• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating The Best Team - Possible? Let's Find Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Encore. Eww. Here's some of my in-game non-uber Pokemon. Not EV trained; I may use the AR to catch these again so I can EV train.

Salamence @ Quick Claw - Mixed sweeper, focused more on Physical.
Brave
Aerial Ace
Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Suicune @ Lefties - Tank, Special Sweeper. Mirror Coat > Electric types.
Impish
Surf
Mirror Coat
Calm Mind
Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Scope Lens - is there a better item for him? Also, what should replace T-Wave?
Lonely
Thunder Wave
Agility
Thunderbolt
Drill Peck

Metagross - Might give him Quick Claw.
Quirky
Brick Break
Meteor Mash
EQ
Psychic

Latios @ Soul Dew - Cheap, yes. <3 the AR.
Brave
Thunderbolt
Dragon Claw
Recover
Calm Mind

Blaziken @ Choice Band
Sassy
Rock Tomb
Sky Uppercut
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Heracross - what Berry boosts speed?
Naughty
Reversal
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Substitute

Articuno - Sucks, but he's mainly a Travel Pokemon.
Impish
Water Pulse
Agility
Fly
Ice Beam

Charizard - Supposed to be a Special Sweeper; Crappy mixed sweeper, but at least he gets STAB'd Aerial Ace.
Quiet
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
HP - Electric
Aerial Ace

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
drcossack said:
Encore. Eww. Here's some of my in-game non-uber Pokemon. Not EV trained; I may use the AR to catch these again so I can EV train.

Salamence @ Quick Claw - Mixed sweeper, focused more on Physical.
Brave
Aerial Ace
Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Suicune @ Lefties - Tank, Special Sweeper. Mirror Coat > Electric types.
Impish
Surf
Mirror Coat
Calm Mind
Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Scope Lens - is there a better item for him? Also, what should replace T-Wave?
Lonely
Thunder Wave
Agility
Thunderbolt
Drill Peck

Metagross - Might give him Quick Claw.
Quirky
Brick Break
Meteor Mash
EQ
Psychic

Latios @ Soul Dew - Cheap, yes. <3 the AR.
Brave
Thunderbolt
Dragon Claw
Recover
Calm Mind

Blaziken @ Choice Band
Sassy
Rock Tomb
Sky Uppercut
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Heracross - what Berry boosts speed?
Naughty
Reversal
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Substitute

Articuno - Sucks, but he's mainly a Travel Pokemon.
Impish
Water Pulse
Agility
Fly
Ice Beam

Charizard - Supposed to be a Special Sweeper; Crappy mixed sweeper, but at least he gets STAB'd Aerial Ace.
Quiet
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
HP - Electric
Aerial Ace

Not trying to be critical but your weakness to Rock and Electric is just too huge to ignore. A Aerodactyl or Tyranitar and commit genocide on that team.

drcossack

Smash Ace
True. Depends on which Pokemon I use; I tend to shy away from flying types because of those weaknesses. If I have to go with one, I usually go with Salamence because of his high attack. Since he's slow, I had to give him a Quick Claw.

If I can breed a decent IV Bagon (must...hatch...egg), I might do some EV training on him once he's fully evolved and see if I can improve his speed so I can make it a CBMence.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
drcossack said:
True. Depends on which Pokemon I use; I tend to shy away from flying types because of those weaknesses. If I have to go with one, I usually go with Salamence because of his high attack. Since he's slow, I had to give him a Quick Claw.

If I can breed a decent IV Bagon (must...hatch...egg), I might do some EV training on him once he's fully evolved and see if I can improve his speed so I can make it a CBMence.
Remember always try to not share more than 1 weakness between your team. Remember anymore than 1 is already half your team which can get you sweeped in no time!!! :embarrass

Heretict

Smash Rookie
(Sup Hungry, it's Noobster ;))

Wow, amazing I didn't read this thread before. Oh man is this thread pathetic. One, I don't really care at all about the first post because I know it'll be a bull**** post trying to back up the fact that an ultimate team is possible. Excuse me while I laugh.

Two, you really shouldn't be calling people newbies when you have no idea bout the metagame. Of course you also make up stupid clauses like "No Skarmbliss" which is pretty pathetic. Skarmbliss isn't hard to beat, neither is Suicune if you can predict. Hell, just about anything is defeatable with prediction. I've been on Netbattle and irc (bots and #smogon) for years. I know chaos, and really, you guys don't have any right to be insulting him. He owns the largest [good] Pokemon community on the internet, owns the largest server on Netbattle, and is one of the top battlers around. Oh, we all lose once in a while, we all whine, so just because he is an admin doesn't mean he has the right to be mad?

I am sure that whenever you lose to luck, you become enraged. I've played chaos multiple times, I've beaten him multiple times. I can safely say that I am in the upper range of skill in Netbattle.

Back on topic, to put it bluntly, drcossack, your teams really aren't the best. :/
If you want a good Pokemon team however, you want Pokemon that can absorb statuses, that doesn't automatically mean Heal Bell. Or that every team should have a **** healbeller, because frankly, Celebi is much better of as a special tank/baton passer, and Blissey is far too easy to set up on. Also, to add to my Suicune argument: Hungry is right. Sleeping Suicune is pretty worthless unless it has Sleep Talk, which isn't too common nowadays because Stall Teams are long gone. He can't switch into multiple Choice Band Attacks from Pokemon such as Salamence and Heracross. Zapdos 2hkos Suicune without calm minds if it has enough special attack. Milotic can wall it and set up a Light Screen or Hypnosis it. Celebi stops it dead with Calm Mind and/or Leech Seed. I could go on for a while.

Whatever, I have my opinion, and really, this topic is pretty dumb.

Siberian Khatru

Smash Rookie
ps i think you guys shuld use a charzard wit cut, fire blast, ember and fire spin

i've done it b4 and it's workd every time!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Heretict said:
Lots of stupid stuff
Wow. You're a freakin' idiot if you don't even bother to read the first post. I'd seriously reconsider your posting habits before one of us moderators pushes the big red ban button on *******es like yourself. If you won't even bother to read the first post, which, mind you, clearly states that this thread isn't about creating the ultimate team (the title is just there for attention and to give a general feel of what this thread might be about), then I don't think you have any place here at SWF. Granted you seemed to know what you were talking about when it comes to NetBattle, but you need to work on your social skills.

Heretict

Smash Rookie
Let me take your post apart.

Kokichi said:
Alright, as some of you may have seen, I've recently become obsessed with metabattling on NetBattle.

Who cares

I love battling, though there aren't many people on that actually are up for battling, while there's usually around 80 or so, a lot of them are afk.

I really don't ever see that. I'm on during the primetime every day, and most people are either battling or chatting. A minor few (usually mods) idle, while the rest are changing teams

With my current team set-up I almost never lose;

To newbies.

the only time I ever do is when I get frozen on an unlucky ice beam or I'm on the bad end of a crit, though you can't really take those things into consideration when building a team; it's just the luck of the draw, chi.

Everybody loses once in a while. If you're blaming your losses on this, then you really need to get of your cloud, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

However, for as many teams as I beat, there's always one or two teams that completely own my team;

Oh ok.

my friend took a while to set up his army (that's what he calls his 6 poke team, his army, which I kind of like :)) and was able to stop my team cold, never even having to send out his Starmie. That means I was taken down by only 5 pokes, and I consider myself a very successful predictor.

Maybe you should take back that last sentence if you lost to five Pokemon.

So anyways, I've been thinking (and no, it doesn't hurt ^_<); could there be an ultimate team?

NO

Now I know that every pokemon has their weakness (in short, a pokemon that "stops them cold"),

That is essentially why you have five other Pokemon

but that's true for a lot of things like chess and checkers as well; no strategy is without it's failures, but a what a strategy CAN do is minimize their chance of failure.

What if the strategy is extremely flawed?

By using some math (statistics, to be exact), along with the bright minds here at SWF, I bet we can develop the statistically best team.

I really, really doubt that. I'm not saying the people here are stupid. However, Smogon has the largest Pokemon community, which usually leads to the most intelligent Pokemon community. I realize that I am a tad biased because I work a tad for it, but it's no lie.

Now, it's important to realize that, while half of battling is what pokemon you have, the other, and possibly more import aspect to battling, is prediction.

I'd say a lot more than half is prediction

However, by gathering some data, such as the most commonly used pokemon, their moves, stats, weakness, etc., I bet we can find some overlap and create a team that minimizes failure.

A lot of Pokemon teams are good, and that's probably as far as you're going to get. Most of the battle is about the battler, not the Pokemon.

Let me reiterate, we're trying to build a team that can minimize failure, since I believe that pokemon's design disables any undefeatable team.

One of the first logical things I've read this post

Along with building the team we can gather data based on how its used as to what the majority of people do when given a certain situation. For example, we play a bunch of matches and jot down on Notepad how often someone expects a switch into a Sponge like Blissy or Snorlax and Focus Punches them.

Isn't stuff like this pretty obvious? Oh ok, Heracross switches in on Claydol. Hera Focus Punches on the switch to Skarm (if he has one). However, this would only apply if you actually know the team. I really don't see the point of Focus Punching a celebi if you don't even know the rest of the team. Prediction is based on the opposing team's pokemon and what you think they're going to switch to.

I'm willing to do it by myself if no one is willing to do it, but what I really need help with is the development of the team.

Whatever. I still want to point out a team that minimizes being swept or being walled by another Pokemon isn't that hard. The team only gets you that far

I've seen some really bright minds here who really know their pokemon, like Shadow Nataku, Marc, and drcossack, to name a few. I'll ask on Serebii for their input as well, so perhaps we can collaborate and come up with a final team.

I really wouldn't suggest Serebii for battling help

Now, the only rule I'd put on it is the ban on ubers, legendaries, and hax items (Scope Lends, BrightPowder, Kings Rock, etc.).

Now this is sentence is almost completely stupid. Notice I said almost because the only logical thing you clause are ubers. Legendaries aren't that hard to defeat. They're not that hard to beat if your team is built correctly. Hell, only half of the legendaries are even really useful. Pokemon like Entei just plain suck. ;(

Now I realize that a lot of metabattlers have legendaries such as Zapdos and Suicine, but I've always looked down upon them; they're for people who can't think strategically, IMHO.

Uh, who says Legendaries don't require strategies? It's not like you can just Thunderbolt Blissey and expect to win.

There's always an alternate to them, such as Vaporeon instead of Suicine.

Not really. Lets look at Zapdos. Spikes resistance, three good possible movesets to choose from, awesome stats and being able to dodge ground attacks are some of the few things. Find me a Pokemon that can be used over Zapdos that can fill the same role. Plus, Vaporeon is played extremely differently from Suicune ;(

We can make a team that allows for legendaries as well, but I'd much rather prefer to simply use NU, UU, and OU.

NUs and UUs are crushed in standard battles. Plus, legendaries fit into the OU category.

We could also attempt a pure NU, UU, or OU team, but the problem with that is that there is no clear line distinguishing NU from UU or UU from OU, but there is a clear line distinguishing legendaries and ubers.

Actually there pretty much is. First of all, by just battling (not newbies mind you) you can find out which Pokemon are the most common. Masquerain, hell, you don't see him on an OU Team. However, there are exceptions such as Entei, which you would classify as NU after reading the above statement, so you have to look at his stats. He is way overpowered for NU or UU

Well, is anyone up for brainstorming?

Not after this post

I realize that, at the core, what pokemon team and strategy really depends on the person, as it should be, but if you toss favor and preference aside, what do you get?

You get a Pokemon Team. Hell, I often use Pokemon I dislike, because they fit the team more, and without them I'd be screwed.

That's the answer I want to get to the bottom to, and I'd like some help from more knowledgable people, chi :)
First of all, Siberian Khatru please refrain from posting again in this topic unless you have something valuable to add.

Oh, so you're going to ban me for making a post that is more sensible than the post you wanted me to read so badly?
Apparently, after reading your first post, a team that minimizes failures is pretty **** close to an "ultimate team", because you are striving for the same thing.
And I do realize I'm being a tad arrogant, please don't call my post stupid when it is really not, thanks.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Lol, I hope you had fun doing all that, I would read it but it's a tad late so I'll save it for later if it still interests me. I was hoping you'd take apart the post below yours and not the first one...hell I wrote that a few months ago. And man, you need to learn the basics of a forum, the first one being to RTFT. You'll notice that this thread has gone from a "what team minimizes failure" to a random what-you-feel-works post. So feel free to post something on the new, "understood" topic in here...just make sure you read enough of the latest posts to know what it is.

And I'd be more than happy to not call your post stupid, but you must admit, commenting on a thread when you've only read the title is moronic at best; this is not a GameFAQs board, chi :p

Though, since you took the time to break apart my first outdated post (it's so fun to do it, isn't it? The whole 'comment on each small fragment' thing), and since you do show signs of intelligence (^_<), what say bygons be bygons? I mean, getting mad at each other over playing pokemon online is about the lowest any of us can go :D

Oh, and on a side note, I saw a girl wearing pikachu ears and a tail at a pre-halloween costume party tonight. The girl next to her had a picture of Kuroneko on her shirt. That made my day, chi >^.^<

BAD31

Smash Rookie
My fav. moves to combo are leech seed and toxic. (won't work on tenticool/cruel)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I'm currently using a team of Jolteon/Dugtrio/Medicham/Gengar/Skarmory/Milotic, works perfectly and has no real weaknesses. My team kinda evolves with the metagame, so that it works now doesn't mean it'll always work so well.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
If You Don't Mind Me Inturrupting,excuse Me.thought I'd Put My Team Out Too.

1.Jolteon
2.Pidgeot
3.Venusaur
4.Charizard
5.Blastoise
6.Mewtwo

I'm Kinda Like The Old School Pokemon.^_^again I Say I'm Sorry For Inturrupting.^_^

D

Deleted member

best team EVAR OMG let's see it:

Mewtwo
Mew
Zapdos
Suicune
Blissey
Snorlax

done.

alamaster

Smash Journeyman
There is no best team since there is a counter to everything. However, this is probably the best UU )not standard) team I ever created:

Jumpluff (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 24 Atk / 20 Def / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Gligar (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 70 HP / 208 Atk / 112 Def / 120 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 70 SAtk / 188 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Confuse Ray
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Limber
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 150 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Rest
- Rock Slide

I won 5 UU tourneys with it =)

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
pah... i dont have any of the gba versions :(

on my silver i had all evolved forms of eve (with espeon as my main) and a tyranitar. beat elite 4 w/o a singal 1 over lvl 40. all egg bread from my lvl 100 espeon on my gold. but my silver got erased >:{

on my gold i have lots of combinations... trying to reform eve group, again with my espeon as the base

espeon's moves = phychic, iron tale, shadow ball, morning sun.

the iron tail is there to get any tyranitars, but o well. i tried getting it crunch to take advantage of its high special. any tips on this? a hounddoom realy hurts -.-"

of course if i wanted to be uber cheap, mew and mew2.
mew2 with thunder, phsi, fireblast, and recover. (going mostly on power moves -.-" of cource mew2 was set with these a few years ago)
mew has douoble edge, phsi, explosion, and soft boiled. (specifically for killing mew2 with explosion, then i have my mew2)

a blissy with bide works great wonders

also a gengar with hypnosis, dream eater, nightshade, and nightmare kills great

never put time into the ledgedary dogs, plus i like the eve's better

so yeah, mostly im based around power -.-"

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
You Know,i,ve Don Research And Raikou,suicune,and Entei Are Technically Cats.^_^"
Surprised Me.i'm More Of A Speed Type.one Examlpe Is My Arcanine.i Boost His Speed With Agility Then Use Double Team.after That Use Extreme Speed And It Does Critical Hits Everytime.then I Follow In With A Firespin.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Maybe

alamaster said:
How does it do critical hits every time? Unless you have insane luck, that is impossible.
WELL I MUST HAVE A LOT OF LUCK.I'VE BEEN USING THAT TECHNIQUE FOR OVER A YEAR.^_^"

six

Smash Ace
UmbreonMow said:
best team EVAR OMG let's see it:

Mewtwo
Mew
Zapdos
Suicune
Blissey
Snorlax

done.
first impression: boah-weak

Dr.Peabody said:
espeon's moves = phychic, iron tale, shadow ball, morning sun.
Espeon has no attack power so iron tail and shadow ball will really do jack even with super effective damage =( But for just playing through the gb games I guess it works. I am not kidding though, espeon's base attack is the same as snorlax's base special attack, which is terrible.

As for the ultimate team...bah. Even if someone thought up one for the current metagame, someone could EASILY think up a new moveset for a pokemon or two that would stop it cold. That's why the metagame always changes - new things are discovered that are thought to be unstoppable, and then they get stopped, so something new and unstoppable comes along again.

The current team I'm running is Jolteon/Skarmory/Milotic/Donphan/Tyranitar/Dusclops, and it works quite well. Other really good pokemon for consideration are Deoxys-F (bah, it's an uber but this thing can take on ANYTHING and win), Blissey, Suicune, Medicham (THIS THING OWNS LIKE A MOFO), and there are tons of others.

The best I can come up with would be something like

Kyogre
Deoxys-F
Deoxys-R
Groudon
Jirachi with wish
Meh something else here

and even that has plenty of stuff that owns it (not to mention being mostly ubers).

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Wasn't able to post in the last days.

Alamaster: Good stuff. I wouldn’t call Steelix (and maybe some others) UU though.

Someone asked for my team's movesets, here you go:

Jolteon
@Petaya Berry
~Substitute
~Thunderbolt
~Thunder Wave
~Hidden Power Grass

Dugtrio
@Choice Band
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Sludge Bomb
~Hidden Power Ghost

Medicham
@Choice Band
~Rock Slide
~Brick Break
~Shadow Ball
~Focus Punch

Gengar
@Leftovers
~Substitute
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Focus Punch

Skarmory
@Leftovers
~Roar
~Taunt
~Spikes
~Drill Peck

Milotic
@Leftovers
~Surf
~Recover
~Hypnosis
~Ice Beam

It carries counters for the most common Pokémon atm (Snorlax, Blissey etc). I don't see any way for big improvements, but feel free to comment on it.

alamaster

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Steelix is BL where I play.

Your team has truoble with Raikou unless duggie is jolly (which is a waste)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
He's Jolly.;) This team wasn't really made with legendaries in mind, I prefer not to fight them (and state so in my info most of the time).

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Here's one of my team set ups.pretty basic:

Jolteon
@magnet
~thunderwave
~thunderbolt
~quickattack
~hyperbeam

Pidgeot
@sharpbeak
~fly
~quickattack
~hyperbeam
~gust

Venusaur
@miracleseed
~solarbeam
~sleeppowder
~razorleaf
~bodyslam

Charizard
@charcoal
~flamethrower
~fly
~hyperbeam
~earthquake

Blastoise
@mysticwater
hydropump
surf
blizzard(should I choose icebeam or stay with blizzard?)
thunderbolt

Mewtwo
@leftovers
psychic
fireblast
thunderbolt
recover

Thats my basic team.I'll do a list of my main team later.^_^

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Heres my team, im not sure if it is very good or not, but here you go

Blastoise
item: mystic water
surf
hydro cannon
ice beam
earthquake

zapdos
item: leftovers
thunderbolt
drill peck
light screen
thunder wave

arcanine
item: silk scarf
flamethrower
extremespeed
hyper beam
protect

blissey
softboiled
toxic
physhic
protect

crobat
shadow ball
poison fang
confuse ray
attract

jirachi
psychic
wish
doom desire
water pulse

theres my team. if you have any suggestions, please let me know

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Talon: Is that team for GSC or RSE? One comment I'd like to make is that items like Magnet aren't worth it 99% of the time. One of the occasions where they are is giving Jolteon Nevermeltice so its HP Ice can OHKO Dugtrio. There are much better items out there.

pezaddict: Include the items first.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Blastoise
item: mystic water
surf
hydro cannon
ice beam
earthquake

Give it Leftovers. Many options for the moveset, but I like Surf/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin/Haze. Mirror Coat is nice too.

zapdos
thunderbolt
drill peck
light screen
thunder wave

Decent set. I'd use HP Grass (or maybe Ice) instead of Light Screen.

arcanine
item: silk scarf
flamethrower
extremespeed
hyper beam
protect

I like a physical based Arcanine with Liechi Berry and Extremespeed/Howl/Overheat/HP Fighting (or Ground).

blissey
softboiled
toxic
physhic
protect

Replace Protect with Softboiled. I like Counter on Blissey, so maybe you should replace Toxic with it. Toxic can also be replace by Thunder Wave btw. For the fourth move, Psychic is ok, though I like Seismic Toss (watch out for Gengar) or Ice Beam better.

crobat
shadow ball
poison fang
confuse ray
attract

I'd use Choicebat (Choice Band) with Sludge Bomb/Aerial Ace/Shadow Ball/HP Ground (or Fighting).

jirachi
psychic
wish
doom desire
water pulse

Cheap. Try Psychic/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind/Wish@Leftovers.

Iconoclast

Smash Rookie
Marc, for your Gengar, you may want to replace Shadow Ball with Ice Punch. McIceGar ftw

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Hm, yeah, I may actually try that, thought about it before. It's fun to screw over Psychics (as soon as I have a sub up) and other ghosts though. I do find myself in a bit of trouble vs Salamence/Dragonite, but on the other hand, they often expect me to have Ice Punch. I guess I'll just test it some time. =]

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
hello new to these forums but i dunno how many people i know on these forums so far i only saw alamaster. If you have seen me on Netbattle i'm either Tmnt Boy or Tmnt1837. i'm very experienced i know what i'm talking about and i would like to battle you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom