• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Conditioning your opponent's shield for the break.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
As I hope most of you know by now, the frames in which you're forced to sit inside your shield has been increased in smash 4. Not only that, shield breaker got a tremendous buff as well, and I for one feel it is very underutilized.

So I want Marth mains to start throwing out ideas in which ways we can condition our opponent to throw out that shield and get ourselves the kill, keep in mind that you sit in your shield for 18 frames now, so even if you don't break it, you're going to hit the opponent.

Before we continue, keep in mind that assuming you're using the setup for the first time, you shouldn't be spamming SB unless you're looking for some other forms of conditioning, but those tend to be weaker. If you see the chance to get it after conditioning here and there, you know you need to go for it, even if you might get punished. Frame Data has been provided by other users so look down. In the end, while shields do take longer to get out of, it takes 1 more frame for SB to come out than a shield drop, so you have to keep sharp of your opponent's patterns or condition them. You have 15 frames where the shield is vulnerable, so make it count with the extra charge.

So here are a few ideas that I want to put here.
-Pivot f-tilt: Keep on doing it until you opponent catches on, from there you can space yourself pretty easily with a shield breaker as long as you reverse it when running away or foxtrotting if you are capable of doing it.

-Dash Dancing and Foxtrotting: Yes it may not seem that practical, but doing it close to an opponent keeps them guessing whether or not you plan to run in on them or just move away, so applying the Captain Falcon mindset to our opponent, we might condition them to throw out that shield or roll. If you expect them to shield, you can throw it out early, and it normally catches people off guard. Out of the DD and foxtrot you can SH shield breaker while moving away and it should work while also covering the roll. You can also end the dash or act out of the foxtrot, which is recommended more with the foxtrot especially due to less frames lost and generally less of a disadvantage.

-Dash attacks: Not the most useful one, but if you tend to throw out dash attacks when your opponent is landing, you can condition them to fast fall and shield. You can also rush at them with a dash attacks when they are on the ground, that normally keeps them in their shield, which from there you can end the dash and SB, or SH SB.

-Jab: I already know a lot of us have been discussing the implications of the new jab and know that if the opponent is trying to land instead of jumping away, we try to send them back in the air or get a tipped f-smash. So if they know you're trying it, just use shield breaker instead since they might try to fast fall to shield. I believe you can also cut their second jump short since jab 1 cancels pretty quick into another jab 1, or at least from what I've felt so far since around mid percents I've comboed it into itself. Someone verify the sentence before for me btw, might be character dependent.

-Landing mix-ups: Just condition your opponent to throw out their shield when you're landing by attacking and switch to a shield breaker, if you expect a roll, just land normally or reverse it, whatever you feel suits you since you can shield after a roll pretty quick.

-The presence of a throw-able item: Whether or not you're the one using it or they are, we know that depending on the item, people like to shield afterwards if they don't feel safe. So rush up to them assuming you don't build up extra lag and pop their shield. Alternatively if is a character who likes to punish your attacks on shield with a throwable item such as diddy kong, wait for them to throw that shield out and instead of attacking it, use the shield breaker. Alternatively, if you're the one with it, play a footsies mindgame with them and force the shield out, so you can break it.

-Ledge conditioning: This goes 2 ways. Let me start off when you're on it. Just let go of it and FH shield breaker after conditioning your opponent to block attacks. The disadvantage of this ends up being you lose invincibility the second time around unless they hit you once offstage. You can prevent getting killed early form a ledge punish by using a mix of non beefy and beefy up-bs to catch them off guard, which also just happens to be safe for Marth if spaced well since you have a very small frame disadvantage. Now for the edgeguarding segment. Most of the time people throw out moves when on top of the ledge to edgeguard if they get the appropriate read. Throwing out those attacks means out of the 2 get-up options, the opponent is more prone to shield so they don't get caught in the attack. If they plan to shield it will probably be a normal get-up to shield since it is the least laggy. At that point your best option to throw out is the Shield Breaker.

-D-tilt to Shield Breaker: This one can actually get some people off guard completely since at low percents d-tilt can in fact combo or string into itself. Just one d-tilt into a shield breaker makes it a shield break if they throw it out, or a badly damaged shield to finish breaking with some other move. This is one of the safest ways to get it, but it does not tend to be lethal in the end unless right next to the ledge, then just get a tipper shield breaker. At mid percents, you can string into a foxtrotted or dash danced SB, which is a little less safe.

-DB 1, 3, or 2 to Shield Breaker, though 2 is the most recommend: This is kind of similar to the jab situation, but tends to be weaker due to the higher ending lag, I recommend using this near the ledge more since if you think they don't intend to land instead and shield, you can just do the next few hits of DB to continue hurting them.

Keep in mind that even if you don't break the shield, you leave your opponent at a disadvantage where one dancing blade string or just an attack will break their shield, so you're forcing them into a pseudo-tech roll situation, except slightly more options are available to them. Alternatively damaging their shield slightly and catching them use their shield after a bit of conditioning also does the trick, but is not a true set-up, it mostly works off of them just not fighting back with their attacks to trade damage. The set-ups mentioned above put them at a disadvantage where sometimes using a defensive option is the better answer.

