• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Computer Engineer VS Computer Science major

Morin0

Smash Lord
Hello, I was wondering if there's someone here that could help me.

What is the difference between a computer engineer and a computer science major? I've researched online a bit and I have a somewhat good grasp on the differences but I need input from people who are in the know (e.g., actually a computer engineer etc).

Which one of these would you recommend? Better job sustainability? Both of these fields really interest me but I can't do both unfortunately.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Computer engineer is a career.

Computer science major is a student in college. You don't have a career as a comp sci major.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Right, so if you are a comp sci major you can ultimately be a software engineer? Or what careers can you do with comp sci? I was under the impression both are majors in a college, though.

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I was a comp sci major and I have a career...

From what I could tell by the curricula, computer engineering featured a couple of hardware-based courses as opposed to the almost-entirely software-oriented computer science program. With that in mind, I figure it's something like a middle ground between electrical engineering and computer science.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Same for my University, Sight. Computer Science and Computer Engineering were very similar, save that Computer Engineering was more focused on hardware. Computer Science focused on software.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I had the same dilemma. Decided on Comp Sci because there are a lot of bull**** engineering courses required for the Comp Eng major. Jobs you get with either major can be similar though Eng is usually more on the hardware side of things.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
if u can't make a choice then u should do comp eng since:
comp eng = comp sci + engineering classes.
But this obviously depends on where u go to school. To be honest, you really don't need a BS or anything if u want to become a software engineer. You just need to show that you know how to code and work and get things done.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
CE major at UIUC here. I'm officially EE at the moment, but I will be graduating as a CE in December.

some universities have CS in their engineering college in addition to the liberal arts college, so make sure to check the differences in those programs.

CompE = CS + EE hybrid. A lot more understanding of the hardware than CS, but more coding than EE. This sets you up well to do stuff like kernel code and firmware especially well compared to CS or EE guys, but as a CompE major you can apply for the same jobs as CS or EE guys depending on which classes you take in addition to whatever niche you might fall under.

Not sure I agree with Vionce's logic. If you're not too interested in hardware/low-level programming, there's no reason to do CE over CS. There's a much higher likelihood that in CE you will take a class that you have absolutely no interest in. (IE: taking a fields and waves class or a signal processing class when you just want to focus on software.)

Jobwise, if 2 ppl are theoretically equally talented and work just as hard and happen to be just as lucky, I think the difference in CE and CS majors' compensation and job stability is very negligible, especially if you consider that CEs can get almost any job CS majors can get. CE has a higher average starting salary than CS, but not by a whole lot, and i think CS majors are a little happier on average so it balances out approximately. Overall, don't use this paragraph's information to make your decision on what you're studying.

Figure out if you're interested in low level software (OSs, drivers, firmware) and/or hardware. If so, do CE. If not, do CS. Worst comes to worst, you switch majors. If you switch from CS to CE or vice versa before 2nd semester sophomore year at my school I'm pretty sure you suffer basically no penalty in terms of being behind on curricula or having taken classes you didn't need.

Paranite

Smash Rookie
Figure out if you're interested in low level software (OSs, drivers, firmware) and/or hardware. If so, do CE. If not, do CS. Worst comes to worst, you switch majors. If you switch from CS to CE or vice versa before 2nd semester sophomore year at my school I'm pretty sure you suffer basically no penalty in terms of being behind on curricula or having taken classes you didn't need.
^ Yeah basically this. CE and CS have so many similar overlapping classes you can just go in not really knowing (or even really caring) which one you'll end up doing, and you can easily decide later.

Top Bottom