• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Damage Ratio fix the K.O. problem?

Ashpash

Smash Rookie
With people noticing it's a bit difficult to K.O. in this game, would upping the damage ratio (to 1.1 or 1.3) make a noticeable difference?

Yes I do realize this would make combos harder to pull off, but perhaps a low increase in damage ratio wouldn't have that much of an impact on low percent knockback (0 - 40%) but have a much GREATER impact on higher/K.O. percentages (60 - 100%) when it really matters.

I'm not quite sure how much damage ratios impact knockback in this installment of the game or how they scale with % (haven't played the full game yet, or seen anyone on stream play around with damage ratio), but it might be worth some experimenting if you're getting tired of not being able to K.O.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
This was talk about early into Brawl life spam and if I'm recalling it correcting the final saying was this would only hurt the community as changing the damage ratio would help isolate ourselves from new players interested in getting into the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about we wait and play the game extensively before we even begin to consider this?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In the current metagame, the "KO problem" is imaginary anyway. Thinkaman and I gathered data on this very topic explicitly to address the common complaints about KOs taking too long when they're fully congruent with past smash games:

http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...om-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643

You could argue that people will live longer as they understand survival tech better. You could also argue that they'll live less long as people get better at executing edgeguards and combos. It's not clear where the metagame goes from here. What is clear is that there is no basis at all to believe this KO problem exists; no evidence is extant that supports the hypothesis that KOs take a long time in smash 4.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I swear I am having year one Brawl flashbacks.
^ This in a nutshell.

The Offstage game will be real. It is how to get those early kills and gimps. Most people wait on the stage sitting comfortably because of the ledge mechanic. Nothing needs to be adjusted. Let the game be out for a few months competitively before we start ripping it apart.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
I think it is best to wait a bit. If KOing takes to long after people learn the game maybe Nintendo can patch the blast zone.

Ashpash

Smash Rookie
I think it is best to wait a bit. If KOing takes to long after people learn the game maybe Nintendo can patch the blast zone.
True, in fact if there really is a problem with K.Oing people after playing for a while, I'm realizing knockback would be one of the least likely causes. Blast zones or how strong the effects of VI/DI are are probably more important discussion topics

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
In the current metagame, the "KO problem" is imaginary anyway. Thinkaman and I gathered data on this very topic explicitly to address the common complaints about KOs taking too long when they're fully congruent with past smash games:

http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...om-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643

You could argue that people will live longer as they understand survival tech better. You could also argue that they'll live less long as people get better at executing edgeguards and combos. It's not clear where the metagame goes from here. What is clear is that there is no basis at all to believe this KO problem exists; no evidence is extant that supports the hypothesis that KOs take a long time in smash 4.
If you compare first week Brawl footage to first week Smash 4 footage, in my experience, the Smash 4 matches are definitely longer per stock.

Did you see the Japanese finals? :/

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I really don't think we should be deciding this week one regardless of statistics this and statistics that. The best and more valid argument is "It's like month one of a brand new game" and this would be true, it already has a complete revamp on the DI system(axing it entirely.) This is gonna take time to decide upon.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Like Ampharos said, it's too early to tell decisively. I currently believe there will be no "KO Problem" at all in the long run, as long as players learn the new offstage game, which, to me, is far more interesting than the old system used to be.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
People will just have to take the fight off-stage more often. Has been working fine for me. This shouldn't be a problem because the new mechanics really make the off-stage game more viable if you ask me.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
It might be able to fix that issue. People acting like you gonna get a kill offstage with all these buff recovery and autosnap ledges.
But it is too early to try something like that now.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
guys i cant ko at 70% in this game wtf? :yeahboi:

But yeah, go offstage and earn a kill.

Zebra Dragon

Smash Rookie
to be honest I considered lowering KB to try to fix the combo problem if there is one rather than upping it, since making damage racking easier would actually help scoring early kills. But like they said, the game should be played extensively before making any hasty decisions. I don't see why we shouldn't even begin considering playing with the options though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but as we learn how to adjust to a more chasing/off-stage centric game, everything will even out.

With the larger blast zones, I'd even argue that Sakurai's design of the game supports this.

Ashpash

Smash Rookie
It might be able to fix that issue. People acting like you gonna get a kill offstage with all these buff recovery and autosnap ledges.
But it is too early to try something like that now.
I agree, I think it's too early to really say both things; that a K.O problem exists and that you can easily K.O using edgeguards.

In the demo alone, both Pikachu and Villager can easily fly underneath Final Destination to grab the opposite ledge. I personally think edge guards might be more difficult to pull off (it'll require more skill to read air dodges because of how fast they are, and aerial moves seem to have poor knock back. Not to mention some insane recovery for certain characters)

It does look like charcters with aerial spikes have an advantage though.

Top Bottom