• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control Setup for Rosa?

Ogdvenstroodle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ogdvenstroodle
Hey everybody! I'm slowly on the rise with my RosaLuma, but I was wondering:

Is there a control setup that you find to be the most optimal?

Currently (on the GC controller) I have tap jump off, L as jump so I don't accidentally jump-cancel up smash when trying to do uair strings, X to shield so I can tech stage spikes more easily, and C-stick to tilts.

I know it's usually up to the player's preference, but I was wondering if you guys have a different setup that helps you out with certain AT's!

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I don't know why people turn tap jump off. I find it to be much more natural simply for moving around the stage. Although some people do say that it's easier to perform Utilts with tap-jump off, it's really not that much of a hastle.

The other argument is that when you try to Uair out of shield, or SH Uair, you accidentally JC UpSmash. However, I always set my C-stick to tilt, so that I can press Up on the control pad to jump and press up on the C-stick to do an Uair.

I always leave shield as R, because it's just natural to me, and I actually never use the L button, because to grab, I just press shield and attack at the same time. There's no difference, because there is no actual grab button: the L button is just a shortcut for pressing R and A at the same time.

Ogdvenstroodle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ogdvenstroodle
I have my tap jump off because 1) I don't like the possibility of accidentally using my 2nd jump when trying to recover/defend myself in midair, and 2) my other main is Captain Falcon, and having it off really helps in controlling my aerial spacing when getting the uair strings with him.

By the way, I love your avatar and signature! That short is amazing!

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I have my tap jump off because 1) I don't like the possibility of accidentally using my 2nd jump when trying to recover/defend myself in midair, and 2) my other main is Captain Falcon, and having it off really helps in controlling my aerial spacing when getting the uair strings with him.

By the way, I love your avatar and signature! That short is amazing!
YEEEE, somebody knows! Absolute best short ever, period, hands down, no questions asked.

Edit: I forgot to talk about actual post. I just use the C-stick to perform aerial attacks, that way I don't accidentally use my second jump, but I see what you're saying. I use jump buttons as well, but I like having tap jump on just because it's another option.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think it is personal preference.

I have the following on GC controller:

L: Attack
R: Grab (although I don't really use it)
Z: Shield
Y: Jump
X: Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
Cstick: Smash
Tap jump off.

The only time I use L is when I've got a desync Luma spin. This allows me to keep Luma spinning with my left index and control Rosalina like normal.

When I changed from L as shield to Z as shield, it took a lot of getting use to. Not just changing muscle memory, but changing the timing as well. Since then, I have been able to pull off more consistent power shields.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
The only difference to standard i use atm is x to shield, basicly just for mashing faster.
EDIT: and a+b=smash off

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
You should always use the shoulder button for jumps. It allows frame perfect aerials off the ground or it allows rising aerials from a DJ.
I always leave shield as R, because it's just natural to me, and I actually never use the L button, because to grab, I just press shield and attack at the same time. There's no difference, because there is no actual grab button: the L button is just a shortcut for pressing R and A at the same time.
How in the world do you pivot or dash grab?

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
You should always use the shoulder button for jumps. It allows frame perfect aerials off the ground or it allows rising aerials from a DJ.

How in the world do you pivot or dash grab?
I dash,( then turn around) and press R and A at the same time? :p

Also, setting the C-stick to tilt means that you can still perform frame perfect aerials with tap jump and the C-stick, while keeping the shoulder buttons as shield and grab. VaBengal has a name for it, I can't remember.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Also, setting the C-stick to tilt means that you can still perform frame perfect aerials with tap jump and the C-stick, while keeping the shoulder buttons as shield and grab. VaBengal has a name for it, I can't remember.
Double sticking.

However, tap jump still seems inferior. It may feel "natural" to you and that's fine and all. But if you want to be optimal at all times, tap jump has no reason for existing. Shoulder button jumps are superior in literally every way.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Double sticking.

