• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concept for Project x Zone + Smash Bros RPG (Revamped)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dunno if some remember me having posted a thread where I proposed a concept for a Smash Bros RPG times back. Anyway, I had a lot folk get quite interested on the idea and we made plenty fun concepts together to build on it.

Sadly enough it seems that it possibly too convoluted and on top of it, I realized the actual gameplay mechanic and the subsequent additions made it frankly too unrealistic of ever becoming a thing.

Around last month I got to talk with @ meleebrawler meleebrawler about Project x Zone 2 coming in soon - which then had me play the first game in more deep fashion. Eventually it led me to go back to this gameplay concept, and came to simplifying this into using basic gameplay mechanics of Project x Zone with that of Smash Bros, albeit combined with weapon types to aid further on the battle.

________________________________________________________________________________________

~ Formations & Battlefields ~
  • Player gets to choose from wide array of fighting units that can be grouped to teams of 4, creating “formations”.

• Formations go off on a map which houses “landmarks” for them to capture (or defend, etc.) These are being held by enemy groups, which have to be defeated in order to seize the base.

• When facing the enemy in the map or the landmark itself, units are placed on a 2D-like battlefield. These are areas with terrain that player- and enemy units are placed randomly on and fight on.

o There are also objects to interact that can house items, or modify the battlefield itself to aid, or hinder the units in it. (i.e - Question Block)

o All Battlefields are surrounded by a border which destroys everyone who crosses it. (Blast Zones - not exactly like in the examples).

[/SPOILER]

~ Battling ~
  • When fighting on the "battlefield", you can have up to 4 units performing to defeat all the enemies. .
  • Defeating enemies is done via launching them to each other, attempting to continue the combo with different moves until all moves are unusable (usually after one-time use) or the enemy's health is depleted.

~ Knockback Damage ~
  • Before you can launch an enemy, you must deal some knockback damage on it. This'll determine the speed of your launching, and the strength of your attacks are usually relative to the amount of knockback damage inflicted.

- Sonic performs his Jab Combo (LA1). -

• Each character has 2 Light and 2 Heavy attacks when doing standard attacks. Light attacks tend to usually have jab-like combos to extend them further, and usually possess helpful additional effects. If done with good timing, you can put in few extra attacks. Few also can be used on air.
    Heavy ones deal a sure-fire good blow that adds in good damage, but will push the enemy further away from you. They also tend to not have status effects.

• When you're done with your move, your turn would end. It then asks if you want to keep within the current battlefield you're at, or check the next one for support. When all units within the given battlefield have finished their turn, the game would move on to another formation on the other side of the battlefield.

~ Launching ~
  • When enough damage has been accumulated to your liking, it's time to launch the enemy to deplete off it's health!

• When setting for a launching combo, you should always check over the possible button inputs to execute your launchers according to your plan. Each character has 3 launchers: a Side Launcher, Up Launcher and a Meteor Launcher.

• When launching, the damage percent from your enemy will contribute to the speed and damage multiplier by every successful attack inflicted. By every 50% inflicted before launching, the damage multiplier goes up by x 2.
  • During launching, good timing of button inputs and improvisation are very important to make the best out of your launches. To truly master them, you need to learn each character's weapons and attributes in their attacks.

- After a super-jump, Mega Man can keep Koopa Troopa frozen midair via busting him rapidly. -

As you can see, the rapid-firing guns are excellent on keeping the enemy airborne for a short period of time. This lets other units get an opportunity to continue their launching combo.

- Sonic now finishes Koopa Troopa off with Sonic Flair, ending the battle finally for this battlefield. -

So basically, if you have fast hands, creativity and reaction time, it can be very fun to see how far you get with your units and their unified but fast, sequential attacking.

Other concepts me and MB thought to complement to all this were:

+ Specials - Basically those from Smash for Nintendo's characters and Special Commands for Capcom's. Each unit receives 3 moves, while more status-based are relocated to skills instead. Specials use their own meter (SP) for each formation.

+ Some enemies fight based contextually on the battlefield they're at, giving some depth to them like Mario & Luigi-games.

+ Status Effects are that of P x Z. (Down, Stun, Poison, Bind)

+ Pair Units are usable, but you can detach both units from each other, making the pair more spread out. Pairs are more of specific character-related, but more robust, and can share certain types of synergy.

