• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Silliness: Smash Shipping

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Ah you see you talking about specific shipping pairs. I already said that if he had made that post towards a specific shipping pair I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I was talking about general shipping because of his post towards it. In which it is hypocrisy because in the end shipping is shipping be it Pokemon shipping, Smash shipping, or any other kind of shipping and part taking in one kind of shipping for one game/show/w/e and and posting a gif that shows you as disgusted at the idea of a different ship is indeed odd since you partake in shipping of something else. Now not liking a specific shipping pair is a whole different thing. Props for not reading correctly.
You seem to insult people's reading abilities a lot. It's kinda in bad taste, if you ask me. Especially since there's no cause for it.

Shipping is not something you can generalize, because at its core, it is largely dependent on the specific environments. Sure, you can dislike shipping in general, but you can't really like it in the same context. Shipping is largely based on the different movies, games, tv shows, etc. You can like Pokemon shipping, but not Smash shipping, because they are two different forms of shipping. So no, it's not hypocrisy to dislike one kind of shipping and not the other, but it IS to declare someone a hypocrite for not liking all shipping.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You seem to insult people's reading abilities a lot. It's kinda in bad taste, if you ask me. Especially since there's no cause for it.

Shipping is not something you can generalize, because at its core, it is largely dependent on the specific environments. Sure, you can dislike shipping in general, but you can't really like it in the same context. Shipping is largely based on the different movies, games, tv shows, etc. You can like Pokemon shipping, but not Smash shipping, because they are two different forms of shipping. So no, it's not hypocrisy to dislike one kind of shipping and not the other, but it IS to declare someone a hypocrite for not liking all shipping.

I only ever insult people's reading people's ability when it is obvious they don't read everything or just ignore it. Especially on an internet forum.

You also seem to not understand the term hypocrisy, at all. The true definition is
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Now then let's hypothetically call shipping a belief here for the moment. Shipping, according to Wikipedia
Shipping, derived from the word relationship, is the belief that two characters, fictional or non-fictional, would be interesting or believable (or are, or will be, or should be) in a romantic relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction. Though technically applicable to any such involvement, it refers chiefly to various related social dynamics observable on the Internet, and is seldom used outside of that context.
Shipping can involve virtually any kind of relationship – from the well-known and established, to the ambiguous or those undergoing development, and even to the highly improbable and the blatantly impossible. One rule of shipping states that if more than one person ships a couple it is a rightful ship.

Not then Shipping is that of 2 characters being paired up by a fan of those said characters in a romantic relationship. Now then this coincides with the belief that if you like shipping for one show you like shipping in general. You can not like the pairing of a specific pair because your prefer a different pair but not liking shipping of on show or video game or w/e but liking shipping of a different entertainment t\thing is hypocrisy because shipping is the belief of pairing 2 characters up into a romantic relationship.

You have been educated. Use you new found knowledge well young padwan :awesome:.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
So you're saying that if I like watching some TV shows, but hate others, I'm a hypocrite? That's what it sounds like you are saying. If it isn't, then I apologize.

I guess you CAN generalize shipping, after all. But it's the same as saying, "I like watching TV." or "I like playing sports." It always comes down to "Which one?" So in reality, when you give a general statement such as "I like shipping.", you obviously have something particular that caused you to say you like it.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't call someone a hypocrite for personal taste. If that was the case, then we'd all be hypocrites . And maybe we are. But we are allowed to have our own opinions. You can disagree with them, but they are not wrong.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So you're saying that if I like watching some TV shows, but hate others, I'm a hypocrite? That's what it sounds like you are saying. If it isn't, then I apologize.

I guess you CAN generalize shipping, after all. But it's the same as saying, "I like watching TV." or "I like playing sports." It always comes down to "Which one?" So in reality, when you give a general statement such as "I like shipping.", you obviously have something particular that caused you to say you like it.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't call someone a hypocrite for personal taste. If that was the case, then we'd all be hypocrites . And maybe we are. But we are allowed to have our own opinions. You can disagree with them, but they are not wrong.