However, tap jump still seems inferior. It may feel "natural" to you and that's fine and all. But if you want to be optimal at all times, tap jump has no reason for existing. Shoulder button jumps are superior in literally every way.
So do you use L for jump? Do you find that it's easier or harder to short hop?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
So do you use L for jump? Do you find that it's easier or harder to short hop?
You could use any shoulder button. And while it's definitely hard to SH at first with shoulder buttons, you get used to it pretty quickly. I had quite a noticeable increase in my play too when I started using shoulder button jump exclusively.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You could use any shoulder button. And while it's definitely hard to SH at first with shoulder buttons, you get used to it pretty quickly. I had quite a noticeable increase in my play too when I started using shoulder button jump exclusively.
OK thanks. I tried it out yesterday, and it was difficult to do. I may keep at it.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
is special for ctick good idea? recovery easier?
Personally, I wouldn't. Using the cstick for tilts or smash can give you more aerial control, which Rosalina needs.

For example, try facing away from your opponent, jump towards them throwing out a back air, but shift your serial momentum away from them, so that incase they shield, they can't punish you, because Luma would be the only one hitting.

Using only the control stick, you would lose your spacing and get punished.

With that being said, it would make her recovery easier because you could already hold the direction you want to go (holding back to go straight up) and then hit up on R cstick.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I do have tap jump turned off since I've been using the X button to jump these days, especially for short hopping since it's not so easy to do on the analog stick. I currently have the c-stick set to Smash so that I'll be able to perform smash attacks a lot easier for me without any problems.

I always leave the shoulder buttons for shielding and the z-button for grabbing because they just feel so natural to me.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I always leave the shoulder buttons for shielding and the z-button for grabbing because they just feel so natural to me.
You don't need 3-4 buttons for 2 actions. Set one of them to jump and master short hopping with it, then ONLY use that shoulder button to jump once you get comfortable enough. If you stay dedicated, you WILL see improvements to your play.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You don't need 3-4 buttons for 2 actions. Set one of them to jump and master short hopping with it, then ONLY use that shoulder button to jump once you get comfortable enough. If you stay dedicated, you WILL see improvements to your play.
It seemed to work wonders for me no problem.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It seemed to work wonders for me no problem.
I think what he is saying is, you can improve your game by optimizing your controls. He's not saying that what you have doesn't work, but that it can get better.

For example, I changed my shield to the Z button. Once I got the timing down, I have been able to more consistently pull off power shields. It's not that the Trigger buttons are inferior, but that changing your controls can open opportunities for improvement.

I'm seriously considering swapping my jump to the L trigger to perform frame perfect aerials. I haven't fully decided yet.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I think what he is saying is, you can improve your game by optimizing your controls. He's not saying that what you have doesn't work, but that it can get better.

For example, I changed my shield to the Z button. Once I got the timing down, I have been able to more consistently pull off power shields. It's not that the Trigger buttons are inferior, but that changing your controls can open opportunities for improvement.

I'm seriously considering swapping my jump to the L trigger to perform frame perfect aerials. I haven't fully decided yet.
Okay, I see.

When I mentioned that I have tap jump turned off, I only did that just recently so I have not put it to use at the moment and I'll keep the c-stick for smash attacks and stuff.

I mean, for the time being, I'll just keep my control settings as it is and see if I'll have any success with it.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Okay, I see.

When I mentioned that I have tap jump turned off, I only did that just recently so I have not put it to use at the moment and I'll keep the c-stick for smash attacks and stuff.

I mean, for the time being, I'll just keep my control settings as it is and see if I'll have any success with it.
I honestly think that is the key to improving. Making small changes, adapting to them, then making more small changes.

Trying to make too many changes too quickly can be discouraging. And this method isn't just limited to physical controls.

Another example, is that I've been playing more and more with Luma separated. I'm seeing the positives and negatives if playing with Luma like that.

Eventually I will be able to forsee circumstances where I can detach Luma for control or the kill, or the entire match up, and have the experience in doing so. Even if it means me losing games now to experiment.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Hi! I'm interested in this topic as a RosaLuma enthusiast and someone who is looking at taking her to tournaments eventually. I've been playing her for a while, but I can't seem to get used to any other control scheme other than default with Tap Jump off.

