• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
I've gotten some very janky things from the sword trails with different values, some seeming like they are trying to predict the previous position of the sword from its current position(might just be in my mind though), also high values causes some strange effects and crashing.
I think I know what you mean. You'll get normal toggles with C4000000 and C5FFFFFF, but I recall using C4000001 to create what looked like initialization problems with the trail. When using a non-0 input it'll use the last known location from a previous trail to start the interpolation of the first frame of a new trail.

You can get a similar effect with hitbox interpolations by messing with the initialization status at hitbox.0x0 (or the various pos/lastpos coordinates)

I looked into the C4 parsing function and it seems to just plop a resulting byte from the input into the address at player.0x2160 -- so it's probably possible to figure out why it does this by playing with that address and anything that reads/writes to it. The trail interpolations are kinda cool, but it'd be nice to figure out if it's just a result of an erroneous input.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Does any one know how to add hit box's to a taunt, Or change the active frames of a counter?
active frames of counter are probably just a subaction event somewhere. Probably "autocancel". move that around. Hitboxes on taunts are not always possible, you could try using Achilles new custom subaction, but its pretty complicated. Its in the codes section of the melee workshop.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
Does any one know how to add hit box's to a taunt, Or change the active frames of a counter?
active frames of counter are probably just a subaction event somewhere. Probably "autocancel". move that around. Hitboxes on taunts are not always possible, you could try using Achilles new custom subaction, but its pretty complicated. Its in the codes section of the melee workshop.
Yes, you can add hitboxes with the 2C event. I don't know about counters, but if it's in the event data then you can also alter "timer" events 04 and 08 to change timings for it and other things written in the event data.

If you can imagine all of the subaction event data to be "bursts" of instructions that are separated by "timing windows;" then it should help you understand how everything in the event data is separated by "keyframes."

• 04 "sync" timer adds a number of frames to the keyframe timer countdown
  • 08 "async" timer specifies a frame for the current timer to count down to.

---

For taunt hitboxes, well... It's totally possible.

But first you'll probably need to get familiar with the information in Itaru's Melee Syntax School thread, so you'll understand how to extend subactions. (there isn't usually much room in a taunt for beefy things like hitboxes, and Crazy Hand currently only replaces the data rather than "make room for new stuff")

Then, if you want to use Crazy Hand and the Code Manager to do some heavy lifting for you, you can use Achilles' recent Character Data event in order to replace the "goto" operation (learned about in the above thread by Itaru) with something that points into RAM--allowing extensions to be written in the form of a dummy injection mod.

You would then just need to fit this event into the "appeal" subaction from the crazy hand GUI:

F8FF000C 020003EC <pointer used by dummy injection mod>

---

At the moment you sort of have to go to great lengths to make this work nicely; but I could see something like this eventually turning into something as simple as an MCM code that serves data pointers with the help of standalone functions.

( Ampers Ampers Tater Tater ... Subaction data included in a code like this could be read/written to in the form of a simple text file provided by MCM -- do you have any future interest in providing subaction extensions for Crazy Hand in the form of codes written to the dol?)

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you can add hitboxes with the 2C event. I don't know about counters, but if it's in the event data then you can also alter "timer" events 04 and 08 to change timings for it and other things written in the event data.

If you can imagine all of the subaction event data to be "bursts" of instructions that are separated by "timing windows;" then it should help you understand how everything in the event data is separated by "keyframes."

• 04 "sync" timer adds a number of frames to the keyframe timer countdown
  • 08 "async" timer specifies a frame for the current timer to count down to.

---

For taunt hitboxes, well... It's totally possible.

But first you'll probably need to get familiar with the information in Itaru's Melee Syntax School thread, so you'll understand how to extend subactions. (there isn't usually much room in a taunt for beefy things like hitboxes, and Crazy Hand currently only replaces the data rather than "make room for new stuff")

Then, if you want to use Crazy Hand and the Code Manager to do some heavy lifting for you, you can use Achilles' recent Character Data event in order to replace the "goto" operation (learned about in the above thread by Itaru) with something that points into RAM--allowing extensions to be written in the form of a dummy injection mod.

