• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating The Best Team - Possible? Let's Find Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Alright, as some of you may have seen, I've recently become obsessed with metabattling on NetBattle. I love battling, though there aren't many people on that actually are up for battling, while there's usually around 80 or so, a lot of them are afk. With my current team set-up I almost never lose; the only time I ever do is when I get frozen on an unlucky ice beam or I'm on the bad end of a crit, though you can't really take those things into consideration when building a team; it's just the luck of the draw, chi.

However, for as many teams as I beat, there's always one or two teams that completely own my team; my friend took a while to set up his army (that's what he calls his 6 poke team, his army, which I kind of like :)) and was able to stop my team cold, never even having to send out his Starmie. That means I was taken down by only 5 pokes, and I consider myself a very successful predictor.

So anyways, I've been thinking (and no, it doesn't hurt ^_<); could there be an ultimate team? Now I know that every pokemon has their weakness (in short, a pokemon that "stops them cold"), but that's true for a lot of things like chess and checkers as well; no strategy is without it's failures, but a what a strategy CAN do is minimize their chance of failure. By using some math (statistics, to be exact), along with the bright minds here at SWF, I bet we can develop the statistically best team.

Now, it's important to realize that, while half of battling is what pokemon you have, the other, and possibly more import aspect to battling, is prediction. However, by gathering some data, such as the most commonly used pokemon, their moves, stats, weakness, etc., I bet we can find some overlap and create a team that minimizes failure.

Let me reiterate, we're trying to build a team that can minimize failure, since I believe that pokemon's design disables any undefeatable team. Along with building the team we can gather data based on how its used as to what the majority of people do when given a certain situation. For example, we play a bunch of matches and jot down on Notepad how often someone expects a switch into a Sponge like Blissy or Snorlax and Focus Punches them. I'm willing to do it by myself if no one is willing to do it, but what I really need help with is the development of the team.

I've seen some really bright minds here who really know their pokemon, like Shadow Nataku, Marc, and drcossack, to name a few. I'll ask on Serebii for their input as well, so perhaps we can collaborate and come up with a final team.

Now, the only rule I'd put on it is the ban on ubers, legendaries, and hax items (Scope Lends, BrightPowder, Kings Rock, etc.). Now I realize that a lot of metabattlers have legendaries such as Zapdos and Suicine, but I've always looked down upon them; they're for people who can't think strategically, IMHO. There's always an alternate to them, such as Vaporeon instead of Suicine. We can make a team that allows for legendaries as well, but I'd much rather prefer to simply use NU, UU, and OU. We could also attempt a pure NU, UU, or OU team, but the problem with that is that there is no clear line distinguishing NU from UU or UU from OU, but there is a clear line distinguishing legendaries and ubers.

Well, is anyone up for brainstorming? I realize that, at the core, what pokemon team and strategy really depends on the person, as it should be, but if you toss favor and preference aside, what do you get? That's the answer I want to get to the bottom to, and I'd like some help from more knowledgable people, chi :)

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Well I don't really care for Netbattling but my ingame team (one of many) is pretty good and covers nearly everything:

Espeon: w/ Leftovers
Psychic
Bite
Reflect
Wish

My Pseudo-passer.

OR

Hypno: w/ Leftovers
Seismic Toss
T-Wave
Safeguard
Reflect

My other Psuedo-passer/Annoyer

Raikou: w/ Leftovers
T-bolt
HP Grass
Calm Mind
Substitute

My PRIMARY special sweeper *-Ultimate-* trump card. I was fortunate to get HP 67. :p

Armaldo: w/ Leftovers
Rockblast
EQ
Knockoff
Swords Dance

My secondary physical sweeper and Substitute-breaker/Knock-offer.

Snorlax: w/ Leftovers
Focus Punch
Shadowball
Substitute
Curse

My Primary physical sweeper/special def tank and a beast in his own right!!! Fighting & Ghost covers every single type in the game.

Weezing: w/ Leftovers
Sludge Bomb
Fireblast
Will~O~Wisp
Haze

My Hazer and defensive tank.

Kingdra AKA .:*Sea Emperor*:. w/ Chesto Berry
Surf
Icebeam
Rain Dance
Rest

My secondary special sweeper, and my favorite pokemon in my party.

This team covers all 17 types, has no shared weaknesses, and covers many standard hazards experienced in battles like Sub/Punchers and Salac/Leichi Sweepers.:D

drcossack

Smash Ace
I'll see what I can do.

