• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crawl in Brawl: Official Discussion here!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Everybody remember why they refer to Samus as SPamus in SSBM?
Obviously you've never heard of me. Quite ironic.

Also, I think that being shielded would make this a better technique, because the shield would probably move down so that it'd still be lower than most projectiles. As for SHL, Falco can shoot them low enough to hit a crouched kirby, so crawling wouldn't help you there.

And so while shielding would make you a little taller while crawling, it explains Pika crossing the racetrack better than non-shielded crawling.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
The idea of it being used to get around projectiles was also the first thing I thought of. Its plausible, but I'm not convinced thats the main reason it was thought up. I expect more uses for it will be thought up.

I gotta disagree with you, though, Aftermath. I think the scenes in which characters were crawling were simply demonstrations of the technique, and not any indication of situations in which they'd want too. Pika crawled there to show (a) crawling and (b) the new map. I wouldn't read any what deeper into it. If you remember the Melee trailers, there were similar demonstrations.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I think when crawling you can do a different attack, like the dashattack but lower. Also i expect some mindgames can be performed by crawling. Maybe it's of more use in single player levels, like hit the targets or some events, than it is in multiplayer.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I haven't really studied the trailers or anythign so I'm going off a vague idea but I would think crawling would be used to mix up combat. Think about it, let's say, Snake vs Link. Snake and Link are rather close together and Snake knows that Link is about to pull off a basic A A Grab sequence, so what does he do? He can either go prone for the first A and then possibly do a prone attack or he could shield the first A, go prone on the second A and then attack from there, or since he knows that the Link will A Grab if he shields the first A he can shield the first A, go prone (avoiding the grab) and then come up with an attack.

In my opinion, crawling/being prone will be another way to mix up combat. Though I wonder if like in Soul Caliber 2 and such if they'll either have rising attacks (meaning you go prone, and as you rise to standing position you execute a special move) or if they will have an assortment of prone-position attacks.

Another reason why I think crawling/prone is going to be used to mix up combat is to add another level of complexity to combat. Back to my Snake vs Link, let's say Link learns that Snake will always do Shield A, prone to miss grab, rising attack so now Link realizes a way to counter it. Link waits for Snake to come close and expect an A A Grab sequence, and right after Link does his first A (so Snake shields) he SH's and d-air's right onto now prone Snake's back.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Snake in the box...might be an item? I thought it would be his sheild, but with crawling revealed, I think the box might be used elsewhere.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just exended dodging, or maybe it's SNake and Wario's Dash. Stranger things have happened. (I'm not saying it is, I'm just tryin to keep your mind open)
It's not Wario's dash. He has Mr. Game and Watch style running. I THOUGHT IT LOOKED LAME.

Then on the 5th time watching it through, it looked better.

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Yes that box thing I would say is a item. Yet you never know Snake looks like a pretty sneeky character. Now with the crawling added you never know what they did. I dunno I am really confused about the box thing.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Wario looks awesome. His attacks look like my style. Yeah crawling could be for stage purposes. maybe its just a way to approach campers :p

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
This topic is stupid, because nobody could possibly know how anything could be useful until they've played the game.

Freedawk

Smash Cadet
This topic is stupid, because nobody could possibly know how anything could be useful until they've played the game.
Then don't post here and suggest that this topic is useless to a mod.

There could be a weapon that is in MGS, like machine guns or camoflauge.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Heh. Wouldn't it be weird if Snake and Wario just happened to have moves that both looked like crawling? And this isn't a new mechanic, but Snake's VB and Wario prepping for the Wario Waft?

Pikaluk

Smash Cadet
IMO I think its just going to be Snake that can use it. not everyone. But it might be effective when items are on and people have that one gun that you can mash a with and it shoots over and over. you can crawl under them and get close to them?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
maybe you use the Wiimote itself to crawl, ie, shield, point Wiimote left or right to crawl.

i.eatnoobs

Smash Rookie
i agree with most of the people in this tread that crawling can, most effectively, be used as getting close to a missle spamming samus, or something of the sort or a more effective crouch cancel. But, i disagree that 'crawling' can really cancel 'wavedashing'. Just like Takalth said, You can't airdodge on the ground, but, crawling does take away the 'regular' wavedashing tactic. but, doing a 'perfect' wavedash wouldn't be effected by 'crawling'.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, I don't think that Wario's dash is like GAW. I rather think this is also a new technique, an expension on side stepping perhaps? Perhaps it's done by first sidestepping, holding R and then move. For crawling you would have to tilt the controll stick more downwards..

But I don't think it would be like that, mainly because we saw Snake's crawl after a roll. But perhaps that something only Snake can do?

Also... Pikachu's Crawl > All.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
i like this crawl. Just think of all the things that could come from this. Its a new stance. You could have completely diffent smash attacks and tilts with the crawl feature. And even if don't U still have this new ability to sprawl. Just think. some one is goin for a grab or somethin. and u dive on the ground. Then grab him. takin him to the ground. It could lead to a whole new grapple system. One in where u can actuallly Fight back. Some charcters would be alot stronger in this area then light or weaker characters.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I really don't like the crawling idea. Anyone else hate it? oh well, i guess i have no choice but to get used to it. maybe i'll like t when i actually get to use it

kithkin

Smash Champion
i hate it aswell, i only hope they dont make it too easy to do, cause accidental crawling will suck, i really dont feel it usable.

oh and diddy kong what are you talking about, kirby's duck can dodge more than half the moves in the game now, even ganon's wizards foot, do you honestly think anything can beat that if it can move?

Chepe

Smash Lord
Just how will it be controlled though? Thats what I really want to know. Because common sense would say that its holding down then pressing slightly left or right, but something tells me they wont work it that way (I think it would be hard that way too). Snake's roll into crawl maneuver also says its something else...

Im starting to think perhaps there is a button you can press while ducking to get into crawl position, and then you can move back and forth. Pressing up make you stand... What are you all thinking it will be?

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
Maybe not all the characters will have it ZOMFG seeing as we only saw a few characters crawling. Plus can u seriously imagine kirby or metaknight crawlin? 0_o anyhoo it might not even be in the final version so quit yer complainin'!

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Maybe it makes you immune to any attacks that don't touch the ground? Or new attacks?
Or grabs? Or counters? Or we will have to wait and see?

Promethus

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not all the characters will have it ZOMFG seeing as we only saw a few characters crawling. Plus can u seriously imagine kirby or metaknight crawlin? 0_o anyhoo it might not even be in the final version so quit yer complainin'!
I don't think Crawling will be implanted in everyone.
However I can Defineitly see Samus using her Morph Ball form when Crawling as well as Bowser.

Top Bottom