• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller advice

sligh16

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to smash 64, and after seeing and reading a lot of strategy/videos I bought a pair of standard controllers for the PC. The problem is that I can´t happen to do short hops or Tilts, so if someone knows how to and posts his current button setup would help a lot. Thanks in advance!

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the forums :)

What brand are the controllers? Some are easier to do shorthops/tilts than others. Under settings, try a different emulator plugin in Project 64. If your controllers aren't that good, they may not have the level of sensitivity. Try different joysticks and buttons on the controllers, it doesn't matter which buttons go where as long as your happy with the controls. If they still don't work correctly, it's probably the controller just not being made for more precise inputs. You can probably return them and get a different controller, or a usb adapter for an N64 controller.

My favorite controller for Smash is a wired Xbox 360 Controller. The buttons numerous and of great quality, and it feels nice in the hand. I ordered mine from here: You can also likely find it in a local Walmart. It comes with an installation CD so drivers are not an issue. If you already have a wireless one, you can also look for a usb adapter. Here's the link to the wired 360 controller.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Wired-Controller-Chill-White-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/4196264

Here is the adapter for an N64 controller. The problem with N64 controllers is the joystick. It's easily worn out over time rendering it very difficult to use. I have the original N64 console, Smash 64 cartridge, and 4 Nintendo controllers, but I cannot play nearly as well as I do with them as I can with the 360 Controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-N...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

If you have more questions, ask :)

dandan

Smash Lord
the problem is not with the controller.
short hops have nothing to do with sensitivity but with how quickly you tap the button.
set a button to be a c button and tap it quickly, you will see you will be able to short hop.
about tilts, your range settings might be off and thus making it harder to do them.

however, i myself still find the ps controller to be quite bad for smash (and ps cheap immitation even worse) and would recommend going for another controller.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
the problem is not with the controller.
short hops have nothing to do with sensitivity but with how quickly you tap the button.
set a button to be a c button and tap it quickly, you will see you will be able to short hop.
about tilts, your range settings might be off and thus making it harder to do them.

however, i myself still find the ps controller to be quite bad for smash (and ps cheap immitation even worse) and would recommend going for another controller.
Actually dandan thats not true, theres been a couple controllers I've personally had to return to the stores for their button sensitivity. Shorthops were completely impossible with them.

EDIT: to further elaborate I think its more of how the buttons were set into the controller also. They stuck really high out of the face of the controller much like it looks like his does.

dandan

Smash Lord
Actually dandan thats not true, theres been a couple controllers I've personally had to return to the stores for their button sensitivity. Shorthops were completely impossible with them.

EDIT: to further elaborate I think its more of how the buttons were set into the controller also. They stuck really high out of the face of the controller much like it looks like his does.
if that was true it would not have been possible to short hop on keyboards as there are no sensors to detect the sensitivity of the press.
it is achieved by speed alone.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
How good is the xbox controller for smash? I might probably end up getting one as it seems that I'll never get my hori to work on the PC.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Sensors imply that its an analog connection aka like a trigger for the xbox controller. all a button is is like a switch. however the n64 controller pcb button switches have two degrees of push. an inner and outer ring of points that are connected. but for all intensive purposes a shorthop is achieved by speed

Battlecow

Play to Win
but for all intensive purposes

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think you mean "for all INTENTS AND purposes."

Your error is indeed egregious enough to merit 100 mad faces. I typed in colon-M-A-D-colon for each of them. That's how much you hurt me just there.

Top Bottom