Edit: Added some set-ups and edited some segments. Will be adding a TL;DR section later.

The following are from Vipermoon64. He is better with wording than me so if you fancy something cleaner, I have it up here now for convenience. It also includes Shield Data which is important. I will also add SB data from A_Kae.

Now I consider Shield Breaker an important part of my game and at this point am an expert at the SB mind games. I break shields at tournaments all the time.

- First, shields have 50 hp/% in Smash 4 and they take 100% of the damage of an attack in this iteration. This is why Shield Breaker in this game is so good by the way. The SB shield damage is absorbed full force by shields.

- Shield Breaker does 8 or 9% uncharged and in addition to that a +30 in shield damage (38-39 total). Fully charged it does 22 or 24% with an extra 50 in shield damage. From what I've experienced, I'm 100% sure that the shield damage gradually climbs from 30 to 50. It's not an instant "was 30, now it's 50" kind of thing. If you charge a non tipper shield breaker to 12% damage it does about +38 to the shield which ends up being 50 total.

- One other thing about shields is that they increase a character's hurtbox. This means your Shield Breaker will reach a shielding opponent at a slightly further range than normal.

- The move charges on frame 11 and gets released in 8 frames so the fastest it will be is 19. Slower than Melee (11 charge, 5 release) but same as Brawl. The hitbox only lasts 2 frames (8-9). Total frames are 52. 1 frame more than Fsmash but since this move comes out later it technically lags less.

- Tipper shield breaker doesn't do any more extra shield damage than non-tipper other than the slightly higher normal damage. So while you need the tipper for killing it's not usually going to make a difference in shield health.

- You never end up hitting a shield at full health because right after the perfect shield zone it depletes on it's own pretty fast. So as you can see, it doesn't take much charge to get the job done.

Mind games
Dancing Blade is a great way to set this up. The lag after DB2 is the lowest of all DB moves. Whether it's on hit or on shield, sometimes your opponent simply can't react OR more likely they're scared for the 4 frames they finally notice it and don't tell their fingers to drop shield. If they shield (not perfect shield) both hits of DB you don't have to charge SB at all! Enough time will have passed and enough damage dealt to get the deed done. If they get hit by both hits then it will take them a bit of time to get back to the ground. By the time they get to the ground and shield, your SB should be starting-up and/or charging. It does need a slight charge to break it in this case assuming their shield was at full health before.

You can also do DB1 > SB or DB3 > SB but those DBs are laggier so they don't work as well (though 3 DB hits will weaken the shield pretty well) but use these mix-ups especially if you think they expect SB only after DB2.

Dtilt and Jab 1 to SB was already mentioned. And landing stuff is obvious/already mentioned.

Have you ever hung from the ledge with your oppenent shielding right above you (or you think they will shield at reaction)? Double jump > Shield Breaker works great against this. Sometimes you don't have to charge this at all depending on the previous shield health and how long they hold it. You can either control stick down> DJ > SB or move control stick backwards > DJ > SB. The former will leave you close enough to get on stage with SB (aerial SB slightly boosts forward), the latter will not. Be careful for Smash attacks. If you get hit by one (or by something else) while trying this you already lost your double jump and will probably die.

One really smart way to break shields is on laggy moves. If your opponent whiffs a laggy move, charge shield breaker during their cool down. They are likely to shield on their first actionable frame.

Stand at the ledge at preferably tipper SB range if you predict a normal ledge get-up. Charge it. Shield is frame 1 so people like doing it after their get-up. This tactic is very good.

When your oppenent is on a platform this is your perfect opportunity to go for it. Like Smashville. And on Battlefield the platform is low enough and Marth's short hop is high enough that a SH rising SB is high enough to hit them/their shields.

Remember there is a turnaround B SB and a B-reversal SB. The former is inputted before hitting B, the latter is inputted after hitting B. Use them.

Tipper SB has 60 base knockback and 100 knockback growth. That is crazy high KB for those not familiar with KB values. It's extremely powerful even with barely any charge. Best of all it has a lot more range in the air than on the ground. It doesn't have to break shields. Punish with it. It works great against campers especially if they are near the ledge. People sometimes don't expect the aerial range of SB. It's not like they can shield it either.

Note: Marth has the lowest aerial friction in the game. Compared to say Jigglypuff, Marth will still glide in the air for a while after letting go of the control stick. This is what makes a falling shield breaker so useful.

And building upon the SB range, use it for reading rolls. Short hop forward or backward with SB. Turnaround and B-reversal are used here too.

After the break
They can mash out of SB probably cutting their stun time in half. I recommend using fully charged tipper SB for this as it kills much sooner than tipper Fsmash. Keep in mind that there are some really annoying characters out there. Ness, Captain Falcon, and many more like the wobble while in stun. This can cause your SB to miss. If it will kill, use fully charged Usmash or back hit of Dsmash on them instead. Keep in mind (IMPORTANT) your opppent's hurtboxes! Link and Bowser for example slump their head forward while in stun so you must be at a further range to get the tipper.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of all, don't use this move often. You want to keep it on your mind but make sure it's not on their minds.

Shield Breakers Frame Data

Shield Breaker (ground uncharged)
Frame 8- 9: 9%(+30) 60b/100g (KO@ 145%) 361° 1.6-Hitlag Pierce
Frame 8- 9: 8%(+30) 30b/90g (KO@ 228%) 361° Pierce
Max Damage: 9%

Shield Breaker (ground charged)
Frame 8- 9: 24%(+50) 60b/100g (KO@ 41%) 361° 1.6-Hitlag Pierce
Frame 8- 9: 22%(+50) 30b/90g (KO@ 76%) 361° Pierce
Max Damage: 24%

Source: http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

SB hits on frame 19-20 with no charge, or 78-79 with full charge.
SB ends on frame 52 with no charge, or 111 with full charge.
Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=120538987

Shield Frame Data
1-3: Power shield
4-11: locked into shield [11 frames minimum]
12-18: shield drop lag (7 frames)
Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-smash-4.381183/

Last edited by a moderator:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your post, (line breaks would help readability a lot btw) but dashing in to short hopped fair is safe on shield as far as I know, so if you do that a lot, you could toss in a shield breaker sometimes.

You could also try d-tilt -> shield breaker, but that's going way too far into gimmick territory for my liking

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I just posted a little while ago in another thread that SH fair is definitely not safe (better when retreated, but still not safe). However, you can act after fair in the same SH with a special move, such as SB.

Anyway, one thing i've noticed when trying to burst peoples' bubbles is that people tend to shield a lot in those situations where they are very near getting punished, and they recover just in time. Sometimes they roll, sometimes they dodge, but often enough, a juicy shield will pop up just so it can get murderously stabbed. So pay attention to those situations and see what they like to do.

Another thing I noticed is that quite a few players like to stay near to ledge to fish for those low percent KO/gimp setup throws and they'll be less inclined to roll away from the ledge, as they really want shield grab something. So if you can capitalize on that you may be able to turn around a quick stock (I've KO'd someone as low as 20% from a shield break near the edge, with rage of course).

I personally found a lot more success with SB when i've just done some damage to my opponent's shield, meaning i don't have to charge SB to finish it off, and it has a lower chance of being avoided since it'll come out faster. Almost breaking a shield with SB doesn't do anything for me... Oh, and I only go for SB's when a fully charged punish (usually SB itself) will kill. I view shield breaks as a kind of a once per match/set kind of thing, so i may as well get a kill from it. I'm sure i could land it more, but... it's just not my style.

Please don't be the Marth who spams this move, you're just letting your opponent know what to look out for, and your chances of landing it on a shield go down significantly (not to mention staling). Your best bet in landing this move will always be analyzing your opponents habits, when they like to shield, and then busting it out at the perfect moments. That being said, if you don't land a couple SB attempts, that by no means means you have to stop trying to land it completely. Just take a it easy with the SB's for while and reassess the shield read you thought you had and the way you went about it.

Also... some people will NEVER get shield broken by this move. SB is very reactable, and some people never seem to shield to begin with... so... yeah... I never like to rely on this move, but if a person is predictable with shield, and has been conditioned, and doesn't have a decent reaction time to SB, then i don't mind taking their stock.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Lol, I just posted a little while ago in another thread that SH fair is definitely not safe (better when retreated, but still not safe). However, you can act after fair in the same SH with a special move, such as SB.

Anyway, one thing i've noticed when trying to burst peoples' bubbles is that people tend to shield a lot in those situations where they are very near getting punished, and they recover just in time. Sometimes they roll, sometimes they dodge, but often enough, a juicy shield will pop up just so it can get murderously stabbed. So pay attention to those situations and see what they like to do.

Another thing I noticed is that quite a few players like to stay near to ledge to fish for those low percent KO/gimp setup throws and they'll be less inclined to roll away from the ledge, as they really want shield grab something. So if you can capitalize on that you may be able to turn around a quick stock (I've KO'd someone as low as 20% from a shield break near the edge, with rage of course).

I personally found a lot more success with SB when i've just done some damage to my opponent's shield, meaning i don't have to charge SB to finish it off, and it has a lower chance of being avoided since it'll come out faster. Almost breaking a shield with SB doesn't do anything for me... Oh, and I only go for SB's when a fully charged punish (usually SB itself) will kill. I view shield breaks as a kind of a once per match/set kind of thing, so i may as well get a kill from it. I'm sure i could land it more, but... it's just not my style.

Please don't be the Marth who spams this move, you're just letting your opponent know what to look out for, and your chances of landing it on a shield go down significantly (not to mention staling). Your best bet in landing this move will always be analyzing your opponents habits, when they like to shield, and then busting it out at the perfect moments. That being said, if you don't land a couple SB attempts, that by no means means you have to stop trying to land it completely. Just take a it easy with the SB's for while and reassess the shield read you thought you had and the way you went about it.

Also... some people will NEVER get shield broken by this move. SB is very reactable, and some people never seem to shield to begin with... so... yeah... I never like to rely on this move, but if a person is predictable with shield, and has been conditioned, and doesn't have decent a reaction time to SB, then i don't mind taking their stock.
Fair isn't safe on shield? Good to know.

SB in general is definitely very risky and I wouldn't advocate using it much either. SB scenarios just don't happen much at all.

SBs frame data simply isn't good enough to be breaking shields against competent opponents.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=120538987

Shield Frame Data

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Fair isn't safe on shield? Good to know.

SB in general is definitely very risky and I wouldn't advocate using it much either. SB scenarios just don't happen much at all.

SBs frame data simply isn't good enough to be breaking shields against competent opponents.

To get some frame data into this thread:

Shield Frame Data
Just to be clear, FH fair is safe on shield (retreated), but not SH fair.

So to emphasize my spiel on doing a little shield damage first before going for the SB, the typical competitive player will start to react consistently to moves around 20 or so frames and up. Most people have faster reaction times than this, but it's the combination of the move's animation, the sheer number of options that can be done, and mind games that can make it difficult to react consistently to moves 20 frames and below.

That being said, this means that an uncharged shield breaker isn't all that slow. But unfortunately an uncharged shield breaker doesn't break fresh shields...

So if you're adamant about landing this move against decent players, your best bet is to damage shields first, then go for an uncharged tipper SB.

So, the shield commitment thing makes SB better than it could be. The thing to keep in mind is that (correct me if i'm wrong), there are out of shield options (roll, spot dodge, and jump) that allow you to bypass the shield drop frames. So if you start up SB around the same time or after you see a shield, it has a low chance of connecting since they'll already be out of the shield lock frames and can roll away or dodge if they see it in time. However, if they start to shield AFTER you've started up SB... that's the ideal situation.
If they shield 8 frames or later after you've started an uncharged SB it's a guaranteed hit.

Edit: Shield commitment doesn't really help SB much since they can roll, dodge or jump oos anytime after the powershield frames...

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Just to be clear, FH fair is safe on shield (retreated), but not SH fair.

So to emphasize my spiel on doing a little shield damage first before going for the SB, the typical competitive player will start to react consistently to moves around 20 or so frames and up. Most people have faster reaction times than this, but it's the combination of the move's animation, the sheer number of options that can be done, and mind games that can make it difficult to react consistently to moves 20 frames and below.

That being said, this means that an uncharged shield breaker isn't all that slow. But unfortunately an uncharged shield breaker doesn't break fresh shields...

So if you're adamant about landing this move against decent players, your best bet is to damage shields first, then go for an uncharged tipper SB.

So, the shield commitment thing makes SB better than it could be. The thing to keep in mind is that (correct me if i'm wrong), there are out of shield options (roll, spot dodge, and jump) that allow you to bypass the shield drop frames. So if you start up SB around the same time or after you see a shield, it has a low chance of connecting since they'll already be out of the shield lock frames and can roll away or dodge if they see it in time. However, if they start to shield AFTER you've started up SB... that's the ideal situation.

If they shield 8 frames or later after you've started an uncharged SB it's a guaranteed hit.
Out of shield options allow you to bypass both the shield lock frames and shield drop frames. Jump, Roll, Spotdodge, and Grab.

I agree that SB is best if you can get some shield damage first.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Ok, edited. Thanks.
Also, because you can jump out of shield, you can also jump cancel, so you can throw an item, up-smash, or up-special as well.

I'm not sure, but I think you can do any out of shield option during the power shield frames.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Oh good we are getting people in here. It didn't notify me at all!

So the both of you so far have good points. I will go ahead and add d-tilt to shield breaker after getting some more info on when is the best time to use it. Are there any good percents to be using it around? Another I will be adding is shield breaker near the ledge, though that one doesn't seem to be too good without conditioning your opponent.

Also thank you for the frame data, it'll make me try to think of more creative set-ups with it. If the next patch comes around better start-up to shield breaker would be interesting since we gain a pretty strong approach option against campy characters and a situation specific OoS option.

Side note: You can act out of a short hop fair into DB, not sure about SB but if you can condition your opponent into thinking you'll do DB, you get a free shield break so that is something to take note of for now.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I didn't know this thread existed. I always meant to create one just like this. Thanks Solutionme.

I'd like to add a few more facts and a few more tricks.
@ Solutionme Solutionme If you can add this to the thread

Now I consider Shield Breaker an important part of my game and at this point am an expert at the SB mind games. I break shields at touraments all the time.

- First, shields have 50 hp/% in Smash 4 and they take 100% of the damage of an attack in this iteration. This is why Shield Breaker in this game is so good by the way. The SB shield damage is absorbed full force by shields.

- Shield Breaker does 8 or 9% uncharged and in addition to that a +30 in shield damage (38-39 total). Fully charged it does 22 or 24% with an extra 50 in shield damage. From what I've experienced, I'm 100% sure that the shield damage gradually climbs from 30 to 50. It's not an instant "was 30, now it's 50" kind of thing. If you charge a non tipper shield breaker to 12% damage it does about +38 to the shield which ends up being 50 total.

- The move charges on frame 11 and gets released in 8 frames so the fastest it will be is 19. Slower than Melee (11 charge, 5 release) but same as Brawl. The hitbox only lasts 2 frames (8-9). Total frames are 52. 1 frame more than Fsmash but since this move comes out later it technically lags less.

-Tipper shield breaker doesn't do any more extra shield damage than non-tipper other than the slightly higher normal damage. So while you need the tipper for killing it's not usually going to make a difference in shield health.

- You never end up hitting a shield at full health because right after the perfect shield zone it depletes on it's own pretty fast. So as you can see, it doesn't take much charge to get the job done.

Mind games

Dancing Blade is a great way to set this up. The lag after DB2 is the lowest of all DB moves. Whether it's on hit or on shield, sometimes your opponent simply can't react OR more likely they're scared for the 4 frames they finally notice it and don't tell their fingers to drop shield. If they shield (not perfect shield) both hits of DB you don't have to charge SB at all! Enough time will have passed and enough damage dealt to get the deed done. If they get hit by both hits then it will take them a bit of time to get back to the ground. By the time they get to the ground and shield, your SB should be starting-up and/or charging. It does need a slight charge to break it in this case assuming their shield was at full health before.

You can also do DB1 > SB or DB3 > SB but those DBs are laggier so they don't work as well (though 3 DB hits will weaken the shield pretty well) but use these mix-ups especially if you think they expect SB only after DB2.

Dtilt and Jab 1 to SB was already mentioned. And landing stuff is obvious/already mentioned.

Have you ever hung from the ledge with your oppenent shielding right above you (or you think they will shield at reaction)? Double jump > Shield Breaker works great against this. Sometimes you don't have to charge this at all depending on the previous shield health and how long they hold it. You can either control stick down> DJ > SB or move control stick backwards > DJ > SB. The former will leave you close enough to get on stage with SB (aerial SB slightly boosts forward), the latter will not. Be careful for Smash attacks. If you get hit by one (or by something else) while trying this you already lost your double jump and will probably die.

One really smart way to break shields is on laggy moves. If your opponent whiffs a laggy move, charge shield breaker during their cool down. They are likely to shield on their first actionable frame.

Stand at the ledge at preferably tipper SB range if you predict a normal ledge get-up. Charge it. Shield is frame 1 so people like doing it after their get-up. This tactic is very good.

When your oppenent is on a platform this is your perfect opportunity to go for it. Like Smashville. And on Battlefield the platform is low enough and Marth's short hop is high enough that a SH rising SB is high enough to hit them/their shields.

Remember there is a turnaround B SB and a B-reversal SB. The former is inputted before hitting B, the latter is inputted after hitting B. Use them.

Tipper SB has 60 base knockback and 100 knockback growth. That is crazy high KB for those not familiar with KB values. It's extremely powerful even with barely any charge. Best of all it has a lot more range in the air than on the ground. It doesn't have to break shields. Punish with it. It works great against campers especially if they are near the ledge. People sometimes don't expect the aerial range of SB. It's not like they can shield it either.

Note: Marth has the lowest aerial friction in the game. Compared to say Jigglypuff, Marth will still glide in the air for a while after letting go of the control stick. This is what makes a falling shield breaker so useful.

And building upon the SB range, use it for reading rolls. Short hop forward or backward with SB. Turnaround and B-reversal are used here too.

After the break

They can mash out of SB probably cutting their stun time in half. I recommend using fully charged tipper SB for this as it kills much sooner than tipper Fsmash. Keep in mind that there are some really annoying characters out there. Ness, Captain Falcon, and many more like the wobble while in stun. This can cause your SB to miss. If it will kill, use fully charged Usmash or back hit of Dsmash on them instead. Keep in mind (IMPORTANT) your opppent's hurtboxes! Link and Bowser for example slump their head forward while in stun so you must be at a further range to get the tipper.

Most of all, don't use this move often. You want to keep it on your mind but make sure it's not on their minds.

Edit: added SB frame data analysis, platform SB'ing, roll reading, what to do after the break, and gliding.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
To add on to that a bit, shields deplete at a rate of about 7.7 per second, and regenerates at a rate of about 3.8 per second.

Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Shield

Also, I'm not sure the SB does much more shield damage in smash 4 compared to brawl.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
To add on to that a bit, shields deplete at a rate of about 7.7 per second, and regenerates at a rate of about 3.8 per second.

Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Shield

Also, I'm not sure the SB does much more shield damage in smash 4 compared to brawl.
Edited my post btw. Yeah I actually think it does the same shield damage as Brawl. But it's the shields taking full damage in Smash 4 that makes the difference.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Edited my post btw. Yeah I actually think it does the same shield damage as Brawl. But it's the shields taking full damage in Smash 4 that makes the difference.
According to smashwiki, SB did 42 shield damage in brawl, 30 in smash 4. I don't know that the brawl value is accurate though. Total uncharged damage to shield in smash 4 is 38/39, brawl is 35/35.7.

I don't think you mentioned this in your post, so I'll just say that shields take 70% of the damage that a move does in brawl.

Great post btw. Lots of useful SB setups that I'll definitely try to work in to my gameplan. I've been using dashing assault instead of SB for a while now, but you've convinced me to switch back.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Shields don't have as much as hp in smash 4, but shield breaker got less shield damage, however it wasn't enough of a reduction to be considered a nerf, and is instead a buff.

So Vipermoon, I'll go ahead and add some of those and shorten what I've along with others put into a TL:DR section

I think the reason why SB has more range in the air is due to the movement but someone correct me on this please. I actually do agree with it being a potent killmove if tipped and actually acts a great way to cover someone from the ledge top to bottom since if they air dodge they will probably receive the entire charged up attack.

For A_Kae dashing assault is actually pretty bad and got an indirect nerf with this last patch since you can't jab reset, I really do't recommend it, and storm thrust tends to just be a much better alternative since you can combo into it and the windbox normally puts your opponent very far away from the ledge, giving you an easy time doing what Marth does best, gimping. Overall shield breaker is the best but for getting early kills from an alternative gimmick, storm thrust is just much better imo and has not been experimented on enough. Dashing assault is even bad at covering the ledge unless you space it properly to slide off it but because it has such bad ending lag it generally is not worth the time.

One more thing for Vipermoon, Idk how to copy and paste what you shared, but I do want to add it up there without having to type it myself since it can give more clarification as well and overall improve the metagame.

Gonna go ahead and edit the top post now. If I don't, someone please heckle me about it, I tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to this stuff.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Shields don't have as much as hp in smash 4, but shield breaker got less shield damage, however it wasn't enough of a reduction to be considered a nerf, and is instead a buff.

So Vipermoon, I'll go ahead and add some of those and shorten what I've along with others put into a TL:DR section

I think the reason why SB has more range in the air is due to the movement but someone correct me on this please. I actually do agree with it being a potent killmove if tipped and actually acts a great way to cover someone from the ledge top to bottom since if they air dodge they will probably receive the entire charged up attack.

For A_Kae dashing assault is actually pretty bad and got an indirect nerf with this last patch since you can't jab reset, I really do't recommend it, and storm thrust tends to just be a much better alternative since you can combo into it and the windbox normally puts your opponent very far away from the ledge, giving you an easy time doing what Marth does best, gimping. Overall shield breaker is the best but for getting early kills from an alternative gimmick, storm thrust is just much better imo and has not been experimented on enough. Dashing assault is even bad at covering the ledge unless you space it properly to slide off it but because it has such bad ending lag it generally is not worth the time.

One more thing for Vipermoon, Idk how to copy and paste what you shared, but I do want to add it up there without having to type it myself since it can give more clarification as well and overall improve the metagame.

Gonna go ahead and edit the top post now. If I don't, someone please heckle me about it, I tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to this stuff.
Shields have the same amount of health (50) that they did in brawl, they just take full damage vs 70% damage, so they effectively have less.

That's correct as far as I know for the air range on SB.

How did dashing assault get a nerf? Jab resets weren't removed as a whole, just Marth's jab doesn't do that anymore, so it should still work. Also, Dashing assault is good for long range punishes.

Edit: Just something to throw out there is that most people seem to think that SB lasts way longer than it actually does.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
The thing is where do you get a quick and reliable way other than jab for a reset? Jab was safer and quicker than any other possible options that exist. The problem with dashing assault is that it has way too much ending lag to compensate for what it does, it is basically a really ****ty version of quick draw that can't even combo or mix-up that well. It is also easy to punish on shield and really isn't good for tech rolls either because it is slow to start up and sometimes easy to just I-frame through when rolling or getting up. Also floor attacks are the bane of that move's existence.

Anyways working on editing the first post. Personally the customs list for EVO needs much more revising before being final, which nobody has gone through. The super armor quick draw Ike has is actually probably his best one since he literally needs to stay in your face anyways, so why not give him a gimmick that can punish hard and kill easily, also stalling tactics at high percents since when it is charging you have super armor. Heavy Dancing blade also got an indirect buff because of jab, making it much easier to combo with at lower percents since your opponent is close and heavy dancing blade actually comes out quick combined with the range and the fact it can't clash, it transcends. I mean have you seen a tipper heavy DB kill? Kills at like 40% which is pretty dumb and at super low percents you can get a 35% or even higher damage, it just removes the use of punishing with it entirely, but the buffs are generally worthwhile imo. Anyways let me stop rambling on.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Solutionme Solutionme

I cannot edit your post. I'm not a moderator. Okay why can't you copy my text? Highlight, copy, paste. It's even possible on mobile.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Owju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=120538987
http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

This thread has nothing to do with Dashing Assault or Storm Thrust. With that said I want to mention real quick that Storm Thrust is one of Marth's worst customs. Up there with Easy Blade and Easy Counter.

It does very little shield damage, damage, or knockback. If you check out my links it's also the laggiest of all of them yet they all share the same start-up. DA, especially is some match-ups is very good. You can punish ledge get-up, rolls, laggy moves, LANDINGS, and tech chase/jab lock. This is seriously an amazing custom! It covers long range it's crazy how long the hitboxes linger, if you check out the bottom link. It lags less and has less total frames than ST. ST lags like crazy (bad offstage) and Marth already has more than enough tools to edgeguard.

But please let's get on topic. If you're opinion is that ST is good despite others' beliefs, fine, but this is about breaking shields.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'm honestly not sure anymore with the neutral b customs, but year your point is there. Personally I've had more success using storm thrust but I could dashing assault helping in a Sonic MU. In the long run though I prefer SB. Anyways edited in some suggestions. I think I've summarized more or less what your post said, also wasn't sure if there was a plagiarizing issue with copying and pasting what you said anyways. Let me go back and see what else I can add from your post.

Edit: Btw anyone is welcome to make a new thread for it, it would look much cleaner if someone better at forums did it and would get more attention if it wasn't me. Especially cause the first post is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Locuan Locuan

Okay to make this competitive resource thread worthy I have the perfect edit for you @ Solutionme Solutionme

The first post does look pretty messy now so to fix that use spoiler tags, please. I put a zero instead of "o" in spoiler so that it doesn't actually make the spoiler box.

[sp0iler="Intro/Original Post"]
In here should be the stuff before the Vipermoon spoiler box. You can put an intro before this box instead of inside. Whatever you decide.
[/sp0iler]

Then: "The following are from Vipermoon64. He is better with wording than me so if you fancy something cleaner, I have it up here now for convenience. It also includes Shield Data which is important. I will also add SB data from A_Kae." or something, whatever you'll say

[sp0iler="Vipermoon stuff/whatever you'll say"]
bla bla bla
[/sp0iler]

You can add more for SB data and whatnot.

If you aren't up to it I can make a thread and link it to this one.

MY 500TH POST!! I kind of want to not post anymore so it stays at 500

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
MY 500TH POST!! I kind of want to not post anymore so it stays at 500
Hey, congratulations. 500 is such a nice number, I don't blame you wanting to not post more.

Anyways, about the formatting, edit the post and paste what's in the code block. No wording changes have been made, only putting stuff in spoiler tags.

Code:
[spoiler="Original Post"]
As I hope most of you know by now, the frames in which you're forced to sit inside your shield has been increased in smash 4. Not only that, shield breaker got a tremendous buff as well, and I for one feel it is very underutilized.

So I want Marth mains to start throwing out ideas in which ways we can condition our opponent to throw out that shield and get ourselves the kill, keep in mind that you sit in your shield for 18 frames now, so even if you don't break it, you're going to hit the opponent.

Before we continue, keep in mind that assuming you're using the setup for the first time, you shouldn't be spamming SB unless you're looking for some other forms of conditioning, but those tend to be weaker. If you see the chance to get it after conditioning here and there, you know you need to go for it, even if you might get punished. Frame Data has been provided by other users so look down. In the end, while shields do take longer to get out of, it takes 1 more frame for SB to come out than a shield drop, so you have to keep sharp of your opponent's patterns or condition them. You have 15 frames where the shield is vulnerable, so make it count with the extra charge.

-Pivot f-tilt: Keep on doing it until you opponent catches on, from there you can space yourself pretty easily with a shield breaker as long as you reverse it when running away or foxtrotting if you are capable of doing it.

-Dash Dancing and Foxtrotting: Yes it may not seem that practical, but doing it close to an opponent keeps them guessing whether or not you plan to run in on them or just move away, so applying the Captain Falcon mindset to our opponent, we might condition them to throw out that shield or roll. If you expect them to shield, you can throw it out early, and it normally catches people off guard. Out of the DD and foxtrot you can SH shield breaker while moving away and it should work while also covering the roll. You can also end the dash or act out of the foxtrot, which is recommended more with the foxtrot especially due to less frames lost and generally less of a disadvantage.

-Dash attacks: Not the most useful one, but if you tend to throw out dash attacks when your opponent is landing, you can condition them to fast fall and shield. You can also rush at them with a dash attacks when they are on the ground, that normally keeps them in their shield, which from there you can end the dash and SB, or SH SB.

-Jab: I already know a lot of us have been discussing the implications of the new jab and know that if the opponent is trying to land instead of jumping away, we try to send them back in the air or get a tipped f-smash. So if they know you're trying it, just use shield breaker instead since they might try to fast fall to shield. I believe you can also cut their second jump short since jab 1 cancels pretty quick into another jab 1, or at least from what I've felt so far since around mid percents I've comboed it into itself. Someone verify the sentence before for me btw, might be character dependent.

-Landing mix-ups: Just condition your opponent to throw out their shield when you're landing by attacking and switch to a shield breaker, if you expect a roll, just land normally or reverse it, whatever you feel suits you since you can shield after a roll pretty quick.

-The presence of a throw-able item: Whether or not you're the one using it or they are, we know that depending on the item, people like to shield afterwards if they don't feel safe. So rush up to them assuming you don't build up extra lag and pop their shield. Alternatively if is a character who likes to punish your attacks on shield with a throwable item such as diddy kong, wait for them to throw that shield out and instead of attacking it, use the shield breaker. Alternatively, if you're the one with it, play a footsies mindgame with them and force the shield out, so you can break it.

-Ledge conditioning: This goes 2 ways. Let me start off when you're on it. Just let go of it and FH shield breaker after conditioning your opponent to block attacks. The disadvantage of this ends up being you lose invincibility the second time around unless they hit you once offstage. You can prevent getting killed early form a ledge punish by using a mix of non beefy and beefy up-bs to catch them off guard, which also just happens to be safe for Marth if spaced well since you have a very small frame disadvantage. Now for the edgeguarding segment. Most of the time people throw out moves when on top of the ledge to edgeguard if they get the appropriate read. Throwing out those attacks means out of the 2 get-up options, the opponent is more prone to shield so they don't get caught in the attack. If they plan to shield it will probably be a normal get-up to shield since it is the least laggy. At that point your best option to throw out is the Shield Breaker.

-D-tilt to Shield Breaker: This one can actually get some people off guard completely since at low percents d-tilt can in fact combo or string into itself. Just one d-tilt into a shield breaker makes it a shield break if they throw it out, or a badly damaged shield to finish breaking with some other move. This is one of the safest ways to get it, but it does not tend to be lethal in the end unless right next to the ledge, then just get a tipper shield breaker. At mid percents, you can string into a foxtrotted or dash danced SB, which is a little less safe.

-DB 1, 3, or 2 to Shield Breaker, though 2 is the most recommend: This is kind of similar to the jab situation, but tends to be weaker due to the higher ending lag, I recommend using this near the ledge more since if you think they don't intend to land instead and shield, you can just do the next few hits of DB to continue hurting them.

Keep in mind that even if you don't break the shield, you leave your opponent at a disadvantage where one dancing blade string or just an attack will break their shield, so you're forcing them into a pseudo-tech roll situation, except slightly more options are available to them. Alternatively damaging their shield slightly and catching them use their shield after a bit of conditioning also does the trick, but is not a true set-up, it mostly works off of them just not fighting back with their attacks to trade damage. The set-ups mentioned above put them at a disadvantage where sometimes using a defensive option is the better answer.
[/spoiler]

Edit: Added some set-ups and edited some segments. Will be adding a TL;DR section later.

The following are from Vipermoon64. He is better with wording than me so if you fancy something cleaner, I have it up here now for convenience. It also includes Shield Data which is important. I will also add SB data from A_Kae.

[spoiler="Vipermoon64's Additions"]
Now I consider Shield Breaker an important part of my game and at this point am an expert at the SB mind games. I break shields at touraments all the time.

-Tipper shield breaker doesn't do any more extra shield damage than non-tipper other than the slightly higher normal damage. So while you need the tipper for killing it's not usually going to make a difference in shield health.

Mind games

After the break

[/spoiler]

[spoiler="A_Kae's Frame Data"]

Frame  8- 9: 21.85%(+50)    45b/95g (KO@  62%) 361° Pierce
 Max Damage: 21.85%

Shield Frame Data
[/spoiler]
That ought to be good.

Edit: And what it actually looks like in a post:

Mind games

After the break

Frame 8- 9: 21.85%(+50) 45b/95g (KO@ 62%) 361° Pierce
Max Damage: 21.85%

Shield Frame Data

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Thanks dude, yup looks good. Already posted my 501th unfortunately lol. Can you add my last edit in there please? The one that starts with "note" near the bottom. Thanks.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Thanks dude, yup looks good. Already posted my 501th unfortunately lol. Can you add my last edit in there please? The one that starts with "note" near the bottom. Thanks.
Ok, should be in there now. Are there any other formatting changes you would suggest be made?

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'll try and get to it tomorrow then! Also thanks for the contribution, you guys have helped me so far and I do believe this does warrant attention since I feel that there are tons of missed opportunities to just use the move at least once.

Anyways I say tomorrow cause I'm trying to to do what a hen does, not ashamed of it anyways.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Not going to be able to edit today or tomorrow, busy getting my first year of college ready. Sorry about that, also cool it got added.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Not going to be able to edit today or tomorrow, busy getting my first year of college ready. Sorry about that, also cool it got added.
If you had time to make this post you had time to edit your original. You just copy A_Kae's "code" and put it at the top. It literally takes 5 seconds.

@ Locuan Locuan Can you please edit the first post?

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Yeah, just go ahead. Sorry I didn't really read how to edit it, so I assumed it was long. I feel bad about that, but my attention is kind of directed towards college atm making sure I get through it quickly with the least amount of money wasted. Just kind of glad something I made garnered attention. But yeah go ahead and edit it.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Interesting topic as yesterday while fighting a friend's Pikachu I noticed how he learned that after the DB2 he could just shield it. And would do it always. So I noticed that and decided to trap him and SB instead of continuing with DB but the thing is that it's hard to know when the DB2 is over and you can use SH. Most of the times I'd go into DB3 instead of SB.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Interesting topic as yesterday while fighting a friend's Pikachu I noticed how he learned that after the DB2 he could just shield it. And would do it always. So I noticed that and decided to trap him and SB instead of continuing with DB but the thing is that it's hard to know when the DB2 is over and you can use SH. Most of the times I'd go into DB3 instead of SB.
You shouldn't be able to shield after DB2 as long as you hit.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Are you sure?
If you could shield dancing blade, it wouldn't be very good, would it?

Almost certain. If you're getting DB shielded, you're probably not inputting fast enough. About when are you inputting the next strike?

I think you can shield while being hit by DB4-Down. I know that some characters (Marth) can Up-Special out of it, maybe some of the heavier characters can shield it.

Last edited:

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
When I'm not too focused I know I can struggle with the DB inputs, happens often. Specially if we consider this is online playing so lag interfers. But I'm almost sure that this Pikachu (lightweight) shielded some very well timed DB.
For the sake of Marth, I hope I'm wrong.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
DB can be tricky because of hitlag but absolutely no character can avoid a perfect forward DB at 0%.

Top Bottom