• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Gamers.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
As few of you may know, I am a casual gamer, but I've wanted to become competitive for quite some time now. I was up yesterday on a thread that spoke of competitiveness in Brawl and Melee. Someone posted that in order to be competitive, you need to attend tournaments.

Now, since I don't know how competitive gamers see it, I would like to know one thing: Do you HAVE to attend tournaments to be a competitive gamer?

I've had people tell me that I could also fight people online on Brawl, but I wasn't sure wether they were right or wrong. I'm asking this question because I am in Rome, and as far as I know, not many tournaments are held here.

So, do you have to attend tournaments to be competitive, or are there other ways?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
The only way to prove that you're a competitive gamer is to be competitive, and to be competitive you have to prove yourself by playing against other people. Other people play other people--for the most part at least--at tournaments. So, unfortunately, yes.

Online competitive gaming will definitely be toyed with in the future but don't count on it to have as large an impact as competing in tournaments.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If the online owuld get better, tourneys could get held and I might actually be able to attend something. -.-

Thx for posting though.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Vicious Delicious pretty much said it all.

It's unfortunate you can't seem to find many tournaments. It was a problem I suffered at one point, I feel your pain :D.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
VD covered all the bases. I can't add anything else other than tournaments are probably also the best way to get experience in this game. Wifi is horrible for this because OF ALL THE LAG! More you play good people live, the better you get. Also, you can develop friends between all the local smashers, who will in turn play with you more, tell you about tourneys, and try to get you to those tourneys. Point Blank.

Slepten

Smash Apprentice
Psh, yah right. I have never attended a smash bros tourney in my life, but i am highly competitive. That is why I joined this forum...

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
You can also try hosting tournaments, you might find that there are more smashers around you than you think.

If you host it, they will come.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Psh, yah right. I have never attended a smash bros tourney in my life, but i am highly competitive. That is why I joined this forum...
You may have a competitive nature--we all have a little bit of that, hence our joining to SWF--but to be a competitive gamer is to actively apply both the competitive attitude and the technical abilities of the game against other smashers. If you can do that, then you may be considered competitive material.

Zema, follow Goldberg's advice as well. Even if you lose at your own tournament (I did :p), you'll probably still meet some great smashers in your area and have them as future rivals. Also, people are usually more than willing to bring supplies such as TVs, Wiis, discs, etc. If you can supply the location and information they can help with a lot more.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm competitive but tournaments here are badly advertised and usually suck [nothing is banned, not even items] and most are FFAs.

I can't hold a tournament because I'm too young [who's gonna listen to a 16 year old?] and I have no place to hold it so I'm pretty much **** out of luck.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I would say that as long as you try to constantly improve at the game, learning new tactics etc. and play regularly with friends who do the same, then you are competitive. This is mostly because I would consider competitive the opposite of casual and a casual player as someone who does not try to master the game and just plays the game for fun.

Top Bottom