• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Poll

Controller

• Total voters

NotMegaMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sickspinda
What controller does everyone use, i own a 3ds but you cant play online with it :facepalm:, im currently using a WiiMote sideways, which makes it hard to do certain things(cant egg throw as yoshi without wasting second jump specifically):yoshi:So im looking to buy a new controller
Opinions always welcome lol

Last edited:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Been practicing with 3DS only for so long that the other controllers don't feel right anymore ):

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I use the Wii U Pro Controller. It's really great and, to be honest, it's way better than the Gamecube controller. To be honest, I think people mostly use the Gamecube controller because of the nostalgia factor and because they're used to it from playing too much Melee.

Let the salt rain. But, seriously though, the Pro Controller is just plain better designed. No hate the the Gamecube controller, though.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
To be honest, I think people mostly use the Gamecube controller because of the nostalgia factor and because they're used to it from playing too much Melee.
Or maybe, y'know, it's just a really good button layout that's the most optimal for smash, barring the 3ds.

Last edited:

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
gamecube or the gamepad if I'm too lazy to get the gamecube remote..
you should try one of those!

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Or maybe, y'know, it's just a really good button layout that's the most optimal for smash, barring the 3ds.
why is it the most optimal for smash, besides being wired?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I don't see how a smaller b button helps, unless you're referring to the c-stick location

Look at the two for a long time and note the differences between their layouts and think about what buttons you use the most.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget

Look at the two for a long time and note the differences between their layouts and think about what buttons you use the most.
well, personally, I use the ZL and L buttons on the pro controller a lot. That's because I'm left handed, though, so the Gamecube controller is probably better for righties.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I personally prefer the pro controller which yes, I even use in tournaments. I have seen 3DS's, Wii mote and Nun-chuck, and even just Wii motes used as controller options in tournament. Although game cube and pro controllers are most common.

I prefer the pro controller to the game cube controller mainly for the comfort of the controller in my hands and the c-stick placement. Which seems to make pulling bombs and throwing boomerangs much easier with :4tlink:. I even use it to throw in a quick side-b mid combo and rest with :4jigglypuff:.

However to the syncing and input lag worries; one can only hope that Nintendo or a good third party developer makes a wired version of the pro controller eventually. It would be cool if it could plug into the game cube adapter or even just a USB port.
(Above) Quoting myself from another thread.

In my opinion the only plus sides to the game cube controller are:
1- The triggers / bumpers. They feel much nicer, however I don't think the pro controllers are bad.
2- The fact that they are generally wired. Although I have never had any issues with any sort of input lag using the pro controller in tournament.
3- The game cube controller last longer. This is the main one that matters. The pro controllers seem to start having issues with this after roughly 6 months or so of heavy play and tournament use even with vibration turned off.

The pro controller is much more comfortable to hold and I like the fact that every button is equal in size and protrudes equally from the controller. I personally believe that the pro controller is the best gaming controller ever made, and feel that the players who prefer the game cube controller prefer it because:

1- The nostalgia.
2- They have never tried the pro controller.
3- Because Smasher's are supposed to use the Game Cube controller because Melee was the greatest Smash of all time. (Which is all a matter of opinion. usually among players who started with Melee) I started with Smash 64 before Melee was released and believe 64 and 4 are the best. Although I do love watching competitive Melee.

The placement of the a, b, and x buttons are in a much better position where you don't have to stretch your thumb as much to reach them (and I have fairly large hands) and the c-stick is placed better for quick flicks.

All in all, your controller choice comes down to personal preference. Try both and see what you like! Disclaimer! I have not tried the 3rd party pro controllers and am simply stating my opinion on the Nintendo pro controller.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
1- The nostalgia.
2- They have never tried the pro controller.
3- Because Smasher's are supposed to use the Game Cube controller because Melee was the greatest Smash of all time. (Which is all a matter of opinion. usually among players who started with Melee) I started with Smash 64 before Melee was released and believe 64 and 4 are the best. Although I do love watching competitive Melee.
Not completely true since I don't fall under any of those categories. There's a much simpler reason: we're already used to the gamecube controller. I've tried the Pro Controller for smash before and the button layout works perfectly fine, but it felt a bit "off" because I had gotten so used to the gamecube layout. A lot of people don't like change when they've gotten used to something, especially when that change costs $50.

I'm surprised at how many people use the Pro Controller though, I was under the impression that the majority used game cube controllers. I guess it's a testimony to the number of new smashers we've gotten since Smash 4 released.

Last edited:

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I own the Pro Controller and the Game Cube Controller. I honestly think the Pro Controller is just better. I do not like how the Game Cube controllers buttons are all different shapes. I think it's just personal preference but the Pro Controller, while still not perfect, just feels the most comfortable to me.

As for the Wii Remote, I could never imagine being good using that.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Not completely true since I don't fall under any of those categories. There's a much simpler reason: we're already used to the gamecube controller. I've tried the Pro Controller for smash before and the button layout works perfectly fine, but it felt a bit "off" because I had gotten so used to the gamecube layout. A lot of people don't like change when they've gotten used to something, especially when that change costs $50.

