• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning Aerial Cancels and the C-Stick: Lagless Attacks

Artos

Smash Rookie
The theory behind this is much like a kind of cross between Glide-Landing Cancel and Stutter-Stepping, and the results are interesting.

It appears that, when approaching the ground from a jump or an aerial attack, pressing down on the C-Stick (any C-Stick direction works as effective as any other) and forwards on the Directional Stick at (or just before, the timing depends upon the character) the moment of contact allows the player to immediately slide forwards and break into a run. There is no lag from ground impact-- it seems to be instantaneous.

Doing this too early results in a lagless dash attack upon connecting with the ground. Doing this too late results in a lagless smash attack upon landing (similar to pulling off a C-Stick smash upon landing using normal autocancel) that comes with minor forwards momentum. That is to say that there is little to no landing lag whatsoever. The run is short on its own, as is the running attack.

Certain characters (Luigi, for example) seem to have many difficulties and few benefits with this technique. Others have little issue. This may not have much use at all, actually; just throwing it out there.

If this has been noted before, I apologize.

EDIT: Aerial attacks are not even necessary. They work best in junction with this but are not required. All it takes is timing. The draw here is that it gives an instant dash upon landing to slow characters or those with great lag (that otherwise could not) and an instant dash attack out of landing to serve as defense or a continued assault for all those able to apply the tech.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Video? This could be a potentially game-making discovery. New L-cancel anyone?

Does it work with all aerials?

Artos

Smash Rookie
I'll try and upload a video. It might take me a while, what with YouTube hating me on general principle.

I haven't fully tested it on every aerial, but it appears that it works with most. Short-hopping into this would be difficult, though. Difficult, not impossible, as one of the best methods for this is to SH into a lagless running attack. Fox makes great use of it, as he takes advantage of its speed.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I tested it with Link and Ganondorf, who has some of the longest landing lagged attacks in the game, and it doesn't work. All it really is doing is just a buffer with whatever input you put in for the already near lagless aerial landings.

Or it just simply doesn't work for those two, or I didn't try hard enough.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This sounds like two things:
The new wavedash-like thing + buffering a dash.

To "Brawl wavedash", you need an attack which makes your character's body move entirely in a certain direction, like most people's Bairs (they extend their body in that direction). If you time it right before landing, you get a sliding motion.

Then you just buffer the dash.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
That sounds about right. I just played around with this a little and it is there, but its only a slight difference. Could be potentially useful for some, but not a gamebreaking discovery or anything.

Artos

Smash Rookie
I tested it with Link and Ganondorf, who has some of the longest landing lagged attacks in the game, and it doesn't work. All it really is doing is just a buffer with whatever input you put in for the already near lagless aerial landings.

Or it just simply doesn't work for those two, or I didn't try hard enough.
Yeah, it looks like Ganon gets squat from this. Timing it into a lagless dash attack seems to be about the most he would get out of momentum, and it seems that it only works with down on the C-Stick.

This sounds like two things:
The new wavedash-like thing + buffering a dash.

To "Brawl wavedash", you need an attack which makes your character's body move entirely in a certain direction, like most people's Bairs (they extend their body in that direction). If you time it right before landing, you get a sliding motion.

Then you just buffer the dash.
This can be executed with a neutral jump (purely up-and-down), should the need arise. Again, it may vary from character to character. Basically, it makes use of the lag frame (or lack thereof) at autocancel to automatically start the next attack.

That sounds about right. I just played around with this a little and it is there, but its only a slight difference. Could be potentially useful for some, but not a gamebreaking discovery or anything.
As noted, some of the slower characters might miss out on this. Faster characters (Pikachu, Fox, Falcon) get great results.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This can be executed with a neutral jump (purely up-and-down), should the need arise. Again, it may vary from character to character. Basically, it makes use of the lag frame (or lack thereof) at autocancel to automatically start the next attack.
So can the "Brawl wavedash". It's not about how you jump, it's about the aerial you use.

Artos

Smash Rookie
So can the "Brawl wavedash". It's not about how you jump, it's about the aerial you use.
I suppose so. But this works without aerials. I've found that all it requires is a jump; no aerials are necessary.

---

The draw here is that it gives an instant dash upon landing to slow characters or those with great lag (that otherwise could not) and an instant dash attack out of landing to serve as defense or a continued assault for all those able to apply the tech.

YouTube refuses to upload for me. I'll try tomorrow.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I suppose so. But this works without aerials. I've found that all it requires is a jump; no aerials are necessary.
If you want want the slide, then you'll need an aerial. You mentioned sliding in the OP.

The draw here is that it gives an instant dash upon landing to slow characters or those with great lag (that otherwise could not) and an instant dash attack out of landing to serve as defense or a continued assault for all those able to apply the tech.
This is just plain old buffering, then. It's been known since pre-release, I think.

Top Bottom