You would then just need to fit this event into the "appeal" subaction from the crazy hand GUI:

F8FF000C 020003EC <pointer used by dummy injection mod>

---

At the moment you sort of have to go to great lengths to make this work nicely; but I could see something like this eventually turning into something as simple as an MCM code that serves data pointers with the help of standalone functions.

( Ampers Ampers Tater Tater ... Subaction data included in a code like this could be read/written to in the form of a simple text file provided by MCM -- do you have any future interest in providing subaction extensions for Crazy Hand in the form of codes written to the dol?)
I mean sometimes its physically not possible without custom subactions. Try adding a hitbox to DK's taunt and you'll see.

Last edited:

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
I mean sometimes its physically not possible without custom subactions. Try adding a hitbox to DK's taunt and you'll see.
What's the trouble you're having, tatatat0?
(gfycat)

Edit: I guess I missed the "custom" detail. Looking at it now I think I see what you were trying to say; there isn't a spot with 5 lines available between gotos?

Well I guess that's what I was trying to explain; there's often no room for beefy hitboxes without extensions. But F8 is a fairly simple way to go about it.

---

There are scenarios where 3 lines is too big as well, so this method isn't perfect either. If this were served via ASM, it would be possible to make it have 0-footprint on the existing event data.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman

What's the trouble you're having, tatatat0?

Edit: I guess I missed the "custom" detail. Looking at it now I think I see what you were trying to say; there isn't a spot with 5 lines available between gotos?

Well I guess that's what I was trying to explain; there's often no room for beefy hitboxes without extensions. But F8 is a fairly simple way to go about it.
There is enough room there, just take away any sound effects rumble, and continuation timers. The effect I got a while ago was quite shocking. Or maybe I did remove a goto, idk. I don't think I did.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Actually I don't even remember everything I did in that video, I think I was also explaining another glitch that occurred because of it, but the effects were crazy. I probably relocated the subaction. Anyways its really late, I drove all the way to CSU and took my reaction impairing sleep medicine, so I really cannot think straight right now.

Last edited:

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
There is enough room there, just take away any sound effects rumble, and continuation timers. The effect I got a while ago was quite shocking. Or maybe I did remove a goto, idk. I don't think I did.
Oh, I should mention that I just have Melee open right now from an earlier test I was doing, and so I just used the input field of my SAEvent Scheduler code in order to see what you were talking about with that quick example I posted earlier. I use the raw data feature to just copy over the data into a memory view in cheat engine to test things live--so I didn't really go through any saving to the ISO or anything.

Edit: (to further clarify; I wrote an F8 event into the event data that'd already been loaded into RAM. The F8 event made a special "goto" that points into another place in RAM--that place being the empty input field of my other code. I used this space in order to write new subaction data, which was just a hitbox copied from DK's Usmash)

Maybe it's a bug? I'd be curious if you could reproduce it; because I can take a look at the player data in RAM to see what's up with those hitboxes.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I should mention that I just have Melee open right now from an earlier test I was doing, and so I just used the input field of my SAEvent Scheduler code in order to see what you were talking about with that quick example I posted earlier. I use the raw data feature to just copy over the data into a memory view in cheat engine to test things live--so I didn't really go through any saving to the ISO or anything.

Edit: (to further clarify; I wrote an F8 event into the event data that'd already been loaded into RAM. The F8 event made a special "goto" that points into another place in RAM--that place being the empty input field of my other code. I used this space in order to write new subaction data, which was just a hitbox copied from DK's Usmash)

Maybe it's a bug? I'd be curious if you could reproduce it; because I can take a look at the player data in RAM to see what's up with those hitboxes.
I have his entire subaction opened up in crazy hand at one point. I'm also pretty sure I posted about this in this thread before.

omegagmaster

Smash Cadet
Read this:

http://smashboards.com/threads/new-melee-syntax-school-you-can-write-character-commands-now.402587/

Using Crazy Hand, find the offsets of AppealR/AppealL (taunts right and left respectively) for your character and edit them with a hex editor using the guide I provided. To make room for a hitbox, just remove some subaction data like graphics/sfx/rumble etc.

