• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Little Mac be top tier in SSBU?

Tedlett

Smash Rookie
NNID
xRaindrop
We can see how strong mac is in ssb4 on stage, yet he sucks because of his garbage recovery. It is shown in the individual trailers on the smash website (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM09wj8xwE) that mac can use his up b out of his jolt haymaker. With this plus directional air dodging, his recovery is definitely going to be a lot better, and should maybe boost him up the tiers. Thoughts?

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I loves the buffs given to Mac, especially since I maimed him in WiiU. However, I highly doubt these buffs will make him a top tier character. It'll definitely boost him up some, but overall, not top tier.

As a whole though, I think it's too early to be talking about tier placements. Though that's just me.

Last edited:

Ulk

Smash Cadet
As much as I love Little Mac, I think that would be just terrifying.

Of course we don't know all the details yet, but if we only go by what we know and only consider that his recovery has potentially improved, I don't think that would be enough to make up for his basically inexistent air game. If they also worked on moderately improving his air game though, then that would be pretty frightening.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He still has a terrible matchup against characters like ZSS and Shiek and Bayo. I don't imagine him doing a whole lot better against Bayo even if she got nerfed, given she dominates at the thing he's utterly terrible at.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
Banjodorf, I was able to beat several really good Bayos at tournaments, and even then I was only gimped off the side because of my ****ty recovery or stupid low percent ladder combos. I also think the matchup against Sheik is fairly even in Smash 4, given the Mac knows what he's doing. It could actually be slightly in Sheiks favor but not by too much. Check out my Little Mac buff thread I just posted for some new information.

Last edited:

Lézard_Tekno

Smash Rookie
We can see how strong mac is in ssb4 on stage, yet he sucks because of his garbage recovery. It is shown in the individual trailers on the smash website (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM09wj8xwE) that mac can use his up b out of his jolt haymaker. With this plus directional air dodging, his recovery is definitely going to be a lot better, and should maybe boost him up the tiers. Thoughts?
else he can use his side-b before his up and it would be good if up-b would be more maniable like charizard

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
LOL! Little Mac has many issues beyond his recovery holding him back a decent tier placement.

But I will still play him.

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
How in the world do people still think mac has ever had a bad match-up with sheik? o. o

Mac's changes here look exciting by the way, I've had multiple top end sources vouch for a potential high-tier placement. I personally would be satisfied with mid.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
How in the world do people still think mac has ever had a bad match-up with sheik? o. o

Mac's changes here look exciting by the way, I've had multiple top end sources vouch for a potential high-tier placement. I personally would be satisfied with mid.
What of his air game? I WANNA BELIEVE.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
i would be perfectly happy with mid too tbh

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Top tier could be pushing it for a fighter whose air game is very poor. I'm no competitive expert, but Little Mac would be fortunate if he managed to make it to the mid-tier level.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Top tier could be pushing it for a fighter whose air game is very poor. I'm no competitive expert, but Little Mac would be fortunate if he managed to make it to the mid-tier level.
i agree even if mac is better in smash ultimate with his recovery and ground movement and whatnot...what is stopping people from just platform camping him as usual though? i think that will hold him back unfortunately.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Hi Sol! Are you going to be more active in SSBU? I don't want to hate :ultlittlemac: this time, but I might hate :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy: more, and :ultinkling: (& :ulticeclimbers:).

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Great.
They removed the one weakness he had aside from his aerials, and he actually has a somewhat competent recovery now.
welp time to main mac

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
Regerdless of small disputes, As anb old revised statement of melee for ultimate, A skilled Mac can beat any Bayo. As for sure Sol showing that greatness. Even if mac currently loses his perfect pivot, as do the whole roster, the extreme amount of puffs help his favor up! Straight lunge can be reveresed or sheild cancelled for mind games and mixups, as well as heavy arrmor to recover if up high. Jolthaymaker may have lost grounded range, but having it be usable much more as a landing mixup for his recovery helps greatly for sure! Even the great statements of mac's jumps and rising uppercut given more height just gives mac alot more to help him, especially for aerial mixups given less landinglag overall as well as the new parry tech for a much more solid punish. Overall, just as this applies to really any character, Mac does have a shot at top tier placement, but it all tends on who pushes mac into the ring to show other characters who the boxing champ is! So hopes to us Mac mains to show what we got!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
mac has absolutely no shot at TOP tier placement, he might be better, but without a throw combo (or even reliable setup) or an even sort of reasonably threatening air attack, he's going to still have serious shortcomings against a lot of the cast.

I'm excited about this character also, can't wait to try him out :O

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
mac has absolutely no shot at TOP tier placement, he might be better, but without a throw combo (or even reliable setup) or an even sort of reasonably threatening air attack, he's going to still have serious shortcomings against a lot of the cast.

Cloud

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Cloud also has an incredible most other things game including air pressure strong ground game great hitconfirms pressure and kill options outside of the limit mechanic
That's a ridiculous comparison for a character like little mac lol

https://youtu.be/9eRtJLCwU4U

Anyway here's a video for everyone to get them too excited about Mac's potential

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Cloud also has an incredible most other things game including air pressure strong ground game great hitconfirms pressure and kill options outside of the limit mechanic
That's a ridiculous comparison for a character like little mac lol

https://youtu.be/9eRtJLCwU4U

Anyway here's a video for everyone to get them too excited about Mac's potential
apparently you have no clue how good little mac could be now

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801

I actually disagree with you about grab combos being integral. With virtually no characters having guaranteed throw follow-ups and air dodges being severely nerfed, mix ups and frame traps are what most of the roster will need to have a strong offensive game, and Mac is probably just fine there.

I also think no shot is hyperbole and that if the current top tiers see some nerfs and Mac dominates the neutral, we can see a top tier mac.

circuspig

Day Negative 92 Simon Main
I'm very excited to play him in this version, I think he'll be pretty scary

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I was thinking. Could Straight Lunge be more applicable for landing this time around?
I know you can shieldcancel it. But can you air-dodge cancel it?

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I disagree, it's got it's strong points due to the return of directional air-dodging and weak points thanks to the increased air-dodge lag.

So more of a neutral change in my opinion.
You do know that if you Directional Air-dodge you cannot act out of it for like 2 seconds. This is only useful for mac when he's literally close to the ledge. Using It anywhere else is going to cause Little Mac to SD.

R.Y.N.O.

Smash Rookie
I think on paper mac looks low end of mid teir, his strengths are all exemplified but his weaknesses are largely the same, now that he might not automatically die when put offstage, hes jumped up from the position “not having to edgeguard” to “easiest character in the game to edgeguard” Regardless he looks like one of the sickest characters to play and watch period

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
He will still be fun at least. I had tons of fun and decent success with him during the Smash 4 era, and his new tools makes me excited to use him again. Neutral B is no longer going to be completely useless, as you can now cover the opponent's landing options more reliably on an Omega stage.

Top Bottom