The thing with "I like watching TV" or "I like watching sports" is that it can't be classified into a belief, well I guess sports can be considered a religion with how some of the fans are lol, like shipping, even Wikipedia calls it a belief. Shipping is very defined in it's meaning, of pairing up 2 characters together into a romantic relation whereas "I like to watch TV" is much more lose and less defined. Let's take an anime for example now, let's say person A like anime X and ship characters in it while Person B dislikes anime X but like anime Y and enjoys shipping in anime. To say he doesn't like anime X is understandable but what if he likes anime X and says he dislikes shipping in anime X? That sounds much more absurd then, however having a preference over certain shipping withing anime X is much more understandable. See what I'm trying to get at now?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:zerosuitsamus: x :olimar:?

He's married. They know that right?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Seriously? I want my own Zero Suit Samus dressed as a Pikachu :(.

Also, Wii Fit Trainer x Wario. 'Nuff said. :troll:

I don't do shipping, but it's fun to see what messed-up combinations people can create.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I only ever insult people's reading people's ability when it is obvious they don't read everything or just ignore it. Especially on an internet forum.
Thus, why you are seen as a brazen jerk by some. (Just so you know, I'm not serious about this, but I'm not joking about it either, in short I have no idea what intention I have, I think I'm typing but not sure. I don't even know what I'm doing.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Genuine understanding is an empathic art based on the integrity of the listener, any other method is folly.
Howabout Marth X Samus
No thank you.

I wonder what attracts us to certain pairings? What sort of character to we associate with each character? I truly cannot speak for others, my views of their essence being different.
That being said, I can try to express what essences I believe lie within certain characters. Nintendo characters are decidedly pure, with minimal convolution in the fiction in which they reside with few remaining internal consistencies.

Marth and Zelda were my perfect pair, this was for admittedly superficial reasons in my youth; I paused the camera at the right time once and had an epiphanic moment of 'how well they looked together'. I do not know at what age I became enchanted with romance, but I tell you it damaged me for the rest of my life. I mean what? Uh, what was I talking about? Oh, right. Pairings. When I played Marth as my main in Melee, my first encounter with him, I was enchanted with his tone, it seemed as if he was that sort of serious, focused individual. Intense. But witty. I liked that. When I played Zelda as my secondary, I felt a similar thing, a serious and focused persona, but her I had a past with, I felt the Ocarina of Time influence. She was an enchanting empath, enchanting in the way as a coy cuteness that is.

Needless to say I was an absolutely moronic low-grade imbecile. Go look at my oldest (posted) fanfiction that I posted in the creative minds section if cringing and breaking out into a cold sweat is your thing. I'm glad I deleted the one before that, and while it was worse writing wise, it was certainly more pure with their personality, being both shy and flighty pushed together by their companions, heavily influenced by the fanfictions I had read before then. Charming. Horrifying. I hate my last fanfiction because I made Sheik a crazy outgoing creature of suggestion (before I tried to edit out much of that to create Sheik as that sort of 'straight faced nin who can't read the mood' before giving up), and displayed Zelda in such a manner as a creature of main emotion, being the one to only expand on Marth's words, who was almost just a plot device, no, I can't say that, he was more like a somber man who can turn charming at will. I have committed great crimes against womanhood and manhood with my portrayal of these peoples.

Anyways, I experienced the philosophical shift and maturity that begins to follow in the wake of adolescence (Some of this being expressed in the most recent fanfiction). I refined and honed the principles I associated with the characters, and actually did a little research. Marth was no longer this cool guy, but he was a stoic man of action. He tried to reason out the world around him, to carefully poke out in hopefully the right ways with his interactions with others, to help guide them to understand themselves and grow the bonds between them, but it was not a conscious effort, and he was no emotional type, it flowed naturally from his Lordhood and protagonism. Zelda had returned to that oldest persona, but with much more meaning. She was more inwardly reflecting on the words placed before her, a wise woman who was an enchanting empath when she spoke, enchanting in the way of the genuine care and maturity she had, not some haughty attractiveness.

