• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete noob, wondering about this "hackless" modding I've heard about?

squidgy617

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been very interested in Brawl modding for years now, to the point where last year I almost got into doing it... until my Wii started to have some serious issues and I sent it into Nintendo to get it fixed. Now, of course, I don't want to risk bricking it through modding and I don't want to void any chance of getting it fixed if problems do arise.

As such, I haven't really done anything at all, but I recently heard something about a "hackless" method of modding Brawl, that is completely safe?

So, I have a few questions about this hackless method.

1) Is it ONLY a part of Project M, Brawl+, etc? I only ever hear about this hackless method of modding when people are discussing these mods and modifications to them. As such, I don't know if the hackless method can actually be used with anything else. If it can be used with other things.... do I need Project M, Brawl+, etc to make any of my hackless mods work?

2) In addition to the above, what can you do with hackless modding? I've heard texture hacks work through it, but could I use model changes (like a simple model swap of Bowser to Dry Bowser or something silly like that), custom levels, or totally custom characters (I believe they are referrred to as PSAs)? If I can do these things, how would I go about doing them the hackless way?

3) Is "hackless" modding the same as softmodding? Are they equally safe (won't void chances of system repairs, don't stop me from getting system updates, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
So, I have a few questions about this hackless method.

1) Is it ONLY a part of Project M, Brawl+, etc? I only ever hear about this hackless method of modding when people are discussing these mods and modifications to them. As such, I don't know if the hackless method can actually be used with anything else. If it can be used with other things.... do I need Project M, Brawl+, etc to make any of my hackless mods work?

Project M is probably the most popular mod and I personally highly recommend it, but it's not necessary to use hackless modding. I have never used hacks without also using Project M, so I don't know exactly how to set up the Gecko loader. There's helpful tutorials both on here and on YouTube for how to do this stuff though.

2) In addition to the above, what can you do with hackless modding? I've heard texture hacks work through it, but could I use model changes (like a simple model swap of Bowser to Dry Bowser or something silly like that), custom levels, or totally custom characters (I believe they are referrred to as PSAs)? If I can do these things, how would I go about doing them the hackless way?

Dry Bowser would be a reskin, not a new model, but yes you could do that. You can do custom models, stages, characters, music, and a few other things hackless. The only thing i can think of off the top of my head that would require softmodding is sound effect replacement.

3) Is "hackless" modding the same as softmodding? Are they equally safe (won't void chances of system repairs, don't stop me from getting system updates, etc)?

No, hackless method works by putting stuff on an SD card (2 GB or less), putting it in your Wii, and booting up Gecko to activate the hacks via the Stage Creator. It leaves no evidence behind and leaves no permanent effects. Softmodding, on the other hand, does void your warranty and has a chance of bricking your Wii.

Thanks in advance.
Hope this helps :)

squidgy617

Smash Rookie
Thanks. I've actually started modding now, it worked fine. Hackless modding seems great.

Now, I have one more question, though I'm pretty sure this is impossible...

1) Is it possible to have multiple PSAs on a character? For instance, I have a mod that changes Wario to Petey. Say I wanted one of the outfits to have Petey's moveset and one to have Wario's. Is it possible?

2) Is it possible to have multiple different sets of animations on a character? Again, say I want Petey's animations on one outfit and Wario's on another.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, but an answer would be appreciated.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
If you ever possibly brick your Wii by doing these things then I will personally see to it that the President of the United States declares Anarchy Day.

(not happening)

marthlowellx

Smash Rookie
okay, so I downloaded a rar file for lucina skin for marth. do I need to delete one marth skin and put the lucina one there, or keep it like it is now for it to work?

Top Bottom