• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Consistency and Little Mac: A double edge sword

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I've been putting a lot of thought into this. A lot. I've played in a number of tournaments, including Out of State and large tournies(Genesis 3, Pink Fresh saga, Rise 2016), watched footage of myself and other macs, labbed, discussed, posted, contemplated, and more.

Why is Little Mac considered a low tier despite his obvious strengths? Why do Mac mains like Vash, Sol, and Alphicans do so well, then sometimes just lose randomly or do poorly? What is it that makes Little mac so scary, yet at the same time seem nonviable in the competitive scene?

First, i want to make a quick comparison as to how mac functions, and what he embodies. First, he is a grounded version of Shiek and Ryu. Amazing neutral and frame data, Spacing and kill confirms, reliable setups, crazy punish ability, and so on. His moveset on the ground is the best in the game, with the fastest frame data out of all the characters while grounded.

Of course, obvious weaknesses include his Air ability and offstage game. But this i think is only a supplement to little mac's biggest flaw. And ironically, it's not the fault of the character, but of the player.

That's right, im talking about human error and inconsistency.

Think about it. When you lose a stock, game or match, why do you do so? For me, it wasn't because i got outplayed, but rather that i made a mistake. A whiffed attack, misspaced move, flubbed recovery attempt, Missed conversion, nonoptimized conversion or punish, and other human mistakes on my end cause me to lose the stock or the game. I'm almost never looking at a match and thinking "i just got outplayed" but rather "should've fsmashed instead of jabbed" "flubbed that dtilt>jc up B" or "misspaced my up B recovery".

All players have to work on their consistency. But smash 4 is a generous game, where most character can get back to the stage relatively easy, and making a mistake with a character like shiek, mario, fox, Ryu, and so on won't end the match for you, and for some characters, won't even get punished for it.

On the other hand, Little Mac suffers enormously for such things. Losing stage control and being in the air is awful, and the margin of error is small for him. One mistake can cost you the stock, the game, the match to get you out of pools. It hurts, it sucks.

Consistency is hard. Even if you play one game perfectly, can you play the rest of the match like that? How about the next one? Even if you go all the way and win the tourney, what about the next tourney? the one after that? Can you continue to perform at that consistent high level play, without flubbing? Chances are, No.

There is a bright side to all of this. While I have been ranting about Little Mac's flaw, which is his Consistency issue, it is also his strength. A Optimized, and perfected Little Mac is by far one of the best characters in the game. He embodies the punch out series perfectly. One missed dodge, one missed button input, and Mike Tyson is knocking little Mac to the ground. BUT...Little Mac succeeds because Mike Never gets that hit in. Not once. The same Idea applies to Smash. A perfect Mac will never lose, because he has the tools to pull it off. The potential of this character is enormous.

When you main or play mac, you are entering something deep. The character grows and feeds off of your play. The better you are and perform as a player, the more powerful and scary Mac becomes. Mac, more than any other character in the game, rewards you for fantastic play, and punishes you for inept and poor play.

When you play mac, you carry a double edge sword. A glass cannon. Champion, or buster.
I don't know about you, but I want to do it. To bring Mac out as his best version of himself, and my own. Let's make it happen Mac Nation.

Disappointed Donger

Smash Rookie
This all is very true, but on the other hand if we look at low-level play Little Mac can take some hits and still be fine thanks to having 4 moves with super armour. Not disagreeing with what you say, but he's flawed in design, a lot of his design choices point to him being made for bad players who can do nothing but throw out smashes and side-B's and do just fine because of how tricky they are to punish, thanks to their speed and them giving him super armour.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
3 Stock makes Mac a LOT more consistiant, living in europe and having played with 3 stock for a long time, I can tell it helps him a lot.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I have been a huge advocate for 3 stock for such a long time, and it would help mac out tremendously.
This all is very true, but on the other hand if we look at low-level play Little Mac can take some hits and still be fine thanks to having 4 moves with super armour. Not disagreeing with what you say, but he's flawed in design, a lot of his design choices point to him being made for bad players who can do nothing but throw out smashes and side-B's and do just fine because of how tricky they are to punish, thanks to their speed and them giving him super armour.
Im going to be honest here. While i don't want to completely ignore or ostracize low level player or casual play, its a terrible idea to judge characters designs, strengths and so on based on low level play. I care about what little mac does at top level play, and his consistency at top level play. The rest is irrelevant to me. Would you make a tier list basing it off of low level players and their opinions? Again, not saying it shouldn't be ignored completely, but really, they shouldn't be given any weight at all in competitive smash.

Zackereth

Smash Rookie
Made an account just to say that this is something all Little Mac mains need to read. Whether it be after a loss or for some motivation.

Last edited:

vertime

Smash Apprentice
One mistake can cost you the stock, the game, the match to get you out of pools. It hurts, it sucks.
Well, that's how you play punch out isn't it? You mess up one time and WHAM you get clocked by Sandman. "Nighty night Mac."

Honestly, I wouldn't want Mac any other way. Not only is he a character that's essentially fuelled off your own adrenaline, he pays great homage to the original punch out games. Is he a good character in comparison? No, probably not. Is there certainly room for him in tournaments? I'd say so. You just gotta play it like punch out.

Top Bottom