• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers and Settings

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
Point is that most people just use the normal settings of the GC remote and duke it out with friends, but i use a wii mote / nunchuk combo with settings for kirby, DDD and one for MK . and one of my friend uses 3 diffferent settings for PokemonTrainer, Wolf, And Dk so hes got 3 different names. so i was wondering if you any of you customize your controllers to kirby, or other characters and if so, what are your settings?

MY Settings:

Tap Jump) Off

Nunchuk
C) Jump
Z) Block

WiiMote
A) Attack
B) Special
A+b) Grab
Dpad) Smashes
1)Grab
2) Taunt
1+2) Taunt

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
wiimote.. *shudders*

My original 2 gamecube controllers are still in perfect working order, thankfully :)

A while back I set Y to Special, since I realized I only ever used X to jump. I set Y to Special mainly so I could short hop double arrow/ short hop bomb pull quickdraw with Toon Link, but I found that Y is a much more convenient spot than B for Kirby too, so I use it with all characters, and it feels weird without it now.

Y to special ftw! One day I might change B to something else, but I don't have any need to change it that I can think of.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I can do all right with a Wiimote/nunchuck (and Ganon becomes my main when I am forced to), I prefer GC controller anyway.

I use the default settings with the exception of X being set to special. I originally changed it to more easily hit jump and special in close succession, like for Flight of the Ganon, but have found it useful for all sorts of other things, such as hammer cancels, rising capes(Mario), double arrows (Both Links, though they require different timings), etc. It's kind of weird... I use B for specials UNLESS I happen to be using jump and special together.

Also, when I play MK, I turn tap jump on, while it's off for everyone else.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i used 2 only play w the GC controller. but then i went to a friend's place and got pwnd cuz he didn't have one. lol.

so i had to learn how 2 use the wii/chuk:

shake smash on (not as good as c-stick, but better than nothing)
tap jump off

Nunchuk
C) Jump
Z) Block

WiiMote
A) Special (like the 'b' button on GC)
B) Grab (like the 'z' button on GC)
A+b) Grab
Dpad UP) Up Smash (for DACUS)
Dpad DOWN) Attack (like the 'a' button on GC, helps with SH aerials)
Dpad SIDES) Jump (like the 'x' button on GC, helps with SH aerials)
1)Taunt
2) Taunt
1+2) Taunt

it's a little weird, i know, but i'm actually better with the wii/chuk now than the GC. after 8 months. lol. the only deficiency i find is the lack of a cstick down/instant dsmash.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
A while back I set Y to Special, since I realized I only ever used X to jump. I set Y to Special mainly so I could short hop double arrow/ short hop bomb pull quickdraw with Toon Link
Nice idea! yea i have trouble doing short hop special moves with kirby and setting it to Y would be very helpful. Although kirby's short hop specials arent particularly useful...still, nice idea man. I always wondered why you had special as Y.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, you can SH hammer cancel during the first swing, but I guess that's not all that useful... That and I tend to hit it too fast and cancel it before the hitbox comes out, which is just ********.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I set Y to Special
X being set to special.
n00b!

Oh yeah, I have tap jump on all the time >_>
Nice idea! yea i have trouble doing short hop special moves with kirby and setting it to Y would be very helpful. Although kirby's short hop specials arent particularly useful...still, nice idea man. I always wondered why you had special as Y.
Short hop Inhale works wonders :O

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I just have Tap jump off, the rest is the same. I have a B-sticked setting too, but I never use it.
If you don't use it, switch to C-sticking.
It helps with retreating aerials, stutter stepping, Glide tossing, pivoted Fsmashes, and makes hyphen smashing MUCH easier. Also, it allows you to Fsmash while holding items. (Note, not all of these apply to Kirby)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I have tap jump on for MK to allow for easier rising aerials, though the only thing I regret is not being able to do his Utilt very well with tap jump.

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
If you don't use it, switch to C-sticking.
It helps with retreating aerials, stutter stepping, Glide tossing, pivoted Fsmashes, and makes hyphen smashing MUCH easier. Also, it allows you to Fsmash while holding items. (Note, not all of these apply to Kirby)
I have it C-sticked. I have one setting called EKI, which i use, and one called EKI-B, which I don't use.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh hehe, I misread that.

B-sticking is helpful for ness supposedly, but I don't know... I never use it.

Equus

Smash Cadet
I used to just use the standard GC controller minus tap jump, but now I'm experimenting with Y specials to see if it makes combos any easier. I tried B sticking once, but I was so used to Smash sticking that it seriously messed up my gameplay.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I tried B sticking once, but I was so used to Smash sticking that it seriously messed up my gameplay.
Same here. I find 1 advantage of b-sticking: Easy RAR's (which I admittedly don't use).

Yeah. I use the default setting on GC controller, but I might play around with it. I never use smashes with the a button (my friends make fun of me for this), and when I bsticked, I would use grounded hammer while going in for the kill:(.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh hehe. I dunno, doesn't that just flip the hammer for Kirby though? That isn't that complicated to do without B-sticking anyway...

I dunno, certain characters take certain controls better. ROB and Ness aren't too bad B-sticked I've heard, and Ganon can be good A-sticked, but I'd stick with C-sticking for Kirby (which it sounds like everyone is doing anyway).

Top Bottom