• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Convince me to buy SSB4/Wii u

Dark_Ky

Smash Cadet
I am reaally having a hard time deciding if i should buy a Wii u just for Smash 4 or not. unitl now I have played every smash game on every console casually but SSB4 looks really tempting to get into completively.

in the end I would just buy a Wii u for one game (I am only interested in fighting games) so I would like to know a few things beforehand from you guys:

- its obviously no Melee and it probably wont take over its position as the Nr. 1 smash game but do you guys think that this game has a future completively?

- how is the netcode? this is probably the most important factor to me because a offline completive scene is pretty much nonexistend where I live. is online alive? (enough players to fight)

- whats really annoying about the gamemechanics to you in SSB4? (personal opinions are fine)

- I am not an uber technical player so I wanted to know if SSB4 is hard to get into and how much lag effects execution.

thats pretty much it. would aprreciate it if you answer my questions ^^

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No game is worth paying over $300 for, not even Smash. That said, the Wii U as a whole is, with its extensive library of great first-party games, among other things. As for the bullet points:
- I'd say it has a great competitive future. There's a lot of great high-level play happening already in tournaments, and it's a lot better for the scene than Brawl was, I feel.
- It depends on your connection, of course. I believe it's peer-to-peer, so one bad connection will mess things up. I don't have a good connection on my console ATM, so I don't play online, but I hear there's plenty of people to play with.
- Nothing really stands out to me as annoying with the game mechanics, honestly. The game just feels really solid overall, and it's definitely my favorite in the series so fat (this coming from someone who's only played Brawl, P:M, 3DS, and Wii U :p).
- It's pretty easy to get into, especially if you've played previous games in the series. The mechanics are simple and more refined than ever, and there's some great "starting point" characters such as Mario, Kirby, and the like. If by lag you mean online input lag, then I can say from experience that input lag is the reason I stopped playing online. It's bad if the connection is bad. If you mean visual lag, as in an FPS drop, that doesn't really happen a lot in this game to begin with from my experience, even in the eight player battles. It can happen as a result of online connection, however.
Hope this helps. :)

Raijinken

Smash Master
I bought the Wii U just for Smash, and consider it worth it. Though I do play quite a bit more than just fighting games, so the Virtual Console and some of its other games appeal to me that may not appeal to you.

1) It's a different game, but unlike Brawl, doesn't do anything blatantly bad for competitive play. Thus, its success depends on the community, Nintendo's support for it, etc.

2) Online's fine for now, and vastly improved from Brawl's. I don't expect any drop in For Glory participants any time soon.

3) I personally have no notable complaints about the mechanics. They do tend to favor somewhat defensive play online, since you can't rely on otherwise safe moves with lag, but over-all, it's a fun game with a shockingly good balance between aggressive and defensive playstyle validity.

4) Smash4 has relatively few highly technical techniques (just perfect pivoting, really, and that's not half as mandatory as wavedashing was for Melee) so far. Lag still affects play, like it does in any game, but if you're playing on a reasonable 30-50 ping range (i.e. playing fairly local opponents), you should barely notice it. Plus, if you know your internet is good but you're still lagging, you can just drop after a round and find a new opponent. If it's really bad and you aren't a stickler about your win/loss rate, you can just die to end the match sooner and then drop and find a new opponent. And of course, if you meant graphics, then I only notice lag when Fox or Falco is bumping someone with their UpB while it's charging. I also occasionally have some blips loading the starting video and whatnot, but those could easily because I downloaded it and have less than a hundred megabytes left on the system memory. Controller input lag is largely unnoticeable, but many players do still prefer to use the Gamecube controller for familiarity.

Lastly, as you probably know if you've been spectating, some mechanics have gotten overhauled for the first time in the series. Landing during an airdodge gives you a nice approx. 1/3 second landing lag, making the air-to-ground transition somewhat riskier, which in turn strengthens the ground game. Also, edge mechanics got reworked such that you can no longer edgehog people. This in turn makes the edge game much more engaging and complex, and encourages offstage play.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just know that Smash is probably the last fighting game that will be on the Wii U for a long time (if not for the rest of the console's life span), if fighting games are truly all you care about.

However, there are a few other fighting games in the backlog. The Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is actually the best one (though the PS3 version has a better scene). You can also get Injustice: Gods Among Us. And I believe the Virtual Console has Street Fighter II (multiple versions, even).

Personally I don't think the Wii U is for you if you only care about fighting games. PS4 will be the main place to go for them. Only one you'll miss is Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am reaally having a hard time deciding if i should buy a Wii u just for Smash 4 or not. unitl now I have played every smash game on every console casually but SSB4 looks really tempting to get into completively.

in the end I would just buy a Wii u for one game (I am only interested in fighting games) so I would like to know a few things beforehand from you guys:

- its obviously no Melee and it probably wont take over its position as the Nr. 1 smash game but do you guys think that this game has a future completively?

- how is the netcode? this is probably the most important factor to me because a offline completive scene is pretty much nonexistend where I live. is online alive? (enough players to fight)

- whats really annoying about the gamemechanics to you in SSB4? (personal opinions are fine)

- I am not an uber technical player so I wanted to know if SSB4 is hard to get into and how much lag effects execution.

thats pretty much it. would aprreciate it if you answer my questions ^^
I do believe that Smash Wii U has a future competitively; again, if Brawl had a decent competitive life-cycle, Smash Wii U will thrive adequately enough. As of current, the game is front and center in the attention of the Smash community as it just came out. A lot of major tournaments are dropping Project M for that Nintendo sponsorship; however, I doubt that will last forever. If you are interested in Smash Wii U, it is probably best to start sooner than later. That being said, Smash 64 still enjoys competitive prominence. Brawl, despite being denounced by a great portion of the community, is still present from time to time. Smash tends to stick around for awhile, but none of us are fortune tellers.

The net-code is relatively decent. As mentioned by another, it is peer-to-peer, so if one person has a shoddy connection, the game is essentially ruined given the input delay and horrendous lag. I find games with the match-making fairly easily myself, people are still available and playing, I would not worry too much about player count until a year or two down the line.

I truly enjoy the new mechanics. The ledge mechanics add an entire layer to the meta-game. Rage is extremely overrated, it adds a little bit of knock-back at higher percents; however, people act as though it is the most overpowered come-back mechanic in the history of gaming. Or at least the annoying commentators that do not understand what it actually does. Regardless, this is probably the most in-depth Smash without overwhelming advanced techniques.

Smash is notoriously very easy to get into but quite difficult to master. I am not sure what you mean about lag effecting execution. Do you mean online? In which case, yes, most definitely. Albeit, compared to other fighting games, the difference is more minimal as timing is not nearly as strict. If you just mean ending lag on aerials and whatnot, there is certainly some.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
One of the mechanics, or specifically, changes in physics, made to Smash 4 is the length of time you spend hitting walls or ceilings. There's a very noticeable 'bounce' when hitting walls at high speeds, and it takes several frames to play out.

Combine this with the apparent return of distance-based teching from Brawl, and it becomes much easier to brake yourself on the ground or any other level geometry you hit.

I understand this won't affect the bland stage tourney crowd (seriously, there are stages outside of Final Destination, folks) quite so much, but i've got a replay of an 8-player on Temple where the good ol' Cave of Life let me get a peak damage of over 400% as Ganondorf.

The other big change is on-stage spikes cause the same kind of techable bounce, even when the opponent is standing.

Just keep these in mind, and it should be a fine game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One of the mechanics, or specifically, changes in physics, made to Smash 4 is the length of time you spend hitting walls or ceilings. There's a very noticeable 'bounce' when hitting walls at high speeds, and it takes several frames to play out.

Combine this with the apparent return of distance-based teching from Brawl, and it becomes much easier to brake yourself on the ground or any other level geometry you hit.

I understand this won't affect the bland stage tourney crowd (seriously, there are stages outside of Final Destination, folks) quite so much, but i've got a replay of an 8-player on Temple where the good ol' Cave of Life let me get a peak damage of over 400% as Ganondorf.

The other big change is on-stage spikes cause the same kind of techable bounce, even when the opponent is standing.

Just keep these in mind, and it should be a fine game.
The mechanic you are referring to (specifically on-stage spikes causing a bounce) is actually reminiscent of the "bounding" mechanic that was added to modern Tekken games, which became very popular in competitive Tekken.

So if anyone reading this likes Tekken and making use of bounding, the mechanic actually exists in Smash 4 and can be used in similar ways. I have gotten KOs with Rosalina by dragging an opponent into the ground with F-Air, which causes a bound (Rosalina's F-Air is a rapid multi-hit move - all rapid multi-hit aerials have meteor effects on each hit until the last one, as far I know, as it keeps the opponent gripped into the attack in the air), which I then follow-up into a Side Smash or Up Smash. Incredibly satisfying to make use of, just like in Tekken.

HiddenKitsune

Smash Cadet
NNID
CosmicCucco
3DS FC
4639-9331-4635
If it's fighting games you're after, the WiiU has a few I can think of off the top of my head such as Smash (Obviously), Tekken Tag 2, I guess Ninja Gaiden 3 is a nontraditional fighting game, I think Fist of the North Star is a fighting game. And Meme Run.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Got friends who will play with you locally? If you have a group that's pretty serious I'd say they could chip in for a shared one. Under the prerequisite that its just for Smash4 and for you to play alone / online only I'd say no.

If they announced Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 2 and it was WiiU only then I'd call that a pretty good deal breaker though.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
If it's fighting games you're after, the WiiU has a few I can think of off the top of my head such as Smash (Obviously), Tekken Tag 2, I guess Ninja Gaiden 3 is a nontraditional fighting game, I think Fist of the North Star is a fighting game. And Meme Run.
Injustice: Gods Among Us also.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
What about Pokkén Fighters?

deadcult

Smash Cadet
Smash bros was one of the primary reasons I bought a Wii U but I wouldn't of bought one to solely play one game.

As far as online goes, I may be new to competitive smash but I play several PC games competitively and I have to say the online is lacking many features that feel like they should be standard in 2014/2015.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
But like

Smash Bros.
In HD.

No seriously though, one game shouldn't be enough for you to get a Wii U. But the Wii U has quite a few good games.

Valacar

Smash Cadet
I would also like to point out, although deriving from the main topic a bit, that there are other great games that you could play on the Wii U becides Smash Bros. You said you were interested in fighting games. Bayonetta 2 is an amazing combo fighter and EXCLUSIVE. Also includes an HD remaster of the original game and of course, there is Hyrule Warriors, so if you are a Zelda and Dynasty Warriors fan, you'll love it.

SSB4 is a fantastic game, but it isn't worth buying a whole console for. You can let it influence your decision on buying the console, but it shouldn't be your sole reason. Definately check out some of the other games in it's library, you might suprise yourself with what you find! (And seriously, check out those 2 games I mentioned)

As for Online, it is very playable. Lag is appearent, but not heavy. You can greatly improve lag reduction by getting the Wii U adapter which lets you directly connect an ethernet cable to the console for a better connection. They're only like $12.99 and improve your connection alot, ESPECIALLY if you are fighting other people who have it too.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've got the game, but don't have a Wii U of my own, and honestly, I plan to keep it that way until something that really catches my interest comes along.
Don't get me wrong, Smash 4 is a good game, and it's really easy to get into, not to mention it will help improve your fundamentals greatly, especially in regards to reads in general.
Right now, though, it kinda seems like it's kinda stuck because not very many characters have the same kind of comboability they used to have what with knockback being strangely high and hitstun being disproportionately low (or generally wonky), but that being said, there are plenty of guaranteed followups that you'll probably hit most of the time without giving much thought (due to the new DI system); I'd say it's a lot like Brawl Kirby, because most of the combos are pretty much the kind of stuff he relied on without much room for innovation (as of right now).
Range as a whole has been (mostly) nerfed and many moves have been given extra startup/endlag, so you'll find yourself thinking a lot more about what to throw out and when since spacing in and of itself is more of a challenge and you've got a chance to lose quite a bit of stage control if you screw up; in relation to that, landing is also tougher with the addition of landing lag from airdodge, but at least the ledge mechanics are rather forgiving.
All of this isn't necessarily bad, it's just stuff (that I feel) you should know before jumping in.

I think it does have a future if we keep pushing the game to its limits and work to find all it has to offer, but I would not buy a Wii U for this one game.
However, someone else in the thread did recommend a group chip-in thing, and I think that's a great idea if you really would like to experience the new game with friends -- I've had plenty of hilarious moments and fun matches with friends despite my distaste towards the game (and even their distaste toward the game), so I'd say you should give that a try.
For some reason, Smash always manages to deliver when friends are involved, and I'm thankful for it.

Dark_Ky

Smash Cadet
Just know that Smash is probably the last fighting game that will be on the Wii U for a long time (if not for the rest of the console's life span), if fighting games are truly all you care about.

However, there are a few other fighting games in the backlog. The Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is actually the best one (though the PS3 version has a better scene). You can also get Injustice: Gods Among Us. And I believe the Virtual Console has Street Fighter II (multiple versions, even).

Personally I don't think the Wii U is for you if you only care about fighting games. PS4 will be the main place to go for them. Only one you'll miss is Smash.

I already own a PS3 and most of the fighting games on it (except anime fighters, I do own BBCP though) and I am not planning on buy a PS4 because the gen consoles are so weak and that the PS3 arcade sticks wont be supported on PS4. thats why I am completely switching to PC (every next gen FG will come out on PC and my PC is beast and ALL USB stuff will work) and wont bother with this stupid marketing decisions by companies who wont allow USB hardware to work on NEXT GEN consoles that have USB compatiblity. IMO the future of fighting games lies within PC.

I have no problem buying 1 console for 1 game even with spending about 500€ (wii u + MK8 330€, 120€ smash + GC converter + pro 50€ controller). I bought PS2 and PS3 just for Tekken btw. I just dont want to spent that much money for a game that I wont be relevant to me or the community after a specific time. with Tekken that didnt happen and I could enjoy it way the money I spent.

overall thanks for the answers guys. I still not sure lol. I think that I need get my hands more on this game and then decide from there but it looks promising that I will get it ^^

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I already own a PS3 and most of the fighting games on it (except anime fighters, I do own BBCP though) and I am not planning on buy a PS4 because the gen consoles are so weak and that the PS3 arcade sticks wont be supported on PS4. thats why I am completely switching to PC (every next gen FG will come out on PC and my PC is beast and ALL USB stuff will work) and wont bother with this stupid marketing decisions by companies who wont allow USB hardware to work on NEXT GEN consoles that have USB compatiblity. IMO the future of fighting games lies within PC.

I have no problem buying 1 console for 1 game even with spending about 500€ (wii u + MK8 330€, 120€ smash + GC converter + pro 50€ controller). I bought PS2 and PS3 just for Tekken btw. I just dont want to spent that much money for a game that I wont be relevant to me or the community after a specific time. with Tekken that didnt happen and I could enjoy it way the money I spent.

overall thanks for the answers guys. I still not sure lol. I think that I need get my hands more on this game and then decide from there but it looks promising that I will get it ^^
If relevancy is a worry, the game has a promising lifespan. Brawl lasted six or seven years as a competitive game despite it's criticism in the competitive community. There is no reason Smash 4 won't last that long at the very least, though I see it lasting much longer myself.

If you happen to have a 3DS or know a friend who owns one, Smash 3DS has demo that can be downloaded for free. Smash 3DS is the same game as Smash Wii U in terms of mechanics, so it's a good way to decide if it's worth investing in Smash Wii U in the long run.

_gold_

Smash Master
No game is worth paying over $300 for, not even Smash.
I wish I was smart enough to think that when I bought a X1 just for Destiny. Terrible game.
Anyways, that choice is completely up to you. The Wii U has a solid collection of games, with plenty more in the future. The two main console-selling games for it right now would probably be Mario Kart and Smash. I can't really say if you should get one just for Smash, because each person has different opinions. So I'd hate to have you disappointed after dealing all that cash. But personally, Smash 4 is a great game with probably the most content of any Smash yet.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
People still play the N64 game aka Super Zerotodeath Brothers, and Brawl didn't keel over even with Metadomination. I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Not perfect since it depends on both players connection, but compared to Brawl's, immaculate. Sakurai said that most future updates will be focused on the netplay, so it should only improve from here on out.

Lack of "true" combos and lots of moves seemingly dedicated to being finishers due to how mediocre your other options are. Rage is an obnoxious mechanic which basically punishes you for not being able to finish people off. Also momentum doesn't carry in jumps.

Whiffing one won't cost you a match right off the bat 95% of the time, and if you're laggy, the person on the other side is in the same exact boat as you are.

Now that we talked about your worst fears, let's look at the bright sides: In the metagame, the mid to high tier selection looks very healthy with very few out-right bad characters, and it's still young so lots of potential sleepers especially if custom moves are allowed down the line, there are several more competitively viable stages compared to Melee or Brawl (but Smashville is still the go to stage), loading times are way better than Brawl's. While Diddy is considered top-tier, the gap isn't Meta Knight ---------------------IC-Olimar-Diddy--------------everyoneelse horrible, but a larger array of characters, similar to Melee's metagame.

Last edited:

Dark_Ky

Smash Cadet
You can greatly improve lag reduction by getting the Wii U adapter which lets you directly connect an ethernet cable to the console for a better connection. They're only like $12.99 and improve your connection alot, ESPECIALLY if you are fighting other people who have it too.
which lan adapters do you use? does it have to be the original (have been hearing this, some updates are causing problems with other adapters?) or can you use whatever lan adapter you want? the original nintendo adapter cost as aroung 43€ now.. this is really bugging me. I am planning to play lots of online and if this isnt guaranteed I am not buying the wii u.

seriously.. wanted a gc adapter for wii u but its price skyrocketed to 84€ ?!! cant find it cheaper anywhere because its soldout and no additional delivery in sight.. I guess that meany wii u pro controller for me.

I hate consoles so much.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
There are still great games on the Wii U. Like Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8. And great games to come like Kirby Rainbow Curse and Zelda U. Even Starfox U. So yes, I would suggest you buy a Smash bundle and Bayonetta 2. And IF posible buy MK8 too. They should keep you entertained until more of the games come out.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Roy might be in the game as DLC, might as well go for it now

Funny, considering how it's pretty clear Sakurai has no plans for SSB4 DLC at all until the reception for the Mewtwo DLC (which isn't to be released for another 2-3 months) comes in and is gauged.

Basically that's fake and obviously so, or else the news would be buzzing about how that was revealed and how whoever revealed that was fired from Nintendo.

Concerning the actual OP: No, I'm not going to convince you to buy a Wii U, and neither should anybody else here have to. It's your choice whether or not to buy a Wii U and Sm4sh, and if you want to, then go for it. Same if you don't want to: don't buy it. Our opinions shouldn't matter any more than game reviews in magazines: you look for a quick glimpse at how good it is and nothing else. They shouldn't be your deciding factor for getting something expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom