• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Play for the Mii

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Yeah most of the competitive scene doesn't know **** about the mii's. There's more info out there now that some people are using them, but gunner/brawler are certainly better than bottom tier, at least if you allow customization. In 1111 setup....gunner could still be good, brawler suffers terribly as his 1 up B sucks, and he loses his chance to have his feint jump down b and piston punch up B, which are two of his best moves by far.
It also doesn't help that picking specials isn't a binary choice, and by forcing the 1111 choice on all the moves results in players who had never looking into the moves that create the problem to begin with. (Myself, as an example, utilises Helicopter Kick for edge guarding, air combos and the like.) The Miis benefit from being versatile, and players will use characters in different ways.

As small minded and petty as it might seem, a part of me feels that forcing the Miis to use their 1111 set up is almost tantamount to disallowing their use entirely, as it cripples the character for many different people. It's something that the Mii has, as its design, that it can be customised to your whims, and by forcing a set of moves, it will turn the character into something else entirely, something that many do not wish to play, leaving those unaffected the few who played the 1111 set up to begin with, and those who don't play the Miis at all.

Though, I say all this, but @ Reaperfan Reaperfan is correct. If the Tournament disallows customs entirely, then if the Miis are playable, they should be held on the same level as the rest of the cast, even though without them, the character is in essence sub-par, but with them they hold an unfair advantage. There's not much we can do about that, and I guess the character would be getting competitive usage after all.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Could the OP please be edited to state that Mii is not allowed in Tulsa, Oklahoma?

It may confuse people thinking there is some kind of ridiculous nation-wide ban on the Mii.
They are NOT banned anywhere in my entire region and no region that I know of has them banned ANYWHERE.

Please, for the sake of clarity, edit the post. Thanks!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Your from Tulsa,Oklahoma!!??? Well in Moore our TO allows Mii's but only if they are in the default height/weight from mii maker. So if you ever come down to play or go to PJ's in Broken Arrow keep that in mind.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
I can't speak for the WiiU version, but on the 3DS there are no default Miis. Picking the Mii character icon opens up the Mii customization window if there are no Miis saved to the system and forces you to make one before you can actually pick the character.
When you pick a Mii, hit create, then press L. Boom, default Miis. Still have to actually create them, but that wont take but 5 minutes so there shouldn't be any problems expecting a TO to have this ready ahead of time for the WiiU. As for specials, it probably would be best for everyone to learn and use the basic 1-1-1-1.

It's not perfect, but at least weight, speed, and power are guaranteed to be consistent.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Customization On/Off does not affect the Mii's moveset.
They are therefore not a custom character by function anymore than changing your height/weight/moves by selecting from Zelda or Sheik is customizable (Mii changes even less than those types of characters).

So I would say I am not going to learn the basic 1-1-1-1 Mii in case a TO limits character selection because I am not going to attend any tournament that is going to unreasonably ban or limit any character (whether I use the character or not).

A Tournament Organizer that makes that poor competitive decision is either not doing a very good job of TO'ing or running a casual tournament and I am a competitive level player so I'll go to a more competitively styled event instead.

Top Bottom