As for the counter frames, I don't really know. I haven't played around much with Crazy Hand. I suggest trying to look under Character Specific Attributes for Marth/Roy? Someone correct me on this.

Edit: Just saw a post above me regarding this. I don't really know then.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312

The hit is probably being inverted, then runs into an overflow issue.

Yesterday, I was writing a code for a joke mod I decided to make, and a register that wasn't properly cleared (or overwrote something on the stack) would occassionally cause an issue where C. Falcon's taunt caused his leg to go up through his head like an insane yoga pose. That was when it was somewhat working, but I've since broken the **** out of it.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
tatatat0 tatatat0 I peeked at the GUI in your video and remade the hitbox you created. I reproduced the glitch with very similar effects! I think I know what's happening. I don't think this is a glitch in Crazy Hand, but definitely something you should be aware of -- Ampers Ampers Tater Tater

SinsOfApathy SinsOfApathy I thought that at first it was an overflow, but it actually seems to be a bit more interesting. I think it has to do with how offsets in the file data get converted into pointers after being loaded. Here's the original data being replaced:

14 00 00 00 00 00 39 44 08 00 00 23 14 00 00 00 00 00 39 44

And here's the created hitbox:

2C 00 00 01 0D AC 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 1C 28 53

But this is the data that gets parsed in training mode on Final Destination:

2C 00 00 01 8E D2 3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 81 42 64 53

And the slightly different data parsed in training mode on Hyrule Temple:

2C 00 00 01 8E D0 14 E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 81 40 3D 33

---

Control events that "point" to a data offset (14 and 1C, for example) have their .dat offsets calculated once loaded in order to be absolute pointers. The "8"s that appear in front of the garbled words above in RED appear where the old event 14 "gotos" would normally calculate a pointer. I think the game is trying to interpret these old "offset" positions from the goto events that used to take their place.

So my guess is that the function that loads the event data is somehow referencing where these data offset/pointer conversions take place by some other means.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
tatatat0 tatatat0 I peeked at the GUI in your video and remade the hitbox you created. I reproduced the glitch with very similar effects! I think I know what's happening. I don't think this is a glitch in Crazy Hand, but definitely something you should be aware of -- Ampers Ampers Tater Tater

SinsOfApathy SinsOfApathy I thought that at first it was an overflow, but it actually seems to be a bit more interesting. I think it has to do with how offsets in the file data get converted into pointers after being loaded. Here's the original data being replaced:

14 00 00 00 00 00 39 44 08 00 00 23 14 00 00 00 00 00 39 44

And here's the created hitbox:

2C 00 00 01 0D AC 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 1C 28 53

But this is the data that gets parsed in training mode on Final Destination:

2C 00 00 01 8E D2 3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 81 42 64 53

And the slightly different data parsed in training mode on Hyrule Temple:

2C 00 00 01 8E D0 14 E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 81 40 3D 33

---

Control events that "point" to a data offset (14 and 1C, for example) have their .dat offsets calculated once loaded in order to be absolute pointers. The "8"s that appear in front of the garbled words above in RED appear where the old event 14 "gotos" would normally calculate a pointer. I think the game is trying to interpret these old "offset" positions from the goto events that used to take their place.

So my guess is that the function that loads the event data is somehow referencing where these data offset/pointer conversions take place by some other means.
The relocation table in a file lists every address within that file that is a pointer, so it can convert them into RAM pointers when the file is loaded. The addresses in that subaction that were pointers will continue to be thought of as pointers until the address is removed from the relocation table.

BigBrotherBlade

Smash Rookie
Wow, lots of help guys! I really appreciate it, but one thing, i just started using Crazy hand a few days ago, so im still very new to this stuff. Not to sure what you mean by subtraction and stuff. Any tutorials that can explain this stuff?

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Wow, lots of help guys! I really appreciate it, but one thing, i just started using Crazy hand a few days ago, so im still very new to this stuff. Not to sure what you mean by subtraction and stuff. Any tutorials that can explain this stuff?
Subtraction? Do you mean subaction? Subactions are every single move a character has, like Dashing, F-smashing, Grabbing, Jumping, and airdodging. If you want to know more you should check out Itaru's thread, and the top post of Melee Hacks and you(its both a place to learn and discuss, but some of the discussions can be really complicated) Also I don't really think there is any guide to crazyhand itself (I know people have asked for it before), but hopefully its ease of use will allow you to self-learn it or you can just look up or ask questions in this thread(there are some old questions in some of the previous pages). Hope this helps!

Last edited:

BigBrotherBlade

Smash Rookie
Also I don't really think there is any guide to crazyhand itself (I know people have asked for it before), but hopefully its ease of use will allow you to self-learn it or you can just look up or ask questions in this thread(there are some old questions in some of the pre
Subtraction? Do you mean subaction? Subactions are every single move a character has, like Dashing, F-smashing, Grabbing, Jumping, and airdodging. If you want to know more you should check out Itaru's thread, and the top post of Melee Hacks and you(its both a place to learn and discuss, but some of the discussions can be really complicated) Also I don't really think there is any guide to crazyhand itself (I know people have asked for it before), but hopefully its ease of use will allow you to self-learn it or you can just look up or ask questions in this thread(there are some old questions in some of the previous pages). Hope this helps!
I Read everything there is but i still dont have a good grip on it. I dont really understand the Op's were talking about on those threads. I still have trouble knowing how to add hitbox's or particle effects

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
I Read everything there is but i still dont have a good grip on it. I dont really understand the Op's were talking about on those threads. I still have trouble knowing how to add hitbox's or particle effects
I'll try making a small guide later today.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
how do i give a move more frames? Like giving ganon's nair the +9-12 frames falcon's nair has over ganon's
You'd want to set a frame speed modifier on Ganon's AttackAirN at frame 0 for say 9.0x, and set a frame speed modifer on Ganon's AttackAirN at frame 9 for 1.0x, this would make frames 0-9 instant, if that is what you mean.

Last edited:

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
I do have an actual question though. How do you know...stuff? Like...could someone make a tutorial on this? It's pretty fun to mess around with but some things like just knowing the value for some sfx or the "integer value number" for a projectile I just don't understand how to know these things and what certain things mean such as Asynchronous Timer, etc.

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
I do have an actual question though. How do you know...stuff? Like...could someone make a tutorial on this? It's pretty fun to mess around with but some things like just knowing the value for some sfx or the "integer value number" for a projectile I just don't understand how to know these things and what certain things mean such as Asynchronous Timer, etc.

Unfortunately a lot of this information is pretty scattered around the forum. The vast majority of what you will ever want to know about character modding is here, you just gotta do some digging to find it. The "Melee hacks & you" thread (which is stickied) does a pretty good job of consolidating some of this information, so that's a good place to go. Itaru has had many good posts about melee events and such, he's pretty wonderful.

Many many times I've considered making my own Melee character modding tutorials/guides for new people such as yourself, because it can be pretty daunting when you have no idea where to look for what you want to know. I'd love to make some posts/videos/documents about character modding basics, but I just don't have time. Perhaps some day. But if anybody else would be interested in doing this, I really think it would be a great idea.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Events_(Melee)

Dantarion's wiki does the best at consolidating information like that, but it's outdated. We really should contribute new information to it.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Many many times I've considered making my own Melee character modding tutorials/guides for new people such as yourself, because it can be pretty daunting when you have no idea where to look for what you want to know. I'd love to make some posts/videos/documents about character modding basics, but I just don't have time. Perhaps some day. But if anybody else would be interested in doing this, I really think it would be a great idea.
I've been wanting to make guides/tutorials on the usage of crazy hand / general melee hacking for a while, as well. I tried making a video tutorial but I need to practice talking to a camera because I just sound awkward and it halts the progress of the tutorial.

I wrote up an explanation of how synchronous timers work, but I feel like it's a little convoluted.

EDIT: Well, the spoiler tag seems to ruin any tabbing done, so the script lists look a little wonky. Hopefully the color-coding will clear it up some.

What do Synchronous timers do?

Taken from Dantarion's wiki page:
"Pause the current flow of events until the set time is reached. Synchronous timers count down when they are reached in the code."

In laymans terms, putting a Synchronous timer script in a subaction will prevent all of the scripts below the timer from being called until X frames have passed.

Let's look at an example and break it down piece-by-piece. This is a slice of the scripts from Falcon Punch.

[Continuation control?] - We're still kinda figuring this one out. Don't worry about it.
[Hitbox 0] - Creates a hitbox this frame.
[Hitbox 1] - Creates a hitbox this frame.
[Hitbox 2] - Creates a hitbox this frame.
[Sound Effect 0EA94] - Plays a sound effect this frame. The sound ID points to the sound clip of Falcon yelling "PUNCH!"
[Sound Effect 0EAAF] - Plays a sound effect this frame. The sound ID points to the sound clip of a falcon's cry.
[Sound Effect 00074] - Plays a sound effect this frame. The sound ID points to a sound clip that sounds slightly wavery.
[Graphic Effect 03FF] - Creates a graphic effect this frame. The graphic effect looks like a wedge of smoke on the ground; the same effect used in dash startup subactions.
[Rumble] - Makes the controller rumble this frame.
[Synchronous Timer (5 frames)] - Waits X(5) frames before allowing the scripts below it to run.
[Terminate Collisions] - Clears all hitboxes this subaction has spawned.

So, on the first frame(0), all the scripts above the synchronous timer, as well as the synchronous timer, will be called.

Current Frame: 0

Events called this frame
{
Continuation control?]
[Hitbox 0]
[Hitbox 1]
[Hitbox 2]
[Sound Effect 0EA94]
[Sound Effect 0EAAF]
[Sound Effect 00074]
[Graphic Effect 03FF]
[Rumble]
[Synchronous Timer (5 frames)]
- Frames elapsed: 0
}

Events waiting
{
[Terminate Collisions]
}

Now, all of the scripts called this frame have finished their job. The hitboxes have been spawned, the sound effects have been played, the timer has been set. We won't have to worry about them anymore.

This next explanation isn't exactly how things are done in the code, but I like to imagine that the synchronous timer keeps track of how many frames have passed since it's been called as a reference for when it should be cleared. This is what I'm referring to with 'Frames elapsed'. Until Frames elapsed reaches 5, Frames elapsed will increase by 1 each frame, and none of the scripts below the timer will be called.

Current Frame: 1

Events called this frame
{
[Synchronous Timer (5 frames)] - Frames elapsed: 1
}

Events waiting
{
[Terminate Collisions]
}

Let's skip ahead to where something actually happens, 5 frames after the synchronous timer was called.

Current Frame: 5

Events called this frame
{
[Synchronous Timer (5 frames)] - Frames elapsed: 5
[Terminate Collisions]

}

Because 5 frames have passed since we called the synchronous timer, it will now let the scripts below it be called.
Terminate Collisions will remove the hitboxes spawned 5 frames earlier, as well as any others that may have been spawned in this subaction before.

Now that the synchronous timer has finished its job, it won't be tracked anymore.

It's still kind of a rough explanation, but if this helps anyone understand I'll be satisfied with it :)

Last edited:

Guesmu

Smash Apprentice
Tater!

I need helps...

I am on Mac and I have the melee iso and crazyhand v1.30.

What do I do? I can't open crazyhand jar...

Guesmu

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking that!

Docterkirby? Can you give me a guide to download CrazyHand on a Mac?

I will be back later...

Can someone post a Mac guide for downloading this? Thanks! See ya!

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I'm trying to recreate the spawn subaction code Ampers used here.

A new build of Crazy hand is ready!
Here's the download: Crazy Hand v1.31

This is a fairly small release but I hope you guys like it. There are some new additions made by Tater,myself, and also Tatatat0. Here's what's new:
--Move Logic Editor - There's now a new window you can access via the drop-down menu that will allow you to edit a character's move logic. (credits to Tater)
--Spawn Projectile event support - There's now support for Achilles' custom event that allows you to spawn projectiles. Please note: this requires an asm code inject! More details towards the end of the post. (credits to Ampers and Achilles)
--PlCo value editor - Currently this feature is a bit light, but you can now edit a few common values found in the PlCo.dat file. The values currently editable all pertain to hitstun. (credits to Tater)
-New Special move attributes - There are now a few new special move attributes added for falcon/ganon, pichu, and nana/popo. (credits to Tatatat0)

Addtionally, I have included the necessary codes needed to use Achilles' Projectile Spawning event and also his Self Heal/Damage event. I included them as a library file for DRGN's Melee Code Manager to make it easy. If you're not familiar with the program, here's how you would apply these mods:
1) Get the code manager program here.
2) In this release of Crazy Hand, there's a folder called "codes". In this folder you should find a single text document. Take that file and put it in the "Mods Library" folder of the Melee Code Manager.
3) Boot up Melee Code Manager and select your iso.
4) Browse to the "Injection Mods" tab and scroll down until you find the codes for these events. (You may need to press the rescan for mods button if you don't see them)
5) Select whichever code you want to use and press the save button.
6) The custom events should work now! Add them into any subaction in Crazy Hand and have fun.

That's all for now. Hope you guys like it! The next update of CH should hopefully allow you to edit hitboxes for these projectiles you can now spawn:

I wanted to include this with v1.31 but I ran into issues and I don't have the time to look into it any time soon. So I thought I'd release what we have already so people can start using the other new features.
I've zeroed out the action in HxD and was able to successfully create an action where falcon's nair gave him a homerun bat. I'm now trying to recreate what Ampers did and here's what I have.

Falcon performs the nair animation but nothing happens when he does so. Is there some other command I'm not using that is causing this to fail? I assumed it needed an Asynchronous and Synchronous timer to initiate the action but it doesn't seem that way.

AngryNerds100

Smash Rookie
NNID
AngryNerds100
I need help. After modifying the game, every time I grab someone, several errors occur, then the game continues like normal. It effects every character, not just the ones I modify.

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I need help. After modifying the game, every time I grab someone, several errors occur, then the game continues like normal. It effects every character, not just the ones I modify.
Hmm, that's odd... I'll see if I can reproduce what happened. Can you tell me:

-What version of Crazy Hand are you using? (The version will be in the window's title after the name of the ISO you're editing)

-Are you using an unmodified, version 1.02 melee ISO? (If you aren't sure which version your ISO is, right-click the banner in dolphin and select Properties->Info and look for the number under "Revision".)

-Are you running the game via Dolphin? If so, what build of Dolphin is it and do you have any AR / Gecko codes enabled for melee?

-Are you running the game via Wii? If so, what are you using to run your ISO? (DiosMio, USBLoaderGX, Nintendont, etc)

-What can you remember editing? (Which characters, what moves, did you use the FSM engine at all, did you change anything in move logic)

-Do you get these errors with an unmodified ISO? (I'd assume not, but you never know)

My guess is your ISO isn't the right version since I've never heard of this happening before.

Last edited:

HadoukenSpammer99

Smash Rookie
NNID
somdo123
3DS FC
4871-3435-2401
I downloaded Crazyhand v1.30.zip, and downloaded Java Runtime too. If I try to open it using Java Runtime, it doesn't do anything. If I extract it with WinRar, then it turns into a .jar file, and I can open it, but if I select my iso, nothing happens. If you guys could help, it'd mean alot.

WindShineZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAmZ97
Hey! Hope someone can reply but whenever I try to edit run speed/acceleration, it randomly crashes during the match. Can anyone help?

Top Bottom