• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confusion Follow-ups

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
What should I do when I hit with confusion? I know that aerial confusion can combo into fair, but what should I do if they jump away from grounded confusion?

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I don't use grounded confusion as an attack often, but I usually either immediately shield, go for a forward air, or read into an up smash depending on the character and how fast their neutral or forward air is. If you're facing a character with a frame 3 or lower (if one exists) aerial, I always shield at first and read how they react the next time. They may try and mix up their tactics and jump away instead, where I'll try and hit them with an aerial or punish the landing with up smash.

Confusion isn't generally a good move for following up though unless it's in the air like you said. For some characters, it may be best to just get the 9% damage and retreat.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Is Neutral air good?
ummm, yes? but not out of confusion. If they jump away they will not be able to be hit.

Can you still force them onto the platforms on battlefield? does it not work period or do you have to jump first?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm a fan of Confusion to Shield and then decide to do something after that.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Read what they do andvthen chase them down. If they're double jumping away it severely limits their options to land.

Sonicninja115

Read what they do andvthen chase them down. If they're double jumping away it severely limits their options to land.
If they double jump away the best options would be applying pressure with Uairs and Bairs right?

Though with a Shiek or Fast Faller I might just want to charge SB.

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
I know that if you do confusion in the air you can hit people with a fully charged SB, around 50% or so and higher it works as a combo. I don't know about on the ground though.

Edit: Probably should mention it works well when you condition the person to do an airdodge, generally people don't seem to be able to jump straight away after you catch them in the air with confusion. Could be that you catch their 2nd jump.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I know that if you do confusion in the air you can hit people with a fully charged SB, around 50% or so and higher it works as a combo. I don't know about on the ground though.
...it does? : O
BRB, training mode~

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
HakuryuVision HakuryuVision Just gotta point out that the training mode Combo counter doesn't work well for Confusion for some reason. You can do a Confusion into any attack and it will still count as a combo even if it's easily escabable.
Confusion to Shadowball would have been epic though!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aerial Confusion into double jump fair, or maybe even uair does true combo by virtue of not having to go through 5 frames of jumpsquat.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Aerial Confusion into double jump fair, or maybe even uair does true combo by virtue of not having to go through 5 frames of jumpsquat.
Im a bit sceptical about dj Fair comboing from aerial confusion since im pretty sure i have seen opponents act out of it, but i have seen multiple people say it so maybe you are right. Have you tested it or is it just theoretically?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Im a bit sceptical about dj Fair comboing from aerial confusion since im pretty sure i have seen opponents act out of it, but i have seem multiple people say it so maybe you are right. Have you tested it or is it just theoretically?
Ok, ok, I checked and it isn't true. BUT the advantage of aerial confusion is that you can potentially catch the opponent without their second jump giving them even fewer options to avoid followups (they'll pretty much HAVE to airdodge to avoid the fair, unless they have an aerial like Sheik's fair).

In general though I would personally reserve aerial Confusion for use near platforms since uair seems to do similar things but is much safer and easier to land.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Ok, ok, I checked and it isn't true. BUT the advantage of aerial confusion is that you can potentially catch the opponent without their second jump giving them even fewer options to avoid followups (they'll pretty much HAVE to airdodge to avoid the fair).
Yeah that's what im thinking too, also i think some characters doesn't have fast enough aerial attacks or jumps to counterattack or escape before the Fair connects but not really sure. It's probably worth looking more at which characters it's safest on anyway.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah that's what im thinking too, also i think some characters doesn't have fast enough aerial attacks or jumps to counterattack or escape before the Fair connects but not really sure. It's probably worth looking more at which characters it's safest on anyway.
It seems that aerial Confusion followups tend to be more successful than grounded ones because getting hit by one in the air is so rare that the opponent is shocked into not responding quickly enough to avoid the claw.

I'd imagine this would work best on characters not accustomed to aerial spacing with their forward facing options.
And I said aerial Confusion works best around platforms because you can potentially catch them shielding on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom