• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connection type: LAN

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
Ok so in the original kaillera servers you need to have really low ping to use this type of connection or the game would go at 30fps or less.

But in this emulinkerSF server from EGX you can play with LAN connection and the game goes really smooth (at ~60fps if there are no lag spikes) playing with 2 frames less than with Good connection.

In my case, I can play with 9 frames of delay in the server having 140ms of ping. (I'm kinda (sadly) used to play with 11 frames in Good connection) so...

I'm think that there's no reason now to use other connection type but LAN. I know almost everybody uses Good 'couse that's default in the client, but if you kindly ask other players to use LAN and explain the benefits, we can make this to be the usual thing.

So... I'm into this <cause like> to make everybody use LAN connection type. What do you think?

Superstar

Smash Champion
So wait, if you use LAN, but you can only play on Good Settings, it'd for example make you "Good". So, now, lower settings only make a cap?

If so, we should get a group of peeps to go Good on Kaillera at the same time, and have EGX messages explain that. If not...XD

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
most people here in the Untied States use good.

Most of the non-noobs use excellent due to less delay.

Lan only works with some people but when I used it, it worked well

Superstar

Smash Champion
Hamachi is only good if you want the server room and you are too lazy to forward ports for P2P. You can't combine t with Hamachi.

That says it, LAN > Good. We should get a bunch of people to swarm in with LAN at the same same, with EGX server messages that explain this [I thought playing in LAN would be horrid for a connection such as mine]. Hopefully we can set LAN to be the standard. :D

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lan works well in EGX too, it depends on who you play with. I did teams against Fireblaster and Boom, and they had like 1 frame, I had 5-7 or so, and there was no lag. Maybe combine LAN with hamachi?
lol what?? LAN is for server connection and Hamachi is for p2p.

The only server with smashers is EGX and sadly i get 140+ ping, but with LAN i get 9 frames (playable), its very good for people with higher pings.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I only play on excellent connection, but if people find out that LAN is better I'll switch to that.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
lol what?? LAN is for server connection and Hamachi is for p2p.

The only server with smashers is EGX and sadly i get 140+ ping, but with LAN i get 9 frames (playable), its very good for people with higher pings.
Hamachi is not for p2p, hamachi fakes a LAN connection between you and someone else on the internet, which also improves playing p2p. Since the LAN option on kaillera is meant for people who are LAN connected (I assume), it might work well to use hamachi together with the LAN option on servers, but I don't know if this is indeed the case.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Hamachi is not for p2p, hamachi fakes a LAN connection between you and someone else on the internet, which also improves playing p2p. Since the LAN option on kaillera is meant for people who are LAN connected (I assume), it might work well to use hamachi together with the LAN option on servers, but I don't know if this is indeed the case.
It can also be used with a regular connection with a 60FPS capability through the internet (lets say, it could be named "better_than_excellent" or "optimal" instead of "LAN") and even if its meant for LAN connected people, it has nothing to do if you have LAN or not, and nothing to do with Hamachi

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
its simple you guys are looking at this the wrong way

Good - Crappy delay / low internet speed required
Excellent - Average delay / Average internet speed required
LAN - Best delay / High internet speed required

No matter what your ping....you can play any of these...IF your connection is good enough

Superstar

Smash Champion
Nixxon is right. The reason why Hamachi is for P2P is that it create a fake LAN connection, allowing you to connect through P2P without forwarding any ports [since it bypasses the firewall and establishes false LAN]. Meaning its a way to play P2P without forwarding any ports. It doesn't speed up to P2P, I hear it actually slows it down [since its not real LAN].

Hamachi is only good [in Smash] for communications, and a last resort for those that can't connect. For the earlier, IMs are good.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
yep, basically Hamachi makes the p2p meeting much easier without needing to go to server, wonder why there arent much people connected usually

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
So wait, if you use LAN, but you can only play on Good Settings, it'd for example make you "Good". So, now, lower settings only make a cap?
I'm still trying to figure out what you ask there =/

If so, we should get a group of peeps to go Good on Kaillera at the same time, and have EGX messages explain that. If not...XD
yeah, that's a good idea and for now on i'll be always hosting in LAN connection telling people to switch

@Lawrencelot don't take the "LAN" name literally, it comes from the original kaillera servers, but with this emulinkerSF servers you can use it just to have the minimum delay frames if your Internet connection is good

Top Bottom