• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter Stages

King Kong

Smash Lord
The more I use DK in tournaments the more I wonder about using counter stages to help even up his more difficult matches. So in an attempt to get some discussion going i'll post up the stages I like to use to fight top/high tiered characters.

*DK 64 vs Falco (Good for chaingrabs and combos and the SH laser isnt as bad as it is on FD)

*FD vs Fox/Falcon (0%-death anyone?)

*Green Greens vs Peach and other floaties (They die off the top and sides easily, one of the few stages where Peach will actually die to the B-air, platforms are good for U-airs and Up-B's and you can mix up your playstyle by camping on this level)

One stage I am gonna be trying out a lot this year as a tournament counterpick is Onett.

Fox players like Onett since its very hard to get horizontal kills but easy to get vertical kills. So I was thinking of using it to counter Marth (since he dies off the top nicely), Sheik and possibly Peach. DK's kill power isnt really diminished on Onett since he can still use his cargo combos for kills and the U-air.

Anyone else got any counter stage advice? Im lost as to which stages to pick vs Gannon, IC's, Samus and the Mario's.

peace out

phish-it

Smash Champion
Actually I've been playing on onett a bit with DK, and it seems like it has potential, I'm not really sure why, it's just one of those things you realize once you actually play.

Battlefield is decent vs falco, the platforms are pretty well spaced for combos and the like.

I like Corneria vs. marth, being that its low ceiling can provide for early kills with cargo-up-throw u-air, and d-air to up-smash. plus marth isn't to great at killing off top.

IC's are a disgusting match-up but if your really taking the risk of bringing DK against them, Rainbow Cruise would seem to work well. DK has pretty good maneuverability there and the climbers have difficulty pulling off chain throws and keeping together on moving stages.

El HP

Smash Ace
Againts marth big stages like dreamland 64 makes DK a lot harder to kill and using DI you can stay for a long time and you have an easier time killing, you can use this against mario as well since he lacks KOing power it will be a nightmare for him. Floaties dont like low ceilings so choose this stages againts peach, jigglypuff, luigi and samus grab to U-airs do the job here and a down smash can be used as well.

When facing falco platforms are your best option like dreamland and yoshi story I think the same can be applied againts falcon on Final Destination his movility makes even harder to fight him as for ganon I recommend stages like FD or pokemon stadium where you can move freely and use this to your advantage.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Heh, i always forget about corneria vs Marth, you're right its a great stage for Marth.

I really dont like platforms vs Falco. I find his camping so much harder to get around on a platform stage. So DK 64 is perfect for me. He also cant camp too well on Poekstadium.

Its a shame Onett is banned now. All I can say is that im happy that I run the tournaments in my city lol so i'll just make it legal.

peace out

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% sure what all is legal now, so if I say something that is not legal just make fun of my ignorance.

But yeah, RC for IC definitely.

Another thing about Onett, and this can be somewhat hard to do there, and I think this works on Green Greens also, is cargo to run and throw them off the side where they explode. I like to jump when I do this also for that little extra bit of distance.

Ganon... I can't help you much there because I think every stage works well against him. I'd generally stick with a neutral though, probably FD. Ganon is just a slow Falcon to me. Same moves only not as combo heavy or quick.

Samus I'd take to DK64 like Falco. It helps to avoid missle spam and she can't use her grapple to recover.

Mario I'd pick Dreamland personally. Being big is nice, plus I just like the stage. Just pick a big one. A non-flat one could help to lessen his combos and help with cargo to u-airs as he floats.

I'm not a devious counter-picker though because what is good for DK in match-ups is usually pretty good for the other person too.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
It's illegal in our tourneys now KK so dont think you can change it :p Also pokestadium is a good stage for falco seeing as how there are only two platforms and you cant really hide from falco on them cause he'll just jump and n-air you or triple laser. and yeah, I worked out how to use marth on corneria weeeeeeeee.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, well just a suggestion not quite sure how well DK would do on this stage, but i take space animals to Brinstar. Ganon has his own tricks there but besides that the advantages being...

1. Rare gimp kills such as being shined off the stage or D-air from falco. You'll just hit the lava a few times and pop back up.

2. if they fall into the lava they're going to hate life racks up way to much damage from being so heavy and can sometimes lead to a follow up attack for that extra damage and/or kill

3. smaller stage - hard to camp here since the stage is so small your opponent would pretty much be in your face the majority of the match.

Props to DK mains i used to attempt to weild the Beast Council (bowser, DK, ganon) and just couldnt get DK ;_;

phish-it

Smash Champion
DK is terrible at Brinstar. In fact, it's actually a good counterstage against him. Dk is I believe the 4th fastest falling character in the game, which means the lava will wreck him almost as bad as it does to fox/falco/falcon. Not only that, but if you Use your up_B on the breakable cells in the middle of the stage, you'll tear right through them and fall right through, and if there is no lava, your done.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
DK is terrible at Brinstar. In fact, it's actually a good counterstage against him. Dk is I believe the 4th fastest falling character in the game, which means the lava will wreck him almost as bad as it does to fox/falco/falcon. Not only that, but if you Use your up_B on the breakable cells in the middle of the stage, you'll tear right through them and fall right through, and if there is no lava, your done.
Hmmm wow i wasnt aware his weight was that heavy, oh well i just was brain storming.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
For Ganondorf, I'd say FD. You can cargo throw up, then juggle with uairs, and fair or giant punch to finish.

King Kong

Smash Lord
For Ganondorf, I'd say FD. You can cargo throw up, then juggle with uairs, and fair or giant punch to finish.
Actually yeah, FD is a pretty good stage to vs gannon. He cant do any of his platform tricks, his approaches are a little limited and your combos are much better. I find that DK's range advantage stands out more on thsi stage.

peace out

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Roughly what stages are banned? I'm not all that sure on what stages are banned.

Blind samurai

Smash Rookie
Jungle japes for marth players and other people whos recover is largely verticle, they cant perfect edges and leaves them open alot of the time, its also easier for dk to perfect the edge here (for me at least) i cant count how many times my donkahy has gotten help from a croc on a silly marth trying to perfect the edge using the river. ^_^ this level is fun for me deadly to most its scary for most fast fallers as well this level is a good counter pick agaisnt most higher teir, but take sheik here and you ****ing gonna get needled into a swift river death. bewares nublets

have fun

Nigg

Smash Rookie
japes isnt banned for picks.... its just not a random stage...

maybe its just how we play in NC..

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
If thats the one with the 2 platforms each side and cranky in the house in the middle, then no its not a good counter stage. I basically 4 stocked King Kong on that stage before some interesting things happened. With marth btw.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
With Donkey Kong wouldn't you always want to pick a stage like rainbow cruise since most of the fast fallers you face can't combo you as well with all the moving... Plus wouldn't it eliminate the SHL from falco. Don't flame me i'm not to positive i don't really play RC at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Problem is, Rainbow Cruise isn't a counterpick stage. From what I know, there are only a few counter pick stages, as Donkey Kong 64 and Yoshi's Island. Not every stage can be picked...

Vs Ganondorf, Fountain of Dreams is a good choice since Ganon's Short Hop is hindered by the low platforms while DK's jumps are low enough to don't be hindered. Also when your into a Uair combo and have a feeling you won't hit Ganon with another SHFFLed Uair, just jump on a higher platform and preform the move from there.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh my bad then, I thought there where only limited counter stages so you couldn't just pick every stage you wanted. Guess I was wrong...

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
RC is a pretty good Fox/Falco stage because their manueverability is so great. They can easily jump from platform to platform continuing their combos. DK is too slow to keep up with them there. But you can do the cargo, run, throw them off the side, and recover instant death trick there. :D

Against Fox I don't see why you wouldn't pick FD or a similar stage (long flat bottom, high ceiling's a plus). For Falco I'd go Corneria or DK 64, probably DK 64 because it has wider edges and that only helps you to recover.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Nobody listen to whoever said anything about Jungle Japes being good. Jungle Japes is a TERRIBLE DK stage. It's walls are too close in for DK to really take advantage of his good vertical recovery, the river ***** DK because of his falling speed, the ceiling is the HIGHEST in the game, so his vertical KO game is out, and it's got more than enough space for people with projectiles to screw with him all day long. Jungle Japes would actually be a great counterpick stage against DK.

technomancer

Smash Champion
What, haha? Dk is good on Japes because he can effectively camp the center and score gay KOs with his Up-B and make easy recoveries with variety... The river ***** DK cuz of his fall speed?

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to add a minor tip for DK on Jungle Japes. Please excuse me if this is commonly known.

Let's say you're up-B recovering toward one of the far ledges and the edgeguarder is waiting. If they hit you right before your reach the ledge, but you're able to cancel it and start another up-B, go below the far platform and grab the ledge of the center platform.

I love Jungle Japes, but I think it depends on the combination of opponent's character and the opponent themselves, not just a simple counterpick.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
What, haha? Dk is good on Japes because he can effectively camp the center and score gay KOs with his Up-B and make easy recoveries with variety... The river ***** DK cuz of his fall speed?
I've never been able to do well with him on Japes. It seems like I always fall into the river with my lousy vertical recovery, or get killed at the side because I can't take advantage of my horizontal. And the faster you fall, the worse the river is. DK falls fast. For instance, if Kirby falls into the river, he'll get carried to another ledge if he uses his jumps well. DK won't make it to the next ledge, because he'll fall. I guess it could be a decent counterpick stage against Fox, who has all the problems DK seems to on the stage but a lot worse.

If somebody could explain how it is a good stage, it'd be cool. Like, how would you get the easy recoveries and camp in the center. Like, it sounds cool, but I've no idea how that would actually happen.

Little Greg

Smash Apprentice
imo japes CAN be good (not saying it is), dk could kill wit bair spam, bthrow, etc, or off top with cargo to uair, etc.

idk liek its a trade, he could get the same, and if he is in teh river he's dead, as his recovery is crap vertical lolz

gwyne

Smash Apprentice
This is a list from the MLG (major league gaming)

*Scenaries in red are prohibited

*Scenaries in green are for random for first matches, (unless the rules doesnt say so)

*Scenaries in yellow are for counterpicks

*Sorry for my english hope this have helped

technomancer

Smash Champion
FD is probably DK's best stage.
That would be fairly true if it weren't for it being the best stage for all of DK's worst enemies :/ (falco...too...gay)

On Japes, you basically get a few hits in then chill on the middle platform and throw out bairs whenever they try to chill with you, and if they projectile you alot you can approach with L-cancelled Bairs to up-B. DK can also stagespike really well there, and it's good because it forces floaties to approach from above and to the side due to the level dynamics, and DK is good with that.

Top Bottom