• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter List

_Burner_

Smash Cadet
Will you stop giving your opinions when you don't know anything? This is going to turn out like the tier list discussion. Random people putting in there opinions that are really off and then screwing everyone up.

Another reason why we need an ssb64 backroom :(
You phail. You wouldn't train me *Hint*

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Playing someone else doesn't really prove anything. If that were true, Link > Pika because Isai's Link can beat my Pikachu.
That makes no sense to me. You can't say that Yoshi is disadvantaged in a bunch of matchups just because most people suck with or don't use him.

Just because you guys **** a bunch of Yoshi noobs on kaillera doesn't mean he's disadvantaged against Falcon.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
That makes no sense to me. You can't say that Yoshi is disadvantaged in a bunch of matchups just because most people suck with or don't use him.

Just because you guys **** a bunch of Yoshi noobs on kaillera doesn't mean he's disadvantaged against Falcon.
That's not what I was referring to. I do agree with you on that part but what you said about challenging people to a falcon vs yoshi match wouldn't help anything.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
for my experience for yoshi specifically
yoshi's combos are really good...but only mostly vs the fast fallers or heavies, yoshi does bad vs grabs and most projecitles (as in fox's lasers/throws, and falcon's throws)
1. Pikachu: pikachu counters yoshi (60 40), yoshi doesn't have as many combos vs any of the lighter characters, pikachu has a recovery that is difficult to gimp, plus....pika's back throw
2. Kirby: Kirby definitley (80-20), I say yoshi's worst matchup, same deal as pika...but even less combos and difficult to counter any of kirby's combos, yoshi has problems countering any muti hit down aerial
3. Ness: (45-55) Even or slightly in yoshi's favor, the problems are from ness's djc's and throws, but yoshi has many combos and can easily gimp ness's recovery...also, yoshi can get out of many combos through djc'ing
4. Fox: Fox (70-30) due to lasers and throws...its very difficult to get out of fox's combos, lasers make approaching hard, and tap a combos by fox are incredibly comboable, yoshi has djc combos including up air/up tilt and n-air
5. Captain Falcon: Falcon (barely...like 55-45) due to throw combos, yoshi has a problem djc'ing against many of falcon's combos....but yoshi has many up tilt and up air combos, falcon can 0 to death, but yoshi can also)
6. Jigglypuff: Another bad matchup, 70-30....yoshi has very small amount of combos....can't gimp ko through up tilt.....Rests and up throw combos can kill yoshi easily
7. Mario: even, problem being throws and fireballs...but yoshi can combo well vs mario,
8. Yoshi: uhhh wut
9. Donkey Kong: problem is throws...but dk is a lot slower than falcon, yoshi has 0 to deaths, dk has mindgames...take you pick, i say yoshi 60-40
10. Luigi: Luigi has combos, yoshi has some even though luigi is incredibly floaty, but up b really kills yoshi and yoshi doesn't have that many gimping moves, 60-40 luigi
11. Samus: Yoshi 60-40, yoshi has combos vs samus, samus has mindgames, samus has a bad laggy throw so that doesn't help her
12. Link: Yoshi (55-45) link's projectiles really hamper yoshi, Yoshi has a huge amount of combos...link is easily gimped

SheerMadness

Smash Master
That's not what I was referring to. I do agree with you on that part but what you said about challenging people to a falcon vs yoshi match wouldn't help anything.
Sure it would. It would change opinions.

The ONLY char I ever feel disadvantaged against with Yoshi is against Pikachu. Even that prolly isn't a true counter.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
It did change my opinion >.>

made some edits the chart. I might have overcorrected yoshi's matchups, but sheer insists that basically everything is even except for pika, so I'll put it as that until someone else says otherwise.

should I make a thread for this? or is this one fine

(chart edited again)

Winston

Smash Master
in this chart Fox is overrated and DK underrated.
Haha, interesting that you comment about the first two rows only.

DK's matchups didn't look right to me as I thought he was a decent character, but in thinking about it, I really can't figure out what actual favorable matchups he has.

Fox does **** floaty characters pretty hard and goes even with Pikachu, Falcon, Kirby I'm pretty sure. So tell me how he's overrated.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Haha, interesting that you comment about the first two rows only.

DK's matchups didn't look right to me as I thought he was a decent character, but in thinking about it, I really can't figure out what actual favorable matchups he has.

Fox does **** floaty characters pretty hard and goes even with Pikachu, Falcon, Kirby I'm pretty sure. So tell me how he's overrated.

DK's favorables: (imo) Yoshi and Link

And about Fox I dont think he's even with those you said. Hes worse. And Hes worse against Ness also I think.

Or I'm probably wrong and Fox is top tier just right after pikachu according to this chart.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Playing someone else doesn't really prove anything. If that were true, Link > Pika because Isai's Link can beat my Pikachu.
But aren't tiers based on the highest level of play? If the best Yoshi can beat the best Falcon, Yoshi>Falcon.
Not sure about ShirMadness' level though, but I know he's up there.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
this thread has gone to hell because there are people with bias tryign to get there opinions in...this thread should be closed and redone on msn....
n o

for my experience for yoshi specifically
yoshi's combos are really good...but only mostly vs the fast fallers or heavies, yoshi does bad vs grabs and most projecitles (as in fox's lasers/throws, and falcon's throws)
1. Pikachu: pikachu counters yoshi (60 40), yoshi doesn't have as many combos vs any of the lighter characters, pikachu has a recovery that is difficult to gimp, plus....pika's back throw
2. Kirby: Kirby definitley (80-20), I say yoshi's worst matchup, same deal as pika...but even less combos and difficult to counter any of kirby's combos, yoshi has problems countering any muti hit down aerial
3. Ness: (45-55) Even or slightly in yoshi's favor, the problems are from ness's djc's and throws, but yoshi has many combos and can easily gimp ness's recovery...also, yoshi can get out of many combos through djc'ing
4. Fox: Fox (70-30) due to lasers and throws...its very difficult to get out of fox's combos, lasers make approaching hard, and tap a combos by fox are incredibly comboable, yoshi has djc combos including up air/up tilt and n-air
5. Captain Falcon: Falcon (barely...like 55-45) due to throw combos, yoshi has a problem djc'ing against many of falcon's combos....but yoshi has many up tilt and up air combos, falcon can 0 to death, but yoshi can also)
6. Jigglypuff: Another bad matchup, 70-30....yoshi has very small amount of combos....can't gimp ko through up tilt.....Rests and up throw combos can kill yoshi easily
7. Mario: even, problem being throws and fireballs...but yoshi can combo well vs mario,
8. Yoshi: uhhh wut
9. Donkey Kong: problem is throws...but dk is a lot slower than falcon, yoshi has 0 to deaths, dk has mindgames...take you pick, i say yoshi 60-40
10. Luigi: Luigi has combos, yoshi has some even though luigi is incredibly floaty, but up b really kills yoshi and yoshi doesn't have that many gimping moves, 60-40 luigi
11. Samus: Yoshi 60-40, yoshi has combos vs samus, samus has mindgames, samus has a bad laggy throw so that doesn't help her
12. Link: Yoshi (55-45) link's projectiles really hamper yoshi, Yoshi has a huge amount of combos...link is easily gimped
Maybe if you put spaces I'll read it.

Winston

Smash Master
@ TehBo:

Fox is better than you think.

@ Boom:

well... this is kind of a general chart, obviously stages change the matchups by quite a bit because hyrule is like the most non-neutral neutral stage ever, but whoever's reading the chart can keep that in mind. Viewer discretion advised.

@ greenblob:

you're right about tiers/mu charts reflecting the highest level of play. Just extrapolating from my matches with SheerMadness (not the results, just what happened in them) I feel like a top yoshi could handle a top falcon. I had thought otherwise before but I had underestimated the maneuverability of yoshi's djc. There might be a slight advantage for falcon, but not enough to warrant a +.

@ Sirhc

Lol?

@ everyone else

does anyone care at all? xP

still waiting for DK/Luigi advice.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
people who post to simply say we dont know what we are talking about should be kicked into the sun
isai would pull out a 0-death combo to the sun

No seriously, his debating is sure nowhere near as good as his smashing...

Top Bottom