Which controls should I use to optimize her moveset, and why? I do not use the X or L buttons at all, and use Y to jump since it's easier for me to perform any Jump-Cancelled tech. (Up Smash or OoS options)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Hi! I'm interested in this topic as a RosaLuma enthusiast and someone who is looking at taking her to tournaments eventually. I've been playing her for a while, but I can't seem to get used to any other control scheme other than default with Tap Jump off.

Which controls should I use to optimize her moveset, and why? I do not use the X or L buttons at all, and use Y to jump since it's easier for me to perform any Jump-Cancelled tech. (Up Smash or OoS options)
I highly encourage you to changing shield to a digital button. I personally prefer Z as my shield. If you are already using R as your shield (since you don't use L) it may be a little difficult because both buttons are side by side. The biggest hurdle is getting use to the timing.

This means you have to change your grab, which I put on R and on X. I tend to use X, but I also have R available incase my thumb is preoccupied.

I also put L as attack. This helps when doing the Luma Spin. You are free to use the cstick for aerials and can still attack by quickly letting go of L, attacking, and then re-pressing L.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I highly encourage you to changing shield to a digital button. I personally prefer Z as my shield. If you are already using R as your shield (since you don't use L) it may be a little difficult because both buttons are side by side. The biggest hurdle is getting use to the timing.

This means you have to change your grab, which I put on R and on X. I tend to use X, but I also have R available incase my thumb is preoccupied.

I also put L as attack. This helps when doing the Luma Spin. You are free to use the cstick for aerials and can still attack by quickly letting go of L, attacking, and then re-pressing L.
What are the advantages to having shield as a digital button rather than a shoulder? (In my case X or Z instead of R?) I'm willing to change to any optimal control scheme, I'd just like to know why.

Sounds like a good control scheme to me though. I'll try it out and see how it feels.

I would like to ask about Tap Jump On and C-stick set to Tilts. I play a lot of Fox and I've learned that double sticking is essential for frame-perfect aerials. Is there any use for this for optimal RosaLuma play or should I use 2 different control schemes?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What are the advantages to having shield as a digital button rather than a shoulder? (In my case X or Z instead of R?) I'm willing to change to any optimal control scheme, I'd just like to know why.

Sounds like a good control scheme to me though. I'll try it out and see how it feels.

I would like to ask about Tap Jump On and C-stick set to Tilts. I play a lot of Fox and I've learned that double sticking is essential for frame-perfect aerials. Is there any use for this for optimal RosaLuma play or should I use 2 different control schemes?
Because there is so much more distance for the shoulder buttons to travel before being considered pressed and again to be released, changing to a digital button will decrease the time it takes for your shield to come out and to drop.

For example to Power Shield a move, your shield has to come out in the first 3 frames that an attack would hit you. If you're too slow, the Attack will hit you, too fast and you will suffer shield drop frames.

Even if you are able to power shield with an analog, you have to either not press it fully, or release really quickly to ensure you don't enter into normal shield frames. Having a digital button that doesn't depress far means it can quickly be activated and released which means the ability to Power Shield and act out of it increases.

P Planty suggests using a shoulder button for jumping to achieve frame perfect aerials, but I don't use either, so I probably shouldn't weigh in on that.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Because there is so much more distance for the shoulder buttons to travel before being considered pressed and again to be released, changing to a digital button will decrease the time it takes for your shield to come out and to drop.

For example to Power Shield a move, your shield has to come out in the first 3 frames that an attack would hit you. If you're too slow, the Attack will hit you, too fast and you will suffer shield drop frames.

Even if you are able to power shield with an analog, you have to either not press it fully, or release really quickly to ensure you don't enter into normal shield frames. Having a digital button that doesn't depress far means it can quickly be activated and released which means the ability to Power Shield and act out of it increases.

P Planty suggests using a shoulder button for jumping to achieve frame perfect aerials, but I don't use either, so I probably shouldn't weigh in on that.
I tried the control scheme out for a couple hours today. I switched R to grab, Z to shield, X to grab and L to attack. I switched X and L back to Jump and Shield, respectively, because I needed to focus on the Z and R switch. I'll eventually try out X for grab, but R started feeling quite comfortable after several matches, although I still messed up quite a few times.

I'm not good enough to use L as attack yet, mostly because I was focusing on the Z/R switch and I need more practice with the Luma de-sync as well.

Tap Jump and C-stick set to tilts are just so unnatural to me. I'll practice those eventually, depending on which character I settle on.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I tried the control scheme out for a couple hours today. I switched R to grab, Z to shield, X to grab and L to attack. I switched X and L back to Jump and Shield, respectively, because I needed to focus on the Z and R switch. I'll eventually try out X for grab, but R started feeling quite comfortable after several matches, although I still messed up quite a few times.

I'm not good enough to use L as attack yet, mostly because I was focusing on the Z/R switch and I need more practice with the Luma de-sync as well.

Tap Jump and C-stick set to tilts are just so unnatural to me. I'll practice those eventually, depending on which character I settle on.
I think it's a good idea to switch slowly. It took about a week for me to fully make the switch between Z being shield and R being grab. Sounds like you will probably get it faster than I did.

As far as L being attack, I only use it for a desync Luma spin and only after I've started the spin with A. While I'm holding down A, I'll press and hold L, which lets me release A.

But I may start using L for frame perfect aerials. I can still jump with Y, input a direction with my Left Stick and then press L for the aerial. Haven't tried it yet.

Good Luck!

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Dream Cancel Dream Cancel Uh ya I got tagged. Setting any one of the shoulder buttons to jump is extremely useful for getting frame perfect aerials or just double jumping and attacking at the same time. It feels insanely awkward at first, but you get used to it if you put time into it. I've noticed my play improve quite a bit since I've started using this method of jumping exclusively.

But Zonderion Zonderion brought up a good point of sticking with the face button for jumping and just setting the shoulder button to attack. I suppose you could use this if shoulder button jumping is just too odd, but you lose access to having a C-stick for aerials while jumping in whatever direction.

Whatever you choose, just keep tap jump off.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I think it's a good idea to switch slowly. It took about a week for me to fully make the switch between Z being shield and R being grab. Sounds like you will probably get it faster than I did.

As far as L being attack, I only use it for a desync Luma spin and only after I've started the spin with A. While I'm holding down A, I'll press and hold L, which lets me release A.

But I may start using L for frame perfect aerials. I can still jump with Y, input a direction with my Left Stick and then press L for the aerial. Haven't tried it yet.

Good Luck!
I've had times while playing with friends that I had the default controls on both the GamePad and the Contollers that attach a Wii Remote. Those controls have R and ZR in the opposite position as the GC default controls, so I had to get used to them if I wanted to survive 8-player FFAs xD. (I changed them for the games afterwards, but it was still a struggle)
Dream Cancel Dream Cancel Uh ya I got tagged. Setting any one of the shoulder buttons to jump is extremely useful for getting frame perfect aerials or just double jumping and attacking at the same time. It feels insanely awkward at first, but you get used to it if you put time into it. I've noticed my play improve quite a bit since I've started using this method of jumping exclusively.

But Zonderion Zonderion brought up a good point of sticking with the face button for jumping and just setting the shoulder button to attack. I suppose you could use this if shoulder button jumping is just too odd, but you lose access to having a C-stick for aerials while jumping in whatever direction.

Whatever you choose, just keep tap jump off.
I'll likely choose to have Jump for L, since I would rather optimize my Aerials than the Luma de-sync. But I still want access to it and my R is set to grab... Hmmm, I'll test the waters and see what I come up with.

I really appreciate the feedback. You're both very helpful!

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
If anyone is interested...