I'm surprised at how many people use the Pro Controller though, I was under the impression that the majority used game cube controllers. I guess it's a testimony to the number of new smashers we've gotten since Smash 4 released.
I mean, only 29 people voted in the poll. That's not exactly indicative of anything.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Personally I'm shocked by how many people prefer 3DS over the other options (not counting the poll).

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I've been using both the Wii U Pro and the Gamecube (The new Smash 4 one.)

It's a hard decision. Sadly I lost my charger for the Wii U Pro some months ago so I haven't been able to play with it. It's a really amazing controller I must say.

Gamecube one is amazing, too, because the layout on the buttons are great.

I did vote on the Gamecube one, however. But it wasn't an easy decision.

TyDye

I honestly feel that the majority of the players that play Smash 4 started with 64 or Melee. I cant imagine we have gain many players from Brawl. It was a great game however not exactly from a competitive stand point.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879

A and second stick? Yeah that's why I like the Pro Controller, it puts them closer together.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Woah, there's like 15 people who actually like the Pro controller or gamepad. Interesting.....I mean after playing on a gamepad the first time I got a Wii U it actually felt surprisingly good.

But anyway, gamecube controller here, as should like 70% of the population apparently.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I honestly feel that the majority of the players that play Smash 4 started with 64 or Melee. I cant imagine we have gain many players from Brawl. It was a great game however not exactly from a competitive stand point.
You'd be surprised

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
A and second stick? Yeah that's why I like the Pro Controller, it puts them closer together.
But the flaw with that is that one has to move their thumb upwards away from the face buttons. GCN allows for one to claw the face buttons with the index finger while moving the thumb downward to the c-stick.

I don't see how a smaller b button helps, unless you're referring to the c-stick location
The face buttons on gamecube are in optimal thumb resting position and allows for quick movement between y, a, and b. Pro has the benefit of having the godly 3ds layout, but with the misfortune of said buttons being on the lower end of the controller, away from natural resting position.

Also wiichuck is highly underrated.

Last edited:

TyDye

The face buttons on gamecube are in optimal thumb resting position and allows for quick movement between y, a, and b. Pro has the benefit of having the godly 3ds layout, but with the misfortune of said buttons being on the lower end of the controller, away from natural resting position.
I feel that they are honestly in a more natural resting position and having the c-stick above and closer to the buttons makes for easier use of it. It seems that many players who use the c stick often prefer that configuration.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I didn't know anyone ever used the 3DS controller feature for Smash. Also, explain why GCN has better button layout than the Pro. I actually think the Pro fits the hand much better and the buttons are much less sticky, allowing for smoother play.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
Feels great to be the only Wiichuck user in the poll. :3

Unlike a lot of other people, Brawl was my first Smash game, so it shouldn't be surprising I learned to play with a wii remote + nunchuck and it's the most comfortable for me. The GC controller simply doesn't feel right with me because I can't find a decent scheme that would make me comfortable without having Tap Jump on.

Pro controller seems great, despite having only heald one, I could see myself using the L button as jump and LZ as shield to make it similar to my mostly deafaut wiichuck control scheme.

My only real gripe with my wiichuck is that the analog stick on the standard nunchuck I have access to feels a little too big for Smash, and it'd be great if the analog stick on the GC or Pro Controller was on the nunchuck.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I use 3DS because Smash Beta is the only Smash 4 version I own.
Whenever I play Real Smash 4, I need to use a 3DS because it's the only controller my brain programmed itself to play Smash 4 with. I can't play Smash 4 with a Gamecube controller because I feel like I'm playing Melee or PM with it, which makes me never airdodge or airdodging into the ground thinking I'll wavedash.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Feels great to be the only Wiichuck user in the poll. :3

Unlike a lot of other people, Brawl was my first Smash game, so it shouldn't be surprising I learned to play with a wii remote + nunchuck and it's the most comfortable for me.
Funny, I actually used to play with Wiimote + Nunchuk in Brawl also, with control pad mapped for smashes and grab. I liked it a lot because for some reason the C and Z buttons on the nunchuk were really comfortable to use for shields and jumps. Plus I'm really lazy and it's nice to be able to rest both of your arms wherever you want while you're playing :p.

I eventually made the switch to Gamecube towards the end of Brawl's lifespan mostly because people kept telling me to do it, but I use a silly control setup that kind of emulates the nunchuk (R for special, Y for grab). It took a bit of getting used to, but in the end I guess it was a good choice since it gave me access to a second stick and easier taunts (I hated that 1 + 2 simultaneously was the only way to do side taunt...). It's still not too hard to make the transition back though, which is nice if we're short on controllers, plus the weird controls make it easier to separate Melee from Smash 4 so I can get into the right mindset when switching between the two.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I can see why people like Gamecube, but I personally use Classic Controller Pro because of the symmetrical layout, and I wouldn't have had to buy another controller because I already had one from my Wii days.

