• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could I get some opinions on my Toon Link gameplay?

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
More Up smash and Up tilts, shda doesnt hurt and more Rar as these things are TL main tools. On a side note the first guy seemed a little noobish to me =/

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
from me youll get honest positive and negative (not necessarly negative, just notes that might help you improve) feedback

you step dodge a lot, somebody used to step dodgers will punish you bad (i know to punish tthem well, calculate when the invincibility frames animation is over and release a smash you were previously charging, or a char with a strong jab/tilt will **** you, like snake, bowser or d3)... try using more the shield roll than a step dodge

i saw no tilts, if you tilt a smash spammer youll beat the crap out of him (unless hes MK/G&W lol), not because you just out run him, but you have less chances to be punished, can juggle with tilts and can mindgame him to a bad dodge that can result you as a free smash... worse yet... no upsmashes... they are great as approach, as juggler and as high % k0er

lots of dair... you used dair a lot, this was probably your worst move, a TL dair spammer is a person with high smash knowledge's godsent gift... ill give you this example, ive got this friend who started brawl 2 weeks ago, he started liking TL and using it, we had this fight, i was snake and well, i realized how much he loved dair, what i did to punish him was predict his dair (its pretty **** easy to do so), walk a bit away and use forward smash.. snake's uber slow forward smash hit him like 20 times that day (ofc i missed sometimes due to the 0 damage knockback dair has on near foes/objects)... well, you might possibly ignore this, but somebody will teach you this lesson some day, to never spam dair on air or ground

you seemed to fail to punish on the ground, you had many clear chances of 100% guaranteed maybe even semi charged forward smashes

you didnt use grabs at all, yyour uthrow and dthrow are great for starting combos and juggling... i didnt even see a shield grab (not as useful wit TL since he has tether but its still a useful move believe it or not)

i didnt see you trying to gimp, TL has soo much gimp potential with his nair and fair, also his jumps are **** good and can get him easily back on stage

you seemed to fail at camping... you didnt camp well in my opinion, well, you can say its TL vs TL, but... you were using a slow projectile that cancels with a fast on e(arrows vs boomerang)... ofc the dark TL outcamped you, he was just dumb and kept camping you at short ranges where he could had done a smash instead... blue TL was pretty easy to beat id say, you even outcamped him (PS: dont recharge arrows camping, spam them, its not like the arrow has some catastrophic effects if charged, you can annoy more and be more efficient with 3/4 arrows doing an arrow cancel)

on the good... you surprised me, i didnt knew TL's up+b had so much potential for killing, you gave that move a great use... just be aware of this, your opponent didnt air dodge, if somebody air dodges your up+b in the air, consider that you have a semi/charged smash guaranteed on you... you can use this move as a mind gamish kill though

great air game and punishing, i love how you use your uair

eventhough you used side step a lot, i noticed youre pretty good at defending yourself, keep this up

you gave fsmash a good use, could have been better though

generaly, you have a good ongoing TL, you need to read more guides about how to use him efficiently, youll turn good in a second, you dont seem to know many of TL's versatile strategies and even without them you seemed to pull an effective game, also, try learning some advanced techs with TL (arrow cancelling, jump cancel throws, secret b stick using, etc)... good luck with your TL, you seem to have some potential there, dont let my negative feedback make you feel down, rather use it as a way to try to improve your game

Sukecchi

Smash Cadet
I found that the post above to be the most helpful.

I don't use grabs with Toon Link because I generally miss and it's too slow.

I use Down Air a lot...yes...I know this. I also use it to get back to the stage faster. I've never taken a serious fall from someone waiting for me to get down.

Tilts...yeah...not really concerned with them. The way I play seems to work.

The arrow thing was something I don't normally do.

Top Bottom