• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique `EX's Ice climbers. New Videos.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
From what I saw before Youtube went down for maintenance, 'EX dsmashes and fsmashes way too often. They're both very good moves, of course, but they're not the be all and end all of the ICs' ground game. I'd like to see more use of ftilts and shffl'd aerials in general, since fsmash, dsmash, and grabs are only good in so many situations.

Regarding the Luigi match-up: first of all, tell Nicknyte to stop doing falling nairs into the ICs shield and tell him to CC more often at low percentages. 'EX was able to get away with a lot of things that fundamentally shouldn't work against Luigi, like dsmashing at low percentages and bum-rushing with the shield to get grabs. Shielding when you don't absolutely have too against Luigi is a poor idea, since Luigi is just too good at spacing unpunishable **** into the ICs' shield and taking control of the match. To beat Luigi, pretend you're playing Brawl and camp with desynched ice blocks; I recommend going for the first or second controller port so you can start the match desynched. When Luigi manages to get sort of close, have Nana sh blizzard. If Luigi gets hit, utilt/usmash/dash attack/anything-that-can-send-Luigi-upwards or grab if he doesn't DI high enough. If the blizzard doesn't hit, which it probably won't, go back to ice block/blizzard camping. Luigi has a really hard time getting around this. If Luigi does manage to gain some momentum, shffl'd fairs and dash attacks are your best tools for regaining control; blizzard's also okay if you don't think he's going to CC. I know this all sounds dumb as hell, but it's pretty effective.

I'll say stuff about Marth once Youtube gets back up.

edit: Nicknyte's Marth doesn't space well and he fsmashes too much, so you can probably get away with just light-shield camping and wavedashing out of shield a lot to beat him.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Just something to throw out there: He gets ***** by Fox. He tries to grab every time Fox ever aerials his shield, and loses to players who understand how to l-cancel vs them. I keep trying to tell him to roll, but he doesn't listen.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Okay, I'll say some stuff about dealing with Fox's approaches.

If a Fox does an aerial -> shine into the ICs' light shield, it's a good idea to keep shielding and see what he does afterwards. A lot of Foxes will jump straight up after the shine, which is easy to punish with full jump uair. Rolling away doesn't accomplish much, but if you're near the edge, you don't usually have many better options.

It's better to try to prevent Fox from doing aerials into your shield in the first place. The shffl'd dair approach is usually pretty easy to beat with dashdance back -> grab. At low percentages, CC dsmash can be used to stop shffl'd nairs. Dash attack also goes through lots of Fox's approach nicely, and fair and ftilt can also stop them pretty well.

If the Fox is approaching with full jump aerials, utilt, sh uair, and sometimes shffl'd fair and full jump uair work nicely, although it's generally safer to stay near the ground.

Foxes that don't even bother with the aerial and just shine are a lot harder to punish, although dash attack, fair, and ftilt still work really well. Wavedash utilt is also pretty good, although dash attack is usually better.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
K, new videos. He started to utilt/uair alot more and it *****.

He was also fairing and ****** me, but he apparently wasn't doing them on purpose. I don't think the games he was fairing me were recorded, but he was ****** my spacies with Fair pretty hard.

Top Bottom