• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Super Jump!?!?

AsuraWeapon

Smash Cadet
so i barely noticed it the first two times, but i KNEW i saw Sheik jump nearly three times her first jump height (can't remember what level i was playing)... i couldn't figure out how to replicate the effect afterwards though... later i was playing with Lucario on Shadow Moses, and he did the same crazy high jump... it was a crowded match, but i was pretty positive i didn't footstool, and this time i noticed i used a combination of the GC's L trigger and up on the C-stick in close succession around initiating the second jump... so i tried it again a few more times... it worked!!, but i'm not sure of the timing or order quite yet... i'm going to go work it out some more, but i thought i'd just share in the meantime if anybody wants to give it a try too... more as it comes!!

AsuraWeapon

Smash Cadet
it was versus Mr G&W, Pit, and Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur at the time... i've been trying it it practice mode at normal and slower speeds to no avail yet... honestly, it was about the height of a footstool jump, but there was nobody in close proximity and i didn't notice anyone get knocked down or squat their head... still holding out though

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean cuz this EPIDEMIC has happened to mean buy I just ignored and moved on but I know what you mean.

TheLake

Smash Master
It was GnW's upair...the same thing happend to me today too except it was my squirtles up B.

Easy as that (:

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
he said he tried it a few times though, i doubt g&w was under him every single time...

Dinivan

Smash Rookie
I had this happen a few times with squirtle, actually. I'm pretty positive I wasn't using the L trigger because, well, I almost never use the l trigger. I hit the jump button to 2nd jump, and then up aerial'd. I went very high, like the aerial added to the momentum change of my 2nd jump and flung me upwards. I don't own a wii, so I don't have an opportunity to test these sorts of things.

AsuraWeapon

Smash Cadet
sorry to disappoint; i think you guys were right about it being G&W's up-aerial despite my belief/hope that he wasn't underneath me when it did happen... i wasn't able to repeat after two hours off and on trying it, but i'll try some more another day...

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
If you Foot Stool hop off an opponent who is in a particular animation you'll hop off their head and they won't be effected by it. Shielding can cause this and so can hanging onto the ledge. This is what I suspect happened to you.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i'll throw my consensus in, too. It was most likely either a footstool jump or G&W's Uair. That's not to say it might be something different, but it's probable one of these two things is responsible.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if you ddint footstool jump,... maybe it was G&W air thing the parachute that blows u up?

Dinivan

Smash Rookie
I really don't think it was a footstool jump that I'd experienced, unless it has buggy properties that:
1) let's you footstool jump off of people that are about 4 or more body lengths away from you horizontally.
2) Doesn't change you or your characters animation
3) can be performed well above character's heads.

Yeah. I was playing a match that had no GW's and I'm pretty confident it wasn't a FSJ simply because I was on the side of a stage, with no one near me, testing out pokemon trainer's moves (it was one of the first times I'd played). Since then, I haven't had the opportunity or desire to screw around with character properties. But if you're going to test it, I'd say he's a good one to try it with.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think it was a footstool jump that I'd experienced, unless it has buggy properties that:
1) let's you footstool jump off of people that are about 4 or more body lengths away from you horizontally.
2) Doesn't change you or your characters animation
3) can be performed well above character's heads.

Yeah. I was playing a match that had no GW's and I'm pretty confident it wasn't a FSJ simply because I was on the side of a stage, with no one near me, testing out pokemon trainer's moves (it was one of the first times I'd played). Since then, I haven't had the opportunity or desire to screw around with character properties. But if you're going to test it, I'd say he's a good one to try it with.
Well, in this case, then, is it possible you weren't aware that Charizard has 3 jumps?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Why are people so against something new being in the game?
*laughs* We're not. And even if you could make an argument that some people are, this thread isn't really the best one to pick. We're particularly skeptical of this particular issue because there are several different things that could be responsible for something that seemed like a bigger jump, namely a footstool jump, being caped by mario during your jump, and G&W Uair.

We're not necessarily against it, we're just trying to figure out exactly what is happening, or at the very least, rule out as many things as possible that aren't happening.

mhemm

Smash Rookie
This has also happened to me when I was playing a friend. He (toon Link) did some sort of a "super jump" on the Pikmin level. It was enough of a difference for both of us to take notice. It could not have been a footstool seeing as we were on different sides of the stage at times. We haven't been able to recreate it as of yet, however. I was starting to think he footstooled off of the pikmin plants on that stage before I saw this thread.

Don't immediately dissmiss this, there COULD be something to it.

BTW I was diddy, so no G&W in that matchup.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
It has something to do with characters 2nd Jumps (I'm not sure if works with characters who have more than one aerial jump or wired properties such as Lucas) and performing an action in some sort of frame window. I've had it happen to me a number of times, mostly when performing aerials with the c-stick.

DykeLOL

Smash Rookie
I think you might have done a wall jump without noticing it.
Lucario and Sheik can both do them...
And if you were at SMI then it's very possible because of the two large walls.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
this has also occured to me ona number of occasions this and also not going downward on dair thats sends you down like zss' i would do her dair and i would stay in the same spot in mid air and not be sent downward like is supose to happen and i was in battlefired and i was fighting snake 1v1. I would try to replicate this but i dont care enough too nor have the time, Just wantd to leave this because your tryign to make the guy out to be an idiot without just cause... open mindedness is not a bad thing...

Dinivan

Smash Rookie
It seems a few other people noticed it. I couldn't get the timing down pat, but it is using an aerial (c-sticked, at least. Haven't tried other means) immediately after hitting the 2nd jump button. I don't know if it's a momentum summation thing, or if it is just crazy direction input windows that the c-stick does for you.

And for reference, when I said that I knew I was PT, not vs. a GW, not affected by any weird physics business, and not near another player, I forgot to re-mention that I was doing this thing with squirtle. So have people really had no success trying to re-create this situation?

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
this has also occured to me ona number of occasions this and also not going downward on dair thats sends you down like zss' i would do her dair and i would stay in the same spot in mid air and not be sent downward like is supose to happen and i was in battlefired and i was fighting snake 1v1. I would try to replicate this but i dont care enough too nor have the time, Just wantd to leave this because your tryign to make the guy out to be an idiot without just cause... open mindedness is not a bad thing...
not exactly the same thing that's being discussed, but to let you know, what you are talking about has been posted around a bit. Basically what happens, is that if you were hit into the air and try to d-air afterwards you don't go into the downward movement like your supposed to, instead you'll stay in place :chuckle:

Back on topic, if what is being said is true and someone can post up a video or even some sort of explanation about the timing/button presses it would be pretty awesome :D

It seems a few other people noticed it. I couldn't get the timing down pat, but it is using an aerial (c-sticked, at least. Haven't tried other means) immediately after hitting the 2nd jump button. I don't know if it's a momentum summation thing, or if it is just crazy direction input windows that the c-stick does for you.
hmm, that sounds kinda like an aerial stutter step :dizzy:

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
The_Dragon, it's not that we don't want to be open minded, it's just that we'd like to determine exactly what's happening before we say anything for sure. The Dair glitch you mentioned is certainly real, and there's even video evidence with Toon Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRmDoJm0VI

We're not trying to tear apart the OP, it's just that in Brawl, there are several different things that create upwards momentum that not everyone might be familiar with. I've tried recreating this as Squirtle as you said, Dinivan, with little success. Can you recall what stage, and specifically what area of that stage, you were at anytime this happened?

The fact that several people have noticed this says something, but it's hardly definitive, as the situations in which each of these examples happened are completely different, and the details for most are nonexistent or very sketchy.

There COULD be something here, don't get me wrong, but at the moment there's little more than hearsay to back it up. Here is every possible explanation I can think of, using known game mechanics. See if there's any you can't immediately eliminate as not responsible, then try them and see if they look similar: Mario cape during a jump, G&W Uair, footstool jump, walljump, wallhug + jump (squirtle can wall hug), Sonic's spring. I can't think of anything else, and while most of those don't seem practically responsible without you knowing it.. that's the best I can come up with, lol.

Could you detail better what you're doing to replicate it, and where (in case it's location specific) so I can attempt to recreate it better? Understand that I'm not against the idea, just doubtful.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
We need to get either button input, or a video. One or the other can prove yes or no on this question forever.

Top Bottom