• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Computers much more difficult? Or still adapting?

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I find computers, level 7's and 9's especially, very annoying now. Is it just me but in FFA do they gang up on you? Especially in the Classic Mode.

If it's one on one I can take them out but in FFA I usually come in 4th.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yesterday I did pit my Wolf against a level 9 Peach. I must say, she was quite annoying to beat up. Almost each approach was blocked.

Of course, there were some level 1s in the brawl too, so most of my KOs came from the level 1s. But even they can be a pain; just not as insane as a level 9.

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, they do. Get to the second to last stage in classic, and then die. Watch as all 3 of them stand there and wait for you to come back. FFA? Try 3-1.

degreekelvin

Smash Rookie
Maybe I just haven't gotten hang of the gameplay changes in Brawl, but I've also noticed the increase in difficulty of higher level CPU players in Brawl modes. I can remember working myself up to taking on a team of level 9's back in Melee. Took some time, but after a while it really wasn't that much of a challenge.

Now it seems like 1 or 2 level 9's in Brawl knock me around pretty easily if I'm not at the top of my game!

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
The computers usually aim for the highest percent in FFA, along with a few other factors. I don't think being human will be their reason for ganging up on you though.
Nope they gang up. There's lots of good youtube videos to prove thsi and you can test it yourself by making stages with areas the AI can't get to but you can. You can spend a whole two minute match and they will spend over half of it all wandering around doing nothing because you aren't nearby. Likewise if you put smash balls on you can watch them fight for it and then refuse to use it unless they can hit you.

It's really pathetic and really takes away any fun of fighting AIs.

Cathao1r

Smash Rookie
so does this mean that computers are actually good for improving your game play?

Ants

Smash Cadet
Nope they gang up. There's lots of good youtube videos to prove thsi and you can test it yourself by making stages with areas the AI can't get to but you can. You can spend a whole two minute match and they will spend over half of it all wandering around doing nothing because you aren't nearby. Likewise if you put smash balls on you can watch them fight for it and then refuse to use it unless they can hit you.

It's really pathetic and really takes away any fun of fighting AIs.
Well if thats the case then its no different than doing 3 vs. you with team damage on. Kinda disappointing, do you know if its the same for low level computers?

Edds

Smash Ace
Well if thats the case then its no different than doing 3 vs. you with team damage on. Kinda disappointing, do you know if its the same for low level computers?
ive tried having a handcap of 300% on one cpu and they still went for me. same still happens with lvl6 cpu.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is why team attack is always off for me. Makes it so that the teammates can't hamper your work.

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
team attack on encourages your friends not to spam c stick / projectiles. Anyways i personally hate playing against cpus i don't feel i get better by playing them whether i win or lose because they don't play like humans (well they gang up, and run away now, but that doesn't make much difference). The only exception is lvl 1's when trying a new character, or against a lvl 9 cpu on evade on training.

Best101

Smash Ace
They should've worked on the CPU. Who thought that being teamed up on 3vs1 in a FFA any fun? I believe for that very reason is why you cannot play Brawl With Anyone online with 2 people on the same Wii.

Juanda991

Smash Cadet
yep, now the computer are kind of perfect, i mean that she is always going to do the perfect shield, always trying to spike you and grab like crazy, but is really easy to win that matches, only change your normal strategy and enjoy punching her. jaja.
PD : excuse my orthography, im not from USA

lilaznkitty

Smash Cadet
Sereitei, Soul Society >.< (Danville Cali)
If you use the stage builder, build a custom stage just for Zelda and her Din's Fire, you'll see that the CPU's follow you and try to go where youre at......I dont really have a challenge with lvl 9 cpu's when Im on Zelda/Sheik or Marth(my mains) theres no problem. When it comes to my secondaries(Lucas, Ice Climbers, Fox) we have a BIG problem

icicleblade

Smash Apprentice
I think that the lvl 9 CPU isn't too hard on 1 vs 1. I can beat them up pretty easily, but once you do FFA, there's a huge problem. They gang up on you. Whenever they get a dragoon, they will aim for you. Even if the other CPU's just stand there doing nothing. Same thing for a FS. I made a stage where a CPU couldn't get to me, and he wasted, like 5 minutes walking around and doing nothing. The other CPU's didn't even try to attack the guy with the smash ball.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Level 9 Computers are frustrating. Not because they are especially difficult, but because they are entirely inconsistant. Sometimes I will be able to pull of huge combos, and their attempts to evade ammount to simply immediately airdodging after each hit, leaving them vulnerable to the next one. And then other times the computer will go into "Cheat" mode and stop taking damage. They will block or dodge nearly every single attack, and only attack/grab while you are performing another attack. They also become nearly impossible to grab, edgeguard, or combo in any fashion.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I've actually found them to be the same, other than their bad habit of ganging up. For instance, I had a FFA 10 stock with 3 level 9s, as Snake, Marth and Lucas (main). I came in second with Marth and Snake, and 3 stocked them with Lucas.

