• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Guide to beginner Bowser players: Gameplay, Options, Movement and more!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I've been playing Bowser competitively since Smash 4 came out in NA and I'm here to give beginner bowser players a guide to discuss his movement, options, and more. Let's begin:

Movement:
Obviously, Bowser has a huge speed increase/buff to his dash. This buff from Brawl makes it easier for Bowser get in closer to opponents, including on camping characters. His walking movement is the same.

Gameplay (How do you play Bowser?):
- What you need to learn is the following: Spacing, Mix-ups, Options, Anti-Airs, kill moves/throws, and Rage effect and Vectoring.

- Spacing:
This is one of the most important aspects of Smash 4 you have to learn. While Bowser doesn't have the most effective spacing options compared to most characters, they can still be very effective if done right. Bowsers best spacing moves are his Jabs (Neutral Attack), Forward Air, Back Air, and Forward Tilt. His Jab combo is probably his best spacing tool. It's more safe, punishes rolls, and recovers fast enough to allow you to roll/spot dodge or go for a different move if you predict what the opponent does. Forward Tilt is his 2nd best spacing move thanks to pivot cancelling. Forward Air and Back Air are good spacing moves, but they're mostly useful for edgeguarding more than spacing.

- Mix-Ups/Options:
Bowser is very similar to Zangief from Street Fighter; Takes a lot of hits, lives longer than most characters, but makes up for it with lots of good mix-ups and options to rack up damage. Side Special is bowsers key move for a lot of these mix-ups. One of my favorite mix-ups is to go for the first jab attack to punish laggy moves (DON'T do the full jab combo), than go for Side Special to catch opponents, dealing over 20% damage. THIS is when the mix-ups now begin.

When you do this mix-up again, instead of going for Side Special again, go for a different move to predict what the opponent will do. Here are some examples:
- Opponent Rolls Away: Dash Attack or Regular Grab
- Opponent Rolling towards you: Down Smash, Up-B, Up Smash, Forward Tilt, Forward Smash, Down Special, turnaround jab combo/more mix-ups.
- Opponent Spot Dodging: Forward Smash, Down Smash,, Jab Combo/mix-ups, Forward Tilt, and Up-B
- Opponent mashing grab/attacks: Do the full jab combo, Down-B, Spot Dodge, and Up-B.
- Opponent shielding: regular Grab, Side-B, and Down-B (Not recommended, unless you want to break the shield, which does happen).

Another effective mix-up for bowser is when you get the opponent next to the edge and off-stage. Bowsers Fair can cross-up opponents. This is great a mix-up tool for bowser as you can force opponents to shield grab you, than jump and do a Bair to punish them. You can mix it up with Side-B if they shield the entire and it can catch them off guard. You can do the same thing when you knock opponents off-stage or trying to get up after grabbing the edge, just be more presice with your edgeguarding choices.

His final effective option and mix-up is pivot cancelling. Thanks to this AT, Bowsers Forward Smash, Forward Tilt, Side-B, Up-B, and Pivot Grab are his best mix-ups for this and is mostly effective when dealing against players who tend to roll a lot.

- Anti-Airs:
Since airdodges have been nerfed with landing lag, despite being used a lot in the air, Bowsers anti-air options are now more effective. Up Smash, Up Tilt, and Uair are the best anti-airs Bowser has. Uair is the most effective since it comes out the fastest and still deals good damage. Up Smash is the 2nd best Anti-Air bowser has. Up tilt is only recommended depending on the situations.

- Kill Moves/Throws:
Bowser has lots of kill moves and throws. His best kill moves are Bair, Fair, Uair, Forward Smash, Up Smash, and Side-B. Unfornately, Bowser only has one effective throw; His Forward Throw if not staled and the opponent must be at high % to work.

- Rage Effect and Vectoring:
Do to Rage, Bowser becomes even more dangerous as his already good kill moves become even more threatning and thanks to vectoring, he can live much longer than most characters. However, Vectoring does not help Bowser escape combos as he can still get comboed pretty easily.

- Videos of Bowser in tournament play:
Here are a couple videos highlighting Bowsers viability in Tournament play and the mix-ups he can do (Most of these are from SHI-Gaming youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIa7lZDHrnY&list=UUpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzbguPYrgw&list=UUpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A (My favorite and best one IMO)

Conclusion:
Bowser is now a solid character this time around and is one of the most buffed characters. While I don't think he's top tier, he's definitly around Mid to High Tier status at the most and I don't think he will no longer be bottom Tier.

Bowser is just like Zangief; has great kill moves, racks up damage very quick, survive for a long period of time, great spacing, and lots of mix-ups and options. However, he still has the same problems like before, where he can get comboed pretty easily, even with vectoring, loses pretty hard to campers (Duck Hunt Dog) and characters with better rushdown/mix-ups (Rosalina, Shiek, and Sonic). But, once you adapt to their playstyle and be patient (Which is key when playing Bowser), you shouldn't have too much trouble unless they decide to mix things up or counter-pick you.

If anybody has qeustions regarding the advice, tips, or anything else, let me know below and I will answer!

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
By "the game", do you mean this one or Smash in general and by "competitively" do you actual tournaments or For Glory mode? And if actual tournaments, any vids? How big were they?

Not saying I doubt your credentials, but I don't believe I've seen you around before. Unless you frequent the Melee or 64 boards.

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
:/

- Dashing Attack:
Relatively the same as Brawl, just with a different animation. This move, however, is great for punishing rolls, but it's very unsafe on shield, so use it wisely like most dash attacks.
A dashing kick and a full bodied tackle are not the same thing. Brawl Dash Attack was abnormally large and used as a counter-spacing tool against people swinging empty aerials at you. Current Dash Attack is terrible in that regard. However, both it and Brawl Dash Attack are good at punishing landings.

- Neutral Attack:
Bowser punches opponents instead of slashing. Neutral Attack recieved a huge buff in knockback, making it a great option to knock opponents off the stage. This move deals 11% damage. This move has less lag than in Brawl, so if this move is spaced right, it can be safe most of the time (Depends on your opponents character), allowing you to recover fast enough to spot dodge if you predict a dash grab from the opponent or a regular shield/Dodge roll if you predict a tilt or Smash. It's also a great move to punish rolls and great for mix-ups (Will get to that later).
The move's knockback was barely changed from Brawl, making that buff rather negligible. Jab also has significantly less range in this game, and is far more unsafe than in Brawl. In Brawl, you didn't even have to bother with unsafe stuff like spot dodges after your jabs. You just jabbed some more and your opponent would be forced to have an answer for it. Current Jab isn't even close.

- Forward Tilt/Side Attack:
Just like the dash attack, this is the same as in Brawl, but that's not a bad thing, as it still has great range and knockback. However, it got several buffs thanks to Smash Bros 4's new and changed mechanics, but we will get to that later.
Ftilt has less range then in did in Brawl, but the range is still alright. Also, this move does not have good knockback. Ftilt has never had good knockback. You never kill with Ftilt unless your opponent refuses to DI at all or they're at 140%.

- Down Tilt/Down Attack:
Not much has changed, but it did get a buff thanks to the ledge mechanics, but once again, we will get to that later. It does have better knockback and still racks up damage very well
No mention of how the move's horizontal range got buffed tremendously? How it's safe on block? And how it destroys shields?

- Up Tilt/Up Attack:
Up Tilt has recieved a range increase as it now hits opponents in front of him, while still hitting above as it's still a great anti-air and still hits behind him.
The move is also significantly weaker in terms of knockback. The range increase is much bigger above Bowser, and barely hits people in front of you.

- Forward Smash:
This is one of Bowsers most improved moves. It's now better a high risk/high reward move as it has better range, knockback, and one of his most rewarding kill moves. It's also great for punishing and edgeguarding opponents if you predict them going for a wakeup attack and great for punishing rolls.
This is not an improved move. This is a severely nerfed move. Bowser's old Fsmash could be used in neutral as a part of your counter spacing game. Current Fsmash cannot be used in neutral at all against anyone who knows how to actually play the game. Old Fsmash was also safe on block when spaced. Dropkick is never safe on block. Dropkick does do a lot of shield damage however, but that's irrelevant when your opponent is just gonna punish you afterwards and get a full shield recharge before you can do anything. (Also, Bowser's Dropkick does not have better range then old Fsmash. Old Fsmash was massively disjointed.)

- Up Smash:
Still the same move as in Brawl; Great anti-air, knockback, and early kill move.
This is no where close to how it was in Brawl. This is one of Bowser's more significantly buffed moves due to the the autoguard addition. This move can now be legit used in neutral just because of the autoguard. It plows through everything and allows you to flat out BEAT options instead of finding ways to punish them. It's not the same. Not even close.

- Down Smash:
Down Smash no longer kills as early and it doesn't deal as much damage as before. However, since rolls are very important to get out of rushdown/camping situations, this makes his down smash a great move to punish rolls, still making it very viable.
Dsmash killing later is irrelevant when the move barely killed in the first place. It's also not viable because it's small, extremely punishable, and Fortress accomplishes the same thing. Fortress is faster, safer, and more likely to work. While we can argue that Dsmash can work if you go for a hard read, that's the case for everything in this game. Falcon's Knee can be used as a hard read and it can work. That doesn't make the Knee good.

- Grab:
His grab has recieved a great buff in grab range and knockback. Forward Throw is a good kill move and great for edgeguarding set-ups alongside his Back Throw.
Fthrow only kills against people who aren't DI'ing at all. Or people at 160%. :/

Also, how can Fthrow STILL be a good kill move? The knockback in Brawl was basically set until 200%+. That move never killed ever.

- Neutral Special/B
Didn't recieve a single change. Still good for racking up damage and edgeguarding, but that's it. I recommend only using this for edgeguarding at the most.
Not a single change? No mention about how the fire is much larger? Or how the tip of the fire no longer causes knockback? Also, fire is more useful in neutral then it is for edgeguarding, and has always been.

- Side Special/B:
Did recieve a knockback buff, making it a good kill move. It did recieve a range nerf, but thanks to it's knockback buff, it makes up for it. You can still use this move to Bowsercide (use this move to SD yourself with your opponent). However, this move recieved a major buff. Originally, in Brawl, when you used this move to Bowsercide, both you and your opponent got KOed if both of you had one stock left, resulting in Sudden Death. The only way to avoid this was making sure you had a stock lead. That's no longer the case here. Even if both players have one stock left, the opponent will always get KOed first, resulting in Bowser winning a match everytime. To avoid this from happening, just hold the opposite direction on the circle pad, depending on where bowser is facing, and make sure to pay attention to the % between both you and the bowser player. Depending on the % depends on who can control the distance. If you have higher % than the bowser player, you can avoid getting Bowsercide, but if the bowser player has higher % than you, you get bowsercide everytime, unless the bowser player mis-judges the distance. It also cancels itself when used close to the ground, resulting in lots of mix-ups. Also good for edgeguarding.
In Brawl, Bowser dying alongside his opponent didn't matter most of the time because rules were in effect to give the win to the person who initiated the suicide. Even in events where this clause wasn't in effect, Bowser would have to be at a much higher percent than his opponent to get the suicide off, making it likely he was probably at a large disadvantage to begin with. Also, the knockback buff does not make up for the huge range nerf, as this was one of Bowser's best neutral moves before. (it might have arguably been his best move period) Now it's mostly used for punishes. Bowser also cannot jump out of the Body Slam animation anymore, making mixups and pressure a lot harder after landing a Klaw.

- Up Special/B:
One of Bowsers most improved moves and one of his best moves to punish rolls. By mashing the B button while using Up Special for recovering, you get an extra height boost, making it easier to recover (This is similar to Luigi's Down Special in all smash games). Since Bowsers edgeguarding has been buffed, you can get back to the stage easily as long as you don't go down too low, resulting in you not coming back. Please note that this move has lots of lag, so be careful and use it wisely.
Wat. This was overall one of Bowser's biggest NERFS.

- Forward Air
While it may look the same as in Brawl, it actually kills earlier and is one of bowsers best edgeguarding and his most viable edgeguarding move. It's great for mix-ups close to the edge, but we will get to that soon.
No mention of it's immensely buffed hitbox? Or how it still autocancels? (it also still barely kills in this game btw)

- Back Air:
One of his best moves: Deals 20% damage instead of 15%, Kills super early, has no landing lag if timed right in a SH, and great spacing move. It's also his 2nd most viable edgeguarding move alongside Forward Air and Side Special.
I would argue that Back Air is not one of his best neutral moves because that puts your back towards your opponent, which is terrible positioning for Bowser. Bowser with his back to his opponent is one of the most telegraphed characters in the game, and you're just asking to get counter poked or even just punished with an aerial OoS.

Bair is also more punishable than Fair, has less range, and you cannot go for the same mixup options as quickly because you back is to your opponent.

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
In your opinion, is Bowser just awful in this game or what?
My opinion is that Bowser is mid tier as of now, and will probably fall lower once people learn how to actually play the game.

The ":/" was my overall reaction to reading the guide

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
okay. this is literally going no where >.>

I appreciate the comments, criticism and all, but all i'm trying to do is teach beginner bowser players about bowser's moveset, options, and more. i've learned a lot of bowser in smash 4 with my friend, for glory, training mode, videos and tournaments. that's another reason why i made this guide and i live in alberta canada.

FYI, i've played Bowser in brawl ever since it came out and i know he got lots of buffs.

again, i appreciate the comments and all, but if nobody finds this informative or it goes completly no where, than i'll ask a moderator to close this thread down.

EDIT: on second thought, i'll probably just re-adjust or get rid of the "moveset" part. i got to decide...hhhmmmm...

Last edited:

LITTLEPUNCH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3995-0713-4011
is it just me or is bowser op for beginners, because the first time that my friend had ever played smash, he beat me as bowser.I try to counter his side b but that never works.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
- Videos of Bowser in tournament play:
Here are a couple videos highlighting Bowsers viability in Tournament play and the mix-ups he can do (Most of these are from SHI-Gaming youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIa7lZDHrnY&list=UUpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzbguPYrgw&list=UUpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A (My favorite and best one IMO)
You're missing my more awesome updated tournament list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLafWKd-RfF3dpCv8v1LSAZDb-k1a-_W2T

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Chad basically hit all the points I was going to correct. I agree with his sentiments.

Top Bottom