• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

complimentary secondary?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You guys have any ideas for a secondary? olimar will always be my main, but I'd like to see y'alls opinions on a complimentary secondary to back olimar up as a counterpick character.

I'm looking for a character that's good against the popular characters that are good against olimar(esp. MK). I was leaning towards pikachu, lucario, G&W, and falco. I don't want to trust the guys on the matchup chart thread b/c i found many mistakes in it and they won't fix it??(huh? snake good v olimar. buncha bologna)

-when i say better i mean better [than olimar in the matchup]

pikachu- a quick character, a lil better against the quicker chars in brawl such as MK and squirtle
lucario- an odd character, i'm a little bias on this one :)
G&W- good v rob,ic, and wolf(especially, in my opinion)
falco- and interesting one. better v marth, ic, and kirby

Whom do you play with other than olimar and why?

(if you don't main or secondary pick olimar then please don't give your opinion on this question)

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
A good secondary character to Olimar is Marth.

Not only is Marth extremely good, but he's also very similar to Olimar. They both have powerful forward-airs. Both of their spiking attacks are their down-airs. Because of Olimar's Pikmin and Marth's sword, all of their attacks have a lot of range to them.

You will find that the transition from Olimar to Marth, and vice versa, is quite smooth and comfortable. Try it out. :)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
hmm thanks guys,

to gaz-i've played marth. i hate to say this, but he's hard to use :p. this is from playing against MK and sheik though. maybe i'm just bias towards marth b/c i hated his playing style in melee. his grab range isn't very good, and recovery isn't so hot either. he's a good char though w/ a sword and i'll be sure to look into him.

olimar fan(love the name, haha)- how do you change to ZZS before the fight begins? from looking at the matchup chart on another thread(b/c i know just about nothing about ZZS) her matchups are horrible for counterpicking. :( she's supposedly bad against the exact chars olimar's bad against. so idk about her. cool videos though. thanks for sharing them. :L)

~thanks

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I have GW as my secondary, and lucas is also pretty good against wolfs kind of lol. But GW is my main compliment character.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
hmm thanks guys,

to gaz-i've played marth. i hate to say this, but he's hard to use :p. this is from playing against MK and sheik though. maybe i'm just bias towards marth b/c i hated his playing style in melee. his grab range isn't very good, and recovery isn't so hot either. he's a good char though w/ a sword and i'll be sure to look into him.

olimar fan(love the name, haha)- how do you change to ZZS before the fight begins? from looking at the matchup chart on another thread(b/c i know just about nothing about ZZS) her matchups are horrible for counterpicking. :( she's supposedly bad against the exact chars olimar's bad against. so idk about her. cool videos though. thanks for sharing them. :L)

~thanks
:D Yay someone thinks my name is cool
You can start a match as ZSS by holding down a shield button between the character select screen and the stage selection menu. This can also be done for controllers in the slot of a CPU opponent to have them start as ZSS.
ZSS has done reasonably well in tournaments and she's fast, agile, has good range, and has excellent combos...what more can you ask? Answer: FALCON PIKMIN LOL

asob4

Smash Champion
i don't really have a second, but i would say it is metaknight, just because he's so easy to use that the change doesn't really matter. i usually stay olimar the whole time so i can get used to the bad match-ups

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
hmm thanks guys,

~thanks
BTW, ZSS can beat Marth and Pit,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSmQlyP3Ra0 (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSbP8Yiqdk (Pit)

Thus, it really depends on the player: A good ZSS Player can take on anyone

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Guess I've never faced a good ZSS then.

I think that you should take up Snake or Sonic. I'm using those two as my 2nd line of defense.
The main reasons for these two:
1) You loved the Complexity that is Olimar so Snake should be right up that alley. Stage Control and prediction and closing off areas is what I love about Snake and just cool.

2) Sonic has speed, THE fastest in the game and not terribly hard to learn. He's really nice when you want to make sure the opponent doesn't get any breathing room at all, except when you knock them off the stages, happens a lot.

Those are my two others, I use Ganon as well but he's a bit more difficult to use than any other character in SSBB IMO.

Also if you just want to grab, there's IC. I never had a problem killing once I got a grab, literally its Forward throw across the stage for me and Forward air. That's all you have to do and it kills.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
A good secondary character to Olimar is Marth.

Not only is Marth extremely good, but he's also very similar to Olimar. They both have powerful forward-airs. Both of their spiking attacks are their down-airs. Because of Olimar's Pikmin and Marth's sword, all of their attacks have a lot of range to them.

You will find that the transition from Olimar to Marth, and vice versa, is quite smooth and comfortable. Try it out. :)
Weird. Pikmin has a great distance-game and so on, Marth has no projectiles whatsoever? I liked Marth in Melee, I like Marth in Brawl but I just don't see me 2ndary'ing (lol) him because I'm used to projectiles now.

A good secondary... Well, I've been wondering the same thing. Toon Link seems to work for me, Pit as well. Both have a /semi/ good projectile game and could be great counterpicks.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Peach is my other main. Mostly because when I transitioned from Melee, I didn't like the new Zelda. (I mained Zelda in melee) I originally wanted to main Dedede, and my brother originally wanted to main Olimar. I had enough of matchups that played that way from Melee... So I tried a bunch of new characters and Peach was the first one I liked to play against Olimar.

After a bit of messing around with Olimar, I liked playing him. And now my brother wants to play every character. So here I am now....

I'm not saying that Peach will be good for you. Depends what you like in a character. But that's who else I play.

I'm curious about who people think would be a good 3rd for me. I like super floaty characters, medium to slow speed, and a way to approach if I want to.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm curious about who people think would be a good 3rd for me. I like super floaty characters, medium to slow speed, and a way to approach if I want to.
interesting...in the dictionary, that's what you'll find under luke-are-eeo. Give him a try, he has a lot of priority, he's floaty, and has many approaches. dare to abuse his dair. ;)

i've sworn not to pick up MK because i think he's too popular. And i want to be original. Am i being normal by wanting to be original?(let that settle in before you read anymore)

snake- i've used him. my brother mains him now and it'd be weird to use my brothers main b/c he'll probably always be better with the char than i'd ever be(unless i put the time into snake as much as i do olimar :))

sonic- sorry Dr. Hyde, but sonic has very little priority and i'm never going to get over it. I love playing noobs with sonic b/c i'll usually hit first, so priority doesn't matter. other than that, he's really fast, and everyone likes that in a character, and he doesn't have a lot of good finishers. that's what i like in a character:speed, priority, finishers. olimar has plenty of all three.

peach- maybe i should try out peach. i havn't used her much...

marth-"Marth has no projectiles whatsoever?"-jarri. he doesn't need any. he has an overlydrawn approach game that eliminates any need for projectiles. I'll consider marth. you're right gaz, he does feel similiar to olimar in many ways. the sword is confusing though.(don't ask)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yeah, I like Lucario too. Haven't played him seriously in over a month though, but i'll probably give him a try again.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
particularly, i'm looking at olimar's matchups and trying to find who would be a smart char to counterpick against olimar's worst matchups such as rob, ic, and wolf. [/, and yoshi? for some reason, says IvanEva's matchup chart]

(ex. GaW is clearly better than olimar against ic(can't really grab ic effectively with olimar),and rob.(GaW can outprioritize rob where olimar can't)

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
Well my secondary is ROB, long range, hes an Olimar counter.

He's good in the air, nice ground game. If you master him he can be quite lethal.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ugghh, have i made this confusing? i guess so...
when i mean complememtary secondary, I mean a character that works well against a said character if olimar has a disadvantage against that said character. I don't mean "who can counter olimar well." i was thinking about rob being a choice though...

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Well in Melee i mained Peach and I tried to bring that over to Brawl... adly her awesomeness is no longer there.

SO my new secondaries are Wolf/Lucas.

Wolf because his combois are amazingly easy to pull of and he actually has some heaviness although it doesn't play out that way.

Lucas because his tilts are soooo sexy and combos aern't that easy to pull of but become easier when you use his great grabs.

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
ugghh, have i made this confusing? i guess so...
when i mean complememtary secondary, I mean a character that works well against a said character if olimar has a disadvantage against that said character. I don't mean "who can counter olimar well." i was thinking about rob being a choice though...
I was saying that because he counters Olimar. He counters most of Olimars counters. If that makes sense.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
My picks are Olly, Marth - he's very similar to Olly and he's good against the people that olly is bad against. Boozer - almost no one knows how to play against a good boozer - really good pick in very specific situations and finally - Fox - another character that beats Olly counters.

But what you are specifically looking for is a character that beats people who beat Olly - otherwise, why play anyone else in a competitive environment?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was saying that because he counters Olimar. He counters most of Olimars counters. If that makes sense.
so tell me if i get this right:

rob counters olimar so he's good against olimar's weaknesses? that doesn't make sense...hmm no it doesn't please explain.
or...
is it that rob counters olimar and you don't think you'd win olimar v olimar?
+he's a good character altogether?

shrinkray21:4410692 said:
But what you are specifically looking for is a character that beats people who beat Olly - otherwise, why play anyone else in a competitive environment?
exactly.:p(before the gross tongue pops out and spits at you) playing with a different character other than olimar against someone who isn't better in a fight with olimar IS pointless. i'm looking for THAT character. So far, i'm leaning towards GaW b/c he counters ic, rob, and sheik well.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
particularly, i'm looking at olimar's matchups and trying to find who would be a smart char to counterpick against olimar's worst matchups such as rob, ic, and wolf. [/, and yoshi? for some reason, says IvanEva's matchup chart]

(ex. GaW is clearly better than olimar against ic(can't really grab ic effectively with olimar),and rob.(GaW can outprioritize rob where olimar can't)
I don't really think that chart is very reliable: Olimar has no problems with ROB and Snake (Or at least I don't have any difficultly).

Let us assume your friend is a good Marth player and keeps beating you (Olimar). This time you face her, however, you want to choose a different character that she has likely not fought against. Answer: Choose Marth. Most people are caught unprepared when you choose the SAME CHARACTER.

Thus, if someone uses Snake and you want to catch him/her off guard, USE SNAKE ALSO.

When caught off-guard, the opponent starts to 'spray' their moves, because they are unsure of what to do. Their tactics are not as sharp as they were before.

HOWEVER
This is not always the case. Some players are aware of this and practice against other players who choose the same character. My suggestion? Choose a character which has a distinct advantage.

(P.S. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION)

Ulciroa

Smash Cadet
I main lucario and secondary Oli. I can easily transfer my Lucario playstyle over to Oli. Lucario is similar to the speed of Oli, and it's easier to pick him up after Oli.

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
My secondary against Ollys worst match ups would prolly be Ike. Dunno why I'm just good with him and he has crazy range and power, and for some reason most of the characters Olly is bad against I can out do with Ike. This is juts me personally, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for anyone else.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks for all the attention this thread is getting!

Anyways, i don't rely on the chart at all. I only pointed out that it says yoshi is good v oly? idk, but i rely on my own experience. Rob is good at getting in olimar's face and his priority is pretty nice too. I do think snake is an easy matchup v olimar, and i tried to argue this point on the matchup chart thread, but it keeps getting knocked down. If other people would join the cause, then maybe we could turn it around. From my own experience i've seen that rob is good v olimar, and so marth, ic, and MK(if they know how to pressure olimar correctly) GaW is working wonders as of now and I might be sold on his one.

to Ulciroa- I used to main Lucario, but i just don't like his style very much. I'd rather not sacrifice ground game for a nasty priority game. I just don't think it'll work in the long run. He's fun to use though, sometimes.

to Olimar fan- haha, just yesterday i did a match with my friend with both of us playing olimar. IT WAS THE HARDEST MATCH OF MY LIFE. I was so confused, it wasn't funny at all. If you can't tell, he beat me, yes. His first time ever using him. He had played against my olimar so many times that he learned the ins and outs on how to play against me, and how to play AS olimar. I had no clue how good olimar is and how to play AGAINST him. He spammed fsmash, grab, and upsmash. no tilts, nada. only those three moves. This is an aspect to my game that I KNOW i need to improve on. Everyone should practice this matchup. It has the same chance of happening as does any other matchup you may encounter. After the first time though, I got the hang of it. I just had to play more defensively, b/c i knew how to throw pikmen better than he did. This is REALLY what it came down to. So...yes i totally agree with you olimar fan. It worked well for my friend at least.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Hehe I'm glad to have helped out an Olimar pro! It's all about tactics, m'boy!

(Waah I'm AUS I WANT BRAWL NOW NOW NOW)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
to Olimar fan- haha, just yesterday i did a match with my friend with both of us playing olimar. IT WAS THE HARDEST MATCH OF MY LIFE. I was so confused, it wasn't funny at all. If you can't tell, he beat me, yes. His first time ever using him. He had played against my olimar so many times that he learned the ins and outs on how to play against me, and how to play AS olimar. I had no clue how good olimar is and how to play AGAINST him. He spammed fsmash, grab, and upsmash. no tilts, nada. only those three moves. This is an aspect to my game that I KNOW i need to improve on. Everyone should practice this matchup. It has the same chance of happening as does any other matchup you may encounter. After the first time though, I got the hang of it. I just had to play more defensively, b/c i knew how to throw pikmen better than he did. This is REALLY what it came down to. So...yes i totally agree with you olimar fan. It worked well for my friend at least.
Why do you think I play Peach vs. Olimar and only play Olimar against their secondaries? Same with my brother and everyone else I've ever met who plays the character, they all have secondaries if for no other reason than to avoid this ditto.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hehe I'm glad to have helped out an Olimar pro!
(Waah I'm AUS I WANT BRAWL NOW NOW NOW)
he eh...i'm technically not pro as of yet. I haven't actually won "money" persay...

you don't have brawl yet? wow. you post a lot for a non-player.

shanus

Smash Hero
I main olimar, I also love to play D3 and MK I tend to stick to the characters which tend to have nice combo ability reminiscent of the old melee days.

D3 wall of pain is so satisfying and combos to shuttle loop as MK never seem to get old.

Chipmunk

Smash Rookie
Secondary

If you are looking for a good counter and can learn a different play style, I would go with Lucario. He's really good against MK and can handle many of your other matchup problems well because he has a counter and KO projectile. Seems to work for me.

Chippy

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
he eh...i'm technically not pro as of yet. I haven't actually won "money" persay...

you don't have brawl yet? wow. you post a lot for a non-player.
:D:D:D You really don't know how much I adore Pikmin and Olimar (Falcon Pikmin -_-" lol))
Schoolwork and assignments really take a toll on my free time. I'll probably get Brawl in December. I may not be the best Olimar player (I will never be close anyway), but I do know about tactics :D:D (Like chess!)

Top Bottom