Blizz

Smash Rookie
I think CPU's are currently difficult compared to Melee because Brawl's metagame is rather undeveloped compared to Melee, leaving us less room to become better than them.

As for Classic mode, I think it's intended that they gang up on you, as it's probably meant to be a 3v1 match. At least they can accidentally hurt each other.

Best101

Smash Ace
I think CPU's are currently difficult compared to Melee because Brawl's metagame is rather undeveloped compared to Melee, leaving us less room to become better than them.

As for Classic mode, I think it's intended that they gang up on you, as it's probably meant to be a 3v1 match. At least they can accidentally hurt each other.
They gang up on you regardless of what mode you play

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Glad I got a lot of feedback from this.
I can't have any fun on Brawl anymore because the online takes too long and tends to be too laggy to take seriously. The computers don't teach me anything. I only play with friends now.

And as for the challenge board, I decided I may as well not use any hammers and give myself more to do. Now I just have to complete 100 man brawl with all characters. How fun.

AsherXII

Smash Cadet
computers are without a doubt much smarter/harder than they were in smash64 / melee.
Try playing against a lvl 9 samus sometime, its pretty fun.

MikeyRules112

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0576-3704-6465
The only problem with the Smash 64 Computers were that if you hit them out of their recovery they don't try to Up-B again.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The AI has "common sense" now, so things you think would work on comps doesn't actually work. For example, if you charge up a smash, they will stay away from you until it ends. Or if you place a mine on the ground, they will make sure to jump over it.

I like it. It's harder to abuse the AI now. Still possible, but harder :laugh:

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
The CPUs from SSB64 were the best IMO. They had their problems, but they seemed to play fair.

In Melee, the CPUs were mentally ******** & so easy to predict. They slightly made up for this by powershielding 30% of the time & having superhuman reflexes.

The CPUs in Brawl are okay, but not as good as the 64 ones. They're not stupid like the Melee ones, but they still react very quickly & in FFAs they gang up on you (which is why I rarely play FFAs).

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
YEah, they do gang up on you, but I never play FFAs with computers so I never really noticed it....until I attempted Classic on Intense

Ants

Smash Cadet
lmao... melee computers were a joke...
play against a lvl 9 fox and stand at the edge with marth on final destination facing the fox...

grab, down throw, short hop, dair...

one life gone

at least this time around they seem to change their style a bit.

Drkfurryoverlord

Smash Rookie
I just couldn't believe it when they started ganging up on me. I had played 64 and melee before this, but melee only like for 2 weeks before I got brawl. The 64 cpus were the absolute best compared to brawl. I did ffa's all the time to keep practicing, they didnt gang up on you, and the cpus would fight each other exactly as much as me, however as i got to higher percentages, they would start to all beat up on me until I died, which is actually as close to human as you could get. The Brawl AI's absolutely SUCK.

I don't know wtf made nintendo do this, but i think whoever was in charge of the ai this time around was a little :psycho: :psycho: :psycho: :psycho:

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
The easiest way to win is to just jump off the edge, hang around a bit, and then recover with an Up+B. I use Lucas, so I usually follow that with a Down+B facing out or a meteor smash.

Dr Phil xX

Smash Cadet
For some reason i find the lvl 9 cpu's easier than in melee. it could just be that im getting lucky XD but who knows. in the ffa modes i seem to always be fighting two of them at once, maybe they do like to gang up on you

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
I think that the Melee cpu's were pointless. I absolutely suck. I'm not gonna lie. I have never played in a tournament, and my only real challenge was from a friend who placed in the top 5 at local tourneys. But the CPU was pointless. Any character would fall victim to my lead-legged Peach. I could play a 99-stock and lose only 1-2 lives. That's really sad. And I think it was because they were pattern based, Bowser on FD for instance: Turnip once or twice, a couple of Down+Y aerial moves, and finish with an Fsmash or Fair. It's so pathetic its not funny.

Just A Gamer

Smash Cadet
I think there's a few other factors. Aye, they tend to gang up, but about occasionally they'll target another CPU...There's probably a huge factor (besides cpu vs. human) that we're missing, and we just don't know because we tend to do whatever said factor is.

Top Bottom