To make these actually work and be interesting in the fanfiction I'm now writing, I'm using the OoT timeline Zelda where Link died and failed to seal Ganon, and the Marth where Caeda died (no official timeline split, but (almost) anyone can die in FE forever! :O). /shamelessplugforsomethingthatsnotgoingtohaveeven10pagesforathousandyears. And this time, it's actually a coherent story with consistent explanation and actual adventure being the main theme instead of that pseudo-adventure detective stupidity that was really just an excuse for romance I was going for last time. I hope.

Yes, I ship Marth and Zelda.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pokemon Trainer and Wii Fit Trainer seem like a good idea.

I can't believe I said that out loud. Grumble Grumble...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Thus, why you are seen as a brazen jerk by some. (Just so you know, I'm not serious about this, but I'm not joking about it either, in short I have no idea what intention I have, I think I'm typing but not sure. I don't even know what I'm doing.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Genuine understanding is an empathic art based on the integrity of the listener, any other method is folly.

I honestly don't care what I am seen as by people I don't know. If they want to see me as a brazen jerk, good for them as I really don't care. However it is extremely annoying when people seem to not read what the person they are replying to typed or read it incorrectly, especially since they are on a internet forum for crying out loud.

Oh I always try to understand the person I may be debating with, but sometimes that understanding becomes that of they are a incompetent reader when they obviously ignored something I typed when they replied to me which in turn leads me to attack their reading comprehension.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I honestly don't care what I am seen as by people I don't know. If they want to see me as a brazen jerk, good for them as I really don't care. However it is extremely annoying when people seem to not read what the person they are replying to typed or read it incorrectly, especially since they are on a internet forum for crying out loud.

Oh I always try to understand the person I may be debating with, but sometimes that understanding becomes that of they are a incompetent reader when they obviously ignored something I typed when they replied to me which in turn leads me to attack their reading comprehension.
Lemmie see if I understand. You do not care about influencing others on the internet as the internet frequently frustrates you. You would be far better at convincing people of things if you did put forth the effort to understand your 'opponent', they see it as a huge deposit in the relationship, and will be more open to logic, you will find yourself being less annoyed at your enemy to boot. Debating makes this process difficult, and people get heavily emotionally invested, no one is safe from that; there is a clear loser and winner at the end of the debate. People who participate in a debate will be more defensive and far more emotionally involved, and it will be incredibly hard to understand unless one attempts to make that shift to conversational scholasticism, that shift being genuine empathic understanding, of their values and goals and what they are trying to say, not the simple understanding of their argument. Attacking people's reading comprehension is not conducive to anything but what I can only assume is satisfying your hatred of that person.
-Slow Clap-
Thank you, soldier. /Salute

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Lemmie see if I understand. You do not care about influencing others on the internet as the internet frequently frustrates you. You would be far better at convincing people of things if you did put forth the effort to understand your 'opponent', they see it as a huge deposit in the relationship, and will be more open to logic, you will find yourself being less annoyed at your enemy to boot. Debating makes this process difficult, and people get heavily emotionally invested, no one is safe from that; there is a clear loser and winner at the end of the debate. People who participate in a debate will be more defensive and far more emotionally involved, and it will be incredibly hard to understand unless one attempts to make that shift to conversational scholasticism, that shift being genuine empathic understanding, of their values and goals and what they are trying to say, not the simple understanding of their argument. Attacking people's reading comprehension is not conducive to anything but what I can only assume is satisfying your hatred of that person.
No, I don't care what people think about me. I do care about getting my point across, but not what they think about me along the way. You'd be surprised at the effort I do put forth to understand the person I am debating with, however when it becomes clear when the person isn't putting any effort, this includes but is not limited to not reading everything properly, I cease to give a fig about the person I am debating with. Of course emotion gets involved, that is just part of the human nature, however it is possible to limit how much you allow to get involved. But I believe there is no point in being friendly and understanding when the other person obviously isn't trying to put forth the effort to, however you might have noticed that when the person I was debating started to properly read what I typed I did in fact become friendlier and more understanding.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No, I don't care what people think about me. I do care about getting my point across, but not what they think about me along the way. You'd be surprised at the effort I do put forth to understand the person I am debating with, however when it becomes clear when the person isn't putting any effort, this includes but is not limited to not reading everything properly, I cease to give a fig about the person I am debating with. Of course emotion gets involved, that is just part of the human nature, however it is possible to limit how much you allow to get involved. But I believe there is no point in being friendly and understanding when the other person obviously isn't trying to put forth the effort to, however you might have noticed that when the person I was debating started to properly read what I typed I did in fact become friendlier and more understanding.
You think that it doesn't matter to have the trust of the individual to be able to convince them, and you do not care to try and remove the emotional component. You wish to change ones mind and heart without making them vulnerable?
Damn, Samus is acting so OoC in these pics it is not even funny!
Also, have some Villager x Wii Fit Trainer. What a hunk:
Much of shipping is the fan projecting their ideas onto the characters, it's bound to happen.
Glorious pic, perfect example of artistic projection, or the author just wanted a giggle, or some other motive that is completely foreign to me.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's no point in ******** about OoC fanart, as it really is just a projection of wish fulfillment. One of my favorite webcomics, Brawl in the Family, ships Kirby and Jigglypuff and they even can procreate! I've always thought that Captain Falcon x Samus was an interesting pair. Has anyone ever heard of the fanfic One Last Smash? The author really meshes their brash, cold personalities well along with the sentiments in the story. There's even a chapter that gives them great character development!

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You think that it doesn't matter to have the trust of the individual to be able to convince them, and you do not care to try and remove the emotional component. You wish to change ones mind and heart without making them vulnerable?
The only people I care about having trust from and in are those I consider close to me, friends, family, ect... and no one else, and I've been still been burned many times still so bleh. Guess you could say I have trust issues at times or something. I don't wish to change a persons mind or heart, that is up for them to do and them alone. All I try to get across is the understanding of my point, that is it, to reach a common ground so to speak, them changing their mind is totally up to them however. As for making them vulnerable, I usually try to avoid those kinds of tactics, and no I don't consider attack questioning their reading capabilities as attempting to make them vulnerable.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone ever heard of the fanfic One Last Smash? The author really meshes their brash, cold personalities well along with the sentiments in the story. There's even a chapter that gives them great character development!
After reading your comment, I went and looked it up. After a brief skim, I can say that it sounds pretty interesting. It's nice to see something that isn't Samus x Snake, which I see so much of(and never really warmed up to).

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, One Last Smash was written pre-Brawl, so it creates its own storyline for Melee. The writing and characterization is marvelous. So marvelous that TV Tropes acknowledges it exists!

I'm stingy with Samus x Snake, but it would be interesting to explore nonetheless.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Well, One Last Smash was written pre-Brawl, so it creates its own storyline for Melee. The writing and characterization is marvelous. So marvelous that TV Tropes acknowledges it exists!

I'm stingy with Samus x Snake, but it would be interesting to explore nonetheless.
I suppose. Then again, there could just as easily be a triangle. I mean, I have seen/heard of crazier pairings(*cough Dedede x ROB).

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The only people I care about having trust from and in are those I consider close to me, friends, family, ect... and no one else, and I've been still been burned many times still so bleh. Guess you could say I have trust issues at times or something. I don't wish to change a persons mind or heart, that is up for them to do and them alone. All I try to get across is the understanding of my point, that is it, to reach a common ground so to speak, them changing their mind is totally up to them however. As for making them vulnerable, I usually try to avoid those kinds of tactics, and no I don't consider attack questioning their reading capabilities as attempting to make them vulnerable.
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean vulnerable to hurting them, though. . . no, it does make sense, to truly influence others is to open yourself up to influence.
I understand it's not an initially attractive idea to open yourself up. . . . Sensing duplicity and manipulation is natural to most people, and many, like you, have the attitude of 'why should I trust them if they're just going to burn me?'.
I don't quite know how I've been able to withstand it. I try to trust people as I to you now, and I suppose I have to be afraid on some level that I will lose control of myself. We must tread lightly and choose our words carefully, it is a risky business. But, if that risky business is carried out with a genuine desire to understand the other person, they will sense that and open up, and if all goes well there opens a soul-to-soul flow of understanding. Like, before now I would have just assumed you to be that brazen jerk, to think you simply don't care about the other person's argument one bit, but now I understand it is far more complex than that. The hardest part is that understanding, but it seems as if to truly get ones own point across effectively to the other person is not so much laying it down in front of them and letting them pick it up if they desire, but building a relationship, finding that common ground after opening each other up. To understand another and be influenced by them is a huge trust thing, you're right, but it seems necessary to open that pathway before they are willing to consider yours without emotion mixing unnecessarily. As for them changing their minds, it is their will that decides in the end. . . and maybe it's your perogative that influence is control, or dirty tactics, but I pray that it's not. As per reading capabilities, insultation makes people close up more, they'd be less willing to even consider rereading and trying to actually understand your point of view. Oh well, people make mistakes.
Why deos everybody pair Marth with somebody?
HE'S MARRIED!!!!
Shiida. . . My excuse is that Smaczh Bruvvers world is open to interpret. For example, which LoZ game is Link from? We've demonstrated this new Link has elements from a few different games, so it's not so set in stone like 'this Marth' and 'this Zelda'. So when I get to pick, I say that in my game Shiida died (which is a very real possibility in FE), or Marth is a younger Marth without the Fire Emblem (hence why he has no shield). As for Zelda, the holes more readily present themselves, so yeah, we can explain this or that with her~

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

I think Sakurai's OTP is PeachxEveryone, seriously. What the heck is with all the lovey-dovey Peach pictures? :3
I hope he does the same thing when Zelda is confirmed. Inb4Zeldaisnextconfirm.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman

I think Sakurai's OTP is PeachxEveryone, seriously. What the heck is with all the lovey-dovey Peach pictures? :3
I hope he does the same thing when Zelda is confirmed. Inb4Zeldaisnextconfirm.
Wow, even Sakurai is getting in on the shipping action.
Back in my Melee days, it was Marth x Zelda and Roy x Peach, no questions asked.
*Edit: I just realized something...that picture can make a story for all this. As in, Marth and Zelda were dating back in the day, and they broke up. Then, Roy and Peach didn't work out either, so Marth decided to date around and he found his way to Peach, which leads us to current day, aka that picture...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
*Edit: I just realized something...that picture can make a story for all this. As in, Marth and Zelda were dating back in the day, and they broke up. Then, Roy and Peach didn't work out either, so Marth decided to date around and he found his way to Peach, which leads us to current day, aka that picture...
This is what I most dislike about our modern 'dating' culture, darn it. Zelda and Marth are from a medieval-like period, where things can be assumed to be more pure and wholesome. There is no 'dating', there is only courtship, which I firmly believe is far superior, and firmly believe that is the process the two would go through if they ever even so much as considered getting together.
Master Hand x Crazy Hand
wat

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
This is what I most dislike about our modern 'dating' culture, darn it. Zelda and Marth are from a medieval-like period, where things can be assumed to be more pure and wholesome. There is no 'dating', there is only courtship, which I firmly believe is far superior, and firmly believe that is the process the two would go through if they ever even so much as considered getting together.

wat
Oooh, right. I totally forgot about the medieval context of the characters.
Also, I hope Pichu x Olimar is oddball enough for you all.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh my gosh, this topic. :laugh:

Anyway...

Sandbag x Mr. Saturn = MY OTP!! <3

LOVE TRANSCENDS ALL BOUNDARIES!!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I approve of:
-Pit + Samus (Both born in 1986 gaming wise, with KI and Metroid being somewhat similar to each other, although we all know Metroid was much more popular. For those who played KIU, you'll know that the game also does make references to Metroid in more than 1 way.)
-Peach + Pit (Peach Pit... silly pun that is.)
-Pit + Palutena (Don't gotta explain this one)
-Pit + Zelda (eh, not so much this one, but the one that was posted earlier in the thread was kinda cute)

Then again, we all saw that coming. Shame not many others like those pairings, but I'd be happier if I found others who do. :(

On side note, I don't mind Bowser + Peach either. After how many decades of fighting Mario and losing countless times, I feel like Bowser deserves something nice for once.

Top Bottom