like think about if you want to n-air and land in front of them (and if you can stay out of shield grab range) or if you can full hop n-air and land behind them.

everything is situational it's not you just learn something and just keep throwing it out. unless your spacies and spam tech skill which is awesome <3

also you avoid the speed by spacing with wd, dash dance, and other stuff. other people can prolly critique better but thats just what i think.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I know this critique is like a whole week late. But I'm going through alot and I've barely even been on smashboards lately. Anyways, I got enough to critique one of the vids for now. I'll try to get to the rest later.

@0:43 After you landed the f-smash, you opted to throw pills from center stage to edgeguard Falco. Pills are actually good for covering the Falco's illusion recovery. But you probably should've rushed towards the edge of the stage so that the pills could have a better chance at disrupting Falco's recovery.

@1:47 Good grab. d-throw -> d-smash is pretty much gauranteed at that percent though. You tried d-throw-> f-smash which doesn't work until a bit later.

@4:38 You got a grab on Falco on FD when he only had 35%. Forget about d-throwing, it was time for you to chaingrab him.

@5:55 Again, you got a grab at Falco on FD. And he had no damage at all. CHAINGRAB HIM Although you were probably close enough to the edge to where you could've gimped Falco. But edgeguarding Falco at that percent is a coin flip, and sometimes it's better to chaingrab to get the gauranteed punish out of the grab you land.

There were quite a few times when you got punished by Falco's shine approach, like the d-air shine @ 2:09, and the b-air shine @ 5:07. Sometimes you gotta wait until after the shine to try punishing Falco.

Other times, you were kinda above Falco too often when it wasn't working out in you favor. Doc's slow falling speed is too easily punished by Falco's up-tilts and b-airs. And being in the air gives Falco a free approach since Doc can't really defend himself with anything to keep Falco from approaching freely with a d-air (other than to maybe switch up the falling styles with wavelands and shields.

I would suggest being more mobile on the ground vs Falco. Doc controls the horizontal space much better than the air. Mix up those out of shield options whenever Falco gets in on your shield. You gotta predict/react on times where it's safer to attack out of shield, or when to jump out, or when to just simply roll. Since you'll probably need the shield alot too, I would suggest utilizing the lightshield as well, just to make that Falco player have to press more buttons and work harder at landing hits.

Top Bottom