• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Poll

Controller

• Total voters

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I use the >new< 3DS, mostly because I only own the 3DS version of smash, but I also really like the 3DS controls. The new 3DS has the C-stick and the ZR and ZL buttons, making it have just as many possible inputs as pretty much every other controller!

However it has its downsides:
you can't customize the function of the C-stick or ZR and ZL buttons for some reason, on both versions of the game, which I don't get. The Wii U version supports so many different controllers, and has lots of customization available for all of them, so why not the new 3DS? At least it could have been added in a patch!
The only other major downside is that the battery life is poor compared to the other controllers. For my 3DS, it will last for about 7 hours of play on a full charge, which is pretty much enough for any tournament, but if I play a lot of friendlies before or after (or if I ever go to a major), I would need to charge it at times throughout the day.

Otherwise, I love the fact that even though I don't even own the Wii U version of smash, I can still compete in Wii U tourneys just as well as any other player. The only exception being I can't practice on Smashville, Town and City, or Lylat Cruise, but everything else is also on 3DS.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm a gamecube controller user, because of the button layout (including the C-stick), and being used to it a lot since Melee.

But while I'll will never use them as long as a GC controller is here, the gamepad and pro controller are fine too.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
GC's the best only because it's wired. If a wired pro existed I'd switch in an instant.

Wiichuck is the best for every other game though. Having a controller where you can keep your hands separated is awesome for extended play.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
GC controller just feels right for everything for me. You can do so many inputs with ease on a GC and hold it firmly with both hands. Probably, the only equivalent to the GC controller I like is either the GamePad or the 3DS.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I use the Wii U Pro Controller. It's really great and, to be honest, it's way better than the Gamecube controller. To be honest, I think people mostly use the Gamecube controller because of the nostalgia factor and because they're used to it from playing too much Melee.

Let the salt rain. But, seriously though, the Pro Controller is just plain better designed. No hate the the Gamecube controller, though.
I dunno about way better but yh..i never thought i would use it either but its absolutely perfect and i never play with a GC pad for sm4sh ever now

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I dunno about way better but yh..i never thought i would use it either but its absolutely perfect and i never play with a GC pad for sm4sh ever now
Yeah. It's just better designed for comfort and precision, in my opinion. I understand it's issues at tournaments but in any other situation it's the better controller. If they just added a USB port to the controller so that you could choose to plug it in or play wireless, that would be awesome.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I used to only go WiiChuck but once I decided to get serious, I switched to the GC. Once you do, you can't really go back. I've tried 3DS and it's similar and usable. I mainly use the C stick for aerials. That's the main reason I need the GC.

I find it nearly impossible to play well with WiiChuck though. This is just my experience but a player would have to know the control scheme pretty well. There are less input options so it's hard to do certain things.

GalaxyWing

Ascension
NNID
SkaiSong
3DS FC
5086-2324-1353
I use the Wii U Pro Controller. It's really great and, to be honest, it's way better than the Gamecube controller. To be honest, I think people mostly use the Gamecube controller because of the nostalgia factor and because they're used to it from playing too much Melee.

Let the salt rain. But, seriously though, the Pro Controller is just plain better designed. No hate the the Gamecube controller, though.
Lol I'm not here to rain any salt on you, but I will have to disagree with most of your statement regarding the nostalgia factor of the GC Controller. I can't really comment on the Wii U Pro Controller's usability for the game since I havent tried it yet.

My first Smash Bros game that I played was Brawl (I played Melee like once when I was a kid and dropped it since, now I'm back into it somewhat). I primarily played that game using the wiimote, at that time I didn't realise the GC controller was far more superior for more high level play compared to the wiimote. It was only until I started Smash4 that I decided to try out the GC controller and I have to say that the controls just feel natural for Smash. So I don't think it's necessarily a "nostalgia" thing (though it may be for alot of people) but rather it just being the way the game was actually meant to be played. Any other way would just be restricting people from performing certain skills in-game that would otherwise be learned and done easier with the GC controller.

This is just my opinion though, but I do agree that there probably is a nostalgia factor there for many people. :]

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Lol I'm not here to rain any salt on you, but I will have to disagree with most of your statement regarding the nostalgia factor of the GC Controller. I can't really comment on the Wii U Pro Controller's usability for the game since I havent tried it yet.

My first Smash Bros game that I played was Brawl (I played Melee like once when I was a kid and dropped it since, now I'm back into it somewhat). I primarily played that game using the wiimote, at that time I didn't realise the GC controller was far more superior for more high level play compared to the wiimote. It was only until I started Smash4 that I decided to try out the GC controller and I have to say that the controls just feel natural for Smash. So I don't think it's necessarily a "nostalgia" thing (though it may be for alot of people) but rather it just being the way the game was actually meant to be played. Any other way would just be restricting people from performing certain skills in-game that would otherwise be learned and done easier with the GC controller.

This is just my opinion though, but I do agree that there probably is a nostalgia factor there for many people. :]
I see what your saying. The GC controller does feel natural. And when you try the Wii U Pro it will feel even more natural. :)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I honestly feel that the majority of the players that play Smash 4 started with 64 or Melee. I cant imagine we have gain many players from Brawl. It was a great game however not exactly from a competitive stand point.
Ya kidding? Almost every Smash 4 player was known for playing Brawl. ZeRo, Ally, 9B, Trela, Nairo, Mr. R, Seagull Joe, Vinnie, ESAM, Ryo, NAKAT, FOW, Shaky, MVD, Dabuz, Nientono, all Brawl players.

Now onto controllers. GC is the best one IMO. Good layout, no 1000 year process to plug. If 3DS weren't so fragile, it would be the best controller because the button layout is perfect. At least for me.

GalaxyWing

Ascension
NNID
SkaiSong
3DS FC
5086-2324-1353
I see what your saying. The GC controller does feel natural. And when you try the Wii U Pro it will feel even more natural. :)
I think the only thing stopping me from using the Wii U Pro Controller is just the fact that its wireless. I'd rather not have to worry about a controller running on battery, no matter how long its battery life is. Otherwise, it seems usable. Just not really my cup of tea.

At my college we have a pretty solid competitive smash scene (people bring their wii u's there everyday lol) and I've run into probably only 2 people who actually use the Pro Controller and are decent at the game. It just goes to show that its whatever you're comfortable with.

Now the wiimote on the other hand... e_e;

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
Ya kidding? Almost every Smash 4 player was known for playing Brawl. ZeRo, Ally, 9B, Trela, Nairo, Mr. R, Seagull Joe, Vinnie, ESAM, Ryo, NAKAT, FOW, Shaky, MVD, Dabuz, Nientono, all Brawl players.

Now onto controllers. GC is the best one IMO. Good layout, no 1000 year process to plug. If 3DS weren't so fragile, it would be the best controller because the button layout is perfect. At least for me.
Your right. However most of them started playing competitively with the older games. They just got bigger, more well known / higher ranked in Brawl.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Your right. However most of them started playing competitively with the older games. They just got bigger, more well known / higher ranked in Brawl.
I played casual melee with items, FFAs, all stages, and silly rules, enter one melee tournament...it was ffa with items and all stages...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I think the only thing stopping me from using the Wii U Pro Controller is just the fact that its wireless. I'd rather not have to worry about a controller running on battery, no matter how long its battery life is. Otherwise, it seems usable. Just not really my cup of tea.

At my college we have a pretty solid competitive smash scene (people bring their wii u's there everyday lol) and I've run into probably only 2 people who actually use the Pro Controller and are decent at the game. It just goes to show that its whatever you're comfortable with.

Now the wiimote on the other hand... e_e;
Well, to each their own. I'll probably get an adapter for my GC controller so I can try it out with Smash 4. Then, I can make a comparison between the two. Obviously, GC is best for Melee but I really feel that Pro is superior for Smash 4.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I've only had the Wii U version for a month after playing 3DS since launch. I've been playing on the gamepad because I like the screen.

To me, the face button layout of the Gamecube controller is sub-optimal. The cross-layout of the 3DS, Wii U Pro, Gamepad and others is superior to whatever Legend of Zelda thing is going on with the Gamecube controller. The shoulders are too deep, the Z button to flat, the C-stick too short.

So while I want to say that the Wii U Pro would be my ideal controller, it's garbage, pure garbage. I keep getting the worst missed inputs and accidental Up-B, Down-B reversals. If the controller had ridges like the Gamecube controller, it would be great, but as is I keep getting the worst inputs at the worst time.

I also get a strange problem where my dash grab turns into a pivot grab. That might have to do with my gamepad having almost not dead zone, I never have that problem on the 3DS.

An optimal controller for this game does not exist for me. I need one with a Gamecube control stick (half size), 3DS face buttons and shoulders (much easier to press), and Wii U C-stick placement (half-size again, location is closer to my jump button than gamecube controller.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
No.

I started competitive smash in 2008 with brawl. I was known for my :wolf: for 6 years. I then played PM and people somehow forgot about my :wolf: and affiliated me solely with :diddy:. After PM transitioned from 3.02 to 3.5 and stopped being streamed smash 4 became the center of attention. My :sonic: in 4 then became the only character I was known for.

So tl;dr version:

September 2008- January 2014- :wolf: user
March 2014-November 2014- :diddy: user
November 2014- now- :sonic: user

People who haven't been around for more then a couple years have no idea of my history or any brawl player really. It's a shame.

ZeRo and Esam are the only two on this list who played another smash game prior to brawl. Everyone else started in brawl.

:018:

Last edited:

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
People who haven't been around for more then a couple years have no idea of my history or any brawl player really. It's a shame.

ZeRo and Esam are the only two on this list who played another smash game prior to brawl. Everyone else started in brawl.

:018:
You would know more than I would. I've been around since the beginning of Smash but have only played 64 and 4 competitively. I've also been gone for a long time since shortly after the release of Melee and really haven't watched much competitive Brawl.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I prefer using the Gamecube controller because personally for me it is the best controller for any Smash game and also the best controller i have ever held. The way how it is laid out just makes it really comfortable to play Smash.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Wii Remote and Nunchuck user here.

I dabble using the GamePad, and I'll admit it's a bit more reliable in doing more complicated stuff, but being able to move your hands around separately just feels really good to me.

The GameCube controller isn't bad, I think, but it never really grew on me. And I never had the chance to try the Pro Controller.

Top Bottom