On a side note, I will be very shocked if solo Wii Remote gets a single vote.

Last edited:

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
Funny, I actually used to play with Wiimote + Nunchuk in Brawl also, with control pad mapped for smashes and grab. I liked it a lot because for some reason the C and Z buttons on the nunchuk were really comfortable to use for shields and jumps. Plus I'm really lazy and it's nice to be able to rest both of your arms wherever you want while you're playing :p.

I eventually made the switch to Gamecube towards the end of Brawl's lifespan mostly because people kept telling me to do it, but I use a silly control setup that kind of emulates the nunchuk (R for special, Y for grab). It took a bit of getting used to, but in the end I guess it was a good choice since it gave me access to a second stick and easier taunts (I hated that 1 + 2 simultaneously was the only way to do side taunt...). It's still not too hard to make the transition back though, which is nice if we're short on controllers, plus the weird controls make it easier to separate Melee from Smash 4 so I can get into the right mindset when switching between the two.
Eyy, I use the D-pad for grab and smashes too.

Just wondering though, if you don't use Tap Jump, what's your setup for the GC controller?

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
If we had a wired controller with the pro's triggers and the gamecube's face button layout and joystick that'd be the perfect controller.

I played the first 8 months of smash 4 with the pro and then switched to the gamecube after learning how much of a pain using a wireless controller is in live tournaments. Now that I've used the gamecube for about 8 months I'd have to say it's definitely superior other than the triggers.

The layout of the gamecube's x/y buttons surrounding the A button lets me perform certain inputs faster. And the joystick is definitely superior in a lot of ways. Most noticably it's easier to perform tilts if you're like me and use the default c stick to smash setting.

However, I do think the gamecube triggers are clearly inferior for smash. They are unnecessarily deep which hurts response time. I don't understand how anyone can defend them, there is absolutely no reason for them to be so deep. It just adds to response time. I can powershield much better with the Pro, it's so much easier to be accurate with shielding and sidestepping with the pro.

But yeah, overall gamecube wins but if a 3rd party ever puts out a wired gamecube controller with the pro's triggers that is tourney legal I'd be all over it. I know there's the new hyperkin, but last I heard it is wireless.

Last edited:

CrispyJosh

Smash Rookie
I use the Classic GameCube controller. The response time and the travel distance for the buttons just aren't the same with the new smash controllers. Plus, remapping the buttons with their unique layout can make pulling off shield grabs so much fun!

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Eyy, I use the D-pad for grab and smashes too.

Just wondering though, if you don't use Tap Jump, what's your setup for the GC controller?
Besides R for special and Y for grab, I mapped B as jump since I wasn't using it for special moves anyway. I like it because it makes doing short-hopped aerials really easy, you just have to swipe your thumb from B to A or B to the C-stick depending on what attack you want to use. C-stick is also set to attack for easier jab cancels, and the rest is default besides tap jump being off.

That's what I've used since making the switch to Gamecube controller and it works well for me, but really, any control scheme is fine as long as you're comfortable with it. It took me a few hours to get used to it, but now it's just muscle memory. The way I actually got it ingrained was by forcing myself to play through Subspace Emissary with that setup! I really miss that mode...

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I stick with Gamecube because despite the fact that I think the Pro is better designed, The pro's longevity seems extremely poor for me. I've already screwed up multiple Pro Controllers in three years whereas my first Gamecube controller from 2001 (which I only stopped using once I got a smash controller at the start of 2015) is still fully operational.

TyDye

I stick with Gamecube because despite the fact that I think the Pro is better designed, The pro's longevity seems extremely poor for me. I've already screwed up multiple Pro Controllers in three years whereas my first Gamecube controller from 2001 (which I only stopped using once I got a smash controller at the start of 2015) is still fully operational.
Agreed! That is the one big thing the Game Cube controller has on the Pro.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Pro controller, because everything else feels like garbage to me.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
I put my Wiichuck down and gave a real serious attempt at using that gamepad collecting dust on the table.

I can honestly say I've switched to that now. I can short hop and jump out of shield a lot more consistently now, and things feel marginally more precise. Bouta get my hands on a Pro Controller as soon as I can.

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss being the one guy that used wiichucks though.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I put my Wiichuck down and gave a real serious attempt at using that gamepad collecting dust on the table.

I can honestly say I've switched to that now. I can short hop and jump out of shield a lot more consistently now, and things feel marginally more precise. Bouta get my hands on a Pro Controller as soon as I can.

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss being the one guy that used wiichucks though.
I don't even know how it's possible to play this game with Wiichuck...

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
I don't even know how it's possible to play this game with Wiichuck...
Down on the Dpad for Grabs. Defaults should work otherwise. I always kept one finger on the nunchuck's buttons instead of two, which is where the discomfort starts, though its tricky to jump out of shield with only one finger ready on those buttons.

Maybe it's because I've used them for so long, but outside of those little quirks, its a decent control scheme.

Wiimote only though. I pray for whoever uses that.

Top Bottom