I asked about control setups because I was still soul searching pretty hard for a main, even though I'm a veteran to Smash (veteran does not equal being good, just familiar lol) and played a lot of Fox over the last couple months. But I've come to a few conclusions and I have a few follow up questions.

So my current controls are default with Tap Jump off and C-stick set to tilts. I've been able to make the adjustment to tilt stick for the most part. Having to deliberately input Smashes will keep my aggression under control. But, I sometimes miss out on opportunities to close out stocks early with convenient smashes. That something I need to work on though.

I will eventually set L to attack (or something else) when I (git gud) feel confident in my controls.

My main question is about Z being Shield. I was adjusting fairly well to it, but after playing for about an hour, my index finger really started to hurt xD. I think I'm used to the cushion that R provides... My question is it possible to have optimal powershielding with a shoulder button?

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm experimenting with the claw grip. Kind of wierd but feels fairly natural.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If anyone is interested...

I asked about control setups because I was still soul searching pretty hard for a main, even though I'm a veteran to Smash (veteran does not equal being good, just familiar lol) and played a lot of Fox over the last couple months. But I've come to a few conclusions and I have a few follow up questions.

So my current controls are default with Tap Jump off and C-stick set to tilts. I've been able to make the adjustment to tilt stick for the most part. Having to deliberately input Smashes will keep my aggression under control. But, I sometimes miss out on opportunities to close out stocks early with convenient smashes. That something I need to work on though.

I will eventually set L to attack (or something else) when I (git gud) feel confident in my controls.

My main question is about Z being Shield. I was adjusting fairly well to it, but after playing for about an hour, my index finger really started to hurt xD. I think I'm used to the cushion that R provides... My question is it possible to have optimal powershielding with a shoulder button?

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm experimenting with the claw grip. Kind of wierd but feels fairly natural.
I ran into the same issue when I tried C stick set to tilts. I was missing out on several opportunities to end stocks. I am thinking about switching it back to tilts, but not sure yet.

Does anyone suggest tilts over smashes for C stick?

Is it possible to become proficient at having optimal power shields on a shoulder button? Yes. Is it going to be more difficult? Yes.

Just remember that the longer a button is considered "pressed", the less use you will get out of power shields. It is possible to power shield a move and continue holding shield which will result in the normal shield drop frames. This defeats the purpose of a power shield.

As far as your finger hurting, what is the nature of the hurt? Is it joint pain or surface pain?

If it's joint pain, then the location of the Z button just may not be optimal for your hand. If it is surface pain, from hitting the button a lot, you could try just using the shield button less. This means finding other ways to maneuver just out of range of your opponents attacks.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I ran into the same issue when I tried C stick set to tilts. I was missing out on several opportunities to end stocks. I am thinking about switching it back to tilts, but not sure yet.

Does anyone suggest tilts over smashes for C stick?

Is it possible to become proficient at having optimal power shields on a shoulder button? Yes. Is it going to be more difficult? Yes.

Just remember that the longer a button is considered "pressed", the less use you will get out of power shields. It is possible to power shield a move and continue holding shield which will result in the normal shield drop frames. This defeats the purpose of a power shield.

As far as your finger hurting, what is the nature of the hurt? Is it joint pain or surface pain?

If it's joint pain, then the location of the Z button just may not be optimal for your hand. If it is surface pain, from hitting the button a lot, you could try just using the shield button less. This means finding other ways to maneuver just out of range of your opponents attacks.
I'm setting it to tilts because I found myself using the standard analog + A more often than the C stick. Just personal preference, really. I made the switch originally because I was trying out other characters that benefit from Tilt Stick, and stuck with it because Analog + A works just as well for me.

For Rosa in particular, tilt stick doesn't offer anything that a Smash stick can't do, imo. Just the standard benefit of attacks that don't affect ground and aerial momentum.

Hmmm, I'm still experimenting with what to use as Shield. The only other digital button I don't use is X, so I'll try that for Shield and leave Z as grab for now.

And it was mostly surface pain, I just never pressed the Z button that hard in my life xD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom