• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Consistently Ken Comboing

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
This might be old news or new news to some, but ever since the landing lag patch it has actually become possible under a small amount of frames to actually ken combo either off of uair or nair.

However the problem was actually getting it consistently due to many factors such as staling and the opponent shielding or just not being near the ledge.

However I'm theorizing a much more consistent way of pulling this off involving bair's jab locking capabilities and footstooling.

Right now Roy currently has a combo where he can do uair to footstool and cancel the jump momentum with side-b, do it quick enough and in the right direction you can do another uair almost frame perfectly as you land on the ground. Because of that we gain the max amount of frames to work with and hopefully have minimal staling where we can pull off the elusive ken combo. So far I've tested this around 30-37% and I've been getting some consistent results on Mario.

So now someone must be asking, well what about the bair jab lock you were talking about? Well then the reason I mention that is because that is going to be the easiest way to get the uair footstool set-up to start working. Because doing this also gets the opponent more or less to the percent range we start to need them at and keeps them standing still this is the best possible way outside of baiting air dodges to get this started.

Unfortunately I don't have this recorded cause I don't have the equipment for that stuff but if anyone was willing to test it that'd be great.

P.S. I'm also theorizing something using this same set-up but on platformed stages. It involved using tipped dair or just sweetspotted dair after a footstool uair and landing on the platform with dair and linking it to an f-smash. This can potentially kill but it's only a matter of how consistent it is.

P.S.S. I was also testing this on a CPU so if someone has a sparing partner to test it with more consistently that'd be awesome.

P.S.S.S. If Roy did more damage on his aerials all this stuff would be more consistent period but oh well.

JCav

Smash Lord
Interesting topic. I've only pulled off a Ken Combo twice. From experience, it only works if you get the sourspot of fair. Here's an example from dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 that even made Play of the Week. ;)

https://youtu.be/kWsQmXJYy-o?t=11m13s

You can see that this was from a sourspot fair as well. I would agree that the percent range starts around 30%. I've briefly tested this and I think they might have to DI the fair towards you for the dair to connect.

I also REALLY like what you mentioned about using DED (side-b) after a uair footstool. When I tested footstool combos, Roy would go too high after the footstool to get any followups. It sounds like the frame window will be pretty tight, but it has potential.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
This most likely isn't very reliable cause of DED's big endlag, alot of combos work on CPU's cause they don't do their getups quickly enough, and then there's DI ofcourse. You're probably better off just doing up air to it's regular followups for more consistency.

For Roy Ken-combo in general though, it becomes a 50/50 with wrong DI, depending on opponent airdodge or not.
As for the clip, it included no DI/DI in. AND no airdodge, so this is something to keep in mind.

Something i saw nairo do once was roy upair to dair, which could work if they DI offstage but again, probably just one of those "it happens at the moment" combo's that you won't hit reliably.

This might be old news or new news to some, but ever since the landing lag patch it has actually become possible under a small amount of frames to actually ken combo either off of uair or nair.

However the problem was actually getting it consistently due to many factors such as staling and the opponent shielding or just not being near the ledge.

However I'm theorizing a much more consistent way of pulling this off involving bair's jab locking capabilities and footstooling.

Right now Roy currently has a combo where he can do uair to footstool and cancel the jump momentum with side-b, do it quick enough and in the right direction you can do another uair almost frame perfectly as you land on the ground. Because of that we gain the max amount of frames to work with and hopefully have minimal staling where we can pull off the elusive ken combo. So far I've tested this around 30-37% and I've been getting some consistent results on Mario.

So now someone must be asking, well what about the bair jab lock you were talking about? Well then the reason I mention that is because that is going to be the easiest way to get the uair footstool set-up to start working. Because doing this also gets the opponent more or less to the percent range we start to need them at and keeps them standing still this is the best possible way outside of baiting air dodges to get this started.

Unfortunately I don't have this recorded cause I don't have the equipment for that stuff but if anyone was willing to test it that'd be great.

P.S. I'm also theorizing something using this same set-up but on platformed stages. It involved using tipped dair or just sweetspotted dair after a footstool uair and landing on the platform with dair and linking it to an f-smash. This can potentially kill but it's only a matter of how consistent it is.

P.S.S. I was also testing this on a CPU so if someone has a sparing partner to test it with more consistently that'd be awesome.

P.S.S.S. If Roy did more damage on his aerials all this stuff would be more consistent period but oh well.
Are you able to use the Smash Upload feature? The Wii U can upload replays 3 minutes or less directly to youtube, so for labbing, you could set the timer to 3 minutes. I use a dump upload account for this.

I abandoned uair to footstool a while back because I suck at footstooling, but I'll look into it again.

And yeah, I think 1-2 % damage buffs on combo starters and kill moves would really help Roy a lot in general.

Here's a footstool vid:

DI likely butchers it, but here's some more reliable stuff:

JCav JCav

I have footstool vids set to private on some different combo starters into footstool, maybe I should finally get off my ass and start editing those.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Are you able to use the Smash Upload feature? The Wii U can upload replays 3 minutes or less directly to youtube, so for labbing, you could set the timer to 3 minutes. I use a dump upload account for this.

I abandoned uair to footstool a while back because I suck at footstooling, but I'll look into it again.

And yeah, I think 1-2 % damage buffs on combo starters and kill moves would really help Roy a lot in general.

Here's a footstool vid:

DI likely butchers it, but here's some more reliable stuff:

JCav JCav

I have footstool vids set to private on some different combo starters into footstool, maybe I should finally get off my *** and start editing those.
Yeah DI can butcher it from testing that I've done, as long as they don't DI left or right then it becomes significantly harder. However it's a question of whether or not they expect the footstool.

Anyways I've uploaded with the feature before but the thing is that it's really inconvenient for one and two just the lack of a partner to try it with makes it difficult. TBH I'm just practicing it getting it mid-match on for glory.

Anyways I haven't gone to testing it yet but I am speculating that this can be used to make platform dair to f-smash actually combo properly. The uair pushes them closer to where the blade is and we're already genuinely close to landing with dair in a similar fashion to when we dair camp on platforms as Roy. But I've to test it anyways.

P.S. Also Serew it actually works quick enough where they can't get up before you do the uair. And if they could it would require a very precise input on a certain frame since I don't think footstool get-ups can be buffered. Just an issue again of the DI and the staling.

P.S.S. If Roy's damage on aerials were higher I could theorize that doing uair footstool to dair to dair could be a new devastating combo but that's probably never happening since the patches are probably legitimately done at this point.

P.S.S.S. We need to keep complaining to Nintendo about Bayonetta so they can patch the game again and hopefully we can get lucky with some Roy buffs lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom