• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Controller Setups

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Hello there.

I've been wondering what Controller Setups you guys use when playing Smash 4. Both Wii U Pro Controller (and the Gamepad for that matter) and Gamecube Controller are fine. Do you use Tap Jump, C-Stick for tilts, different buttons for Sheild, Grab and/or Jumps?

I'd really like to know :]

P.S.: Maybe some Ness mains can help me with a good controller Setup especially for him? I'm currently using the Pro Controller, still can't get my hands on an adapter.

PCHU

Smash Lord
For pad, I have A for attack, B and Y for jump, and X for special.
R and L are shield, RZ's grab, tap jump's on, and c-stick is set to smashes.
It's not an amazing setup, but I find that it's most reminiscent of the GC controller; one solid setup seems to work best for me since I'd rather not have to switch between configurations when I switch characters, not to mention it's comfortable.

It might be a little better than the 2DS, but I still drop inputs on that thing; can't wait for them to ship more adapters.

Raijinken

Smash Master
For the Gamecube controller, I turn off Tap Jump. No other changes.

For the Pro controller, I simulate my 3DS control scheme. Y to grab, and I make ZL and ZR both into shield. L and R can be anything because I don't hit them, and the right stick remains on Smash mode.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Wii U Pro controller, shoulder buttons flipped (ZR and ZL shield, R and L grab), tap jump off.

teejay469

Smash Rookie
NNID
t33j4y
I use a Wiimote w/ Nunchuck. Once you actually get pretty used to it, it's not that bad of a controller. I remapped the control pad on my wiimote to do smash attacks instead of whatever the defaults were. Sometimes my hands slip when trying to do something, but other than that, it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
For gamepad, all I have at the moment, I have ZR+R as standard attack, ZL+L as jump, A as grab, B as special, and Y as shield. X is jump but I don't use it.

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
If I use the Gamecube controller I keep tap jump on. However, I switch Z to jump (easier to do C-stick aerials), and X to grab. C-stick set to tilts (for easier aerial mobility and for perfect pivot tilts).

Hostageclam

Smash Cadet
NNID
flood0f72
I play on a gamecube controller and it's basically all standard; X and Y to jump, A to attack, B for specials, C-Stick for smashes, etc. The only change I ever make is changing L from shield to grab, and that's just because of how accustomed I am to playing on the 3DS.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Gamecube - no tap jump. All I got. All I need. Can't change any more or my consistency between all games shatters.

Top Bottom