• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU Level 9 Cheating?

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been discussed or not but as we all know (generally speaking) the AI in Brawl has improved a lot since Melee. I started off at the beginning of the week fighting level 6's (to get used to the engine) and now I am fighting all level 9's... now level 9's can be pretty tough and annoying but they are not unbeatable, however my question is, does a level 9 CPU cheat? As far as I understand fighting games, and basically any other type of game, the AI sees a command script... not what we humans see on the screen so as you can imagine the AI can see you performing a command before the character's animation actually begins which is fine because it makes it challenging... but somethings up. If you play a level 8 and then a level 9... there is an enormous difference and I am not talking about insane dodging and counters but it seems as if some of what a level 9 CPU is doing is actually bending the rules. Many times I will be hit with the same exact attacks throughout a match and the damage/knock back doesn't deteriorate whatsoever. Also, and I have tested this, it seems as if the CPU protects itself from instakills especially when they are lingering at the top of the screen for way too long. If you take say a level 9 Link, and you do a fully charged up smash on Pit with 60-80% he will usually die instantly. Now if you reverse the roles somehow Pit will survive. WTF? Has anyone else experienced this or am I just crazy?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I haven't noticed this, no, but then again I've only played against 2-3 level 9 computers... somehow I doubt the computer would break the rules though. They're probably just using DI extremely efficiently.

D

Deleted member

.....cheat? seriously?

lvl 9's rnt even the hardest cpu to fight, lvl 8's r still harder because they dont just tap and grab you

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
I **** all the level 9's. I may not have noticed it because Ike's KO% varies so much with each person anyway, but they die the same as I do. They fail aether recoveries, same as I do. they almost NEVER use quick draw to recover same as I do. they shield my attacks right as I press the buttons, same as-wait I r not psychic...

the level 9's have improved and there are two level gaps where the enemies get much harder the first was either 5-6 or 6-7, and the second is 8-9...

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
it's not out of the question

Rare's DARKSIMS in the Perfect Dark series cheat
so there's a precendent

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
lol wow idk what ur talking about i havent had any prob with lv 9 i can even beat 2 against me???

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
The computers don't cheat. It's just the advantage of facing something artificial. They'll tech and shield and air dodge perfectly, and naturally since no player (yes, none whatsoever) is perfect, they'll be noticeably more challenging than in Melee.

But they're still able to be manipulated. They seem to shiver at being gimped off the stage. That's how I get most of my kills. Plus they roll like crazy, so down smashes are a necessity.

Maplestory

Smash Cadet
Level 8 > 9. Maybe the game relays your information to the CPU as soon as you press the bottons and it responds perfectly, and reacts perfectly as well. However, nope. I win level 9's 8/10 times.

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't really fight the CPUs anymore so I haven't noticed yet but thats pretty funny to imagine. I've always wondered if they could bend rules like that, and not just in Brawl either. In a lot of other games with computer controlled units. I actually need to start fighting CPUs again though. They can actually give you ideas if you're new to a character.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I practice 1v1 against lvl 9s with no items on Final Destination so all the CPU has to focus on is knocking me off the stage. Obviously the AI is easier to beat when there are other factors involved. I've been intent on mastering Sonic even though I am better with some of the other characters and going against a lvl 9 with those settings can be very challenging depending on the opponent. I can dance around characters like Marth and Ike beating them without losing a single stock but characters like Pit and Wolf are a real challenge. Since Sonic has no instakill moves and you have to persue all of your kills (which I am good at against non lvl 9s and human players) should I practice against lvl 8's instead since they seem to act more like human players?

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
I practice 1v1 against lvl 9s with no items on Final Destination so all the CPU has to focus on is knocking me off the stage. Obviously the AI is easier to beat when there are other factors involved. I've been intent on mastering Sonic even though I am better with some of the other characters and going against a lvl 9 with those settings can be very challenging depending on the opponent. I can dance around characters like Marth and Ike beating them without losing a single stock but characters like Pit and Wolf are a real challenge. Since Sonic has no instakill moves and you have to persue all of your kills (which I am good at against non lvl 9s and human players) should I practice against lvl 8's instead since they seem to act more like human players?
it's up to you, I train on the n00bs online. ;)

What's it like to play a character with 0 kill potential?

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
it's up to you, I train on the n00bs online. ;)

What's it like to play a character with 0 kill potential?
Playing strangers online has been a nightmare! It lags like crazy, it takes too long to get a match started, people drop out too often and you can't change it to stock. "Playing Anyone" is an epic fail in my book. Good thing I live in a dorm :bee: . As for playing a character with a character with a 0 kill potential its really fun. I can still mop the floor with all my friends and CPUs with Sonic and you actually have to work for your kills, risking your life in the process. Its awesome! I love a challenge. When you pull off a midair combo to finish off an enemy with Sonic its a beautiful sight. Sonic also seems to be a character who's tech can be easily manipulated to make him better. I have been practicing different techniques like stutter-step fsmash, the dash back grab and learning how to autokill someone once they are off the ledge by homing jumping them to their death. I have faith that Sonic has hidden potential... especially with someone with good dodge and counter reflexes.

Xenocide2400

Smash Rookie
Lvl 9 cpus do cheat. I play without items and i did a 99 stock match against a lvl 9 king dedede ( i was him too). Every 10-15 kills(or mins, really didnt pay attention cuz i was whooping that monkey ***) he automatically get his final smash on respawn and use it.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Actually I have seen my friends spawn with Final Smashes also. This has only happened in team matches so far if there is only one team member left. If they are getting trashed and the team's last guy has at least four to six (at a guess) stock less than the combined stock of the other team they might spawn with a final smash. Its happened three times and those were the only circumstances I was aware of. Can anyone shed any light on that?

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Actually I have seen my friends spawn with Final Smashes also. This has only happened in team matches so far if there is only one team member left. If they are getting trashed and the team's last guy has at least four to six (at a guess) stock less than the combined stock of the other team they might spawn with a final smash. Its happened three times and those were the only circumstances I was aware of. Can anyone shed any light on that?
isn't that the phenomenon of the game just GIVING a pity final smash to a party that's losing pretty badly?

It's sad

can you knock it out of them?

lvl 9 comps are a little annoying; their really "perfect shielding" isn't cool

although I can see that they can be very predictable. I played again a fox lvl 9 and all he did to approach me was fair. It was weird. I'd say lvl8 are a bit more human, but you might as well find actual humans.

Top Bottom