Been a long time since I played competitively, and even then, I used ubers (Mewtwo, but he was the only one.)

A team I had in my old Yellow Version before that file got erased (Put them on Pokemon Stadium)

Mewtwo, 374, 294, 237, 315, 373
Hyper Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Recover

Kingler, 271, 315, 295, 201, 148
Surf
Crabhammer
Hyper Beam
Stomp

Articuno, 347, 233, 247, 236, 304
Ice Beam
Hyper Beam
Blizzard
Agility

Arcanine, 335, 274, 218, 250, 214
Take Down
Dragon Rage
Flamethrower
Fire Blast

Nidoking, 316, 230, 204, 233, 214
Surf
Poison Sting
Double Kick
Horn Attack

Charizard, 332, 244, 204, 249, 226
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Fly
Cut

I went to a Pokemon event in Philadelphia w/that team and ended up winning, though that was in Winter 2000. I've revamped that team many times in a restarted Yellow, then used Stadium's Free Battle Mode set on Hard to see how effective the changes were. If it works really well, I recreate those movesets in the later versions, with some changes depending on what version I'm dealing with.

And yes, I'm aware that those movesets suck, but it was a LONG time ago when I used that team, which was designed to be able to take advantage of every weakness.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Also, I can fool around in Leafgreen using my Action Replay to catch Pokemon, lvl them to 100, etc.

My comp is stupid and doesn't allow me to run Netbattle, so any advice I have will be game-oriented only.

I can start working with that tomorrow.

edit: Started working with that already. I'm currently using my AR to quick-lvl my Charizard to 100, then I'll work on the other Charmanders I caught with the AR. Once the 4 of them are all at lvl 100, I'll take a look at them and see which is the best for the role of Special Sweeper, Physical Sweeper, or Tank. I'll also do the same for every non-uber or non-Legendary, as I'll assume you don't want them.

2nd edit: Interesting. I finished my Special Sweeper Charizard's stats.
HP 302
Attack 191
Defense 189
Sp. Atk. 302
Sp. Def. 229
Speed 225

Fragile as hell against a Physical Attacker, but I'll see how the stats on my other Charizards turn out.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Can't you just do it on NetBattle? I didn't think there was any difference (before the new patch...)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
It's an interesting and ambitious plan. I think the team should have A LOT of immunities while being able to damage stuff that switches in.

Let me explain that. Imo, the metagame is based a lot on 'immunity whoring'. Switch in something immune and get a free hit. Taking that to the extreme would be the 'ultimate' team. Switching in something that's just resistant is also good, but we should avoid taking damage as much as possible. Status effects must be avoided as well, obviously.

Some suggestions for Pokémon: Gyarados, Metagross, Swampert, Dusclops, Gengar, Weezing, Skarmory, Houndoom
Those Pokémon are both good and immune to a lot of stuff. While Blissey is a great special sponge (and gay), she doesn't have any immunities (except for ghost). Pokémon like that should be put in last to fill some gaps imo. The team will probably end up to be fitting for 'experts' only, since it will depend a lot on prediction while countering the same style.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Kokichi:

I could use Netbattle to create the teams, but even when I do, there's no way for me to test them, which is why I'm using the games. Besides, between my AR and Netbattle, I have everything I need to manipulate the Pokemon in every way. Doesn't take too long to level them up if you're cheating to do it.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I agree Marc, a lot of it is about keeping your pokemon alive. For example, if someone sounds out Jolteon against my hurt Salamence I can expect a Thunderbolt. So I switch into Swampert to take the hit and nullify it. Since most Jolteons (all the ones I've seen at least) have HP Grass to counter someone like Swmapert, I switch into my special sponge (currently Snorlax) right after. That way, after switching two times, I take damage from a non-STABbed weak HP Grass instead of a STABbed powerful Thunderbolt.

Definites you need on a team are a Flying-type / Levitate and Ground-type. Most people don't expect a double switch, or even a triple switch if you can predict well. However, what I find with this method is that I often have all of my pokemon alive at around half health to take down his 3 full life pokemon left. Thus I've just added an Umbreon w/ Baton Pass / Mean Look / Toxic / Wish to my team to try to heal my hurt pokemon. If I can pull it off right (with prediction it's not too hard) then I can baton pass to a pokemon that's good against the Mean Looked one, heal any damage he had on him before, then proceed to own.

