• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter Strike 1.6 -> Counter Strike Source

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm the only one thinking about this, but everyone knows about the big split in between the counter strike community between 1.6 and source. How the 1.6 says source is all graphics and no gameplay, and the source kids just like the game better and bla bla bla.

Could this happen to the smash community? It's very possible.

It's happened to many other fighting games and could very well happen to ours. Some people will love brawl for its flashy graphics, and maybe the new things that are put in, (or maybe the no wavedashing or no shffling, if it happens). Then there will be the die hards who say melee is still the best.

Or maybe not, maybe everyone will switch to brawl and everything will be perfect.

Commence intelligent discussion.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I was about to tell you to go find a counterstrike forum, but I guess you're trying to relate to a split in the Smash community. It could happen, there are some people around here who say they won't play brawl if wavedashing isn't in it, or other such techs.... These people will probably stick with melee if that is the case. But I think brawl will be so great that this won't happen and everyone will end up playing it regardless.

WR3K

Smash Ace
maybe.... hopefully brawl is perfect though

however, it will be unavoidable that (with every game like this) there will be ppl who bad talk and reject brawl immediatly because it was not what they wanted or too different from melee

J4ke

Smash Cadet
As good as melee is, and was, its outdated. I beleive brawl will replace it in most ways after a good chunk of the world has a copy for a while.

SnareRush

Big Loada
Melee has been popular for so long now that I think a lot of people are really attached to it, so they are likely to carry on playing Melee, even if they do buy Brawl just for fun.
However, I expect Brawl will have just as much potential for tournament play, even if things get changed, and will probably become the game played my the majority.
Melee will be here for a bit though. In a few years or so, I think it will be in a better position than SSB64 is now.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
In a few years or so said:
I agree with that. I thought smash 64 was the most fun game ever and then when melee came around i didn't play the originall for like five years. Brawl could very well have that same effect and be so awesome that most just ignore melee and bask in the pleasure that is Brawl.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
^^^^
I am the exact opposite. I loved ssb64 and then when i played melee i felt the game kind of felt incomplete and rushed. So in the end I went back to playin 64. And thanks to online 64 with kaillera, i can play a wider range of people than I ever could with melee.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
It may very well happen to Brawl if the game is either brokenly unbalanced (although that blights melee, too), or if it doesn't leave any room for pure player skill to decide a 1v1 no items victory.

As necessary, lol @ bull**** headshots in Source.

Conker1

Smash Ace
THING IS Source is just an upgrade in graphics and physics. I prefer source for many reasons after playing 1.6 for years, Physics, wallshots, ragdolls, my computer runs it on high, etc.

Brawl, however, is a whole new game.

Banned via Administration
1.6 people just cant afford a new comp.

also, every thing they cite as to why 1.6 is better is just a huge false and a huge john.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Could a split happen? It's possible. However, I think there would be a lot of cross-over between the supposedly 'split' groups. Look at Street Fighter, which was mentioned earlier. There is a sizable group that feels that Super SF2 Turbo is the best one, the true representative of fighting games. But at tournaments, many Super Turbo players will also play Capcom vs. SNK 2, or Marvel vs. Capcom 2, or so on and so forth; there is a lot of cross-over, even though ST and CvS2 play very differently.

To what degree we'll see splitting and/or cross-over depends on how different Brawl is in actual play. What if Wavedashing is gone? That single change would cause a major shift in how high-level Smash is played, which could validate keeping Melee around as a tournament game. I personally have no attachment to Wavedashing, so I wouldn't mind seeing it go. In such a case, I would be part of a split; I'd only play Brawl (presuming it holds up well in high level play).

But I imagine others would enjoy the contrast between the two games, just as SF fans enjoy the contrast between Super Turbo and CvS2. Someone might play both, holding up Melee as an excellent example of how the Smash formula matured, how it's "the classic Smash, done right." They might also enjoy the genuinely new gameplay offered by Brawl. Sort of 'giving props' to both new and old.

But if Brawl plays extremely similarly to Melee, including the same engine behavior (i.e. Brawl ends up having Wavedash/L-Cancel/etc.), then it's likely Brawl would just supplant the older game unless there is something extremely wrong with Brawl's balance. Something game-destroying, like Snake being so top-tier that nobody at all can hold a candle up to him, resulting in the game degenerating into Snake vs. Snake to the exclusion of all else. 'Snake' could be replaced by any other name, of course.

Really, I'd say it depends on the difference in engine behavior. If Brawl removes a lot of the semi-intended or outright unintended features that Melee offers, I suspect we'd see a split. If Brawl maintains these, it'll probably replace Melee as the main game. I'm sure some people would stick with Melee anyway, just as some stick with Smash on N64. But Brawl would probably be the mainstream choice.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if I'm the only one thinking about this, but everyone knows about the big split in between the counter strike community between 1.6 and source. How the 1.6 says source is all graphics and no gameplay, and the source kids just like the game better and bla bla bla.

Could this happen to the smash community? It's very possible.

It's happened to many other fighting games and could very well happen to ours. Some people will love brawl for its flashy graphics, and maybe the new things that are put in, (or maybe the no wavedashing or no shffling, if it happens). Then there will be the die hards who say melee is still the best.

Or maybe not, maybe everyone will switch to brawl and everything will be perfect.

Commence intelligent discussion.
that's exactly wat I was thinking when the website kept on emphsising on how the stage will change and stuff blah blah.

personaly I think it wont be too problematic, but it would be nice if they used their time better to work on characters, smooth game play and less tier differences rather than making cool backgrounds for battle, but I guess it is the Wii, so good graphics needs to come in order to meet up with the standards.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Pegasus_Knight has the best answer: It's all a matter of whether Brawl = Melee with more characters, better graphics, and tweaked balance or if Brawl is a different game entirely.

In the former case, there would be very few reasons to stick to melee ("I like the old fox look better"). In the latter, a lot of people would simply prefer melee's gameplay.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
1.6 >>>>>>>>>>>> source

by so far... sources gameplay sucks, even the reg is fuked up

I really hope Brawl is perfect, ihope Brawl includes ALL of the advanced techs in melee, and even better, i hope it ADDS to them, thatd be so awesome

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
There will be some sort of split at one moment, but I will play both anyways.
I do think 1.6 is better than source anyday.

Kashimaru please remove that exploding head from your sig. I think it would be traumatical to the kids that visit the forums. I said Please.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why people will be so bent out of shape just because of a lack of wavedashing. If they won't buy Brawl just because of that, they don't deserve online tournaments.

greenblob

Smash Lord
It's already like that except it's with SSB and SSBM.

I can't vote for melee as the best game ever, I played it yesterday and it was horrible.
~ [wiki]M3tr01D[/wiki]

:p We all know Metroid was joking, as he plays Melee, but yeah, go down to the Smash 64 boards and the general consensus is that Smash64 is better than Melee.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
1.6 >>>>>>>>>>>> source

by so far... sources gameplay sucks, even the reg is fuked up

I really hope Brawl is perfect, ihope Brawl includes ALL of the advanced techs in melee, and even better, i hope it ADDS to them, thatd be so awesome
That would be the best I think, I really like the smash community as it is, and new people are great, but losing people sucks.

There will be some sort of split at one moment, but I will play both anyways.
I do think 1.6 is better than source anyday.

Kashimaru please remove that exploding head from your sig. I think it would be traumatical to the kids that visit the forums. I said Please.
That sig made me go bleck... No smash discussion here xD

I don't understand why people will be so bent out of shape just because of a lack of wavedashing. If they won't buy Brawl just because of that, they don't deserve online tournaments.
People just like to complain, it makes them feel like they have a good excuse that they could move fluidly and beat all their friends in the old, but aren't instantly good in this game. People will try and get better, and slowly the complainers will leave or get good at the game, and then we will be in smashtopia

Source is better than 1.6 thx.
kk?

Conker1

Smash Ace
Source is better than 1.6. It's just an upgrade. People that whine about it either have a crappy computer or are the same people who whined about upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6.

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
this discussion isnt about cs source and cs 1.6 I tried to use it as an example to demonstrate the split between the community that may ensue.

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
even if I was neof the people who wouldn't play Brawl regularly if wavedashing or advanced techs wasn't i it (that's nubbish in my honest opinion) I would still buy it and try it.

Never judge a book (or a game, or a person) by its cover. never.

I

i8waffles612

ehhh i dunno...

by the way 1.6 is better then source, but i play both XD

condition zero....now.that SUCKS

Top Bottom