Pair Units are more effective at racking up percentage and their damage multiplier increase more than that of Solo Units during launching sequence, but their launching capabilities are more difficult to time and both units take damage if they miss launching the enemy to the next unit.

+ Skills (1 per time, 3 in total to have options.) Obviously buffs or debuffs, some can modify the terrain or the battlefield's elements, some are like special attacks but more on the status move-side, and finally aid in attacking or supporting units. Skills are activated before going into the battlefield turn.

+ Depleting enemy health to the point they can be cannonballing to other enemies, like in Smash Run.

If I could sum it up, each unit can function alone or in pairs, with independent attacks that add percents to increase the damage multiplier for the launching sequence with other units in the battlefield. Some attacks are light and others heavy, which move the opponent in the said ways on the battlefield.
Some attacks and weapons used can keep the opponent locked airborne or move him in specific ways that can help to lead for another combo.

These then can be followed by a Special Attack or a Launcher if desired, depending on how many slots you have left to input a command still. Skills can be used before a battle, which go back on using the XP-meter from P x Z.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Alrighty! Dunno what to do with this all, but I merely just wanted to create something interesting looking for times where creativity like that would be needed somewhere. What do you think?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If we're going to use the PXZ statuses, are we also going to be using it's counter system (ie choosing your defensive response upon an enemy's attack at the cost of XP/SP)?

It'd be handy during launching sequences if holding a direction highlighted the character that would follow up.
And during attacks that hold enemies in place, you'd use the buttons to select which one to move.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If we're going to use the PXZ statuses, are we also going to be using it's counter system (ie choosing your defensive response upon an enemy's attack at the cost of XP/SP)?

It'd be handy during launching sequences if holding a direction highlighted the character that would follow up.
And during attacks that hold enemies in place, you'd use the buttons to select which one to move.
I suppose - though since the enemies are in the battlefields like the playable units, the system could be used to be tweaked a tad.

And I really like those ideas! Would make it much easier to do the whole launching sequences overall.

I dig that idea! Anyways, what characters would you like to see in this?
Like MB said, Nintendo joining with Sega, Capcom and Namco. Characters are sorta undetermined ATM as final, though mostly there's been plenty pairings hatched.

So far what seems most talked together tho (in fours or pairs) due coming back to them again since they have potential:

- Mario & Luigi + Reiji & Xiaomu

- Callie & Marie + Ulala & Beat

- Midna & John Talbain

- Sir Arthur & Takamaru

- Viridi & Devilotte

- Ice Climbers & Sasquatch (Possibly joined by Son Son III and Bashmaster)

- Blanca & DK + Pikachu

- Ganondorf & Demitri Maximoff

- Dante & Bayonetta

- Yoshi & Billy Hatcher

- Samus & Selvaria Bles

- Fox & Chun-Li

- Micaiah & Riela (Valkyria Chronicles)

- Peach & Morrigan

- Pit & Valkyrie

- Palutena VS Chaos Kin + Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

- Bowser & Astaroth (Possibly with Heihachi)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Love the Route 99 platform sprites! It's a cool concept and It could work if there's someone who has the skills and licensing to execute it correctly.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Love the Route 99 platform sprites! It's a cool concept and It could work if there's someone who has the skills and licensing to execute it correctly.
It'd be really rad, yeah. ATM though this idea's gonna be most likely stay what it is: an idea. (Or hey, maybe I could get a job and use the money from it to hire some freelance fangame developer to attempt buildin' something like this)

However, I actually had thought of stuff about this gameplay concept being made into a fangame engine, which when fully polished, could lead a way to decently create "episodes" with selection of characters crossed over for that episode. This way each character in these episodes could be worked on individually and possibly lead to bigger story segments being in the possibly similar levels to the official games this gameplay concept takes inspirations from.

I do wonder if it'd be difficult though to try building up something like this? If taking in that it'd be pretty much a turn-based RPG with launching sequence being sorta real-time (but still made that the enemy homes always to other units or even other enemies.)
And for most part, units attack in "single attacks", as opposed to multiple ones crammed to one technique like in the regular attacks, so it's easier to attack overall.

Anyway, since all the P x Z-sprites are apparently compressed into pieces, it would give nice way for unique animations fitting for different attacks:

Though there's also preset sprite frames:

Top Bottom