What I've found, though, is that what really stops ANY team is status problems. Paralyze against healers / fast sweepers and such, Burn against physical sweepers / tanks / brutes, Toxic against anything really that's not named Milotic, a lucky Ice Beam freezing someone, etc. For that reason I'm starting to look more into Aromatheropy Blissey over Snorlax. While I hate to take out my tanking Snorlax (Body Slam / Shadow Ball / EQ / Rest @ Leftovers takes down a LOT of stuff, no one ever expects EQ on Snorlax so they always switch to a Rock-type), the ability to cure any status is just amazingly powerful.

I just have to watch out for Taunts, but then again if you can predict a Taunt you get a free attack. For example, I've learned that if they ever send out a DD / Taunt / HP Flying / Whatever Gyarados against you, switch to Weezing. They'll instantly Taunt (if they're smart, if they don't Taunt right away you'll know that they don't have it), so just pound away w/ Sludge Bomb. With Gyara's weak Def and Weezings STAB'd Sludge Bomb (his Atk is decent) and a good chance to poision, you can take out a Gyarados easily before he can take you out (each Sludge Bomb does about 33% damage).

I've found Sceptile more and more useful as time progress against Blisseys and Salamances and the like. Most people a) don't expect Sceptile to be ridiculously fast, and b) don't expect an HP Ice that can OHKO a Salamence (well, min damage is 96%, avg 105%, and max 114% damage, so if you're unlucky enough it will survive and you will die from an HP Flying >_<). If people are smart, though (which most aren't :p), you can easily stop a Leech Seeding / Substituting ******* staller by constantly switching pokemon over and over to waste his PP. Each only has 10, so start counting. After they lose that, they're down two moves and usually pretty helpless against a sponge.

I put Tyraniboah back on my team because there are just so many instances when I think to myself "Man, I really wish I had my Tyraniboah right now, it could easly mixed sweep everyone here." Also, being able to kill a dastardly hurt pokemon just by switching in is godly. Someone survived with 3% HP from an unlucky HP Ice? Bam, switch into Boah, he's dead. Shedininja (who actually owned my team one game because it was so freakin' hard for me to hit it)? Bam, sandstorm in and he's dead, loss of a pokemon right there. Not to mention he can take down a Snorlax / Blissey / Umbreon pretty easily.

My biggest problem right now is fighting spikers. I don't have a Utility to Rapid okSpin the spikes away, so I just have to rely on my Flying / Levitating pemon to sweep for my team. I've been able to do it in the past, but it's hard to only use 2 pokemon and win :p I've tried Starmie, but he tends to go down too fast to be really useful IMO. Granted he's a good switch in to a WoW, but the standard Starmie doesn't have Psychic. With Ice Beam / Surf / Recover / Spin Attack there's no room for Psychic. You could take away Surf and try to bluff your opponent (which also works), but a water attack is generally useful to take down steels, grounds, rocks, fires, whatever. You might be able to get by with just using EQ over and over, but it's still risky.

Claydol is a possibility, as is Donphan, but they both seem like a waste of a pokemon if I can prevent Spikes from ever happening, which is really hard to do. Spikers are really hard to take down before they at least get one ~ two spikes on you. I can have Magneton to take down Skarm in one hit, but not before he gets at least two spikes on me. Same with Cloyster, one Thunderbolt and it should go down, but it can just switch out against a Magneton. I can trap Forretress w/ Magneton, but a lot of them have EQ, and while I can't OHKO them with one Thunderbolt, they can OHKO me with a single EQ (**** you 4x resistance and no Levitate! You're floating in mid air for crying out loud!...but then I couldn't kill Skarms...sigh).

I could use Forretress myself, I suppose. That way I can not only Rapid Spin away spikes on me, but I can set them myself. Though then I need to watch out for the rare Fire types...also, would I start off with Forretress and try to set up spikes, or what? Decisions decisions...

drcossack

Smash Ace
Interesting decisions.

Your Gyarados problem? Meh. It's 4x weak to an Electric attack, and is an easy kill. If I know a Pokemon can learn Thunderbolt, they get it. The vast # of flying types, IMO, makes at least one Electric attack a necessity. Even if you don't get STAB, you're gonna seriously hurt them if you've got a strong Special Sweeper.

A team I'm looking at in Netbattle right now (not complete, need to take a look at their individual Natures.)

Countercoat Swampert, 362/249/237/177/249/237, Modest Nature, item is Lum Berry. Other moves are Ice Beam and EQ.

Articuno: 342, 227, 257, 227, 246, 307. Hardy Nature, Item NevermeltIce, HP Electric, Agility/Ice Beam/HP/Toxic.

Alakazam: 272, 157, 147, 297, 327, 227. Hardy Nature, Synchronize ability, Item Lum Berry, Fire Punch/Psychic/Thunder Wave/Rest.

Dragonite: 344, 325, 247, 217, 257, 257. Hardy Nature, Item Dragon Fang, Dragon Claw/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave.

Starmie: 288, 175, 227, 315, 257, 233, Timid Nature, Item Petaya Berry, Ice Beam/Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt.

Espeon: 286, 161, 170, 282, 363, 248, Modest Nature, Item Soul Dew, Baton Pass/Calm Mind/Psychic/Shadow Ball.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
End of story: There is no possible way to make an "ultimate" pokemon team, especially one that lasts more than a few days. The metagame changes all the time. =/

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
IR, please at least READ the post before commenting on it. Even if you read the one sentence with bold letters, that'd be enough to know what you posted had no relevance to the topic whatsoever. Ultimate team? No. Team to minimize failure? Yes.

And yes, that's what's fun about it, the metagame IS constantly changing, providing more content to deal with, and if you're enjoying what you do, then all the better.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
You know what? You're right. I didn't. And now I did. And my answer is the same. There is no way. End. And about that stuff you said about jotting down what people expect from certain things: people learn. There was a topic on Smogon where vets of Netbattle were noting that leaving their teams perfectly unchanged for more than a few days would usually give them worse results. Why? Because people learn. That's how standards have come and gone.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
It's similar to saying that there is a best pokemon. There just isn't because people change. Blissey used to be feared, and now I personally se hardly any "NO BLISSEY" crap anymore.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Of course they learn, so it destroys the point of the project in the long term. But I'm talking about a first-round battle where you can completely take them by surprise. If they know your strategy it doesn't matter WHAT team you have, they can design a team specifically created to take out yours, or they could simply predict what you're going to do based on previous matches. Therefore, this is a team that's designed to take down someone the first time you play it.
This isn't like Melee where you actively learn what the player likes to do, you already know all the moves of the person and exactly what they do, where they can hit you, etc. No, this is different. With this you have the element of surprise on your side. You have to out predict, not out twitch your opponent. If someone beats you once, theoretically you should do better the next fight.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I've been using the same team for ages, still win almost all of my matches, and it's not even that 'cheap' (no SkarmBliss/Snorlax/Tyranitar etc.). It IS possible to get close to perfection. Also depends on the player of course.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Curious, mind posting your team, Marc? I like to see what works and what doesn't. Granted it depends on the player, the "best" team in the world could lose to the worst team in the world if in the wrong hands, but I'm sure I'd be able to understand how you use it :)

Also, do you NetBattle?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Yeah, I picked it up again recently. I do have periods where I don't play at all though. Every team is basically the same atm too.

The team I use the most is: Aerodactyl/Swampert/Jolteon/Gengar/Weezing/Regice

All are fairly standard. A few interesting points are that my Swampert knows HP Fire and that my Jolteon knows Roar and Quick Attack. My Gengar is the typical McGar. The team's designed to beat a lot, but I'll lose to endless intelligent immunity whoring with this. I could replace Regice with Blissey and probably get better results, but I dislike using her.

I also have a few other teams, without a legendary (some people have issues with Regice). Those teams have Pokémon like Gyarados, Metagross, Rhydon, Medicham and Milotic in it. Some of those teams may be actually better than my 'main' team, but I like using that one more.

As you can see, my style is both offensive and defensive, and I also tend to switch a lot. I also predict a lot, which works out fine most of the time. Sometimes I overpredict though, because I over/underestime my opponent.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Curious, what's the standard McGar have? Sub/Punch/Bolt/IcePunch?

Also, I've noticed that since I removed all the Def EVs in my Snorlax and put them in SDef (since he's supposed to be my sponge) his effectiveness dropped, since often times I face mixed sweepers. I get stuck in a switching contest where I switch into an EQ w/ Weezing, then into a Surf or something with Snorlax, then into an EQ w/ Weezing, and all that's happening is Snorlax is getting hurt. I think I should either keep Sceptile or put in Ludicolo to sponge and counter EQs...that might be helpful.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Shadow Ball instead of Ice Punch. Ice Punch has only been around since the release of Emerald, and I like how Gengar owns psychic and other ghost types when he has a sub up.;)

Sceptile and Ludicolo are both nice, though they fall a bit short at times. Grass type eh... You may want to consider Exeggutor. He's a bit underrated as a physical tank and can sweep really well too.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Well I was trying to think of a good counter to Swampert without having to use Suicune, and Grass have a natural resistance to EQ, which is nice. That usually gives me a free Sub / Leech Seed, which can really be helpful if I couple it with Mean Look. However, I don't like to have my team rely on one pokemon.

Ice Punch seems like it'd be able to do a bit more than Shadow Ball since there tends to be many more Salamences / Dragon / Flying types than there are Psychic types. Then again you could also remove Sub & Focus Punch, put his EVs in Speed and SAtk, then go Ice Punch / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / HP Something...just seems like you have to sacrifice a lot of EVs and such just to give Gengar enough Atk to do any decent damage with FP.

Also, I put Magneton back in my party, simply to counter Skarmory. I can't really think of a better way. I could put Donphan in, but then they'd either switch to a Ghost-type and make Rapid Spin ineffective or they'd get basically a free switch on a poke that can set up against me when I'm forced to switch out.

So, in your experience, what's the best way to deal with Spikers?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I don't even have a real Swampert counter myself, just not much stuff really weak to it. For some things you have to rely on only one Pokémon though, the game is made like that (can't have 6 Hazers etc.). Suicune is lame imo anyway. ;p Btw, when switching in a grass type vs Swampert, watch out for Ice Beam/HP Bug. In one team, I like to switch in Milotic and hypnotize him. I also think Breloom should work. Swampert is a ***** to take down though.

As for my Gengar set, I already have enough stuff against Dragon Dancers. People also switch in Alakazam and Gengar in against Gengar often. OHKO'ing them rules. I need the sub, so I always can use a move doing decent damage. Gengar is my SkarmBliss-counter. It 2HKO's both. My Gengar has an attack of 251, a speed of 319 and a special attack of 296. Focus Punch is meant for Blissey, it does enough damage against her (the move's power also makes up for a lot). Shadow Ball gets STAB and is (almost) only used when super effective. The set really works (it actually is standard for a reason :)).

Spikers... Magneton is a good way to counter them (with HP Fire), I actually use it in one team. I usually just switch in Gengar and put up a Sub vs Skarm. My Swampert kills Forretress with HP Fire. Cloyster is pretty rare and easily killed by Jolteon. I don't care about Spikes too much, since half my team is immune to them. It's also very rare for the opponent to get 3x Spikes in. I have to admit I experience some problems with them with other teams, but Skarmory is just 'cheap' like that. I'd just put in Magneton, since it's a decent Poke anyway. I wouldn't bother with Rapid Spin, unless your matches tend to drag on a lot.

I also think the 'ultimate' team should have about 2-3 Pokémon immune to Spikes.;)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
That's one thing that I have to do; build multiple teams. I have a lot of saved replays with people telling me that I'm "really good" at battling (my most recent battle against some random clan boss ended with "You're the best person I've ever fought" and her little minion watching kept saying "wow he's good"). Granted a lot of it was based upon my ability to predict what they were going to do, and that's really what's fun for me.

I fought a good team that was able to efficiently use Ninjask's speed up / baton passing, and those teams, if you can pull it off, tend to be a lot of fun, as do teams with an Umbreon, so I'll probably work on making multiple sets of teams. I think that way you can really see what works and what doesn't, as opposed to only having one team.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
u should just look at the best players' teams and see whats in'em.
Chaos is top of the top and his most serious team(at the time when i used to play him like 4 months ago) was your basic power tanks: Suicune, Skarm, Blissey, 2 others and a ChoiceBand Salamence to fish the job.
His team really didn't have any "surprise" moves....he just basically switches like hell and absorbs your attacks and roars, rapidpins, etc til he has your team completely fatigued and figured out, then he targets your weaknesses by mind gaming the switches then takes you out once he's that one move ahead w/ either Sala and CM suicune.

Moreso an arrogant *******, really, though. He is obviously better than me...but he does NOt take kindly to hax or if somebody actually beats him in the mindgames. And i personally know that because i beat his best team using a half UU team w/ Azumaril once. As a reward i was banned from his server or a while.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Imo, using Suicune effectively doesn't make you top of the top, especially with SkarmBliss backing it up. And a real pro shouldn't act childish.

Yeah, trying multiple teams is a good thing. I keep coming back to the same stuff a lot though. It's funny how I have the least experience with stuff like SkarmBliss. I usually dislike playing teams that require set-up, since they can be easily screwed and can make matches drag on. Often I find myself with about 4 sweepers and 2 tanks. I'm also kinda through with testing, and sorta done with this generation.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Yeah, I know what you mean. At this point in time all the moves and pokemon have already been figured out and plotted on sites like Smogon. All possible strategies have already been discussed, discected, and tested. All that's left now is the mind game, really. There are no move combinations anymore that make someone go "wha-huh?" That's why DP will be so awesome; with new moves, new pokemon, and new pokemon types, planning new amazing combos will be a LOT of fun. Personally, I can't wait.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
It'll be fun to see some new stuff, although I'm not too excited about even more prevolutions (of the 5 new Pokémon revealed, 3 are pre-evo's...). ~~ I think it's also been announced there will be no new types, just new type combinations. I don't own a DS (yet) though, so I'll have to wait for emulation or just play online. We'll just see what the next generation brings. ^^

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye, I wish that they would have added a new type of pokemon (at least one would have been nice), but I'm sure they know what they're doing. My guess is that they'll have every possible type combination done by creating a lot of interesting dual-type pokemon (can you imagine what Ice / Fire type would be like? Or how about Electric / Dragon?). That should be a lot of fun. And yeah, they announced that a lot of pokemon are getting pre-evos...it seems like the pokemon that don't even really NEED pre-evos are getting them. At least Sneasle get's an evolution. I know they said that they're adding a lot of pre-evos and evolutions to pokemon that don't have any...I just hope not all pokemon evolve (some are best left alone).

That being said, I am *so* hoping for a pre-evo and (especially) a Farfetch'd evolution. He's already hands-down the coolest pokemon in the game, it's about time he bacame one of the most powerful and famous as well, chi.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I personally I'am interested........I'm a big Sneasel user and now he's got a evolution he's probably going to finally have at least 100 base attack and his speed will probably pushed up equal to Sceptile along with decent HP and defenses finally.

And generally legendaries really do annoy me....competitive teams are one thing, but trying to pass off legendaries as non-overpowered is frickin ridiculous which unfortunately lots of people attempt to do and then have the nerve to call strategies like Endure/Reversal cheap.

Also most of the existing legendaries require next to zero strategy to do even minimal damage and generally turn a stale game (thanks to Salamence and co.) into something even more boring.

I mean theres not even that big a variety, we have 386 Pokemon, but we only ever see about 15 of them being used since just full evolutions actually cuts that number down by nearly half.

So more pokemon and new moves is actually exactly what the game needs for a refreshing something to break the standards but what is needed more is a physical weakness for water types. Considering that 40% of pokemon are water types and 3 of the most unstoppable tanks in the game are that way because they have no physical weakness and high defense and spcl.def. Suicune, Kyogre, Milotic. Lets face it, anyone who claims they haven't been swept effortlessly at least once by a Suicune is plain lying since theres absolutely no effective counter for the thing.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Problem is, the old Pokémon won't disappear. When GSC was around, people were hoping Blissey would be weakened a lot in the next generation (well, at least I did). At first she wasn't around too much and yes, she's been weakened a bit (so have all Pokémon), but guess what's on 90% of the teams now... I really liked the 202 period... Suicune will always be what he is, since they won't change his stats.

Why do Sudowoodo and Mr. Mime get pre-evolutions? It'd be better for them to get evolutions. There's a new Steel/Fighting Pokémon, which is a decent type combo, but a lot of combinations just don't work. Look at Magcargo for example... 4x weak to Surf and Earthquake while sucking anyway... Many type combinations also stand for more neutral damage, like Kingdra. That's not a bad thing, but immunities/resistances are kinda mandatory. I have faith in Nintendo, but not too much. ;)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye, and unfortunately (I think) you can trade pokemon from RSEFRLG over to DP. I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case so it'd be a nice fresh start for everyone...if DP will be the only "mainstream" pokemon game coming out for the DS for a while, I'll feel like I need to get fr and lg and try to get all the different versions of Deoxys as well as other pokemon to complete the pokedex...

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Yeah, I also think you can trade from the GBA games. As for the Pokédex, I don't really bother that much with it anymore, completed it in the older generations anyway. I partially use Action Replay for it now. I can imagine not starting over again btw, it would seem like a bit of a rip-off (unless all Pokémon could be caught in Diamond and Pearl).

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
Marc said:
Problem is, the old Pokémon won't disappear. When GSC was around, people were hoping Blissey would be weakened a lot in the next generation (well, at least I did). At first she wasn't around too much and yes, she's been weakened a bit (so have all Pokémon), but guess what's on 90% of the teams now... I really liked the 202 period... Suicune will always be what he is, since they won't change his stats.

Why do Sudowoodo and Mr. Mime get pre-evolutions? It'd be better for them to get evolutions. There's a new Steel/Fighting Pokémon, which is a decent type combo, but a lot of combinations just don't work. Look at Magcargo for example... 4x weak to Surf and Earthquake while sucking anyway... Many type combinations also stand for more neutral damage, like Kingdra. That's not a bad thing, but immunities/resistances are kinda mandatory. I have faith in Nintendo, but not too much. ;)
I generally hoped Blissey would be weakened too, but if anything the variable stats system has basically made SkarmBliss even stronger plus Natural Cure and Serene Grace for overkill and all they did I believe was lower its speed by 10 base........

And Water Pokemon are way too broken overall without a new physical typing that has effectiveness against them. Or more at least something else that gives a big screw you to Suicune. If anything a banned legendaries format would probably sort out all the problems in one go.

Clauses were introduced by Stadium series and have now become standards so I don't see why they can't introduce a legendary clause as well. Even if there are counters, I'd much rather face the standard cheap fare of Salamence, Blissey, Skarmory, Heracross than legendaries with overkilled stats and unstoppable moves.

Theres simply absolutely no reason to use half the available pokemon because everything is so unbalanced. Murkrow, Mawile, Nosepass also come to mind....Scizor and Scyther is more a example of what is needed since both can be used. Quite frankly if they don't address those main problems of offering either more choices for counters the game is going to plain die. Since the normal adventure fare is a tedius and pretty standard affair.

Just look at fire types, they are the most horribly messed up type now with few choices, absolutely nothing against other fire types (Flash Fire) and completely overwhelmed by the most common type in the game and most of the popular moves EQ etc. (Magcargo especially)

Ice types offer little for choice....how many Ice types that are not dual water type can actually use Ice moves decently?

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
To me, when you look at it, a UU battle would seem like MUCH more fun than an OU battle. You'd see a lot more pokemon variation, strategy, and close calls; no more "if I kill your one pokemon that can stop my uber you're whole team is dead" kinda thing.

I should just make a team full of Farfetch'ds and beat somebody...oh, how awesome that would be.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
Unfortunately thats what I mean about unbalanced......the thing is so weak it can't even hold out in UU battling and desperately needs a evolution, for crying out loud its stats are on average with a Bulbasaur......oh how awesome it'd be to win with a duck with a leek. The things moves much like Murkrow are highly diverse, but they lack anything resembling HP or defenses.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Well I can understand from a developer's point of view that you have to have naturally weaker and stronger pokemon. That way when someone raises a Raticate and you send them out against an equal level end-game character like Dragonite you're going to be in for a tough battle. Also, the player has to feel like he can catch one of those "tough" pokemon, proving that he's gone from catching Pidgeots and Rattatas to catching Bagons and Lavitars and the such.

However, I really hope that we either see one of two things in the next pokemon; the first being more equal level pokemon, the second being some way to make a pokemon's stats similar to each other for the purpose of battling. I know that NetBattle has the whole level balance thing, but I haven't really experimented with it - do you know if it's supposed to even out a Farfetch'd with a Dragonite by putting it 20 levels above it or what?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Don't know exactly how level balance works, but it sucks imo.

A physical weakness for water would be nice, but which type? And Suicune has great defensive powers anyway. =p Fire should definitely get better, don't know how exactly though. As for ice, it has some decent/good Pokémon imo.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye, I think Fire needs some love. As does Grass. As does Farfetch'd ^_< But yeah, I think it'd be nice of each type had a physical and special weakness, that way you can't have a super high Def water pokemon just own *coughSuicunecough*. The best way to deal with the likes of them is to surprise them with Mirror Coat, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom