• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

controller style (1st thread), is it just me?

larknok

Smash Rookie
Is it just me, or am I the only one planning on playing ssbb with the wii remote sideways? Cause when I tell people to use the side special they get all confused and then they're like "Oh, you mean left b!" And because I've never played melee more than like 3 times (in those three times i fell in love with it and promised to myself i would get sequel) I get confused. Everyone is always saying buttons on the gamecube controller i will never know, and i want to know: Is there anyone else out there who actually is planning on playing with the wii mote sideways?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
No, no one is. If you play with it you will be at a great dis-advantage.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You should at least use the Nunchuck too. Wii remote sideways is much harder to use, it's by far the worst of all the control schemes (actually, none other than the Wii remote sideways are bad).

You should have a nunchuck already, and I actually like the feel of the classic controller, and already have a plan for a control scheme. I also just bought 2 new GCN controllers though...

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I'm inclined to agree, with the basic remote you are left with either walk or dash, and you wont have access to tilt moves in some instances. That and you cant C-stick/flick smash/new term for the quick smash on the Wiichuck combo.

I plan to use the Wiichuck since my GC controller is a Gamestop knockoff, so it's really hard to do tilts thanks to the sensitivity of that thing.

Tiwaz

Smash Cadet
I am using the wiimote and nunchaku. I used it at the Brawl tournament I played at and it isn't that bad; I was able to keep up with the others, even though we were all just noobs. So, if you start out with that controller, you shouldn't be at much of a disadvantage to GC controller players.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Sideways wiimote is the worst choice, simple as that. There has to be a worst out of the 4, and I doubt many people would disagree. Do you not have a nunchuck that came with the wii console?

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
buy a GC controller on ebay or something

I picked up two brand new ones today on say on my local gamestop...you might get lucky too

EDIT - I didn't make this clear before - those were two Nintendo brand gc controllers...none of that off brand crap

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna try all 4 styles, will give them all a try with an open mind. I will probably stick with the classic or if it doesn't feel right, back to the gc.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
The Wiimote is generally at a disadvantage to the other three options for a few reasons, most notably the lack of an analog stick. I've heard people say 'B' as shield was another reason to discredit it, but really, not only can you rearrange your control scheme, but you can save it on the Wiimote you're using. Silly, really.

I mention the analog stick problem because, as far as I know of, you can click a direction on the DPad and it will perform only one function without an additional press, which, believe it or not, can take precious time. The lack of another stick (such as the CStick) also presents a problem. I, as well as the other posters above me, suggest the Wiimote+Nunchuck combination. It is what I'll be using, and I think it'll supply the most creativity/functionality for peoples' individual button preferences.

But, if you really insist on playing with the Wiimote exclusively and think you can perform best on it, more power to you. Just suggesting you should consider/try the other choices first.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
buy a GC controller on ebay or something

I picked up two brand new ones today on say on my local gamestop...you might get lucky too

EDIT - I didn't make this clear before - those were two Nintendo brand gc controllers...none of that off brand crap
Not sure how much they are at Gamestop (if they still carry them), but they are are $25 from Amazon and Nintendo's online store. Amazon had them on sale for 20% off and I snagged two of them and because I had some credit on the site for some reason, I only paid $24 for two new, Nintendo brand controllers.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Having played Brawl with only the sideways wiimote, I can say that I will never do it again unless forced to, considering you basically can never use your up-tilt, and you frequently will do B moves when you intend to do smashes or vice-versa.

Just don't do it!!

jasonw002

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seashell
3DS FC
4613-8751-4371
I just don't understand how anyone would think they don't want to use a control stick. I mean no one was using dpads in SSB64.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
The only thing I'm worried about with the wiichuck is the use of the B button. It doesnt seem tough, but it may feel awkward at times.

Top Bottom