• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter Picking Corneria

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
As most of you know, the Lasers on Corneria heal 60% damage. That is a lot.

Here's my question: how good is Ness on Corneria?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I've messed around and tried to get this that to work, but i never could.

Here's the big thing.

How do you get hit by the laser and live? Jump on them? Cause even if you just stand on em, you have to make it past an edgeguard, lol. :/

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Get onto the laser cannons. Jump, down-b while you're in the air, let go of down but hold onto b. Once you land hold down on the control stick without hitting b.

In my experience, Ness does pretty good on this stage except versus peach. D-smash destroys cannons. I prefer jungle japes for spacies. And sheik, she really can't do anything against your camping... I think it's pretty good against Marth.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wow..you guys seriously dont know how to do this? You go down, go to the guns. Then you hold down LIGHTLY, meaning you crouch but you dont go through the guns. THen you just hold crouch until you get hit. Once you get hit, you'll bounce (you wont die) but now the gun is safe to land on. THne simply hold down b while on the guns. You'll absorb to FULL health. BTW You dont have to jump in the way of the gun fire...you just haev to be on the gun absorbing. Its really easy. Also, if your fighting a marth, and if he goes down to kill you, simply roll back, shield grab and forward throw. It will stage spike him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Even if a peach goes and destroys the canon, you could probably edgeguard her for a stock.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
No annoying...just No. Peach will get back to the stage. My best suggestion is just play a secondary vs Peach.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, she probably would. I didn't really think when I said that.... 8:33 AM.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Lol, i played at KDJ's tourny today. My first tourny.

Anyways, i went 0-2 =(.

In winners it was me vs cfalcon. Annoying cause the person next to me said banning stages wasn't legal, and then random was yoshi story (yeeps) and he beat me (even though i later found out banning was allowed...and i was going to ban ys). I counterpicked corneria and while this was much closer, i still lost.

Heres a suggestion ness vs Cfalcon on corneria. Honestly, it doesn't matter how low a percent you are, cause after you get past 70%, one knee is all it takes and you'll die. Against otherp eople you can usually DI, and then go to the guns...nope. Doesn't work on cfalcon.

In losers i played this luigi. Lost the first round, i dont remember why. I think it was stupid.
Second round i picked corneria again and FUNNIESt ****. I swear i healed on the guns 2-3 times. Anyways, beat him. And then in our round 3 i played shiek (wanted to mix it up) and by the end we both had one stock...but i accidentaly SD'd while hanging onto the edge. god ****nn!

I recorded some friendlies with my friends fox+falco. He pretty much whooped me but i beat him one game. Its good times.

Oh yeah. KDJ won the tourny, against Marcus in finals.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yeah that happens to you at your first tourney. Everyone I play now bans Corneria (even Peach players). *sigh*

Always ban YS, unless you fight puff. ban mute city (lag punishing rest are baaad).

The_NZA

Smash Lord
banning is usually only for the random pick sage...so they cant ban it.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You pick shiek = instantly losing any respect I have for you...

Where I live they do... I've never heard that they can't ban any stages...

The_NZA

Smash Lord
lol the sage. I know that shiek is cheap. But shes my secondary. I need someone who can deal with those pesky peaches and jigglies ;). I still main ness. But the problem is, its so easy to lose to people who are so much worse than you when your ness, especially if htey learn your style. Sometimes to break up the monotony you have to play someone whose a polar opposite (i.e. shiek).

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
OR BOOZER :)

Thats all i have to add to this besides how i'm deff gonna use the absorb laser things next time i play with friends haha

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Why do I keep on seeing Boozer players around here? First Gimpy, now KevinM....

So, STAYING ON TOPIC *cough cough*, when should I pick Corneria, and when not?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
annoying1359 said:
I don't know why but it seems like the Boozer players kinda like to pop in and make friendly jests in almost every single low-tier character there is.. except pikachu.... idk why about that either haha

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481

So, STAYING ON TOPIC *cough cough*, when should I pick Corneria, and when not?
No picky against Fox, Falco, and Peach. Green greens is better for Peach (and she ***** there too), kongo jungle/ jungle japes (I can't remember which is which...) is better for spacies, but you can hold your ground there too.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
There is no reason to pick any other map then corneria for counter pick. It is by far nesses best stage as he will get multiple stock advantages. If the guns aren't destroyed you can go heal there at any time you want to. You can even stay down there the entire match if you have a stock advantage. If any character goes to wreck the guns, you can let them kill it for a stock advantage. If your fighting peach or jiggly, you can just go fight them on the guns and usually win, especially if you get to the guns first.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
No, you don't want to fight against a peach there. Trust me... green greens is better (I guess dk's stage works too).

The_NZA

Smash Lord
yeah sage is right. Vs peach go green greens.

Corneria is amazing against marths. I personally suggest it even against spacies (especially falco). BUt yeah sagei s probably right about japes.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
I dont see what advantage peach gets on corneria that could overcome extra lives. On a side note, jungle japes is the level i hate the most, even more then flat zone :p

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Because N.OW, you dont get that advantage on corneria. She goes down there and press's down smash which blows ALL of the cannons. Thats where the problem lies. After their gone you have no advantage and your relatively at a disadvantage (imo) since Corneria works well for peach.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
The coolest thing about Ness and the guns is not only is it good for his absorbing but he has the uperhand when he fights on the guns. If you convince your foolish opponent to go after you when your on the guns, hes screwed cause hwen he approaches, just roll back, shield grab and forward throw. Regardles of his percent if hes Luigi, Marth or a variety of other characters he'll hit the top wall and be stage spiked (unless he techs which is rare).

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
Well if it was me, i wouldnt let peach hit the ground to downsmash :). In fact i would not let her land on guns without hitting her :)

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
1. Is this allowed? I mean it's actually such as Wallbombing with Peach or Infinite Walljumping including healing= Playing for time...?!

2. How should I react to someone, who call me lame for that?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
basically what the others said. You can also use the famous "At least your character HAS a down B"...unless of course they are using shiek. In which case you just go with sage's response.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
You have a problem against the Puff? I tend to **** puffs whenever I come up against em. Even ones who play a lot better than me. Well, as for Corneria, I've been counterpicking it lately just trying to get used to it. So other than the guns, Ness doesn't seem to have any advantage? Or is that simply that Peach has more?

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
Omfg I've counterpicked Corneria the day before yesterday in a german tournament.
I won that match but there is no video ):F

Top Bottom