• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive players - Why do some of you choose not to play top tier characters?

okiyama

Smash Ace
maybe some competitive players play not top tier characters cause there better with them
Yeah, I think that sometimes a players playstyle will just fit a character better, so they'll do best with them.

To make it so your playstyle follows the character thoughy ou just need to play them for a long long time.

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
In Melee, I'll play as Marth. Not because he's top tier (I didn't know tiers existed when i started playing as him) but because he's the only character I'm actually ok at. :chuckle:

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
every person i play is high/top tier

marth, c falcon, falco, fox

yep.

oh wait, i kinda play roy...

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, Taj and Forward are some of the best lol Taj just likes to play Mewtwo a lot unless he's losing.

XD I just picked Marth because he was a) blue b) had a sword c) had a cape and d) didn't have teh ph1r3

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You do realize that Taj uses Marth or Fox when he needs to pull out a win, right?
IIRC, he went M2 vs M2K's marth in a tourny recently. He probably assumed he'd lose either way, but it still goes to show.

I use Fox, Marth and Falcon. (Real original I know lol) But its fun to use Pichu once and a while. Its really satisfying and Pichus mobility is pretty sexy.

jd_smith_88

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say wit me, I jus like goin against the tide. I main ICs, Link and Roy n I think just about any character has the potential to be a real top tier. Ive seen planety of vids of ppl using lower tiers n beating, not only hi tiers, but top players. such as a G&W beating M2K's fox. Aniki's Link beating Ken's marth, Mewtwo beating Bombsoldier's falco, ect. The tiers list simply infulences ppl to play wit high tiers so dat noone uses the lower ones.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'd have to say wit me, I jus like goin against the tide. I main ICs, Link and Roy n I think just about any character has the potential to be a real top tier. Ive seen planety of vids of ppl using lower tiers n beating, not only hi tiers, but top players. such as a G&W beating M2K's fox. Aniki's Link beating Ken's marth, Mewtwo beating Bombsoldier's falco, ect. The tiers list simply infulences ppl to play wit high tiers so dat noone uses the lower ones.
I have a feeling those were some old videos...

Like it's been said, that's just the PLAYER being good, not the character.

Geist

Smash Master
Those vids are pretty old =p
Japan is pretty behind the US in terms of metagame as of present day.

While I agree with you that low tier characters can be played at a high level, I feel like I have to say that the people who have done things like that are incredible good players no matter what character they play. M2K's Pichu could likely beast 90% of smashboards' anything, but Pichu is a terrible character.
The really good thing about melee is that it's flexible enough to allow lower tiers to perform that well. But there are still notable differences in hitboxes, lag speed, priority, versatility, adaptability that some characters have that others don't.
Best example, grab an action replay and turn all characters into wire frames and look at their hitboxes. 80% of Jiggly's moves have bigger hitboxes than pichu's entire body. -__-
Not to mention higher tiers are plagued with gay things like disjointed hitboxes and lagless moves.

Personally I continue to main Samus because I'm aware of how good she can actually be. Just look at what Alukard and Hugs are capable of doing so some of the best players.

I started playing her because Super Metroid on the SNES was too good. :D

'Fro

Smash Lord
I play Samus because she suits me the best out of all the characters in the game that I've tried to learn. I picked her up faster than I did most characters, and I'm more used to her. I occasionally try to work on other characters, but everytime I go back to Samus she gives me better results. There's why.

Top Bottom