• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Countering Olimar's Counters

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Saw a thread like this on the Link boards...

What characters should Olimar mains pick up in order to counter "anti-olimar" characters?

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
i think that mr game and watch is good agains anti olimars chara, but that depends to the antiolimar that is beating you.

asob4

Smash Champion
funny, i picked up g dubs just to be my anti olimar person
marth is still a pain though =/

Rocann

Smash Lord
characters I have the most trouble with:

Meta
Marth
LUIGI
KIRBY

what do they all have in common? they come at you from low in the air so you are on the ground, but you can't grab them or really do anything because they outprioritize you. who you choose to pick up is on you

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Olimar counters: MK, Wolf, and Marth, who can be tough. Am I missing anyone?

Olimar can get the best of all of them though.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
MK & Marth isnt hard for olimar to beat at all imo u can out range both of them plus both chatacters are EXTREMLY agressive and have to get really close to attack which means u can sheild grab the mess ouf those 2 characters:)

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
I personally have huge problems with ROB, his dsmash is such a pain...although i find that jabbing like crazy sometimes works

asob4

Smash Champion
Olimar counters: MK, Wolf, and Marth, who can be tough. Am I missing anyone?

Olimar can get the best of all of them though.
ROB, IC's and kirby
and luigi can be too but i would call it neutral
jigglypuff is rather difficult if you're playing an experienced jiggs player. wario is a pain but overcomeable. snake is easy haha

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
if u have good timing on ur grabs it isnt that hard to grab them and i play people on Gamebattles and gamefaqs and smashbrosrankings

the only characters i have trouble with is snakes and G&W and MK a little bit but i manage to win most of the time

asob4

Smash Champion
u must not have good timing on ur grab then and i play people on Gamebattles and gamefaqs and smashbrosrankings

the only characters i have trouble with is snakes and G&W
go play danimals or bardull and tell me you don't have trouble with marth
go play sidefx or edge and tell me you don't have trouble with MK
snake is easy and g dubs is beatable

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
go play danimals or bardull and tell me you don't have trouble with marth
go play sidefx or edge and tell me you don't have trouble with MK
snake is easy and g dubs is beatable
i played bardul b4 loads of times and we came out extremly close but he beats me more

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
marth and GaW are even with Olimar. Olimar's counters include Kirby(outprioritize), MK(outprioritize + fast), Wolf(outprioritize), Rob(gimping master, + some sick aerials that good versus Olimar), Sheik(IMO, b/c of outprioritizing Olimar, but not yet on the chart), and yoshi.(outprioritize)

So basically, you need a character that's good against his weaknesses. I play with Pit b/c he goes even or has the advantage over kirby, sheik, yoshi, wolf(IMO), and Rob(IMO). MK is the only character I have problems with overall with this fearsome ranged duo, but who doesn't?

asob4

Smash Champion
marth and GaW are even with Olimar. Olimar's counters include Kirby(outprioritize), MK(outprioritize + fast), Wolf(outprioritize), Rob(gimping master, + some sick aerials that good versus Olimar), Sheik(IMO, b/c of outprioritizing Olimar, but not yet on the chart), and yoshi.(outprioritize)

So basically, you need a character that's good against his weaknesses. I play with Pit b/c he goes even or has the advantage over kirby, sheik, yoshi, wolf(IMO), and Rob(IMO). MK is the only character I have problems with overall with this fearsome ranged duo, but who doesn't?
i believe g dubs covers the characters you have trouble with
cause g dubs is almost as win as olimar
g dubs is even with MK and pretty much dominates those other people.
marth is too much for me though =( i need more practice against him -calls BoA-

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Yoshi is a big counter for Olimar.

I like using Mr. Game & Watch against characters that just have a lot of priority over Olimar. It's still possible to win with Olimar, but some characters require MUCH, MUCH more effort to win against than others - even to the point where it's not very fun anymore, and Olimar players have to resort to using cheap methods. I like switching to Mr. Game & Watch when I encounter these situations. His smashes are super powerful. He has many multi-hit attacks. He's perfect against energy spammers like Wolf and Pit, due to Oil Panic. Sometimes, when I play against Wolf users, they are accustomed to using their laser constantly. So, I just switch to Mr. Game & Watch. This forces them to break that habit of spamming lasers - otherwise, if they don't, I just catch all of them and blast them away with Oil Panic. :)

asob4

Smash Champion
Yoshi is a big counter for Olimar.

I like using Mr. Game & Watch against characters that just have a lot of priority over Olimar. It's still possible to win with Olimar, but some characters require MUCH, MUCH more effort to win against than others - even to the point where it's not very fun anymore, and Olimar players have to resort to using cheap methods. I like switching to Mr. Game & Watch when I encounter these situations. His smashes are super powerful. He has many multi-hit attacks. He's perfect against energy spammers like Wolf and Pit, due to Oil Panic. Sometimes, when I play against Wolf users, they are accustomed to using their laser constantly. So, I just switch to Mr. Game & Watch. This forces them to break that habit of spamming lasers - otherwise, if they don't, I just catch all of them and blast them away with Oil Panic. :)

how do you fare against marth's?
he's always been my bane since melee

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I tend to use Wolf if i have to go agaisnt a counter. I usually play Olimar first to see where the counter is, but then i pick up Wolf.

Wolf is great against Kirby,Sheik, Yoshi, and usually Robot. The Wolf matchup it all depends who is better, and MK is like just around the same difficulty to Wolf as it is to Crunch.

Against MK, and Wolf, I sometimes use Lucas but that's only on rare ocassions.

RoboticSithDrone

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is far from being an Olimar counter. After countless games against Ankoku (Olimar vid thread), Olimar has way too much going for him. SH'd fairs are great for spacing, and too many of Sheik's attacks are susceptible to being out-prioritied by smashes or else being shield grabbed.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wholeheartedly disagree that shiek isn't a counter. most of her moves cut through pikmin.

RoboticSithDrone

Smash Apprentice
Quote from Ankoku in the Sheik matchup thread:

It's not even at all. Sheik's able to play a strong edgeguarding game, but Olimar wins in both range and priority. Sheik is beaten by zoning in the air, out-camped, can be grabbed before reaching Olimar with ANYTHING on the ground, can't ftilt lock him, and is overall pretty much screwed if the Olimar knows how to abuse the fact that Sheik has no real approach game in the matchup.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
I secondary TL. He perfectly counters my Olimar's counter, has a very good projectile game and has aerials of hax. He's quite different than Olimar, because of his roxxing aerials, so my style is a bit different when I play him. Besides... I CAN EDGEGUARD. Love it.

E: My worst counters are Wolf, Kirby and IC's.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The Sheik matchup is similar to Sonic, really. Only far less dangerous. Sheik has the speed advantage and needles, and that's about it.

Top Bottom